Lowenstein Sandler Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Chickensoup

Bronze

Lowenstein Sandler

Post by Chickensoup » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:52 am

Recently got admitted to Cornell. It is my dream to one day work for Lowenstein Sandler. I not from NJ. I am from NY. I have worked in NJ for the past three summers. What kind of grades do I need to get an offer? What is my best strategy going forward so that I can get an offer there?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Re: Lowenstein Sandler

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:00 am

Chickensoup wrote:Recently got admitted to Cornell. It is my dream to one day work for Lowenstein Sandler. I not from NJ. I am from NY. I have worked in NJ for the past three summers. What kind of grades do I need to get an offer? What is my best strategy going forward so that I can get an offer there?
Study and not post in this forum. That's the best strategy.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 am

Your career services office should have information on what grades students needed to get cb's and offers in the past. Get to know your career services office well, they might end up saving your bacon 2L year.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:44 am

They recently opened up a NY office. I got an offer there without having any ties to NY or NJ.

Nice bunch of people.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:35 am

Median grades was all that was necessary for their NJ office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:38 am

This year, they called back, nearly universally, students with NJ ties who were on law review. Few took the callbacks. Those with less than stellar grades who interviewed with them got rejected. But after the students turned down the callbacks offered after the job fair, I know of people with ties to NJ, with much less than stellar grades, who mass mailed them and got a callback.

On another note, if you come here to Cornell, apply to them your first year. They will reject you, but if your grades are decent, let you skip a screener and come to the office instead.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:39 am

^That's definitely the general trend, though I know of one person who got a callback and offer with no ties to NJ and median-ish grades.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:51 am

For last year's OCI (the one before this past OCI), they gave a bunch of people pre-OCI CB's; they went to ether people with top tier grades (like top 3-5%) from the local schools or people with decent stats (around top 20-25%) from T14's with NJ ties.

My question is -- why is Lowenstein your dream firm? Is it just from working in NJ? If you've lived in NJ while working there, you can certainly play up how much you liked it and I would think that would be considered enough of a "tie".

dolia

New

Post by dolia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:30 am

I interviewed there many moons ago. The biggest hurdle you'll face is convincing them you'd actually work there, since a lot of people aiming for NY will interview there as a backup.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:56 am

keg411 wrote:For last year's OCI (the one before this past OCI), they gave a bunch of people pre-OCI CB's; they went to ether people with top tier grades (like top 3-5%) from the local schools or people with decent stats (around top 20-25%) from T14's with NJ ties.

My question is -- why is Lowenstein your dream firm? Is it just from working in NJ? If you've lived in NJ while working there, you can certainly play up how much you liked it and I would think that would be considered enough of a "tie".
Yes, I enjoy working in NJ. Most of my extended family lives in NJ. My immediate family lives just above the border in NY. I definitely want to stay in the NY metro area, but I am not 100% sold on life in Manhattan. It seems a little hectic for me. I've always assumed Lowenstein Sandler was the best NJ firm that hires in large numbers. That's why I like it.

Any reasons why I shouldn't?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
keg411 wrote:For last year's OCI (the one before this past OCI), they gave a bunch of people pre-OCI CB's; they went to ether people with top tier grades (like top 3-5%) from the local schools or people with decent stats (around top 20-25%) from T14's with NJ ties.

Yes, I enjoy working in NJ. Most of my extended family lives in NJ. My immediate family lives just above the border in NY. I definitely want to stay in the NY metro area, but I am not 100% sold on life in Manhattan. It seems a little hectic for me. I've always assumed Lowenstein Sandler was the best NJ firm that hires in large numbers. That's why I like it.

Any reasons why I shouldn't?
Nah, I interviewed there last year and liked it. I just wanted to make sure you didn't think it was some lifestyle firm or anything like that. Also, I think your ties to NJ are definitely solid. Just focus on 1L and getting the best possible grades you can.

Huluba

New

Post by Huluba » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:34 pm

If Jersey is what you want, there are a lot of great firms there just in case you don't get Lowenstein.

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Huluba wrote:If Jersey is what you want, there are a lot of great firms there just in case you don't get Lowenstein.
Yeah, I know there are a few good ones in Morristown too. Riker Danzig, McElroy Deutsch, Day Pitney come to mind. I know some people at McCarter & English, Wilentz, and NMM as well. How would you compare these firms? Anyone care to give me the rundown on NJ biglaw?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Huluba

New

Post by Huluba » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:15 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
Huluba wrote:If Jersey is what you want, there are a lot of great firms there just in case you don't get Lowenstein.
Yeah, I know there are a few good ones in Morristown too. Riker Danzig, McElroy Deutsch, Day Pitney come to mind. I know some people at McCarter & English, Wilentz, and NMM as well. How would you compare these firms? Anyone care to give me the rundown on NJ biglaw?
Add in Proskauer Newark and Pattons Boggs. Jersey offices of NY firms.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
You've named a bunch of the big ones, but there's also
Sills Cummis & Gross (Newark)
connell foley (Roseland)
Archer & Grenier (Haddonfield)
Cole Schotz (Hackensack)
Bressler, Amery & Ross (Florham Park)
Greenbaum, Rowe, Smith & Davis (Woodbridge)
Gibbons (Newark)
Porzio, Bromberg & Newman (Morristown)
Wolff & Samson (West Orange)
flaster greenberg (Cherry Hill)
Stark & Stark (Lawrenceville)
De Cotiis Fitzpatrick (Teaneck)
Lerner David (Westfield)

But not all of these hire SA's. Some used to back in the day, but I'm pretty sure most hiring is now exclusively either through NJ clerkships or laterals.

There are also a bunch of firms that have offices in NJ, but aren't NJ firms.
Kelley Drye & Warren (Parsippany)
Latham (Newark)
Proskauer (Newark)
Patton Boggs (Newark)
Fox Rothschild (Roseland, etc.)
K&L Gates (Newark)
Drinker Biddle & Reath (Florham Park)
Reed Smith (Princeton)
Ballar Spahr (Cherry Hill)
Greenberg Traurig (Florham Park)
LeClairRyan (Newark)
Dechert (Princeton)
DLA Piper (Florham Park)
Morgan Lewis (Princeton)
SNR Denton (Short Hills)

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:28 pm

keg411 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Connell Foley (Roseland)
Cole Schotz (Hackensack)
Gibbons (Newark)
Flaster Greenberg (Cherry Hill)
Lerner David (Westfield)

But not all of these hire SA's. Some used to back in the day, but I'm pretty sure most hiring is now exclusively either through NJ clerkships or laterals.

Latham (Newark)
Proskauer (Newark)
Patton Boggs (Newark)
K&L Gates (Newark)
Reed Smith (Princeton)
LeClairRyan (Newark)
Dechert (Princeton)
DLA Piper (Florham Park)
Morgan Lewis (Princeton)
SNR Denton (Short Hills)
I'm a little surprised that Cole Schotz is the only big firm in Bergen. So many people there, yet all the firms seem to be farther south.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:38 pm

I would hardly call Essex County "south" in terms of NJ geography (it's definitely north NJ). But yes, Essex has far more "Regional Big/MidLaw" firms than Bergen does. Mostly because of Newark.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:05 pm

keg411 wrote:I would hardly call Essex County "south" in terms of NJ geography (it's definitely north NJ). But yes, Essex has far more "Regional Big/MidLaw" firms than Bergen does. Mostly because of Newark.
It's farther south than Bergen. That's all I was saying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This year, they called back, nearly universally, students with NJ ties who were on law review. Few took the callbacks. Those with less than stellar grades who interviewed with them got rejected. But after the students turned down the callbacks offered after the job fair, I know of people with ties to NJ, with much less than stellar grades, who mass mailed them and got a callback.

On another note, if you come here to Cornell, apply to them your first year. They will reject you, but if your grades are decent, let you skip a screener and come to the office instead.
You are wrong. Lived in NJ my whole life, not on law review, but do attend a T14. I got a call back and took the call back. No offer yet, no rejection yet. But I am not hanging around waiting. I took an offer at a NYC firm about a month ago. Lowenstein's loss.

Anonymous User

Re: NJ firms lax facetime

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:46 pm

keg411 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Connell Foley (Roseland)
Cole Schotz (Hackensack)
Gibbons (Newark)
Flaster Greenberg (Cherry Hill)
Lerner David (Westfield)

Latham (Newark)
Proskauer (Newark)
Patton Boggs (Newark)
K&L Gates (Newark)
Reed Smith (Princeton)
LeClairRyan (Newark)
Dechert (Princeton)
DLA Piper (Florham Park)
Morgan Lewis (Princeton)
SNR Denton (Short Hills)

Of the above mentioned firms (or others in north jersey), does anyone have any insight into which have more lax facetime policies? I am looking to lateral from NYC into one of Finance/RE/PE in Northern NJ (trying to avoid Newark and Jersey City if possible) and would ideally like to work remotely 1-2 days a week (still keep up normal billables), without it being an issue or a deviation from the normal practices at that firm.

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know what the offer rate is for SA's in Lowenstein's NJ office?

Also does anyone who's worked there know if 2L grades play a factor in whether or not an offer is extended? I'm probably going to end up getting penalized in several courses due to missing an obscene amount of classes from Aug-Oct due to job interviews. This may be irrational, but I'm afraid a flurry of sub-B+ grades could lead them to rethink extending an offer.

kalcifer

New

Post by kalcifer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:31 am

SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know what the offer rate is for SA's in Lowenstein's NJ office?

Also does anyone who's worked there know if 2L grades play a factor in whether or not an offer is extended? I'm probably going to end up getting penalized in several courses due to missing an obscene amount of classes from Aug-Oct due to job interviews. This may be irrational, but I'm afraid a flurry of sub-B+ grades could lead them to rethink extending an offer.
It isn't 100%

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”