Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pokemon

Gold

Re: Student loan payments: get advice and actual numbers here

Post by Pokemon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Counting my 401k, nav is above negative 150. 3rd year.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:42 pm

same

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 pm

bk1 wrote:same
yo what's nav mean.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:53 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
bk1 wrote:same
yo what's nav mean.
net asset value

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:57 pm

oh yeah same for sure.

edit: accidental anon

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:58 am

What are the costs associated with refi with FR? I'm looking to pay my 100k debt back ASAP, potentially within first year of work.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are the costs associated with refi with FR? I'm looking to pay my 100k debt back ASAP, potentially within first year of work.
Nothing beyond the other basic requirements for keeping the account in good standing--maintaining a $3500 average daily balance in your checking account, having your paychecks direct deposited, living in one of their service areas. No actual costs aside from servicing the interest. I think thats it. It's a fucking bargain.

If you're going to open an account, let me refer you to my banker. you get a $200 cash bonus and I get $300. win win.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:37 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are the costs associated with refi with FR? I'm looking to pay my 100k debt back ASAP, potentially within first year of work.
Nothing beyond the other basic requirements for keeping the account in good standing--maintaining a $3500 average daily balance in your checking account, having your paychecks direct deposited, living in one of their service areas. No actual costs aside from servicing the interest. I think thats it. It's a fucking bargain.

If you're going to open an account, let me refer you to my banker. you get a $200 cash bonus and I get $300. win win.
I would add that the real "cost" to refinancing is foregoing the ability to use federal repayment plans and federal debt forgiveness (which are a lot more flexible than refinanced options). At 100k, the risk isn't that great, but it's something to consider.

I'd also note that paying off a 100k FR refi in 1 year is not the best EV (since you would generally get a better return from the market), but it's not entirely unreasonable if you just want to be debt free.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'd also note that paying off a 100k FR refi in 1 year is not the best EV (since you would generally get a better return from the market).
Agreed

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:17 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

if you happen to live in FL then you will have to pay the stamp tax on the amount you refinance, which is $350 on 100k. though, if you get the loan documents signed and notarized outside of FL you can avoid it
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:18 pm

JenDarby wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

if you happen to live in FL then you will have to pay the stamp tax on the amount you refinance, which is $350 on 100k. though, if you get the loan documents signed and notarized outside of FL you can avoid it
STAMP TAX? Ummm I pretty sure we defeated the British in this little thing called the Revolutionary War.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:20 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

STAMP TAX? Ummm I pretty sure we defeated the British in this little thing called the Revolutionary War.
:lol: :lol:
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:47 pm

a year into the job (big law):

- put $70k into loans
- put $18k into 401(k)
- have $10k in bank account
- no CC debt or other debt payments

is this admirable or foolish? i haven't refinanced yet but plan to by early 2018.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:a year into the job (big law):

- put $70k into loans
- put $18k into 401(k)

is this admirable or foolish? i haven't refinanced yet but plan to by early 2018.
Two thumbs up.

Depending on the interest rates of your loans, some would say that you should dump your bonus into savings to increase your rainy day fund.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:57 pm

- put $70k into loans
- put $18k into 401(k)

Far better than the vast majority of biglawyers. As smokey said, I would probably up your e-fund (assuming your bank account is your e-fund) to closer to 15-20k and would also recommend maxing out your backdoor roth IRA (5.5k/year).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:35 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

I see online that the deal is FR will refund up to 2% of the total loan if paid back within 48. So, on 100k, that's 2k. I'd have to pay it back very quick if I wanted to essentially pay no interest, since, presumably, the rate would be like 3.5%.

Definitely considering. Probably will do it once Spring semester starts and I'll have received my final disbursement
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:37 pm

dumb question:

if i have a decent amount of CC debt, i should prioritize paying it off over putting anything in a 401k right? just hit the 60 day mark and am now eligible for 401k contributions

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:37 pm

- put $70k into loans
- put $18k into 401(k)

Soooo much better than me.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

I see online that the deal is FR will refund up to 2% of the total loan if paid back within 48. So, on 100k, that's 2k. I'd have to pay it back very quick if I wanted to essentially pay no interest, since, presumably, the rate would be like 3.5%.

Definitely considering
It's an admirable goal, but I don't know how you'd do it on a first year salary even with top of the market bonus. I don't feel like putting this into a spreadsheet, but I feel like you have more than a year before you'd amass 2k in interest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:43 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Definitely considering
It's an admirable goal, but I don't know how you'd do it on a first year salary even with top of the market bonus. I don't feel like putting this into a spreadsheet, but I feel like you have more than a year before you'd amass 2k in interest.
Probably true. My salary isn't even market, but I ran the numbers, and, after tax, I should net about 125. 100 to the loan, and try to get by on 25k for rent/food/etc. Plausible.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Definitely considering
Probably true. My salary isn't even market, but I ran the numbers, and, after tax, I should net about 125. 100 to the loan, and try to get by on 25k for rent/food/etc. Plausible.
$2000 a month to live on is plausible, but difficult in any city that pays close to market.

Doing some mental math now--where the heck are you living that you're not making market but netting $125k post-tax?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:08 pm

- put $70k into loans
- put $18k into 401(k)

Just curious: are you in NYC? What do your monthly expenses, including rent, look like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:19 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Definitely considering
$2000 a month to live on is plausible, but difficult in any city that pays close to market.

Doing some mental math now--where the heck are you living that you're not making market but netting $125k post-tax?
PM'd

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:52 pm

- put $70k into loans
- put $18k into 401(k)

Just be mindful of how much your total loans are, in terms of refinancing. If you want to do FR, you need to have at least $60k in loans left. They also typically like two years of work experience before refinancing, but will be more comfortable in forgoing that if you have a good salary (such as biglaw) and a good amount in savings. So, I would start putting less towards loans, more towards savings, and focus on refinancing as soon as possible. I don't see any reason to delay it.

Also, others have mentioned, if you want to refinance with first republic, I can refer you and we both get $200. PM me if you'd like.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Definitely considering
Easy to do this living anywhere in TX.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”