Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Those who have had success MMing, about how long after your initial email did you begin to receive responses? I sent about +100 emails over the course of last week and have yet to receive anything besides approximately 5 "apply online" responses.
Couple weeks maybe

Keep blasting

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those who have had success MMing, about how long after your initial email did you begin to receive responses? I sent about +100 emails over the course of last week and have yet to receive anything besides approximately 5 "apply online" responses.
Varied. I got responses anywhere from 5 minutes to months after my initial e-mail. Just make sure you're keeping track of who hasn't gotten back to you and follow up every few weeks.

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:06 pm

What's the best way to MM a firm you bid on for OCI but didn't secure a spot with?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:43 pm

MurdockLLP wrote:What's the best way to MM a firm you bid on for OCI but didn't secure a spot with?
Hi I'm Super Awesome Candidate, I really like your firm because of Super Awesome Practice Group plus Reasons, I bid on your firm at OCI and was totally bummed to see I did not get an interview, please interview me, k thx bye

loh

New

Post by loh » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:45 pm

So far mm'd to about 60 firms. Got 3 interviews - 1 reject , 1 waiting, 1 to be had next week. I almost fucked myself over being complacent after landing 2 interviews. I realize none of them can turn into an offer. So I soldier on and apply more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:53 pm

star fox wrote:
MurdockLLP wrote:What's the best way to MM a firm you bid on for OCI but didn't secure a spot with?
Hi I'm Super Awesome Candidate, I really like your firm because of Super Awesome Practice Group plus Reasons, I bid on your firm at OCI and was totally bummed to see I did not get an interview, please interview me, k thx bye
Reached out to a bunch of people at different firms I know who I did not get interviews with last Thursday. A number responded and asked for my materials to send to recruiting. I haven't heard anything yet. When should I follow up again?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:01 am

Do we mail, or email? What materials to be included in the mail (or email)?

BTW 1/3 in the class but came out very bad during OCI. Any suggestion abt how to improve the interview skill?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do we mail, or email? What materials to be included in the mail (or email)?

BTW 1/3 in the class but came out very bad during OCI. Any suggestion abt how to improve the interview skill?
I suggest you read TLS, since all of these topics are covered in depth.

For mass mailing, you use email. Email the recruiter your cover letter, resume, and transcript.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:26 pm

I go to a T30 CA school. Do I have a chance at NY firms or would that be a waste of time to mass-mail them? Any thought appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a T30 CA school. Do I have a chance at NY firms or would that be a waste of time to mass-mail them? Any thought appreciated.
This depends on a lot of factors (there is no T30 school where nobody has a chance), but regardless you might as well try.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:24 pm

rite. to give more perspectives, my grades are not great-around median. I do have relevant experience so there might be 'fit' with what they do, though I have no idea NY's cut-offs for CA schools. what factors did you have in mind if you don't mind me asking?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:rite. to give more perspectives, my grades are not great-around median. I do have relevant experience so there might be 'fit' with what they do, though I have no idea NY's cut-offs for CA schools. what factors did you have in mind if you don't mind me asking?
Grades, work experience, IP, diversity, luck, persistence, etc. As I said though, you might as well try regardless of all that. The worst that'll happen is you'll be in the same position you were at the start.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:03 pm

is this the worst time to send MM or follow up emails? i sent out 3 follow ups and all 3 were out of the office for OCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:is this the worst time to send MM or follow up emails? i sent out 3 follow ups and all 3 were out of the office for OCI.
Harvard and NYU oci are both ongoing right now

Eta and yale

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:46 pm

I've sent out 150 this past week with no responses, other than about a dozen dings and a dozen others redirecting me to their online application portal. I'm tired and discouraged.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've sent out 150 this past week with no responses, other than about a dozen dings and a dozen others redirecting me to their online application portal. I'm tired and discouraged.
Keep blasting. Send more.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:52 am

BigZuck wrote: Keep blasting. Send more.
I see you post so much esp. for Texas and am if curious you know a lot about tx firms. I was gonna DM you a question about one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:42 am

Dr. Nefario wrote:
BigZuck wrote: Keep blasting. Send more.
I see you post so much esp. for Texas and am if curious you know a lot about tx firms. I was gonna DM you a question about one.
Sure, I'll help if I can

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Is there a guide / template that exists on the website I've been unable to find about how to 'do' mass mailing? Do people use a generic cover letter? etc.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a guide / template that exists on the website I've been unable to find about how to 'do' mass mailing? Do people use a generic cover letter? etc.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=195818
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=178520

You should be tailoring your cover letters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm back end of T14 around median, got 4 callbacks at OCI, interviewed at 3 Mon-Wed...haven't heard anything...

How fucked am I in terms of finding a job through mass mailing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm back end of T14 around median, got 4 callbacks at OCI, interviewed at 3 Mon-Wed...haven't heard anything...

How fucked am I in terms of finding a job through mass mailing?
Last year I had a really promising screener/CB through MM but didn't end with an offer. Seems like the screener-->CB chances are higher though through MMing, both from what Ive read on TLS and ime.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Is it panic mode if screening interview was five days ago and its been S I L E N C E ? When is it acceptable to lose all hope?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Been MMing for over a month... around 80 firms.. Not a single hit

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Been MMing for over a month... around 80 firms.. Not a single hit
80 isnt a lot
Anonymous User wrote:Is it panic mode if screening interview was five days ago and its been S I L E N C E ? When is it acceptable to lose all hope?
this sounds like a tea leaves question

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”