Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Attorney Advisor (Trademark Examining Attorney) for USPTO

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:16 am

I'm from upstate ny
Second time applying, interviewed both times
Attorney role both timea

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:08 pm

1) DC
2) 1st cycle
Jan 2019 Interview
3) Attorney Advisor

TGG

New

Post by TGG » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:26 pm

DC area, 1st time applying for the Attorney Advisor position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:03 pm

Every time my phone rings i get excited and then so bummed out when I see that it isn’t PTO. Anyone heard anything today?

S.P.F. 30

New

Post by S.P.F. 30 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Every time my phone rings i get excited and then so bummed out when I see that it isn’t PTO. Anyone heard anything today?
All quiet on the eastern front, as it were.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:28 pm

S.P.F. 30 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Every time my phone rings i get excited and then so bummed out when I see that it isn’t PTO. Anyone heard anything today?
All quiet on the eastern front, as it were.
Same. Possibly, those not participating in this forum are hearing back. Not a lot of time left before the start date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:39 pm

My sense was that they wouldn't call you directly. If you hear from your references that they were called, it's likely you got the job. I wasn't told that exactly but they don't have the resources to call references of people they won't hire. I suppose that means that whoever gets the job will find an offer in their mailbox.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:43 pm

Nothing for me either. But they seem to cutting it close for a March 11 start date. Not giving people a lot of time to pack up their lives and move to DC. Finding an apartment on such short notice is going to hard for a lot of people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My sense was that they wouldn't call you directly. If you hear from your references that they were called, it's likely you got the job. I wasn't told that exactly but they don't have the resources to call references of people they won't hire. I suppose that means that whoever gets the job will find an offer in their mailbox.
You will get a direct call.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

S.P.F. 30

New

Post by S.P.F. 30 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My sense was that they wouldn't call you directly. If you hear from your references that they were called, it's likely you got the job. I wasn't told that exactly but they don't have the resources to call references of people they won't hire. I suppose that means that whoever gets the job will find an offer in their mailbox.
When we first got the invitation to interview and the instructions for the references list, I was informed that they would be contacting the candidates first with a 'soft offer' and give them the chance to reach out to their references before being contacted by the USPTO. This discretion is likely due to the only professional reference most people have for this entry level job are their current employers who are likely being kept in the dark until notice can be given.

Did anyone else hear something different/similar?

Mcupy00

New

Post by Mcupy00 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:49 pm

That was not my takeaway at all. I was explicitly told in my interview that they were going to let everyone know about their decisions, whether you got the job or not. I agree that they would not call references of people they do not plan to hire. But I would expect some kind of direct communication regardless.

I’ve also seen on this forum in prior hiring cycles that they ask for your permission before calling your references. If they stick with this practice (and I haven’t seen or heard anything indicating they are deviating from it), if you’re on the shortlist and they want to call your references then you will likely get a call giving you a heads up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:50 pm

S.P.F. 30 wrote:
When we first got the invitation to interview and the instructions for the references list, I was informed that they would be contacting the candidates first with a 'soft offer' and give them the chance to reach out to their references before being contacted by the USPTO. This discretion is likely due to the only professional reference most people have for this entry level job are their current employers who are likely being kept in the dark until notice can be given.

I just got a call from a Supervising Attorney asking me if I was still interested in the position and that they would be calling my references in the next few days. It wasn't an offer but I should hear back from HR by the end of the week with the actual offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:50 pm

Nothing here either. They are cutting things close for a March 11 start date. People still need to figure out their living situations. A lot of people are going to need to pick up and move fairly quickly.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 pm

I think they'll send emails on wednesday. They have lots of resources so I'm sure some people who get their references called won't get chosen. So far they haven't contacted my references

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
S.P.F. 30 wrote:

I just got a call from a Supervising Attorney asking me if I was still interested in the position and that they would be calling my references in the next few days. It wasn't an offer but I should hear back from HR by the end of the week with the actual offer.

"Still interested?" Haha, that would be how they would ask, wouldn't it? if this post is legit, then congrats, neighbor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:35 pm

I also haven't heard anything. Maybe there's one go-getter Supervising Attorney and the others will be calling later this week? We're five weeks away from the start date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also haven't heard anything. Maybe there's one go-getter Supervising Attorney and the others will be calling later this week? We're five weeks away from the start date.
"Go-getter," as in trying to scoop up the 3 best picks early before the other SA's make their draft picks. 5 weeks and counting, get these applicants while they're fresh and hot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:41 pm

OK, obviously different people have heard different things and one person has apparently been called directly. However, my experience with government positions is that even if you interview, they are notorious for never telling you anything and it becomes obvious after a month or two that they moved on.

Congrats on the offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:02 pm

Usually H.R. handles everything once the manager has made a decision. Having a manager extend even a soft offer is not at all typical of federal government hiring procudures. Extending any type of offer before calling references is also odd as there would be little point in even calling references if even a soft offer had been made. Also soft offers are not typical of federal government.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:07 pm

So either a Supervisor is a little jittery and wants to keep a fish on the hook or the report of a call was bogus? I'm still wondering why that person did that last week...

camdunne

New

Post by camdunne » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Usually H.R. handles everything once the manager has made a decision. Having a manager extend even a soft offer is not at all typical of federal government hiring procudures. Extending any type of offer before calling references is also odd as there would be little point in even calling references if even a soft offer had been made. Also soft offers are not typical of federal government.
Having been through this previously and hearing from other people, the process is generally HR calls candidates asking for permission to speak to references. This serves as the soft offer, if no issues arise with references then a few days later they call with a firm offer and your start date.

But I agree that a managing attorney reaching out is out of the norm and the person who claimed to receive a call is likely lying, possibly the same person who liked last Tuesday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 pm

camdunne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Usually H.R. handles everything once the manager has made a decision. Having a manager extend even a soft offer is not at all typical of federal government hiring procudures. Extending any type of offer before calling references is also odd as there would be little point in even calling references if even a soft offer had been made. Also soft offers are not typical of federal government.
Having been through this previously and hearing from other people, the process is generally HR calls candidates asking for permission to speak to references. This serves as the soft offer, if no issues arise with references then a few days later they call with a firm offer and your start date.

But I agree that a managing attorney reaching out is out of the norm and the person who claimed to receive a call is likely lying, possibly the same person who liked last Tuesday.
Can't be the first troll of the new week if ya wait till Tuesday. Who wants to be this week's sacrificial lamb that calls McGrath for the official statement that decisions have not been made yet and report back to us? :D :D :D

S.P.F. 30

New

Post by S.P.F. 30 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Ok, party people. It's 6 o'clock, USPTO time, and with no further credible reports of any contact, it's looking like another day have come and gone without change. Here's looking to Taco Tuesday for hope.

Until then, stay frosty.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Current examining attorney here. I just wanted to clear up some confusion. For the last several years (and I am not saying that this hasn’t changed for this time around, but I doubt it), including during the cycle when I was hired, the hiring procedure proceeded as follows:

(1) Hiree receives a phone call “ soft offer” from a senior or managing attorney, not HR. (Note: the managing / senior attorney won’t necessarily be in hiree’s future law office.) Hireee will be asked if s/he is still interested in the position and whether it’s okay to contact references. If you receive this call you are just about as good as hired (barring some very unusual circumstances such as you lied on resume, you’re not a US citizen, or have some major skeletons in your closet).

(2) References called.

(3) Receive informal tentative offer call from HR. They will explain some specifics regarding the job such as pay, etc., and will ask if still interested in the job.

(4) Receive email with “tentative offer” and request to fill out and submit preliminary background investigation forms and get fingerprinted.

(5) Receive email with “formal offer” and request to fill out and submit additional, more substantial, background investigation forms.

Good luck, everybody!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current examining attorney here. I just wanted to clear up some confusion. For the last several years (and I am not saying that this hasn’t changed for this time around, but I doubt it), and what my experience was with respect to the the hiring procedure, has been the following:

(1) Hiree will receive a phone call “ soft offer” from a senior or managing attorney, not HR. (Note: the managing / senior attorney won’t necessarily be in hiree’s future law office.) Hireee will be asked if s/he is still interested in the position and whether it’s okay to contact references. If you receive this call, you are as good as hired (barring some very unusual circumstances such as you lied on resume, you’re not a US citizen, or have some major skeletons in your closet).

(2) Refrences called.

(3) Receive infromal tentative offer call from HR. They will explain some specifics regarding the job such as pay, etc., and will ask if still interested in the job.

(4) Recieve email with “tentative offer” and request to fill out and submit preliminary background investigation forms and get fingerprinted.

(5) Recieve email with “formal offer” and request to fill out and submit additional, more substantial, background investigation forms.

Good luck, everybody!
Thanks for the info! From what you've seen, how much time passes between each step? For example, does the formal offer come within a few days after the tentative offer as described in (4), or does that depend on how quickly the candidate submits his/her fingerprints?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”