Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
paoding

New

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by paoding » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those looking to do corporate law but striking out of big law, in-house positions may be a great alternative! My company, Gusto, is currently looking for two 2L-3L summer interns! (http://grnh.se/258ak01) Some background about me: I struck out at big law, worked at a small law firm my 2L summer, and took on several in-house internships (including one at Gusto), and was offered a full-time position with a tech company immediately prior to graduation! Don't give up hope - get creative. I am making good money, learning tons, and much happier than I imagine I would have been had I done big law!

Thanks! Do you mind sharing where such in house legal internship opportunities can be found?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:04 am

I've applied to every patent opening in the country I've seen and heard nothing. Am I just screwed by my resume of all patent related stuff at all the non-patent firms in applying to? It's abundantly clear that my sole focus was patent law and the only reason I'm applying to these places is because I'm a massive failure. The faculty I spoke to at my T30 before deciding on it said with my background I wouldn't have a problem finding a job. Now that I know that was a lie am I just screwed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Whoops wrong thread

Deleted

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those looking to do corporate law but striking out of big law, in-house positions may be a great alternative! My company, Gusto, is currently looking for two 2L-3L summer interns! (http://grnh.se/258ak01) Some background about me: I struck out at big law, worked at a small law firm my 2L summer, and took on several in-house internships (including one at Gusto), and was offered a full-time position with a tech company immediately prior to graduation! Don't give up hope - get creative. I am making good money, learning tons, and much happier than I imagine I would have been had I done big law!

were you offered a full time position post-grad with Gusto from your internship?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:50 am

Hi all,

I graduated in May- failed the NY bar- retaking in Feb. When is the best time to start mass mailing- now (early dec) or should I wait until jan? Well aware I'm very late in the game.

Also am I interested in an "associate" position or a "law clerk" position?
- Sorry for the basic question- I was told to ask for law clerk positions bc I won't be barred- but I'm fine starting work after I take the bar/even get results- I just can't afford to move to NY for a law clerk position...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 am

Anybody know if it matters whether I put education at the top or bottom? Been practicing for about 1.5 yrs. Considering I am still junior, I am thinking education on top still. Please share if this is a red flag. Thank you.

orab

New

Post by orab » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Would anyone be able to show me where I could get a list of any mid tier firms in Miami and Tampa FL, just to mass mail? Specifically any that focus on or have employment and labor law as a practice area.

Top 5 school, but bottom half of class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Never give up! Just get an offer from a big firm interviewed a month ago!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Never give up! Just get an offer from a big firm interviewed a month ago!
Was this a 3L entry or summer? Also can you post stats range for motivation? Thx :P

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:48 pm

So my school's Spring OCI sucks. Most of the postings are from public interest firms for positions that I can get by applying directly through them. I did Fall OCI but i only received offers from Public Interest firms. I didnt accept any positions because the work was very limited and more administrative assistant-ish. My question, what should i do now to find a summer position? Little background, I work full time and go to school part time but i had planned on quitting my job if i found a good summer opportunity. Due to the limited opportunities, where should i really be looking? Thanks!

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So my school's Spring OCI sucks. Most of the postings are from public interest firms for positions that I can get by applying directly through them. I did Fall OCI but i only received offers from Public Interest firms. I didnt accept any positions because the work was very limited and more administrative assistant-ish. My question, what should i do now to find a summer position? Little background, I work full time and go to school part time but i had planned on quitting my job if i found a good summer opportunity. Due to the limited opportunities, where should i really be looking? Thanks!
You should be looking for PI and small firm jobs at this point. The likeliness is biglaw is out for this summer, but if you hustle and reach out to small firms and speciality firms (think like Fragomen), they don't run on the biglaw recruiting schedule and you can still make decent summer money.

Anonymous User

Re: DF Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:22 pm

When should someone, looking to switch firms after 2L summer, start looking for a job?

Is it 3L fall, or should I start networking early?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Re: DF Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When should someone, looking to switch firms after 2L summer, start looking for a job?

Is it 3L fall, or should I start networking early?
Essentially network early, but start mass applying in early august after you secure your 2L summer offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:49 am

Bump bc this thread has kinda died.

Any recent mass mailing success stories? I'm only at 50 firms in my desired area but I've gotten maybe 10 negative responses and otherwise silences. Reached out to my career office for advice and they told me I'm literally wasting my time and to reach out to alumni, but my school has about 5 alumni in any of the cities I'm interested in and all big law which I have no chance at (went to a regional T2/T3 on the west coast). Useless.

Also any tips on finding firms to mass mail? Been through the V150 under 150, martindale, and I'm just running low on inspiration. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:09 am

Has anyone used MassMailWizard???? Getting desperate but $50 seems a lot to throw down on something that has no real reviews online...?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump bc this thread has kinda died.

Any recent mass mailing success stories? I'm only at 50 firms in my desired area but I've gotten maybe 10 negative responses and otherwise silences. Reached out to my career office for advice and they told me I'm literally wasting my time and to reach out to alumni, but my school has about 5 alumni in any of the cities I'm interested in and all big law which I have no chance at (went to a regional T2/T3 on the west coast). Useless.

Also any tips on finding firms to mass mail? Been through the V150 under 150, martindale, and I'm just running low on inspiration. Thanks.
Your CSO sounds bad. Am I understanding you correctly that you're not applying to big law firms? Don't reject yourself...there's no harm in applying. Those are the places where the jobs are. Also if you REALLY want the best shot at a firm job you should expand your search to the east coast. Doesn't sound like you're in a position to be choosy. CSO is correct about one thing though...you should try reaching out to alumni at firms and just ask them to chat about their firm. When you're not doing that, though, you should be finding more firms to mass mail. Not going to sugar coat it for you though...being at a T2/T3 sets the odds against you, but if you apply broadly you at least give yourself the best possible chance.
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone used MassMailWizard???? Getting desperate but $50 seems a lot to throw down on something that has no real reviews online...?
It's only July 24,why are you getting desperate? You don't need to use any mass mail program as long as you have access to MS Office. You can generate mass mail reasonably quickly if you take some time up front to create a decent spreadsheet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:52 am

Hi- anyone got a good email format for networking with alumni?

Graduated in 2017 and am trying to move markets (also countries- back into the US). How should I reach out to alumni that I can't grab coffee with, because I'm not in the area? Also new to the networking thing in general (stupid I know) so how can I connect needing a job but without obviously asking for a job? Also is it a waste of time trying to connect with big law partner alumni when I was nowhere near the top of my regional school's class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:09 am

is there a point to mass mailing firms you screened with but didn’t get a callback invite for? If so, is it best to do it a bit later when firms might have to correct for yield issues and are there any tips for writing those (referencing the fact of no invite or just don’t bring. It up - they’d know either way).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Mass mailer checking-in. Struck out of OCI as of today- anyone have any luck yet with MMing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Below median st T-14. i've massmailed about 450+ offices using massmail wizard and have only recieved 1 screener.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Below median st T-14. i've massmailed about 450+ offices using massmail wizard and have only recieved 1 screener.
Wow! Were those mostly biglaw or midlaw/secondary markets? But at least you got 1- thats all you need sometimes. Hope you kill it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:52 pm

any tips for massmailing this late in the game?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:10 am

MLB NY, Cad NY, Bryan Cave NY, KE DC, PH DC/HOU/CHI, DE big 4 are all still looking for 2019 SAs so if you're MMing, hit those.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've applied to every patent opening in the country I've seen and heard nothing. Am I just screwed by my resume of all patent related stuff at all the non-patent firms in applying to? It's abundantly clear that my sole focus was patent law and the only reason I'm applying to these places is because I'm a massive failure. The faculty I spoke to at my T30 before deciding on it said with my background I wouldn't have a problem finding a job. Now that I know that was a lie am I just screwed?
It's been several months, but did you find anything yet?

I work at a patent boutique and want to make a move to a different city. I had a couple interviews last year (one at my client's company and another boutique). I botched the interviews because I said a bunch of dumb shit. Haven't had much luck since.

I'm working with a recruiter and have applied to one job. Really excited about the recruiter one even though I know that working with a recruiter is a waste of time. I should have just cut her off and applied separately when she told me the name of the firm.

I have no chance at biglaw because my LS GPA was shit. My technical background is not EE/CS/physics, so I'm at a clear disadvantage here.

BTW, I don't think you're completely screwed. T50 with shit GPA (but patent-focused resume) and got a job a few years back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”