Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:29 pm

Is the prod. schedule super demanding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is the prod. schedule super demanding?

There is a long ramp-up period. You'll have a ton of info thrown at you, and a lot of it won't stick. They realize that and provide a ton of help during the first few months. Soak up what you can and trust the process. Once it clicks it's not that hard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Has anyone who received a reference check call for the January class received a hard offer yet? Is it pretty standard that those that receive reference checks are hired, so long as those references check out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who received a reference check call for the January class received a hard offer yet? Is it pretty standard that those that receive reference checks are hired, so long as those references check out?
I just received my final offer today and I was called early for October offers. It's been almost two weeks since the tentative offers were sent out. I don't know if Jan offers are being sent out later, but if so, I highly doubt they have been sent yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Has anyone gotten more soft offer calls for the jan class? I got a missed call from the USPTO yesterday but they didn't
leave a voicemail nor have they contacted me again. Cant think of any reason to call other than to make a soft offer. Can anyone tell me the specific person who called them?i want to see if it is the same person

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tanng12

New

Post by Tanng12 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Very few choose to leave due to the benefits. However exit options are great after 2 years. After 4-5 years they tend to disappear
So firms don't want EA's who stay at the USPTO longer than 4-5 years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten more soft offer calls for the jan class? I got a missed call from the USPTO yesterday but they didn't
leave a voicemail nor have they contacted me again. Cant think of any reason to call other than to make a soft offer. Can anyone tell me the specific person who called them?i want to see if it is the same person
I was contacted by an individual listed on a USPTO contact information web page as a "managing attorney." She called me from the phone number listed as her's.

Here is the link to that page: https://www.uspto.gov/trademark/contact ... nformation

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Hmmm the number that contacted me was from an administrative support analyst. Super weird. Has anyone else been contacted by the same? I just can’t figure out why else someone from the uspto would call me. ESP since they haven’t called back again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Also has anyone been contacted by the uspto for any reason other than for an offer/ asking to check references?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is the prod. schedule super demanding?

There is a long ramp-up period. You'll have a ton of info thrown at you, and a lot of it won't stick. They realize that and provide a ton of help during the first few months. Soak up what you can and trust the process. Once it clicks it's not that hard.
I’ve heard it’s not ucommon for the first few months to work long hours during the week and come in on the weekends to make production goals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:06 am

Damn, really? I heard it was manageable. Any truth to having to work late nights and weekends?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Damn, really? I heard it was manageable. Any truth to having to work late nights and weekends?

It depends on the person. There are some people in each class that will have to do that at first, but the majority don't. It's all about time management and cutting out inefficiencies

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Does anyone know the start date for January?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:34 pm

I called Melisa McGrath yesterday to inquire if it is time to give up and move on. She told me that the selection process is still ongoing and that the successful ones will be contacted for reference check and those that are not selected will be notified by the HR department. She seemed a bit annoyed of people calling her for status check on their applications. She told me to quit calling! I understand her frustration but I think that applicant's frustrations are also justifiable. We need closure, either way :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:19 pm

I don't think you should feel bad about asking for an update. Everyone was told at the interviews that selections would go out end of September, and it seems some people were told early October. It is past either of those weeks. People need to put in notices at their current jobs and even move across the country. People may have other offers on the table. It is fair to want some information or closure.

Tanng12

New

Post by Tanng12 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the start date for January?
January 7.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I called Melisa McGrath yesterday to inquire if it is time to give up and move on. She told me that the selection process is still ongoing and that the successful ones will be contacted for reference check and those that are not selected will be notified by the HR department. She seemed a bit annoyed of people calling her for status check on their applications. She told me to quit calling! I understand her frustration but I think that applicant's frustrations are also justifiable. We need closure, either way :)

In the past, like, four years they haven’t bothered to send out “rejection” emails, so who can blame you for calling and asking? I for one am glad you did! It’s news to me that HR will be reaching out to those who weren’t selected. If the USPTO made that a standard hiring/not hiring practice, I’m sure less people would call them begging for some kind of feedback.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:50 pm

First off, thank you to everyone that has contributed to this forum.

I discovered this place preparing for my interview, which was the last day of interviews. I found all the questions people had been asked were dead on and any additional questions were very specific to my background. I started out as a trademark attorney but haven’t practice TM in years. Thanks to this forum I made sure to emphasize my eagerness to relearn and be trained. I also did some temporary legal work, document review, and I think that was seen favorably since it’s repetitive work that requires speed and accuracy. I was nervous at first but my last answer left everyone laughing a bit. My interview was about 40-45mins long.

I got a reference check call this afternoon. I had already given up and was making plans for the rest of the fall and the spring while I waited for the next job announcement.

I was told they would check my references and to be patient because they were busy preparing the Oct class. My name comes at the end of the alphabet, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Good luck!

Tanng12

New

Post by Tanng12 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:First off, thank you to everyone that has contributed to this forum.

I discovered this place preparing for my interview, which was the last day of interviews. I found all the questions people had been asked were dead on and any additional questions were very specific to my background. I started out as a trademark attorney but haven’t practice TM in years. Thanks to this forum I made sure to emphasize my eagerness to relearn and be trained. I also did some temporary legal work, document review, and I think that was seen favorably since it’s repetitive work that requires speed and accuracy. I was nervous at first but my last answer left everyone laughing a bit. My interview was about 40-45mins long.

I got a reference check call this afternoon. I had already given up and was making plans for the rest of the fall and the spring while I waited for the next job announcement.

I was told they would check my references and to be patient because they were busy preparing the Oct class. My name comes at the end of the alphabet, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Good luck!
Wow! You got it on the first try, congrats! That seems almost unheard of if you"ve had any previous experience, per postings here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Tanng12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First off, thank you to everyone that has contributed to this forum.

Good luck!
Wow! You got it on the first try, congrats! That seems almost unheard of if you"ve had any previous experience, per postings here.
I am also an experienced attorney who was selected on the first attempt. Maybe they are recruiting more of a mix?

SatoshiG2

New

Post by SatoshiG2 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm trying to get a better handle on what this position actually pays, assuming one is diligent bonus-wise, and tries to max out on overtime as soon as such becomes available. Assuming that the offer goes out as a GS-11, step 1, what then might one reasonably expect to be paid:
1. During their first year as a GS 11?
2. During their second year, as a GS 12?
3. During their third year, as a GS 13?
4. During their fourth year, as a GS 14?

Are there any TM examiners out there who can shed light on this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Tanng12 wrote:

Good luck!

I feel like a lunatic for looking into this so much buttt can I ask what letter your last name starts with? Also, were you contacted by a managing attorney or someone else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:12 pm

SatoshiG2 wrote:I'm trying to get a better handle on what this position actually pays, assuming one is diligent bonus-wise, and tries to max out on overtime as soon as such becomes available. Assuming that the offer goes out as a GS-11, step 1, what then might one reasonably expect to be paid:
1. During their first year as a GS 11?
2. During their second year, as a GS 12?
3. During their third year, as a GS 13?
4. During their fourth year, as a GS 14?

Are there any TM examiners out there who can shed light on this?
As explained during the interview, what you laid above is correct.

You start first year as GS 11 - 1, second year GS 12 - 1, third year GS 13 -1, and fourth year GS 14 -1. Then 5 years up you go up every year from GS 14 - 2, then GS 14 - 3 ... and so on...

Tanng12

New

Post by Tanng12 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tanng12 wrote:

Good luck!
I am also an experienced attorney who was selected on the first attempt. Maybe they are recruiting more of a mix?
I am so glad to hear that - better to have a mix of staff to bring different things to the table.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:29 pm

Has anyone heard anything today? I had given up hope two weeks ago but then ppl posted last week that they were getting reference check calls. Not sure when its time to give up!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”