Bad Interview Moments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Joscellin wrote:
Yukos wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
pml87 wrote:Interview for UChicago Law with the admission dean.

Things immediately started out badly. The dean seemed unenthusiastic and downright rude. I have received another T-14 offer and money at this point so I was disinclined to tolerate the rudeness.

Dean: "so what can I tell you about UChicago?"
Me: "I understand that Chicago can be a rough neighborhood. Do you have any recommendation for living there?"
Dean: (obv caught off-guard, took her 5 seconds to recover) "well, you know, any big city can be complicated and blah blah"
Me: "but I have heard Chicago is also very gentrified and I should stay away from some area?"
Dean: "again, ANY city can be blah blah"
Dinged in less than 24 hours.

Sadly I had no such moment during OCI.
To be fair, this was an absolute banana land line of questioning.
I can't tell from your preface whether you were intentionally torpedoing your own application, but for everyone else out there... don't ask that first question.
I mean, if you really want to ask about the city and crime, you can do that without being such a dick about it too. "There has been a lot of news lately about crime in Chicago. As someone not from there, could you tell me about how, if at all, crime affects campus life?"

Even so, I'd hope you'd have something actually about the school to ask.
guys.. he has said that the dean was being mean, and that he didn't really care about his UChicago interview, and therefore tried to be a dick.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Yukos wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Things immediately started out badly. The dean seemed unenthusiastic and downright rude. I have received another T-14 offer and money at this point so I was disinclined to tolerate the rudeness.

Me: "I understand that Chicago can be a rough neighborhood. Do you have any recommendation for living there?"
Dean: (obv caught off-guard, took her 5 seconds to recover) "well, you know, any big city can be complicated and blah blah"
Me: "but I have heard Chicago is also very gentrified and I should stay away from some area?"

I can't tell from your preface whether you were intentionally torpedoing your own application, but for everyone else out there... don't ask that first question.
I mean, if you really want to ask about the city and crime, you can do that without being such a dick about it too. "There has been a lot of news lately about crime in Chicago. As someone not from there, could you tell me about how, if at all, crime affects campus life?"

guys.. he has said that the dean was being mean, and that he didn't really care about his UChicago interview, and therefore tried to be a dick.
Honestly with this level of social skills the interviewee was a perfect fit for UChicago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:00 pm

daedalus2309 wrote:Honestly with this level of social skills the interviewee was a perfect fit for UChicago
+1
LOL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:20 pm

I'm gonna get judged for this, but it happened.

I was being interviewed on a CB with a fifth or sixth year associate. I can only describe him as a quiet, serious, conservative-looking white guy. He never smiled once. The interview seemed to be going fine, but over the course of our conversation he told me that he grew up, went to law school, and clerked all in the same far away city on the other side of the country. So I asked him why he moved.

He said his boyfriend switched jobs, and I couldn't stop myself from cracking a smile. He did not appreciate it. I swear it was an involuntary act. I'm pro-/lgbt/. I just didn't expect that response from him. I feel like he set me up.

Did not get the offer.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm gonna get judged for this, but it happened.

I was being interviewed on a CB with a fifth or sixth year associate. I can only describe him as a quiet, serious, conservative-looking white guy. He never smiled once. The interview seemed to be going fine, but over the course of our conversation he told me that he grew up, went to law school, and clerked all in the same far away city on the other side of the country. So I asked him why he moved.

He said his boyfriend switched jobs, and I couldn't stop myself from cracking a smile. He did not appreciate it. I swear it was an involuntary act. I'm pro-/lgbt/. I just didn't expect that response from him. I feel like he set me up.
How can you tell that the interviewer did not appreciate your smile? There's nothing unusual about smiling when someone is telling you about a personal story. What made you think that the interviewer had a problem with your reaction--did he say something to you about it during the interview?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:43 pm

rpupkin wrote:

How can you tell that the interviewer did not appreciate your smile? There's nothing unusual about smiling when someone is telling you about a personal story. What made you think that the interviewer had a problem with your reaction--did he say something to you about it during the interview?
Yeah, if you reacted to finding out that someone was LGBT in a way that would be off-putting to them, it was probably an inappropriate reaction to finding out. Given the fact that you feel like he "set you up" (aka his existence as a gay person is entirely designed to make you feel uncomfortable as a straight person) this isn't hard to believe, and you might not be quite as pro-LGBT as you think you are.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:50 am

Did not get the offer.
Very similar interviewer with me as well.. was this for curtis mallet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:57 pm

I was waiting for my turn at an OCI screener interview, standing there in the hallway outside the door after knocking, and when it opened the student from before me came out and said I should just go in. I did, and the room was empty, and right then I hear the toilet flush, the bathroom door opens, and the partner walks out, talking on his phone, saying "well I was in an interview... Well did you call him back?.. If client f***ing calls, you f***ing call him back!" Or words to that effect, angry voice and swearing included. Then he just said "sorry," and we did the interview. I was too pumped on interview adrenaline to care at all about the behavior, but in retrospect it wasn't very classy.

masque du pantsu

Bronze

Post by masque du pantsu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was waiting for my turn at an OCI screener interview, standing there in the hallway outside the door after knocking, and when it opened the student from before me came out and said I should just go in. I did, and the room was empty, and right then I hear the toilet flush, the bathroom door opens, and the partner walks out, talking on his phone, saying "well I was in an interview... Well did you call him back?.. If client f***ing calls, you f***ing call him back!" Or words to that effect, angry voice and swearing included. Then he just said "sorry," and we did the interview. I was too pumped on interview adrenaline to care at all about the behavior, but in retrospect it wasn't very classy.
haha, i mean sure, maybe not classy, but you better get used to this. It can be muuuuuuch worse than that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:37 pm

daedalus2309 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Yukos wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Honestly with this level of social skills the interviewee was a perfect fit for UChicago
What the dean was really thinking:

"The closest thing I've witnessed to a crime since 1993 was what the dry cleaner did to one of my cashmere sweaters. My advice is to become rich, live in the rich part of town and don't send cashmere to the dry cleaner. This easy 3 step plan is all you need. If these gangs wanted to be rich, and would stop dry cleaning their cashmere, all the violence would end tomorrow."

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:46 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:
daedalus2309 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Yukos wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

"The closest thing I've witnessed to a crime since 1993 was what the dry cleaner did to one of my cashmere sweaters. My advice is to become rich, live in the rich part of town and don't send cashmere to the dry cleaner. This easy 3 step plan is all you need. If these gangs wanted to be rich, and would stop dry cleaning their cashmere, all the violence would end tomorrow."
Handwash or Die.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:49 pm

HonestAdvice wrote:
daedalus2309 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Yukos wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

TBH, Cashmere is pretty bougie.

I have my sweaters custom made to really fit. Luckily, our family estate produces enough wool for pretty much every wool-item I need. Sending help to go purchase some off-the-rack item of dubious origin at a 300% markup seems silly.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
daedalus2309 wrote:Honestly with this level of social skills the interviewee was a perfect fit for UChicago
+1
LOL.
Great use of anon here

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:48 am

rpupkin wrote:

Ok, if I have to be honest, I got caught suppressing a laugh.
moonman157 wrote: Yeah, if you reacted to finding out that someone was LGBT in a way that would be off-putting to them, it was probably an inappropriate reaction to finding out. Given the fact that you feel like he "set you up" (aka his existence as a gay person is entirely designed to make you feel uncomfortable as a straight person) this isn't hard to believe, and you might not be quite as pro-LGBT as you think you are.
You're probably right. But I have a preconceived notion of gay men as easy-to-spot and feminine from television and personal experience. I thought this guy was straight, so when he suddenly said his boyfriend made him change cities, I reacted as if it was a joke, before I realized he was actually gay. I'm not justifying my behavior, but that's how I blew the interview. I blame the fact that I have friends who make immature gay jokes like "Ever go on Tinder? You can meet some really cute guys!"
Anonymous User wrote: Very similar interviewer with me as well.. was this for curtis mallet?
Nah, different firm.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I blame the fact that I have friends who make immature gay jokes like "Ever go on Tinder? You can meet some really cute guys!"
I would also blame you for that.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:20 am

HonestAdvice wrote:
daedalus2309 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
Yukos wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Just wanted to chime in that as a current student who knows the Dean referred to here, this is all silly. She's actually pretty damned cool, not at all uptight, and definitely not stuck in the clouds of her own privilege (we've had deans/deans of students like that; they're now gone). The above interview is totally the above applicant just being a bad interviewer, and sour grapesing all over this thread. Can confirm UofC undergrad = social skills deficit. It's just not the case at the law school; different world entirely. I hear it used to be -- but then we started interviewing. This person proves it's working.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Post by daedalus2309 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:22 pm

zhenders wrote:
Just wanted to chime in that as a current student who knows the Dean referred to here, this is all silly. She's actually pretty damned cool, not at all uptight, and definitely not stuck in the clouds of her own privilege (we've had deans/deans of students like that; they're now gone). The above interview is totally the above applicant just being a bad interviewer, and sour grapesing all over this thread. Can confirm UofC undergrad = social skills deficit. It's just not the case at the law school; different world entirely. I hear it used to be -- but then we started interviewing. This person proves it's working.
+1

for the record I was just joshing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Had a screener with a firm that I conducted via video chat. I was doing fine, when all of a sudden, the connection went out on my laptop (I later realized it was because the guest network at the school was timed and I did not yet have access to the main network for the students). So I rushed and downloaded their video app on my cell phone and reconnected, all of which took 10 minutes. They were just about to leave - I apologized profusely through a tense smile, and they calmly conducted the rest of the screener. Not only was I invited for a callback, but also got an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a screener with a firm that I conducted via video chat. I was doing fine, when all of a sudden, the connection went out on my laptop (I later realized it was because the guest network at the school was timed and I did not yet have access to the main network for the students). So I rushed and downloaded their video app on my cell phone and reconnected, all of which took 10 minutes. They were just about to leave - I apologized profusely through a tense smile, and they calmly conducted the rest of the screener. Not only was I invited for a callback, but also got an offer.
Nice. I was doing a court-to-court video interview once and the sound cut out halfway through. I wrote my cell number in giant numerals on a piece of paper and held it up to the camera and we finished the interview via phone (with video feed still going). Offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a screener with a firm that I conducted via video chat. I was doing fine, when all of a sudden, the connection went out on my laptop (I later realized it was because the guest network at the school was timed and I did not yet have access to the main network for the students). So I rushed and downloaded their video app on my cell phone and reconnected, all of which took 10 minutes. They were just about to leave - I apologized profusely through a tense smile, and they calmly conducted the rest of the screener. Not only was I invited for a callback, but also got an offer.
Nice. I was doing a court-to-court video interview once and the sound cut out halfway through. I wrote my cell number in giant numerals on a piece of paper and held it up to the camera and we finished the interview via phone (with video feed still going). Offer.
OP here. That is pretty impressive as far as improvisations go, I probably wouldn't have thought of that under the pressure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:06 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This happened to me during a 1L summer job interview.

The career office asked us to list hobbies on our resume. I don't really have any, so I put down "memes" as one hobby. The interviewer surveyed me with a hard-to-read smile and asked me to show him one of the memes I made. I was horrified. I was trying to find a normal one on my phone when he accidentally saw a really imappropriate one and started to laugh. He laughed for at least a minute.

Then I got the summer job.
hm, and here I thought there were no 13 year olds in law school

goodnitejon

New

Post by goodnitejon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 pm

misterjames wrote:

The career office asked us to list hobbies on our resume. I don't really have any, so I put down "memes" as one hobby. The interviewer surveyed me with a hard-to-read smile and asked me to show him one of the memes I made. I was horrified. I was trying to find a normal one on my phone when he accidentally saw a really imappropriate one and started to laugh. He laughed for at least a minute.

hm, and here I thought there were no 13 year olds in law school
they let a few in to bring up the level of personality of the rest of the lawyers.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:33 pm

This didn't happen.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:17 pm

glitched wrote:

This didn't happen.
definitely not. if it had, his resume would have said "dank memes" obv

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”