Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
timmyd

Bronze

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by timmyd » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:35 pm

I received a secondary journal invite last week....should I email all the firms I had already applied to and supplement my resume? I don't want to come across as to needy/aggressive but it may make a difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:41 pm

So I posted this elsewhere but didn't get a response. Should I mass mail NYC offices of firms that dinged me during OCI for other offices? Or once I'm dinged for one office is that pretty much it?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I posted this elsewhere but didn't get a response. Should I mass mail NYC offices of firms that dinged me during OCI for other offices? Or once I'm dinged for one office is that pretty much it?
You should mail other offices. Different offices have different hiring concerns. They will likely know you got dinged by another office and that may make it harder, but it is certainly not impossible and it is certainly worth doing.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:There are about a billion threads about post callback timelines. Stop trying to start some bizarre cavemanlike superstitions about recruting patterns and send some god damn job applications.

Also, you rejection letter is most likely waiting to be sent by a secretary, you'll get it in a week or two.
CHECK YOU MAIL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:23 pm

What's the CW if you massmailed a few weeks ago and/or you did the online apps? Start following up with recruiters? Or sit tight?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:26 am

Is it too late to mass mail the NYC market?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it too late to mass mail the NYC market?
No but get cracking.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:43 am

Read advice in this thread which applies to everyoneeven though addressed to Harvard students:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=214732

And kegs thread which helped people last year:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9#p7010889

I'm not a mass mail expert but someone in kegs there's said they followed up 2 weeks later and then again.

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:25 pm

I have mass mailed to around ~50-60 firms, and I am starting to worry if I am not tailoring my cover letters enough. For those in here who are experienced Mass Mailers, how much tailoring do you do?

I usually only tailor the CL in my first paragraph with a line or two about something unique about the firm, and then I usually keep my second paragraph the same for all firms, more or less.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:27 pm

swimmer11 wrote:I have mass mailed to around ~50-60 firms, and I am starting to worry if I am not tailoring my cover letters enough. For those in here who are experienced Mass Mailers, how much tailoring do you do?

I usually only tailor the CL in my first paragraph with a line or two about something unique about the firm, and then I usually keep my second paragraph the same for all firms, more or less.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=195818 (model spreadsheet has a bunch of cover letters)

Also, 50-60 is a relatively low number.

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 pm

bk1 wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:I have mass mailed to around ~50-60 firms, and I am starting to worry if I am not tailoring my cover letters enough. For those in here who are experienced Mass Mailers, how much tailoring do you do?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=195818 (model spreadsheet has a bunch of cover letters)

Also, 50-60 is a relatively low number.
Yes, I know it is, I have been mass mailing but hesitantly because I don't know if my CL is strong or not. How long is too long for the second paragraph?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:52 pm

Seriously felt down today... Two more rejections (what i thought were my target firms) and wondering whether I will land a job next summer...

Doing another MM carpet-bombing of any firm that I can think of again (while eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream :oops: )

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Another mass-mail turned into a CB today. Firm called and did a phone interview for 30 minutes and ended by asking me back to the office for a CB and a cocktail party this week. I've sent out about 300 emails and received 3 callbacks from them. The yield sucks, but we can do this!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another mass-mail turned into a CB today. Firm called and did a phone interview for 30 minutes and ended by asking me back to the office for a CB and a cocktail party this week. I've sent out about 300 emails and received 3 callbacks from them. The yield sucks, but we can do this!
what market! wow!!! i need to change things up here... :? congrats, btw :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Another mass-mail turned into a CB today. Firm called and did a phone interview for 30 minutes and ended by asking me back to the office for a CB and a cocktail party this week. I've sent out about 300 emails and received 3 callbacks from them. The yield sucks, but we can do this!
Thanks. This is in one of the notoriously difficult markets (SF or DC). I struck out at OCI so this is some much-needed success.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks. This is in one of the notoriously difficult markets (SF or DC). I struck out at OCI so this is some much-needed success.
Congrats brother!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nice. I'm up to one CB in a secondary market from ~750 applications. Your success rate is so much better. I have a screener from alumni e-mailing on Friday though, so fingers crossed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nice. I'm up to one CB in a secondary market from ~750 applications. Your success rate is so much better. I have a screener from alumni e-mailing on Friday though, so fingers crossed.
Holy fuck, you're at 750?! Now I feel like I'm the slacker here. I'm guessing that a big part of my "success" (I hesitate to call it that after striking out at OCI) is my grades. I'm a transfer student and had a near 4.0 GPA from my 1L year but transferred from one coast to the other which was probably a contributing factor in my strike out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Resume launchpad + total scatter shot. The callback is at a market where I NEVER would have expected to be even a month ago. I have very good grades at a T20 (not as good as yours, but still good), but I may strike out at OCI so here's hoping.

I'll be doing a bit more controlled followup over the next week or so in my top market (DC)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Resume launchpad + total scatter shot. The callback is at a market where I NEVER would have expected to be even a month ago. I have very good grades at a T20 (not as good as yours, but still good), but I may strike out at OCI so here's hoping.

I'll be doing a bit more controlled followup over the next week or so in my top market (DC)
Ah, I haven't used resume launchpad. Speaking of follow-ups, I emailed the firms that never got back to me after OCI and none of them have responded to me. Figured I'd at least expedite the dings if anything, but the total silent treatment sucks.

In any case, I wish you well with OCI, your mailings, and your upcoming callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Resume launchpad + total scatter shot. The callback is at a market where I NEVER would have expected to be even a month ago. I have very good grades at a T20 (not as good as yours, but still good), but I may strike out at OCI so here's hoping.

Through resume launchpad, are you getting a bunch of "thanks for sending us your stuff, now go fill out our online form" responses? (I am getting a bunch of these and wonder if it's because of my not-so-stellar grades. I assumed if they liked what they saw on my resume, they would just call me for an interview).

And are you also doing small/medium firms?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 am

Two questions:

Dropped off my resume and transcript at hospitality suites during OCI. Should I also mass mail these firms or does the drop suffice?

The NLJ 350 is locked content, how do I get access to this list? are there similar lists elsewhere?
edit: wikipedia has it -_-

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Through resume launchpad, are you getting a bunch of "thanks for sending us your stuff, now go fill out our online form" responses? (I am getting a bunch of these and wonder if it's because of my not-so-stellar grades. I assumed if they liked what they saw on my resume, they would just call me for an interview).

And are you also doing small/medium firms?
I'm the quoted anon. That happened to me. I think that's just the way it is. If you send multiple e-mails to different offices of certain firms, you'll get one from each (e.g. Jones Day). I also got a lot of "this person doesn't work here anymore, contact this person." Just do your best to keep track of that stuff; apply online if you want (remember this makes applying to multiple offices tricky).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Will mass mailing help at all if my GPA is below median (unlisted in resume) at a T50?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will mass mailing help at all if my GPA is below median (unlisted in resume) at a T50?
What were you going to do instead?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”