Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Reminder: Stop reading tea leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've mass mailed some firms but heard nothing back from most (I've received one "thanks for sending us your info" and two "thanks but we're not interested"). Some of these firms I sent my info mid- to late- August. How do I go about following up?
bump

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are y'all emailing the firms or actually sending out physical letters in the mail?
I've just been sending emails.
Email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:11 am

i have been getting quick turn around mass-mail rejections... two inside of 3 hours of mm'ing the recruiter :shock:

time to keep on keeping on (aka: csws)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:i have been getting quick turn around mass-mail rejections... two inside of 3 hours of mm'ing the recruiter :shock:

I'm right there with you. I've mass-mailed about 200 firms and have nothing to show for it thus far besides an inbox full of silence and rejection. One firm's rejection said not to take it personally... (it's not you, it's me!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i have been getting quick turn around mass-mail rejections... two inside of 3 hours of mm'ing the recruiter :shock:

I'm right there with you. I've mass-mailed about 200 firms and have nothing to show for it thus far besides an inbox full of silence and rejection. One firm's rejection said not to take it personally... (it's not you, it's me!)
Done around ~120 I think, only gotten 1 interview from it. But most of these I've done this week so I'm gonna give it another week or so before I lose hope on all of them. And obviously I'm gonna keep applying places.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:49 am

Podiatry school FTW for me if no job 3 months post bar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:56 am

So somewhat of a stupid question... when sending emails, it seems like the general advice is to make a PDF of your cover letter, resume, and transcript. So what do you actually write in the body of the email? Would it be better if I just copy and pasted the cover letter into the body of the email and just send a PDF of my resume and transcript?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:09 pm

hoos89 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So somewhat of a stupid question... when sending emails, it seems like the general advice is to make a PDF of your cover letter, resume, and transcript. So what do you actually write in the body of the email? Would it be better if I just copy and pasted the cover letter into the body of the email and just send a PDF of my resume and transcript?
Generally it looks better to make the cover letter a PDF. If you do that, then the body of the e-mail is very short.

If you're using resume launchpad, then you should put the cover letter in the body of the e-mail.

That makes sense. So would the body of the email just say something to the effect of To Whom It May Concern: Please see attached documents... Sincerely....? Any one have a template of what the body is actually supposed to read?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've mass mailed some firms but heard nothing back from most (I've received one "thanks for sending us your info" and two "thanks but we're not interested"). Some of these firms I sent my info mid- to late- August. How do I go about following up?
bump
I would email again to say you are still interested and to ask about the hiring process. Some people call. I'm not an expert on mass mailing though.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bump
You can also update your application with anything new as a way to refresh your app. E.g. Journal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Today, the mass-mailing gods have smiled upon me. After nothing but silence and rejection, three firms have asked me to interview with them. One of the firms is a few hundred miles away and I'll have to pay for plane tickets, but the other two are in my current market which makes things really easy.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today, the mass-mailing gods have smiled upon me. After nothing but silence and rejection, three firms have asked me to interview with them. One of the firms is a few hundred miles away and I'll have to pay for plane tickets, but the other two are in my current market which makes things really easy.
Thats awesome! Congrats! And hopefully the good news keeps coming for ya!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today, the mass-mailing gods have smiled upon me. After nothing but silence and rejection, three firms have asked me to interview with them. One of the firms is a few hundred miles away and I'll have to pay for plane tickets, but the other two are in my current market which makes things really easy.
Nice.

BostonLove

New

Post by BostonLove » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Congratulations!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:03 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

rouser

Bronze

Post by rouser » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:09 pm

bk187 wrote:This needs a serious bump. Heck, I'm tempted to sticky it.
you should sticky it and change the title to get more posts in here.
NickDenver1 wrote:So far I've just been visiting firm websites and sending apps to recruiting people. Has anyone had success using resume launchpad though? I want to use it but I don't want it to look like I've used it.
might try this later tonight.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:06 am

rad lulz wrote:Do it

People never learn
Considering this fell to the second page, doing it.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:03 am

Can someone explain how they followed up mass mailing? I've seen a few people asking about it and I don't know how it works. I looked but didn't see much on this( though I probably missed it.) But I've read threads where people say they kept following up over a period of months for jobs that finally turned into offers.

Do people just keep periodically sending emails updating their stuff and confirming their interest?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:43 am

NYstate wrote:Can someone explain how they followed up mass mailing? I've seen a few people asking about it and I don't know how it works. I looked but didn't see much on this( though I probably missed it.) But I've read threads where people say they kept following up over a period of months for jobs that finally turned into offers.

Do people just keep periodically sending emails updating their stuff and confirming their interest?
Yes. And you might want to consider finding things to do that are actually worth updating your resume with, like externships/internships/TAing gigs etc.

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:56 pm

There's some great info in this forum....I've got one interview through mass mailing and I'm about to email the other firms in the city to let them know I will be there...2 rejections so far. Does anyone have any mass mailing success stories that led to offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:00 pm

yup, i know of several instances of mass-mail to offers.

RedLightGreenLight

New

Post by RedLightGreenLight » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:01 pm

^ thats me. didnt meant to anon

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”