Bad Interview Moments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Broseidon

Gold

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Broseidon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:35 pm

At my last interview (one I had no intention of ever accepting an offer from and was interviewing for the lulz), when the dude asked me what my favorite 1L subject was, I turned around to the white board and started a game of hangman.

Got a callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Dany wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I put the following description under the line describing my volunteer work: "Gained a unique understanding of the socioeconomic diversity of the United States." I though it sounded pretty high-minded.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I just... No, there's just no excuse.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Dany wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I put the following description under the line describing my volunteer work: "Gained a unique understanding of the socioeconomic diversity of the United States." I though it sounded pretty high-minded.
I wanna know what dumb CSO said it was a good idea to give a lesson learned for every experience on a resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:50 pm

At a callback interview at a public defender's office, the only woman on the panel seemed to have a serious issue with me. She asked me five times why I wanted to be a public defender, and I have a really good answer to this question. I merely expanded on my initial answer each time she asked, such as by emphasizing a point in more detail, or telling her about a case I had worked on. Finally, the fifth time she asked me, I responded: "Several people have commented that I look like a prosecutor. Perhaps I need to do something about that?" Both of the guys laughed really hard at my response. She was not amused and said, "yeah, you DO look like a prosecutor." :roll:

Got an offer though. I also got some really interesting insight on behalf of a mentor who used to work at this office. Apparently, this woman voted against every woman she interviewed, except for those who were unqualified (meaning: no public interest background whatsoever).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Dany wrote:
I wanna know what dumb CSO said it was a good idea to give a lesson learned for every experience on a resume.
It's not a law school CSO thing, it's just kind of a new age resume advice thing. I learned it in a class in undergrad. It was in some fancy book. Usually it makes more sense. For example, it might say:

Financial Analyst
Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., Fixed-Income Group, New York, NY, May 2008 to May 2010
Developed a thorough understanding of capital markets by assisting in the underwriting and distribution of large public bond issues.

In general, I think it's not bad advice, but this was definitely a fuckup.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 pm

hahaha oh my.

my new favorite thread.

edit: haha @ irwin m.fletcher's anecdote.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Callback at Milbank. Was super thrilled about the firm because they were my #1. After I got the list of my interviewers I spoke to a 3L at my school who summered there the year before. Just asked him to give me general ideas of the personalities of these individuals. Took notes and kept it in my folder that I carry with me into the interview. Met with the last interviewer, who the 3L described as "weird, nerdy and boring." For some idiotic reason, I wrote this description next to his name. On my way out of the interview, the paper slipped out of my folder, right in front of the interviewer. He saw the words "weird, nerdy and boring" written next to his name.

No offer.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Callback at Milbank. Was super thrilled about the firm because they were my #1. After I got the list of my interviewers I spoke to a 3L at my school who summered there the year before. Just asked him to give me general ideas of the personalities of these individuals. Took notes and kept it in my folder that I carry with me into the interview. Met with the last interviewer, who the 3L described as "weird, nerdy and boring." For some idiotic reason, I wrote this description next to his name. On my way out of the interview, the paper slipped out of my folder, right in front of the interviewer. He saw the words "weird, nerdy and boring" written next to his name.

No offer.
This is excellent.

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Callback at Milbank. Was super thrilled about the firm because they were my #1. After I got the list of my interviewers I spoke to a 3L at my school who summered there the year before. Just asked him to give me general ideas of the personalities of these individuals. Took notes and kept it in my folder that I carry with me into the interview. Met with the last interviewer, who the 3L described as "weird, nerdy and boring." For some idiotic reason, I wrote this description next to his name. On my way out of the interview, the paper slipped out of my folder, right in front of the interviewer. He saw the words "weird, nerdy and boring" written next to his name.

No offer.
Definitely top 3 of the thread so far

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:20 pm

V5 Callback. Met with a big IP partner. He asked if I was interested in IP. I said "Well I like to build guitar pedals, so yeah." He pointed to a picture of his son (elementary school age) and said "My son likes guitar pedals too."

No offer

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:45 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:V5 Callback. Met with a big IP partner. He asked if I was interested in IP. I said "Well I like to build guitar pedals, so yeah." He pointed to a picture of his son (elementary school age) and said "My son likes guitar pedals too."

No offer
In other news, that's the coolest elementary schooler ever.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:30 am

Very very sad that I got to the end of this wonderful thread. Here are mine.

Had a screener with a firm in Akron. I've only been to Akron once or twice in my life. Didn't have much interest in the firm. Interviewer says to me, "Do you really want to live and work in Akron? Because we interview a lot of people who say they do who wind up not taking our offers."

I tried to throw out some line of shit about how Akron was a nice city, how I'd love to someday get myself a membership to Firestone, and how I like The Pretenders.

The interviewer didn't play golf and had no clue who The Pretenders were. No CB.

1L OCI, interviewer saw some stuff on my resume from West Virginia and asked me about it. I explained I grew up there but had lived in Ohio for years now. He proceeded to start making hick jokes. I walked out after the third joke.

CB, managing partner asked me if I'd be interested in doing family law. I did my best to answer diplomatically, although there was nothing on my resume even remotely suggest an interest in family law. After I go on for a minute or so, he shrugs and says something to the effect of, "We're not really looking for anyone to do family law. Just curious." Offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 am

TTH wrote:1L OCI, interviewer saw some stuff on my resume from West Virginia and asked me about it. I explained I grew up there but had lived in Ohio for years now. He proceeded to start making hick jokes. I walked out after the third joke.
Where in WV?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:39 am

Dany wrote:
TTH wrote:1L OCI, interviewer saw some stuff on my resume from West Virginia and asked me about it. I explained I grew up there but had lived in Ohio for years now. He proceeded to start making hick jokes. I walked out after the third joke.
Where in WV?
Charleston-Huntington area.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:50 am

TTH wrote:
Dany wrote:
Where in WV?
Charleston-Huntington area.
Cool. My dad grew up near Salem in between Clarksburg-Parkersburg and a ton of family still lives there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:02 am

OCI screener done in a weird hotel room suite that had a full kitchen in it. Interview was with a young female associate and an old and distinguished looking partner. We're talking perfectly pressed suit, cufflinks and monograms on his undoubtedly custom made shirt, every hair exactly where it should be; the kind of guy who talks without moving his jaw. About 10 minutes in, as I'm giving an excellent answer to some softball question, the partner leans back in his chair and puts his hand to his chin as if he's in deep rumination about my answer when all of a sudden he loses his balance and the chair falls backwards. His arms shoot out as he reaches for something, anything, to steady himself to no avail. As the chair hits the ground he does a summersault backwards and tumbles into a dishwasher, turning it on. It was loud. Partner gets up haphazardly, his suit jacket and hair flailing every which way, assures us he's fine and there was no need for us to get up as he starts manically mashing buttons trying to turn off the dishwasher. Associate has literally facepalmed and is shaking her head and quite obviously trying to stifle laughter, which is much better than me because I am cracking the fuck up. It was the most cartoonish thing I've ever witnessed in person and, god help me, I could not reign it in for the life of me. He stands there trying to get it to turn off for like a good 15 seconds before he starts cursing at it like a sailor. I am essentially doubled over laughing at this point and the associate is too. Eventually the partner realizes the sheer ridiculousness of having an interview interrupted by a dishwasher and starts laughing about it too, once he finally got the dishwasher to stop running of course.

Got a callback, offer, and a story I will be telling for the rest of my life.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:OCI screener done in a weird hotel room suite that had a full kitchen in it. Interview was with an young female associate and an old and distinguished looking partner. We're talking perfectly pressed suit, cufflinks and monograms on his undoubtedly custom made shirt, every hair exactly where it should be; the kind of guy who talks without moving his jaw. About 10 minutes in, as I'm giving an excellent answer to some softball question, the partner leans back in his chair and puts his hand to his chin as if he's in deep rumination about my answer when all of a sudden he loses his balance and the chair falls backwards. His arms shoot out as he reaches for something, anything, to steady himself to no avail. As the chair hits the ground he does a summersault backwards and tumbles into a dishwasher, turning it on. It was loud. Partner gets up haphazardly, his suit jacket and hair flailing every which way, assures us he's fine and there was no need for us to get up as he starts manically mashing buttons trying to turn off the dishwasher. Associate has literally facepalmed and is shaking her head and quite obviously trying to stifle laughter, which is much better than me because I am cracking the fuck up. It was the most cartoonish thing I've ever witnessed in person and, god help me, I could not reign it in for the life of me. He stands there trying to get it to turn off for like a good 15 seconds before he starts cursing at it like a sailor. I am essentially doubled over laughing at this point and the associate is too. Eventually the partner realizes the sheer ridiculousness of having an interview interrupted by a dishwasher and starts laughing about it too, once he finally got the dishwasher to stop running of course.

Guessing he was only mad because it fucked up the threesome he had planned for the interview to segue into.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:OCI screener done in a weird hotel room suite that had a full kitchen in it. Interview was with a young female associate and an old and distinguished looking partner. We're talking perfectly pressed suit, cufflinks and monograms on his undoubtedly custom made shirt, every hair exactly where it should be; the kind of guy who talks without moving his jaw. About 10 minutes in, as I'm giving an excellent answer to some softball question, the partner leans back in his chair and puts his hand to his chin as if he's in deep rumination about my answer when all of a sudden he loses his balance and the chair falls backwards. His arms shoot out as he reaches for something, anything, to steady himself to no avail. As the chair hits the ground he does a summersault backwards and tumbles into a dishwasher, turning it on. It was loud. Partner gets up haphazardly, his suit jacket and hair flailing every which way, assures us he's fine and there was no need for us to get up as he starts manically mashing buttons trying to turn off the dishwasher. Associate has literally facepalmed and is shaking her head and quite obviously trying to stifle laughter, which is much better than me because I am cracking the fuck up. It was the most cartoonish thing I've ever witnessed in person and, god help me, I could not reign it in for the life of me. He stands there trying to get it to turn off for like a good 15 seconds before he starts cursing at it like a sailor. I am essentially doubled over laughing at this point and the associate is too. Eventually the partner realizes the sheer ridiculousness of having an interview interrupted by a dishwasher and starts laughing about it too, once he finally got the dishwasher to stop running of course.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You retold the story very well.

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:OCI screener done in a weird hotel room suite that had a full kitchen in it. Interview was with a young female associate and an old and distinguished looking partner. We're talking perfectly pressed suit, cufflinks and monograms on his undoubtedly custom made shirt, every hair exactly where it should be; the kind of guy who talks without moving his jaw. About 10 minutes in, as I'm giving an excellent answer to some softball question, the partner leans back in his chair and puts his hand to his chin as if he's in deep rumination about my answer when all of a sudden he loses his balance and the chair falls backwards. His arms shoot out as he reaches for something, anything, to steady himself to no avail. As the chair hits the ground he does a summersault backwards and tumbles into a dishwasher, turning it on. It was loud. Partner gets up haphazardly, his suit jacket and hair flailing every which way, assures us he's fine and there was no need for us to get up as he starts manically mashing buttons trying to turn off the dishwasher. Associate has literally facepalmed and is shaking her head and quite obviously trying to stifle laughter, which is much better than me because I am cracking the fuck up. It was the most cartoonish thing I've ever witnessed in person and, god help me, I could not reign it in for the life of me. He stands there trying to get it to turn off for like a good 15 seconds before he starts cursing at it like a sailor. I am essentially doubled over laughing at this point and the associate is too. Eventually the partner realizes the sheer ridiculousness of having an interview interrupted by a dishwasher and starts laughing about it too, once he finally got the dishwasher to stop running of course.

We have a winner!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:19 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:45 am

now this is a fucking story! and a happy ending to boot!

meowtwo

New

Post by meowtwo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:1) Had a screener with a partner and an associate. The partner farted and both looked over at me. I was flustered at that point so I just apologized profusely. It really stunk too. Got a CB.
lmao did you really take the fall for someone else's fart? only in law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:25 pm

On a CB I asked the interviewer why he picked the firm. He raves about the culture and says something like "people are civil here, just nice people doing good work; we have a no jerk policy here." One second later a sound comes through the air duct: it's two women shrieking at each other about a botched something or other. The attorney keeps talking as if nothing is happening but I cannot even pay attention. The yelling continues and in a minute I hear a knock. It's the recruiting coordinator and she tells the shouting women to "please be quiet because there's a candidate next door." One of the women in the office screams, "Who the hell are you? Don't you ever fucking tell me to be quiet."

The guy who's interviewing me finally acknowledges the yelling, only to say "women" and shrug his shoulders. He then continues his spiel, unphased.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a CB I asked the interviewer why he picked the firm. He raves about the culture and says something like "people are civil here, just nice people doing good work; we have a no jerk policy here." One second later a sound comes through the air duct: it's two women shrieking at each other about a botched something or other. The attorney keeps talking as if nothing is happening but I cannot even pay attention. The yelling continues and in a minute I hear a knock. It's the recruiting coordinator and she tells the shouting women to "please be quiet because there's a candidate next door." One of the women in the office screams, "Who the hell are you? Don't you ever fucking tell me to be quiet."

The guy who's interviewing me finally acknowledges the yelling, only to say "women" and shrug his shoulder. He then continues his spiel, unphased.

LOL LOL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”