Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kratos

Platinum

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by Kratos » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm back end of T14 around median, got 4 callbacks at OCI, interviewed at 3 Mon-Wed...haven't heard anything...

How fucked am I in terms of finding a job through mass mailing?
who knows, you should probably mass mail and find out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:50 pm

Sent out roughly 30 mass mails so far over the last ten days. Got 5 definite dings and one, I think, a straight to callback to meet a "few" attorneys.

I am not sure if it's an accident that all 5 dings came from my first choice city (NYC) and the straight to callback is from the city my school is located in (DC).

Maybe I should make it clearer that I am willing to travel on my own dime on top of "I'm willing to travel for a screener." in the cover letter? I just don't want to come across as desperate as I actually am.

<cramming for tea leaf reading class>

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sent out roughly 30 mass mails so far over the last ten days. Got 5 definite dings and one, I think, a straight to callback to meet a "few" attorneys.

I am not sure if it's an accident that all 5 dings came from my first choice city (NYC) and the straight to callback is from the city my school is located in (DC).

Maybe I should make it clearer that I am willing to travel on my own dime on top of "I'm willing to travel for a screener." in the cover letter? I just don't want to come across as desperate as I actually am.

Mass mailing has a very low success rate generally, so it is more likely to do with that than your cover letter. I personally wouldn't add that line as it makes you sound too desperate. Also, 30 mass mails is nothing.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sent out roughly 30 mass mails so far over the last ten days. Got 5 definite dings and one, I think, a straight to callback to meet a "few" attorneys.

Send more

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Send 300 more and then come back.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:16 pm

give up

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Been MMing for over a month... around 80 firms.. Not a single hit

How have you been mass-mailing for over a month and only hit 80 firms? It's called "mass" mailing for a reason. Send an app to every firm you'd even consider working for, and do it yesterday.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:25 pm

I get that Stranger Things ain't gonna watch itself but seriously guys just mass blast those apps. And then keep blasting. And then blast some more. No, you don't need to read for your Corps class. Yeah, even if he cold calls you. It doesn't matter. But you do need to get a job. That matters. So do what you can to go get it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Where to find more firms? Just ALJ 250?
Also, how long does it take you guys to send each email? I spend about 5 minutes on each; looking at firm, putting address in email body where I copy and paste my CV, fix formatting issues, etc

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Where to find more firms? Just ALJ 250?
Also, how long does it take you guys to send each email? I spend about 5 minutes on each; looking at firm, putting address in email body where I copy and paste my CV, fix formatting issues, etc
You don't send a cover letter?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:03 am

Are you saying you copy/paste your resume and put it into the body of the email rather than attaching a PDF?

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:17 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Are you saying you copy/paste your resume and put it into the body of the email rather than attaching a PDF?
I think Anon thinks CV is short for Cover Letter (or at least that's what I hope).

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:23 pm

I typically attach my resume and copy/past a cover letter into the body of an email and that's it. Have done really well with MM'ing so far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:29 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I think Anon thinks CV is short for Cover Letter (or at least that's what I hope).
Oh, that's probably what it is - it took me so long to get over calling a resume a CV, I got totally confused by that. Never mind!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:10 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Oh, that's probably what it is - it took me so long to get over calling a resume a CV, I got totally confused by that. Never mind!
Yeah I thought CV was also cover letter... Anyway, it takes me probably 10 minutes per MM...Have to find a firm, make sure they do SAs, go through website to find out if they do portal or email, then copy/paste my letter into the email, change the firm name, etc... it takes time. Mostly due to finding the firms and figuring out how they want you to apply

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:52 pm

Got two callbacks (and one offer) out of mass-mailing (New York). Thanks for the advice!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:30 pm

Who do you address the cover letter to? The hiring partner or recruiting contact?

What about if your applying to a job posting on Symplicity?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:30 pm

Who do you address the cover letter to? The hiring partner or recruiting contact?

What about if your applying to a job posting on Symplicity?

miro

New

Post by miro » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:44 pm

The cover letter should be addressed and sent to the recruiting contact for MM'ing. (At least that's what I've done and it's gotten me some callbacks.) Not sure about Symplicity, but I'm guessing that you should address the cover letter to whoever is listed as the contact there, and if no one is listed, the recruiting director for the office, which you can find on the firm's website.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Got a reply from a firm I pre-oci MM'ed asking why I didn't bid on them (or see them) when they were at my school's OCI. How exactly should I respond to this?

miro

New

Post by miro » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:54 pm

This is a little bit tricky. I have not been in this situation, and perhaps other people have better solutions, but you could say that you didn't bid on them because you were trying to get a pre-OCI screener (obviously), and you didn't want to run the risk of getting two screeners from the same firm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:04 pm

How many applications would you guys recommend sending each day? I've been sending around 10-20 a day after striking out at OCI, is that enough? Looking for advice from people who found success mass mailing after OCI.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many applications would you guys recommend sending each day? I've been sending around 10-20 a day after striking out at OCI, is that enough? Looking for advice from people who found success mass mailing after OCI.
There is no magic number.

Send as many as you can, as fast as you can, while maintaining quality (meaning no typos, correct firm/recruiter name, somewhat personalized substance in cover letters, etc.)

Just put your head down and blast. Don't worry about how many you've sent. Keep sending until you're employed.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a reply from a firm I pre-oci MM'ed asking why I didn't bid on them (or see them) when they were at my school's OCI. How exactly should I respond to this?
tell them you thought that you weren't allowed to bid on them if you had applied before oci

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:50 am

How fast should we expect mass mail dings? Because I've gotten nothing so far.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”