Guide: HLS '13 General EIP/OCI Advice 4 Marginal Candidates Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MCFC

Platinum

Re: Guide: HLS '13 General EIP/OCI Advice 4 Marginal Candidates

Post by MCFC » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Sorry, I just looked at HLS EIP 2014 stats. And it shows, e.g., that Cravath was bid on by 25 3Ls, interviewed about 13, but called no one back.

Other firms in that range are similarly bleak. So in what way is 3L hiring "hot"?
Well, he said hotter, right? It's all relative. :D

Anyways, if you are relying on OCI/EIP for 3L hiring, you are doing it wrong. Or at least that's the conventional wisdom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:20 am

What's the "right way" to do a 3L job search if trying to get a firm your couldn't have gotten at 2L EIP? Mass-mail and prayers?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes that's what the 2014 data show but apparently jbagelboy has some other info indicating that 3L hiring is "hot"
Just because firms aren't willing to devote their resources to traditional on campus recruiting for 3Ls doesn't mean they aren't interested in pulling rising 3Ls from other firms. Reach out to recruiters or people you interviewed with in previous years. NY firms are more likely hire 3Ls in corporate now than at any time in the past half dozen years; don't judge that market based on OCI participation.

Also, using Cravath as a benchmark for hiring is misleading in general.

ETA: what MCFC said

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:10 am

6lehderjets wrote:Great advice!

We've kinda been conditioned by OCS and TLS to always do cover letters, but your guide suggests just stating in your email "cover letter available upon request." Do you suggest to just bring up ties in the body of the email?

It would be great hear the results other TLSers have gotten by omitting cover letters when mass mailing.
Sorry to bump an old thread but curious about this. I'm doing eip right now and have only one cb bidding all nyc. 1H 9P. Is not attaching a cover letter still recommended?

Also, I spoke to ocs and they weren't crazy about me mass mailing now. Advice, tls?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:

We've kinda been conditioned by OCS and TLS to always do cover letters, but your guide suggests just stating in your email "cover letter available upon request." Do you suggest to just bring up ties in the body of the email?

It would be great hear the results other TLSers have gotten by omitting cover letters when mass mailing.
Sorry to bump an old thread but curious about this. I'm doing eip right now and have only one cb bidding all nyc. 1H 9P. Is not attaching a cover letter still recommended?

Also, I spoke to ocs and they weren't crazy about me mass mailing now. Advice, tls?
Start mass mailing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:24 am

barkschool wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Start mass mailing.
Well do. Advice on the cover letter situation?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:20 pm

A lot of posters seem to question the wisdom of this OP. Is this advice credited?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:A lot of posters seem to question the wisdom of this OP. Is this advice credited?
got me a yob not HLS tho

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”