2l grade drop summer offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2l grade drop summer offer

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:57 pm

For I'm summering w/ a firm that advertises something like "for the past 5 years we've offered all our SAs."

I went from 1L w/ A- A- A- B+ B+ B+ to 2L first semester "B B B C+."

Is that enough to warrant a no-offer? Do you think a biglaw firm would break their "we've offered all our SA" streak b/c of a bad semester?

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: 2l grade drop summer offer

Post by rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:58 pm

If I told you yes, how would it change your behavior in the slightest

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:If I told you yes, how would it change your behavior in the slightest
I'd probably inject ritalin directly into my jugular vein so I could study without ceasing for the next 35 days.

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:08 pm

If you're talking about big firm in a major market, then it's almost certainly no problem. If you're talking about some regional midlaw-ish firm in, say, Texas, then the answer is more unpredictable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:11 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:If you're talking about big firm in a major market, then it's almost certainly no problem. If you're talking about some regional midlaw-ish firm in, say, Texas, then the answer is more unpredictable.
This is good to hear. Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:12 pm

I got no offered and the reason they gave was because of a grade drop like that. Who knows what the real reason was though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got no offered and the reason they gave was because of a grade drop like that. Who knows what the real reason was though
Was this big law? Did others get no offered? Were partners critical of your work in performance evaluations?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:30 pm

Very few firms can claim they haven't no offered ITE. So if there is a good sample size (classes of 10 or more each year), you are fine. A lot of big top firms basically have a policy that won't get no offered.

If it's a small ass firm, that maybe didn't even have significant classes, you should be a bit more worried. Most firms don't really care much about 2L grades, but you won't something weighing against you.

You are probably fine, but you should get those grades up anyway. You are still 18 months away from starting for real, and another economic bust might come along and then you are looking for a job with shit grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got no offered and the reason they gave was because of a grade drop like that. Who knows what the real reason was though
Was this big law? Did others get no offered? Were partners critical of your work in performance evaluations?
It was biglaw yeah. Not a 100% offer rate firm, they no offered other people across the country but I don't know of any others in my office. Performance evaluations were all stellar until the last one where they suddenly decided my grades were a problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RELIC

Bronze

Post by RELIC » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:38 pm

In my experience your grade drop has to be larger than that for it to be the sole reason you get no offered if you are coming from a t14. If you are coming from a lower ranked school and your firm usually hires from higher ranked schools you may be in trouble.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 pm

My GPA suffered significant drop; still got offered in major market at V-firm. I wouldn't worry; just work hard during the summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:29 pm

They might ask you about that C+. Actually, I had a friend at a v50 who got asked about a regular B (it was clearly an outlier).

I'd have some sort of explanation ready (not an excuse, but something to say in case someone asks about it).

I dont think it will necessarily make or break you, though. Just do great work this summer.

also this:
RELIC wrote:In my experience your grade drop has to be larger than that for it to be the sole reason you get no offered if you are coming from a t14. If you are coming from a lower ranked school and your firm usually hires from higher ranked schools you may be in trouble.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:27 pm

My variation may end up being from close to top 10% to below median, so I suppose my summer will be an even better test case for this question than OP.

As far as "what would you do differently?" or "why do we always have this thread?" I agree that we have it often, but I don't know, sometimes people are just curious about gauging responses about what could happen in life, even if they don't necessarily plan on "changing" anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:44 pm

My grades dropped (including a C+), but my firm never asked for grades and still hasn't asked for them. Though I went to a pretty non-grade-sensitive firm in the first place. However, I've already gotten them back up 3L year to a more acceptable place, so it's certainly possible to not totally kill you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My grades dropped (including a C+), but my firm never asked for grades and still hasn't asked for them. Though I went to a pretty non-grade-sensitive firm in the first place. However, I've already gotten them back up 3L year to a more acceptable place, so it's certainly possible to not totally kill you.
With all the threads Agent linked up there, you'd think someone would've compiled a "which firms ask for grades" list thread by now. Would probably cut down on these kinds of threads, also.

-6:27

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My grades dropped (including a C+), but my firm never asked for grades and still hasn't asked for them. Though I went to a pretty non-grade-sensitive firm in the first place. However, I've already gotten them back up 3L year to a more acceptable place, so it's certainly possible to not totally kill you.
With all the threads Agent linked up there, you'd think someone would've compiled a "which firms ask for grades" list thread by now. Would probably cut down on these kinds of threads, also.

-6:27
What DC/NY firms ask for/look at grades when evaluating their 2L summers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”