Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:01 pm

I struck out at OCI, then I got 5 more callbacks through a combination of massmailing and networking. I now have an offer in hand. It's possible. Don't give up!!

transfertoT1

New

Post by transfertoT1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Is it too late to mass mail now? Ive been mass mailing lots of firms and gotten rejections this far and a lot of firms reply their summer associate class is full.

Also does anyone kno which firms are still hiring?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:00 pm

transfertoT1 wrote:Is it too late to mass mail now? Ive been mass mailing lots of firms and gotten rejections this far and a lot of firms reply their summer associate class is full.
It is not too late in general. There are definitely places still hiring, though obviously less than were hiring earlier.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:03 pm

transfertoT1 wrote:Is it too late to mass mail now? Ive been mass mailing lots of firms and gotten rejections this far and a lot of firms reply their summer associate class is full.
I honestly don't know why anyone asks this question. It's implicit in the question that you don't have a job, which means you should be mass mailing regardless of the relative chance of success. What the hell else are you going to do?
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:43 pm

Def. not late. Got a request for phone screener today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

transfertoT1

New

Post by transfertoT1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:41 pm

Thanks a lot! Im just getting so many rejections is disappointing

smashes

New

Post by smashes » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Just want to echo what people have been saying, it isn't too late.

So keep mass mailing and sending your resume out as far as you can. I had two firms reach me yesterday to schedule callbacks. I sent my resume to them over a month ago. I already accepted an offer, so I know there are places still looking for SAs.

transfertoT1

New

Post by transfertoT1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:32 am

Thanks thats helpful. Im guessing it might be because some students turn down jobs! Do you mind sharing what firms reached out to you?

Thanks!

smashes

New

Post by smashes » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:32 am

transfertoT1 wrote:Thanks thats helpful. Im guessing it might be because some students turn down jobs! Do you mind sharing what firms reached out to you?

Thanks!
Yeah, Alston & Bird and Foley & Lardner

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:58 pm

Dont give up hope. I am at T14 with a strong resume and struck out from OCI [1 CB, ding]. Been MMing and applying to everything I hear of from OCS. Landed 2 CBs in last week. Was at rock bottom a few weeks ago feeling like everything was closing up, but firms who are getting rejections from offered-applicants are searching to snag people fast.....keep grinding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Just received an offer from a firm I mass mailed. They offered me an interview, I took it and tried my best, and somehow got an offer. Secondary market firm. After 30+ interviews, 300 apps, all I can say is do not give up.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received an offer from a firm I mass mailed. They offered me an interview, I took it and tried my best, and somehow got an offer. Secondary market firm. After 30+ interviews, 300 apps, all I can say is do not give up.
This post should be stickied at the top of every new page.

Congrats, anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:30 am

cannibal ox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just received an offer from a firm I mass mailed. They offered me an interview, I took it and tried my best, and somehow got an offer. Secondary market firm. After 30+ interviews, 300 apps, all I can say is do not give up.
This post should be stickied at the top of every new page.

Congrats, anon.
Appreciate it. It took me targeting a secondary market that I had never been to, but it is still well-known legal market and pays 160 so I am happy.
For anyone else doing the MM campaign.. It is a long road. Dings become numb after a while. You just keep going, keep applying, keep following up. I think of myself as someone who is emotionally very stable, but the OCI strike out/150+ ding letters from firms takes a toll.. I was beginning to realize my dream at working at a large firm was never going to happen. Then one of my MMs invited me in, (less nervous than any other interview, maybe because I've done so many by this point I was more relaxed) I went in and a week later, got an offer.

Stay positive and keep grinding everyone. This OCI / SA hunt was probably one of the most draining/frustrating times of my life..Hearing all my classmates talk about their multiple offers from OCI, having no worry in the world with their biglaw 2L SA lined up a week after OCI..It seriously took a toll. Persistence is key. Keep fighting!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Any offers Cole Schotz or updates

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any offers Cole Schotz or updates
The hiring committee has met. No offers have gone out yet to my knowledge. Plan is to have it all wrapped up by the end of the month, though I know that is probably little comfort if you're waiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:58 pm

I was told it would take a couple more weeks. I figured this is a wait list. Anyone have confirmed offer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:58 pm

I was told it would take a couple more weeks. I figured this is a wait list. Anyone have confirmed offer

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any offers Cole Schotz or updates
Anonymous User wrote:I was told it would take a couple more weeks. I figured this is a wait list. Anyone have confirmed offer
please read the thread title

naschkatze

New

Post by naschkatze » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:56 pm

Last edited by naschkatze on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New

Post by Offline » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:40 am

V10 firm called me 4 months after I applied. June to late September. Apparently they kept my resume and ran a search term for the key words matching the position.

I did not get an offer there after interviewing (got an offer elsewhere) but don't think that your MM is going nowhere. I kid you not, I expected nothing to come back, but some employers literally called me 1 month later saying "I always wanted to call you in for an interview but I was just too swamped."

You will get better and see more ways you can fix your app and approach as you go through the mm cycle. I sent out about 120 and got about 10 or so hits. about 6 interviews and 3 offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:36 am

Just got a biglaw offer yesterday afternoon, 2 months after I MM'd the firm. There's still hope!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a biglaw offer yesterday afternoon, 2 months after I MM'd the firm. There's still hope!
Can you please provide aprox rank / grades / etc? thank you.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got a biglaw offer yesterday afternoon, 2 months after I MM'd the firm. There's still hope!
Can you please provide aprox rank / grades / etc? thank you.
please read the thread title

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:42 pm

Although I landed an offer via MM, I just inquired about a CB had a few weeks ago from MM. HR tells me, straight up, "we have no final decision yet, but I do not think you will receive the offer; other candidates were a better match." That's literally verbatim. Kind of refreshing that she was so transparent, but still kinda sucks....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:34 pm

same poster as above. Just went back and read the MM I sent the firm I have an offer at... I attached my resume twice and said "here is my resume and writing sample."

Just goes to show you even though you mess up an email, if the firm is interested, you can still be called in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”