V10 Rumor

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Does anyone know anything about rumors that a v10 firm is preparing for a capital call? Have cb there next week. Don't want to mention firm name, but I think it may be obvious...

Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know anything about rumors that a v10 firm is preparing for a capital call? Have cb there next week. Don't want to mention firm name, but I think it may be obvious...


You are anonymous so unless you are someone who somehow has secret inside information, just say the firm name and it will never be able to be traced back to you.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1436
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Yeah, really, it is impossible to advise you without knowing what you are talking about. You are not the only person going on a CB there next week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:48 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:56 pm

bumper

anon168
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby anon168 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Firms routinely have capital calls. That's not really news. Some do it annually, in fact.

ITE more and more are doing it routinely, esp. to attract laterals.

Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Which firm is it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:33 pm

anon168 wrote:Firms routinely have capital calls. That's not really news. Some do it annually, in fact.

ITE more and more are doing it routinely, esp. to attract laterals.


Firms do NOT routinely have capital calls. Your statement of Esp to attract laterals makes no sense. How is asking other partners for money back going to attract laterals? Laterals would be concerned if they needed a capital call to pay laterals. Your statement is so wrong I can't even fathom how you think it's correct.

anon168
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby anon168 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:Firms routinely have capital calls. That's not really news. Some do it annually, in fact.

ITE more and more are doing it routinely, esp. to attract laterals.


Firms do NOT routinely have capital calls. Your statement of Esp to attract laterals makes no sense. How is asking other partners for money back going to attract laterals? Laterals would be concerned if they needed a capital call to pay laterals. Your statement is so wrong I can't even fathom how you think it's correct.


Read the last sentence in the quoted part in this post: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=193957#p5881614

Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:28 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:Firms routinely have capital calls. That's not really news. Some do it annually, in fact.

ITE more and more are doing it routinely, esp. to attract laterals.


Firms do NOT routinely have capital calls. Your statement of Esp to attract laterals makes no sense. How is asking other partners for money back going to attract laterals? Laterals would be concerned if they needed a capital call to pay laterals. Your statement is so wrong I can't even fathom how you think it's correct.


Read the last sentence in the quoted part in this post: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=193957#p5881614


Read the post at above the law. http://abovethelaw.com/2012/08/some-com ... -traurigs/

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 5006
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bumper


General warning: posts like the above have no reason for anonymity. Please review the rules for Anonymous Posting, at the top of the page.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby ph14 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:bumper


General warning: posts like the above have no reason for anonymity. Please review the rules for Anonymous Posting, at the top of the page.


If this person is the OP wouldn't that just out him?

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby lawloser22 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Latham? Can speak to ny office

Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:46 pm

If it is Latham, anecdotally from lawyers in the Houston area, I've heard that they threw so much money to attract partners from V&E, Bracewell, BB, etc that--even though Latham Houston is 1 or 2 in terms of dealflow--Latham is losing money on the office. Of course, take this with a grain of salt. But I've heard that from multiple lawyers and multiple offices. Their opinion might be tainted with loss of business, though?

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Veyron » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:56 pm

If you can get a job at Latham, you can get a job at somewhere better.

Meep13
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Meep13 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Clearly people do not know what firm you are talking about, even if you think it's obvious. You might as well give the firm name if you want some answers.

You need to consider the source as well. Who did you hear this "rumor" from? Someone who works for the firm? A partner at a different firm? Rumors float around all the time that have absolutely no validity.

Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If it is Latham, anecdotally from lawyers in the Houston area, I've heard that they threw so much money to attract partners from V&E, Bracewell, BB, etc that--even though Latham Houston is 1 or 2 in terms of dealflow--Latham is losing money on the office. Of course, take this with a grain of salt. But I've heard that from multiple lawyers and multiple offices. Their opinion might be tainted with loss of business, though?


I can't speak for the cost of the partners. However their Houston physical offices is enough to cause a need. Good god. The best floors in the new Hess building on Main and it is decorated to the T. I'm willing to say it is the best Houston big law offices.

bravos89
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby bravos89 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:42 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If it is Latham, anecdotally from lawyers in the Houston area, I've heard that they threw so much money to attract partners from V&E, Bracewell, BB, etc that--even though Latham Houston is 1 or 2 in terms of dealflow--Latham is losing money on the office. Of course, take this with a grain of salt. But I've heard that from multiple lawyers and multiple offices. Their opinion might be tainted with loss of business, though?


I can't speak for the cost of the partners. However their Houston physical offices is enough to cause a need. Good god. The best floors in the new Hess building on Main and it is decorated to the T. I'm willing to say it is the best Houston big law offices.


I have been to nearly every biglaw office in Houston and can without a doubt agree. No way the money they spent on that and the lawyers is sustainable long term

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby ben4847 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:25 am

anon168 wrote:Firms routinely have capital calls. That's not really news. Some do it annually, in fact.

ITE more and more are doing it routinely, esp. to attract laterals.


Why would they do it annually? That would amount to the same thing as just having a smaller distribution, so why call it a distribution and then claw it back?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:Eh, Latham is v10, but it's not V10 V10.

Anonymous User
Posts: 217178
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:28 am

lawloser22 wrote:Latham? Can speak to ny office


Can you elaborate on what you know please? I heard they were actually fairly busy this summer.

anon168
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:32 am

ben4847 wrote:
anon168 wrote:Firms routinely have capital calls. That's not really news. Some do it annually, in fact.

ITE more and more are doing it routinely, esp. to attract laterals.


Why would they do it annually? That would amount to the same thing as just having a smaller distribution, so why call it a distribution and then claw it back?


It's just a different business model. It's like the firm giving you a tax-free loan. And sometimes it's just difficult to budget for cash flow over a 12-month period. That's why firms have revolving lines of credit. I don't run firms, but those are some of the reasons that I've been told by numerous sources.

I have no horse in this race. It's just from what I understand, capital calls are not the tell-tale sign of a firm going supernova as some here would have you believe.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby ben4847 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:07 am

anon168 wrote:
ben4847 wrote:
anon168 wrote:Firms routinely have capital calls. That's not really news. Some do it annually, in fact.

ITE more and more are doing it routinely, esp. to attract laterals.


Why would they do it annually? That would amount to the same thing as just having a smaller distribution, so why call it a distribution and then claw it back?


It's just a different business model. It's like the firm giving you a tax-free loan. And sometimes it's just difficult to budget for cash flow over a 12-month period. That's why firms have revolving lines of credit. I don't run firms, but those are some of the reasons that I've been told by numerous sources.

I have no horse in this race. It's just from what I understand, capital calls are not the tell-tale sign of a firm going supernova as some here would have you believe.



I have a mule in this race.

That still seems pretty bizarre to me, unless it is not really a capital call and is really an adjustment to the draw down. (That is to say, not taking back money that was part of a distribution, but taking back money which was lent in the draw down).

Also, ATL seemed to think it was a pretty big deal a few weeks ago when whatever that firm was did a capital call.

09042014
Posts: 18455
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: V10 Rumor

Postby 09042014 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:17 am

A v10 isn't the NSA. You can post the fucking rumor here.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.