Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kratos

Platinum

Re: Reminder: Stop Reading Tea Leaves; Start Mass Mailing

Post by Kratos » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How fast should we expect mass mail dings? Because I've gotten nothing so far.
as quickly as a day or as slowly as never

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Has anyone received a mass mail ding from cravath that did NOT tell you to apply for full time next year? Trying to find out if this is sent to everyone..

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a mass mail ding from cravath that did NOT tell you to apply for full time next year? Trying to find out if this is sent to everyone..
A lot of firms say that. Don't read too much into that stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Has anyone ever received an interview/callback/offer from a firm after sending a cover letter that contains a very obvious typo? reviewing something I sent out and realizing I left a fucking sentence (at the end of a cover letter) without a period like a moron. Auto-ding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone ever received an interview/callback/offer from a firm after sending a cover letter that contains a very obvious typo? reviewing something I sent out and realizing I left a fucking sentence (at the end of a cover letter) without a period like a moron. Auto-ding?
Yes this has happened to me. Got a straight-to-callback interview from applying.
Firm was looking for associates and it seemed like they needed to find someone quick (at end of OCI). I don't think they caught my error. However, they did have the cover letter in front of them in the interview, and this made me mess up my interview. The only thing I could focus on was the typo and lost all confidence in myself.

In hindsight, I should have sent a new cover letter (changing a good amount of it, in addition to the typo, so they wouldn't know I was fixing a typo), then sent it to HR asap before the interview saying "I have an updated cover letter. Would appreciate if you could pass this along instead". Maybe that might have worked. Either way, don't focus on it. I realize they didn't even read my entire app anyway (they were asking me questions that were straight up on my resume). I doubt they looked through my entire cover letter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone ever received an interview/callback/offer from a firm after sending a cover letter that contains a very obvious typo? reviewing something I sent out and realizing I left a fucking sentence (at the end of a cover letter) without a period like a moron. Auto-ding?

Yup, well it was on my resume which is probably worse. It was for my top choice firm. Offer two days after CB. Offer accepted! I was worried it would be discovered up until I got the offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:14 am

I went through OCI with a random semicolon on my resume. Still managed several offers. I don't think interviewers really scrutinize resumes. I got the sense that half of them didn't read them, or just found one thing and asked me about it to start the convo. Might be different from mass mailing, but I'm not sure how important the resume is for OCI compared to grades and interview skills.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I went through OCI with a random semicolon on my resume. Still managed several offers. I don't think interviewers really scrutinize resumes. I got the sense that half of them didn't read them, or just found one thing and asked me about it to start the convo. Might be different from mass mailing, but I'm not sure how important the resume is for OCI compared to grades and interview skills.
This. I had a missing period on my resume, but still got a decent number of CBs and offers from OCI. If you interview well, they will likely overlook a small grammatical error. A glaring one might be a different story though.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:26 pm

If you have a typo, dont claim youre detail oriented
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I went through OCI with a random semicolon on my resume. Still managed several offers. I don't think interviewers really scrutinize resumes. I got the sense that half of them didn't read them, or just found one thing and asked me about it to start the convo. Might be different from mass mailing, but I'm not sure how important the resume is for OCI compared to grades and interview skills.
This. I had a missing period on my resume, but still got a decent number of CBs and offers from OCI. If you interview well, they will likely overlook a small grammatical error. A glaring one might be a different story though.
I got an interview with a 300 att. firm. Well the partner asked if i sent in my app documents to his assistant. He hadnt read anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:27 am

Hey guys,

I have 38 drafts of emails going to be sent out tomorrow at 7am. This is literally my last blast.. I can't even find anymore firms to MM. After these 38, I will have mailed roughly 250...

Been through like 6 different cities on NALP, hitting every firm. Plus martindale firms. Even changing up my interest, having half say lit and half say corp to see if that helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:33 am

A missing period is not a big deal at all -- don't stress!

FWIW, I MM'ed a V25 firm in NY and left the subject line "has online app" (which I put for my reference when I wrote the draft, planning to change it before I sent it), and still got a straight to callback interview, and offer.

Also, since your mistake was on your cover letter, it's even less of a big deal. Cover letters rarely get read by anyone other than recruiting, or perhaps the interviewer at the screener phase, but your interviewers at your callback most likely will not have read your cover letter

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:34 am

This
Anonymous User wrote:I can't even find anymore firms to MM.
and this
Anonymous User wrote:Been through like 6 different cities on NALP
don't add up.

If you aren't mass mailing every city in the country, and you don't have a job yet, then you aren't done.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:24 am

Hey y'all don't give up yet. I netted 13 screeners, 4 CBs (turned down 2), and 1 offer from a V10 in a secondary market that I have no ties in.

Stats for posterity: MVP, K-JD, ~top 1/3, no LR, no secondary journal, started MMing mid July, ~150 firms (no NYC), followed up with firms every 1-2 weeks until I got a response.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey y'all don't give up yet. I netted 13 screeners, 4 CBs (turned down 2), and 1 offer from a V10 in a secondary market that I have no ties in.

Stats for posterity: MVP, K-JD, ~top 1/3, no LR, no secondary journal, started MMing mid July, ~150 firms (no NYC), followed up with firms every 1-2 weeks until I got a response.
What did you say in your follow up email if you have nothing to update?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey y'all don't give up yet. I netted 13 screeners, 4 CBs (turned down 2), and 1 offer from a V10 in a secondary market that I have no ties in.

What did you say in your follow up email if you have nothing to update?
If I didn't get any response to my initial email, I would email confirming the receipt of my materials and ask if they needed any additional info. If I did receive a response, I would reiterate my interest in the firm. I also emailed recruiting to follow up about a week after I sent in any online applications. After my first follow up email, I basically said the same thing over and over in my subsequent follow ups but with different wording.

Also, Yesware (or a similar tracking program) is totally worth the investment for the few months you are MMing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:06 pm

The denials from my mass mailings are coming in. It's really disheartening.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The denials from my mass mailings are coming in. It's really disheartening.
Send more

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:01 am

cannibal ox wrote:This
Anonymous User wrote:I can't even find anymore firms to MM.
and this
Anonymous User wrote:Been through like 6 different cities on NALP
don't add up.

If you aren't mass mailing every city in the country, and you don't have a job yet, then you aren't done.
You want me to MM atlanta, colorado, las vegas? Places I've literally never even been, and places that pay HALF of market?

Obv, $$ isnt the issue; i need a job first and foremost. But these markets -- small secondary ones that i have ZERO ties to -- will never let me in, will they?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:03 am

Would you rather:

a) Work in a place you've never been (that pays *GASP* ONLY HALF MARKET, OH GOSH); or

b) Be unemployed

Take your pick.

Seriously. How about you stop assuming that you'll get dinged and I don't know.. try? Make an effort? Surely it's better than dinging yourself by not applying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:15 am

cannibal ox wrote:Would you rather:

a) Work in a place you've never been (that pays *GASP* ONLY HALF MARKET, OH GOSH); or

b) Be unemployed

Take your pick.

Seriously. How about you stop assuming that you'll get dinged and I don't know.. try? Make an effort? Surely it's better than dinging yourself by not applying.
I love this thread b/c people like you just pound it into my head: keep mailing god damnit. You're right; I'm getting on NALP right now and plugging in some new cities. Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:The denials from my mass mailings are coming in. It's really disheartening.
Feel you.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:56 am

My favorite mass-mail ding:

"Dear Todd..."

(My name isn't Todd)
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:09 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
My favorite mass-mail ding:

"Dear Todd..."

(My name isn't Todd)
:lol:

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:06 am

don't get down, only takes one

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”