V10 Rumor Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawloser22

Bronze

Re: V10 Rumor

Post by lawloser22 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:Latham? Can speak to ny office
Can you elaborate on what you know please? I heard they were actually fairly busy this summer.
Happy to do so via pm/email.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:21 am

lolatham

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:22 am

IAFG wrote:lolatham
I will have no sympathy for my Lathamed class mates. You were on notice they treat first years like craigslist conquests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:58 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Eh, Latham is v10, but it's not V10 V10.
So how many firms are in the "V10"? And where does Latham fall in the NYC hierarchy? Chambers still ranks them very highly so it seems like their name on your resume is still a big deal.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
So how many firms are in the "V10"? And where does Latham fall in the NYC hierarchy? Chambers still ranks them very highly so it seems like their name on your resume is still a big deal.
1) We're mainly having fun trolling Latttham bros.

2) V-multiples-of-5 aren't meaningful distinctions.

3) Someone anonymously saying "oh noes, this V10 is having problems, I want you all to tell me what you know but it's so super duper secret I can't tell you which firm!" is nauseatingly silly. If OP really wanted info on a firm, he could have, you know, named the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Chambers doesn't reduce a firm's band because they fuck over a bunch of juniors. There really isn't a law firm ranking out there that is depicting the best places for juniors to go, and because it tracks okay with Vault we tend to use that, but you have to always remember what it's measuring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:37 pm

Latham's model is very good for partners and firm growth, but they risk stability to move forward. They are well-run in the sense that they are constantly growing and are highly leveraged, but that does not mean it will be good for associates or for recessions, when they will bite the bullet more than other firms.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Latham's model is very good for partners and firm growth, but they risk stability to move forward. They are well-run in the sense that they are constantly growing and are highly leveraged, but that does not mean it will be good for associates or for recessions, when they will bite the bullet more than other firms.
The sad truth is that Latham sucks for associates. This is why the firm has to perpetuate the myth that it's a firm full of laid-back frat bros who just want to work hard/play hard together and make money along the way. It's a large biglaw slaveship where the slaves are expendable and the masters on the deck are 100% concerned with squeezing as much money out of the firm as possible before they bail. This also explains Latham's unfunded retirement packages for top rainmakers at the firm. The firm is essentially a reflection of how Boomers have constructed the rest of the American economy: over-leveraged and set to blow up and sink as soon as Boomers get off the ship.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Looks like ATL wants to learn more...

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/09/dewey-kn ... t-reprise/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 pm

This was some weird flame started on another message board that made its way here though the schadenfreude echo chamber of the internet. I worked at a Latham office this summer and most associates seemed to have no problem hitting their hours. A few people seemed slow here and there, but most did not.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This was some weird flame started on another message board that made its way here though the schadenfreude echo chamber of the internet. I worked at a Latham office this summer and most associates seemed to have no problem hitting their hours. A few people seemed slow here and there, but most did not.
It might be, but your experience as a summer isn't particularly compelling proof. Summers were swearing up and down Dewey was doing just fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:51 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This was some weird flame started on another message board that made its way here though the schadenfreude echo chamber of the internet. I worked at a Latham office this summer and most associates seemed to have no problem hitting their hours. A few people seemed slow here and there, but most did not.
It might be, but your experience as a summer isn't particularly compelling proof. Summers were swearing up and down Dewey was doing just fine.
Latham's gross revenue had a huge rebound last year and is back over $2 billion. Profit per partner and revenue were lawyer were both up, as well. Their incoming summer class (at least in LA, where I interviewed) is at a pretty constrained ~15. Proof enough?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 pm

(rationalizing impending Bob Dell treatment)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:04 pm

This OP feels like a flame.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:55 pm

DeweyWins wrote:It's difficult to guess which firm will collapse next, but it's pretty easy to determine which firms will layoff/no-offer people en masse if the economy slows down considerably (or fails to pick up). Just look at historical offer rates and layoffs. It's also useful to check whether the firm has strong counter-cyclical practices (like restructuring, or to a lesser extent, litigation).

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Not to dredge up old shit, but I am. Has there been anything to this rumor?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”