Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:34 pm

For those of you who need to give more than 2 weeks notice, what is your strategy? Considering that in the past it might be weeks between the initial reference check and the firm offer, and if references start getting calls at the end of January, would you rather give the proper amount of notice before you get a firm offer, or wait for the firm offer and give less than the full amount of notice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told that they would probably have decisions by the end of January and that if they call your references, you likely got the job. You will probably not get a rejection if you are just below the cut line because they have had issues with people accepting and then not showing up so they wait. I would guess that you would know if you didn't have an offer by March 11! haha
Lovely. That would be a very stressful wait for this 'alternate' status. Really stick it to your current employer. I wonder what kind of time the PTO would give you to fill in for the person that doesn't show up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who need to give more than 2 weeks notice, what is your strategy? Considering that in the past it might be weeks between the initial reference check and the firm offer, and if references start getting calls at the end of January, would you rather give the proper amount of notice before you get a firm offer, or wait for the firm offer and give less than the full amount of notice?
I am currently struggling with this same dilemma. Given the need to be able to apartment hunt and move on top of providing proper notice to the people whose recommendations you would be counting on, I am having to seriously contemplate just resigning now with notice and taking a leap of faith on the USPTO. Maybe old job would take me back after a month or two leave of absence. Otherwise, it would be a horrible show of bad faith as any cases you're currently assisting with would have to be moved around by the firm in reliance on your departure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I am currently struggling with this same dilemma. Given the need to be able to apartment hunt and move on top of providing proper notice to the people whose recommendations you would be counting on, I am having to seriously contemplate just resigning now with notice and taking a leap of faith on the USPTO. Maybe old job would take me back after a month or two leave of absence. Otherwise, it would be a horrible show of bad faith as any cases you're currently assisting with would have to be moved around by the firm in reliance on your departure.
I'm the poster you replied to above. Personally, I'm leaning toward letting my boss know as close to the notice deadline as possible. So, if I've gotten a soft offer by, say February 8, I might say "Hey, I have this soft offer and I'm pretty sure it'll turn into a firm offer, just a heads up." Hopefully, being honest and upfront about it won't come back to bite me if it doesn't work out and I stay at a firm that knows I tried to leave.

S.P.F. 30

New

Post by S.P.F. 30 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I am currently struggling with this same dilemma. Given the need to be able to apartment hunt and move on top of providing proper notice to the people whose recommendations you would be counting on, I am having to seriously contemplate just resigning now with notice and taking a leap of faith on the USPTO. Maybe old job would take me back after a month or two leave of absence. Otherwise, it would be a horrible show of bad faith as any cases you're currently assisting with would have to be moved around by the firm in reliance on your departure.
I'm the poster you replied to above. Personally, I'm leaning toward letting my boss know as close to the notice deadline as possible. So, if I've gotten a soft offer by, say February 8, I might say "Hey, I have this soft offer and I'm pretty sure it'll turn into a firm offer, just a heads up." Hopefully, being honest and upfront about it won't come back to bite me if it doesn't work out and I stay at a firm that knows I tried to leave.
Agreed. Problem is that notice deadline changes based on location. For those local, Feb. 8 might be a good suggestive deadline as it would still allow about two weeks to pack and move if needed and still have the weekends at the beginning of Feb to do said house-hunting. While people actually do have to apply for most apartments these days, the application period is usually only as long as it takes to run the credit check, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:08 pm

USPTO operating status posted on their website yesterday:

"January 24, 2019

The USPTO has been functioning as normal using its reserve funds, comprised of fees collected prior to the beginning of the partial lapse in funding on December 22, 2018. In the absence of an appropriations bill, we have no authority to access fees collected since that time in accordance with the law.

Based on current estimates and expenditure rates, we expect our reserves to fund patent operations to last until at least the second week in February, and trademark operations to last until at least mid-April 2019.

The agency continues to evaluate options for conserving funds to lengthen the time those operations can continue for as long as possible."

Does anyone know if this will affect the announcements or start time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:24 pm

Welp, looks like its gonna another week to sweat it out ladies and fellas

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Welp, looks like its gonna another week to sweat it out ladies and fellas
Based on what?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Welp, looks like its gonna another week to sweat it out ladies and fellas
Based on what?
They probably based it on the fact that they had written it on Friday afternoon and nobody has posted anything about getting a call, meaning that we are now putting our hopes on hearing back this week instead of last week. Haha.

On a more serious note, does anyone have some non-destructive ways they are coping with this countdown that they can suggest? Also, has everyone just kept this secret from their current jobs or have you finally clued your bosses in that this might happen?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Based on what?
They probably based it on the fact that they had written it on Friday afternoon and nobody has posted anything about getting a call, meaning that we are now putting our hopes on hearing back this week instead of last week. Haha.

On a more serious note, does anyone have some non-destructive ways they are coping with this countdown that they can suggest? Also, has everyone just kept this secret from their current jobs or have you finally clued your bosses in that this might happen?
Besides frantically F5'ing this thread, nothing :lol: Still keeping mum on the whole thing (especially since no one's gotten a reference call yet) and obsessively checking my phone for any missed calls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:22 pm

I was told during my interview that they would start contacting us the first week of February. That this week and last week they would use to make their determinations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm

If Friday is February 1 does that mean it counts as the first week of February or no?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told during my interview that they would start contacting us the first week of February. That this week and last week they would use to make their determinations.
Two additional weeks on top of the 3 weeks spent for the interviews. That's frightening.

Given how many people were in the interview, I am curious as to how they are going to pick who goes where. Probably just everyone submitted their list ranking each candidate and then it goes down the line by seniority for placement until all spots are claimed. Is it wrong that I am laughing at the image of all those managing attorneys sitting in a conference room going thru the worst Fantasy Football draft ever?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 pm

Which pick goes where? Aren't all the positions Trademark Attorneys? Or did you mean which supervisor you get? I got the sense that we would hear at the end of this week but it could always drag into next week. It is the government after all. But then, they need people to start on March 11....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which pick goes where? Aren't all the positions Trademark Attorneys? Or did you mean which supervisor you get? I got the sense that we would hear at the end of this week but it could always drag into next week. It is the government after all. But then, they need people to start on March 11....
yes, which supervisor we get placed with (or "Law Office," https://www.uspto.gov/trademark/contact ... nformation).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:09 pm

I know there were at least two interview rooms going on at the same time (I was waiting with an interviewee with the same time slot as myself). I was told they are trying to give us their final selection with at least a month’s notice before March 11. They said they hope to know by end of January or early February.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Got a notification from LinkedIn and saw that a senior attorney at USPTO looked at my page. Maybe reading too much into this but hopefully this means they’re in the process of evaluating people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a notification from LinkedIn and saw that a senior attorney at USPTO looked at my page. Maybe reading too much into this but hopefully this means they’re in the process of evaluating people.
Nice. Makes it sound like they are interested. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Based on what?

I interviewed for the Law Clerk job back in August and was not offered a position. So this being my second round, I've certainly learned a thing or two to lessen the anxiety as I wait haha I suggest mindfulness exercises to reduce anxiety - after all, what we're all worried about is now out of our control, so why worry? We did our best in the interviews and can now only wait for a decision to be made.* If anyone is looking for specific mindfulness exercises for lawyers, I highly recommend Jeena Cho's resources: https://jeenacho.com/

Also definitely limit the number of times you check this site. Easier said than done, but once that first person posts about getting a soft offer, it's easy to worry if you'll ever hear back and frantically check here to see how many spots may be left. The truth is, quite a few people who interview and get hired aren't even aware of, let alone posting, on this website. So you'll thank yourself later. You either hear back or you don't. My best advice is to continue living/enjoying your life and don't put it all on hold for this one job opportunity.

*If you're wondering about whether or not you did your best in the interview, it still doesn't help to worry - who knows, maybe you'll get a second chance in the next round of hiring, like I did. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi All,

HIRED!

Just got the call today!!! They stated they are calling my references and they sent out official hiring notice to my residence. No change on my USAJOBS status, but I guess that is to be expected...since that aspect always seems to be months behind.

:D :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi All,

HIRED!

Just got the call today!!! They stated they are calling my references and they sent out official hiring notice to my residence. No change on my USAJOBS status, but I guess that is to be expected...since that aspect always seems to be months behind.

Congrats!

Was it HR that called or the Managing atty you'd be working under?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi All,

HIRED!

Oh man, congrats. Ok then here we go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:55 pm

FYI to everyone wondering whether they will hear something today-the federal government is closing a couple of hours early due to some bad weather expected to roll into DC tonight. That might impact notifications.

S.P.F. 30

New

Post by S.P.F. 30 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FYI to everyone wondering whether they will hear something today-the federal government is closing a couple of hours early due to some bad weather expected to roll into DC tonight. That might impact notifications.

Thanks for the heads up and Confirmed: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... nt-status/

DC Fed employees granted 2 hour early departure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:26 pm

S.P.F. 30 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FYI to everyone wondering whether they will hear something today-the federal government is closing a couple of hours early due to some bad weather expected to roll into DC tonight. That might impact notifications.

Thanks for the heads up and Confirmed: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... nt-status/

DC Fed employees granted 2 hour early departure.
You don't think that they had enough time to make all the calls today?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”