Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when the deadline for applications is? I only see USAJOB posting for Trademark Attorney and it makes it seem like you need a lot of prior experience. Thanks!
The job you are referring to is different than the one discussed in this thread. If you are interested in entry level federal attorney jobs look for ones that start at GS-11. Based on past years expect the Trademark Office to post more entry level positions in October or November for a Spring start date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:02 am

Contingent offer call yesterday afternoon. Anyone know how long to expect between contingent and formal offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Contingent offer call yesterday afternoon. Anyone know how long to expect between contingent and formal offer?
From earlier in the thread it looks like it can take a week or two. Did they contact your references yet? Did they ask to speak to your current supervisor? It looks like some people were asked that last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Contingent offer call yesterday afternoon. Anyone know how long to expect between contingent and formal offer?
Can anyone else confirm this? Past procedure seems to indicate that offer calls are made to all applicants on the same day. Meaning those of us that didn't get an offer probably won't be receiving one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Can anyone else confirm this? Past procedure seems to indicate that offer calls are made to all applicants on the same day. Meaning those of us that didn't get an offer probably won't be receiving one.
Yesterday I received a contingent offer as well. They also contacted at least one of my references yesterday, but I haven't received a formal offer yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Has anyone previously not selected for this position NOT received notification of their rejection?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:48 pm

The invitation to interview email said the interviews would continue through Sept. 22. How can they have made all decisions? Do they send notice of a final decision either way, or are we left wondering?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The invitation to interview email said the interviews would continue through Sept. 22. How can they have made all decisions? Do they send notice of a final decision either way, or are we left wondering?
It's possible they're contacting people in waves, to create a buffer should some people reject their contingent/soft offers, have their references not check out, or fail the background check. It's also possible that with clerkships and other hiring waves starting that some interviewees cancelled their interviews and freed up time. Finally, it's also possible that they save the last "week" from Sept. 15-22 as a buffer in case other interviewees have to reschedule for some reason last-minute. Regardless, they said in interviews that offers would come down at the end of September and start date would be October 31, so if we don't hear anything next week we may have to assume we're nixed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:11 am

Has anyone who applied to the October posting heard back yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who applied to the October posting heard back yet?
No, I was wondering the same thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:11 am

I wonder if why they are taking so long is because of the election....I have a feeling that they wanted to see who would win before increasing the PTO workforce.

This issue was raised in this subreddit. What do you people think? Is the PTO just taking a little more time than usual to request written statements? Or are we all going to simultaneously end up receiving a rejection email with no explanation?

frambollin

New

Post by frambollin » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:07 pm

I just received the written statement request.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:44 pm

frambollin wrote:I just received the written statement request.
Good luck to you :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:59 pm

I also received a written statement request! This is my first time applying and I spent last night reading through this entire thread. I turned my statement in on Monday and look forward to the next step!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:00 pm

I got an interview request this afternoon. Anybody else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:02 pm

I got an interview request today too!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got an interview request today too!
Same. Woot!

Do we know how many openings?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got an interview request today too!
Same. Woot!

Do we know how many openings?
Probably about 20 or so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Bummer - no interview request here. Received the written statement request 11/10 and sent it back in 11/15. Think I'm out of luck, or is there a chance for two waves of interview requests?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:37 pm

This site is great for finding out the status of applications (Did you get a request for a writing sample? Have people started getting invitations to interview? Have they called you back? Are you hired?), but really short on helpful information for the actual interview. I have interviewed and would like to share some info so you can be more prepared for your own interview.

Caveat: I have not yet gotten an offer or rejection. I can't tell you then what actually "worked" for me, since I have no idea if anything did! But at least you can have an idea of the process and questions.

Two panel interviews in one day. The first panel tells you about the job - but also asks you questions! The second panel assumes you now know more about the job and may ask you many of the same questions. Many of the questions I got were about my ability to produce work in a timely manner (since there are weekly production goals), my ability to accept criticism of my work (office actions are not like other writing you may have done, and your work is monitored pretty closely for at least the first 6 months), your ability to accept and adapt to training from the USPTO (especially if you have any trademark or other practice experience already), where you see yourself in 3-5 years, and any exposure you have had to trademarks already. On the scale of interviews, I would say it was one of the least painful ones I have ever done for sure.

Also, keep applying. I have met and heard of so many people who applied many times, interviewed multiple times, finally got an offer. The same way we hear about people coming straight out of unrelated clerkships and even directly from law school and getting offers from the USPTO or other federal agencies (doesn't that just make you a little crazy!). Some of it is luck, some of it is your competition (sure, you're great - but so was basically everyone else this time), some of it is who you know, some of it is it was raining on a Monday and the interviewer hates the color blue... who knows! But keep trying! Thankfully they have positions open up on a regular basis. I know this is easier said than done, I have applied multiple times myself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This site is great for finding out the status of applications (Did you get a request for a writing sample? Have people started getting invitations to interview? Have they called you back? Are you hired?), but really short on helpful information for the actual interview. I have interviewed and would like to share some info so you can be more prepared for your own interview.

Caveat: I have not yet gotten an offer or rejection. I can't tell you then what actually "worked" for me, since I have no idea if anything did! But at least you can have an idea of the process and questions.

Two panel interviews in one day. The first panel tells you about the job - but also asks you questions! The second panel assumes you now know more about the job and may ask you many of the same questions. Many of the questions I got were about my ability to produce work in a timely manner (since there are weekly production goals), my ability to accept criticism of my work (office actions are not like other writing you may have done, and your work is monitored pretty closely for at least the first 6 months), your ability to accept and adapt to training from the USPTO (especially if you have any trademark or other practice experience already), where you see yourself in 3-5 years, and any exposure you have had to trademarks already. On the scale of interviews, I would say it was one of the least painful ones I have ever done for sure.

Also, keep applying. I have met and heard of so many people who applied many times, interviewed multiple times, finally got an offer. The same way we hear about people coming straight out of unrelated clerkships and even directly from law school and getting offers from the USPTO or other federal agencies (doesn't that just make you a little crazy!). Some of it is luck, some of it is your competition (sure, you're great - but so was basically everyone else this time), some of it is who you know, some of it is it was raining on a Monday and the interviewer hates the color blue... who knows! But keep trying! Thankfully they have positions open up on a regular basis. I know this is easier said than done, I have applied multiple times myself.
I cannot thank you enough for this. How long did the interview last? How many USPTO employees participated in the panels? I'm guessing that they aren't doing telephone interviews anymore.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:35 am

Each panel was... 30-45 minutes? Sorry, I wasn't really paying attention to the time. But not so long that things got awkward :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:36 am

And I would say... about 10 people each panel?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Does anyone know when offers might go out? I know the class is expected to start January 17ish - that doesn't leave much time!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:33 pm

Did they tell you at the interview that the class is supposed to start in January? The original job posting said there would be two classes, one starting in March and one in May. January 17 seems very soon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”