Character and Fitness worries... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Character and Fitness worries...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 pm

great idea, will def look into it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:09 pm

BUMP.

Any other advice? Should I have a heart to heart with the Dean before "lawyering up"?

Thanks for the support guys.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:21 pm

I might consult a professor I trust and who you think might be an informal advocate on your behalf.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Adb808 wrote:Ooooh. That makes more sense.

I would talk to a lawyer who really knows her sh_t and preferably has connections with your school. In this situation, a lawyer is not for "litigation". You would lose that battle against a law school for sure. The lawyer is to help you put together mitigating factors and assist in discussions with the dean. If you pick someone the dean respects, that could go a long way.
This. And also to help you manage your application with the state bar. (I'm not saying sue the school. That would not likely help your cause.)

There are attorneys who specialize in each of these things, though it's possible there's someone who does both.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:32 pm

aces wrote:I might consult a professor I trust and who you think might be an informal advocate on your behalf.
turns out that my torts prof from last year is also a PR expert, and we have a good rapport (she wrote recs for me for 1L summer gigs)

i should reach out to her, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:48 pm

or wait, won't it now be a conflict for the PR prof, now that the dean is refusing based on my current status?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:45 pm

any tips for the meeting with the dean tmrw?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:03 pm

lukertin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:really? i though a dean's cert was required. let me check; thanks for the head's up.
Nope. For example, my state just required a certified letter stating I was a student there and graduated.
ugh fuck, PA requires a dean's cert

i'm in hot water.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:or wait, won't it now be a conflict for the PR prof, now that the dean is refusing based on my current status?
I doubt it will be a conflict, but I would talk to the prof and let her make the call.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any other advice? Should I have a heart to heart with the Dean before "lawyering up"?

Yea I would set up a meeting with the Dean first, to discuss it. See what he says.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:56 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:or wait, won't it now be a conflict for the PR prof, now that the dean is refusing based on my current status?
I doubt it will be a conflict, but I would talk to the prof and let her make the call.
why do you doubt that it will be a conflict? wouldn't she be hesitant to go against the wishes of a higher up?

i did sent a heartfelt email to the PR prof discussing the situation and asking for guidance.

hopefully she could pull strings for me? ugh. need a fucking miracle.

it's a shame that a minute of angry, impulsive indiscretion can destroy an aspiration in an instant. :cry:
Certainly i should have known better, but i hope that the dean sees my desire for redemption.
I have no debt (schollies and family support) and wanted to work in Legal Aid/PD.
Was excitedly prepping for EJW interviews. Looking forward to putting the past behind me and moving onwards.
Now all those dreams may be gone.

trying to sleep tonight will be awesome. :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:why do you doubt that it will be a conflict? wouldn't she be hesitant to go against the wishes of a higher up?
tenured prof = lol dont care
it's a shame that a minute of angry, impulsive indiscretion can destroy an aspiration in an instant. :cry:
Certainly i should have known better, but i hope that the dean sees my desire for redemption.
I have no debt (schollies and family support) and wanted to work in Legal Aid/PD.
I was in a similarly sticky situation once. dean said "do [this] and we'll pretend it never happened". I did [this].

that was the end of that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:01 am

lukertin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any other advice? Should I have a heart to heart with the Dean before "lawyering up"?

Yea I would set up a meeting with the Dean first, to discuss it. See what he says.
yeah, i called the dean's office earlier this afternoon to set up a meeting.

what to say, other than being contrite, admitting my error, and promising to seek help in some fashion? how else to best advocate for myself?
will it look bad if i cry? i won't be blubbering hysterically, but it will be hard to hold back, given the gravity of the situation. i'm a girl, btw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:why do you doubt that it will be a conflict? wouldn't she be hesitant to go against the wishes of a higher up?
I was in a similarly sticky situation once. dean said "do [this] and we'll pretend it never happened". I did [this].

that was the end of that.
yeah, she is a tenured prof. has taught here for nearly 30 years. expert on PR, and i have a good rapport with her.

similarly sticky? was it as bad as this?

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:yeah, i called the dean's office earlier this afternoon to set up a meeting.

what to say, other than being contrite, admitting my error, and promising to seek help in some fashion?
Don't forget to ask like "What can I do to make this right?"

Try not to cry--If you can't help it, that's one thing, but if you can help it...I don't think it's a good idea. Especially if the dean is a male. he'll just be like 'well fuck me'

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:12 am

will the fact that its a catholic law school make it less likely that they'll budge? *paranoid*

so scared that my moment of assfoolery will cost me a dream.

...and yet, folks with multiple DUIs are admitted left and right.

FML.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Exactly. Plus, academic freedom and faculty governance - deans aren't bosses in the traditional sense. Plus, it's not really legal advice as much as it's advice about academic administration.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:14 am

lukertin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:yeah, i called the dean's office earlier this afternoon to set up a meeting.

what to say, other than being contrite, admitting my error, and promising to seek help in some fashion?
Don't forget to ask like "What can I do to make this right?"

Try not to cry--If you can't help it, that's one thing, but if you can help it...I don't think it's a good idea. Especially if the dean is a male. he'll just be like 'well fuck me'
i like that line--i think i'll use it!

def won't be theatrical with crying or make a scene, but if it comes out, it comes out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:16 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Exactly. Plus, academic freedom and faculty governance - deans aren't bosses in the traditional sense. Plus, it's not really legal advice as much as it's advice about academic administration.
in that case, should i reach out to another prof?

he's my crim/evidence prof, who i have a good rapport with. he's also an expert in PR.

tho the fact that he was prosecutor may make him less sympathetic? lol

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:will the fact that its a catholic law school make it less likely that they'll budge? *paranoid*

FML.
Don't give up yet. Be conciliatory and apologetic and see what you can do. Ask if there is anything you can do prior to graduation to get back in good academc standing so the school will be able to provide you with a Dean's cert when you graduate and apply for C&F. The way I read the email you posted, it seems like he's saying they can't provide those things while you're on probation, not forever.

After you talk to the Dean, try talking to friendly profs and see what they think. I also agree with those suggesting getting a lawyer--there are attorneys who specialize in honest kinds of things, and I know people who have consulted them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote: yeah, she is a tenured prof. has taught here for nearly 30 years. expert on PR, and i have a good rapport with her.

similarly sticky? was it as bad as this?
probably worse...like "you're forever fucked" worse. yours has more of a temporary quality to it, not to say it isn't serious.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:22 am

since ur anon, can u elaborate?

was it an academic violation? or behavioral?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:27 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:will the fact that its a catholic law school make it less likely that they'll budge? *paranoid*

FML.
Don't give up yet. Be conciliatory and apologetic and see what you can do. Ask if there is anything you can do prior to graduation to get back in good academc standing so the school will be able to provide you with a Dean's cert when you graduate and apply for C&F. The way I read the email you posted, it seems like he's saying they can't provide those things while you're on probation, not forever.

After you talk to the Dean, try talking to friendly profs and see what they think. I also agree with those suggesting getting a lawyer--there are attorneys who specialize in honest kinds of things, and I know people who have consulted them
that's how i interpreted the letter as well--that he cant provide cert while i'm on probation, and not forever, tho maybe it's my wishful thinking?

is "professional licensing defense att'y" the correct term for lawyers who deal with C&F matters?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:since ur anon, can u elaborate?

was it an academic violation? or behavioral?
it was the former

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:47 am

ok, thanks. surprised dean waived that.

was is deliberate cheating or careless/unintentional plagiarism?

no judgement zone, bro. (i really have no right to judge others for their c&f faults, given that i acted like a complete a-hole, lol)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”