Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything today? I had given up hope two weeks ago but then ppl posted last week that they were getting reference check calls. Not sure when its time to give up!
They haven’t posted for fall hiring yet, and I would be surprised if they don’t do another round, so that’s kinda what I’m waiting for...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:18 am

I just heard that the Jan 2019 hiring will be finalized this week. October selection is officially over. Also, new round of hiring for around 15 trademark attorneys will be advertised soon, in the next week or so. Keep the hope going :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just heard that the Jan 2019 hiring will be finalized this week. October selection is officially over. Also, new round of hiring for around 15 trademark attorneys will be advertised soon, in the next week or so. Keep the hope going :D
Thanks for the information! When you say finalized, does that mean the selected applicants already received their call to check references and that final offers will be sent this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:34 am

I got the firm offer for the January class today!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Received a tentative offer today for January 2019

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received a tentative offer today for January 2019
Congratulations! A firm offer or call to check references?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:14 pm

I received the same call. Tentative offer contingent on completing the background check.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I received the same call. Tentative offer contingent on completing the background check.
Congrats! Me, too. Have you both gotten your email yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:56 pm

I received a "heads up" call that an offer would be forthcoming, contingent on the usual background check. and that an email requesting information for said background check was on its way. However, I've yet to receive said email. Has anyone received said email?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:I received a "heads up" call that an offer would be forthcoming, contingent on the usual background check. and that an email requesting information for said background check was on its way. However, I've yet to receive said email. Has anyone received said email?
I received the email this morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:16 pm

I came across this upcoming event on the USPTO's Twitter page and thought some may find it interesting and informative:

"Join our Twitter chat on 10/23 at 2 pm ET to learn how to become a Trademark Attorney and about upcoming openings."

https://twitter.com/usptojobs?lang=en

barprepforca

New

Post by barprepforca » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:50 pm

Hey all! This thread has been such an amazing resource, I wanted to keep you folks posted. Just got a call today for a reference check for the January class. They apparently have increased the class size so there's still hope for those who haven't heard anything yet. Thanks again for to everyone here, and best of luck to those who are still waiting!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:04 pm

During the course of my interview, I recall mention being made that in addition to the base salary, a trademark examining attorney also qualified for bonuses and paid overtime. I did not think a job interview to be the best time for asking "how much are those typically?" but that time has come. So, has anyone any idea of how soon trademark examining attorneys qualify for bonuses and paid overtime, and how much money these typically are?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Hey all! This thread has been such an amazing resource, I wanted to keep you folks posted. Just got a call today for a reference check for the January class. They apparently have increased the class size so there's still hope for those who haven't heard anything yet. Thanks again for to everyone here, and best of luck to those who are still waiting!
Congratulations! Were you told that they have increased the class size?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:50 pm

barprepforca wrote:Hey all! This thread has been such an amazing resource, I wanted to keep you folks posted. Just got a call today for a reference check for the January class. They apparently have increased the class size so there's still hope for those who haven't heard anything yet. Thanks again for to everyone here, and best of luck to those who are still waiting!

DId you apply for the law clerk or attorney position? THanks for updating us all and congrats!

barprepforca

New

Post by barprepforca » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Congratulations! Were you told that they have increased the class size?
Yes, the individual I spoke to said that they decided to increase the class size. He did not specify, however, how many extra candidates they planned to hire.
Anonymous User wrote:
DId you apply for the law clerk or attorney position? THanks for updating us all and congrats!
I applied for the law clerk position. I am straight out of law school and took the bar in July (still awaiting results). Thanks to you both for the congratulations!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:During the course of my interview, I recall mention being made that in addition to the base salary, a trademark examining attorney also qualified for bonuses and paid overtime. I did not think a job interview to be the best time for asking "how much are those typically?" but that time has come. So, has anyone any idea of how soon trademark examining attorneys qualify for bonuses and paid overtime, and how much money these typically are?
There are three different bonus "categories". You can technically receive the production-based one during your training but it is extremely unlikely. You're eligible for all fairly soon after. Production is the only one that is quarterly and generally goes up to $5k, however it's up to $9k for the next two quarters, subject to extension.

You will not be able to use OT for awhile.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:01 am

Looks like another round of hiring is starting. Posting for licensed attorneys says "50 vacancies." Closing date 11/05/2018.

Posting for TM Examiner (Law Clerk - GS 9): https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/514553000

Posting for TM Examiner (Licensed Attorney - GS 11): https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/514547500

Posting for TM Examiner (for former PTO TM Examiners and CTAP eligible applicants - GS 12-14): https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/514555400

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Looks like another round of hiring is starting. Posting for licensed attorneys says "50 vacancies." Closing date 11/05/2018.

Posting for TM Examiner (Law Clerk - GS 9): https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/514553000

Posting for TM Examiner (Licensed Attorney - GS 11): https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/514547500

Posting for TM Examiner (for former PTO TM Examiners and CTAP eligible applicants - GS 12-14): https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/514555400

1. Is there a minimum GPA requirement for licensed attorney and or law clerk?

2. The application does not ask for a cover letter but is it a good idea to add one anyways?

BarackaObama

New

Post by BarackaObama » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:23 pm

1. I didn't see a minimum GPA.

2. A cover letter may be submitted along with the resume. It states "The submission of a cover letter briefly detailing your interest in the position is also strongly encouraged. Any experience claimed in a cover letter should be substantiated by information contained in your resume." I have always included a cover letter with my application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:43 pm

"There are three different bonus "categories". You can technically receive the production-based one during your training but it is extremely unlikely. You're eligible for all fairly soon after. Production is the only one that is quarterly and generally goes up to $5k, however it's up to $9k for the next two quarters, subject to extension.You will not be able to use OT for awhile."

Thanks. Regarding the "training" period, are you referring to the initial six week (?) training period, or does this refer to the first two years when new hires are on probation? And realistically, what is the amount one can hope to earn as a bonus after the first and second years?

"You will not be able to use OT for awhile" -- How long a while is "awhile"?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:44 pm

I think the Oct. class got the GOAT managing attorney. He seems awesome

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:11 pm

This will be my second crack at applying. Was able to make it to the written statement round. The best of luck to everyone!!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This will be my second crack at applying. Was able to make it to the written statement round. The best of luck to everyone!!!!
Same! If you don't mind me asking, do you think the cover letter should be changed up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:20 pm

I see there is a position listed for examining attorney at GS 11 and also GS 12-14. Does anyone know if you can apply for both? I would think I have a better shot at being selected for GS11 so I don't want to mess that up by applying for GS12 as well. Has anyone applied for both?

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”