Bad Interview Moments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Roy McAvoy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:31 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:My bad I didn't read close enough. Just seems odd for a person to hire law student interns to do web design/content creation for websites.
That was pretty much the point of the next poster (who thought they went to work for this nut job) who said that's what they did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Background: there is nothing gender-related / gender-specific on my resume. I have traveled a lot, worked abroad a few years, done some civilian govt internships in the US back in college, all pretty standard stuff.

1L summer interview with administrative law judge: I walk in, say hello. Judge motions for me to sit down, does not say hello back. I sit.

The first words out of his mouth: "I have looked at your application and I gotta say ... you have a pretty interesting resume for a woman."

Me: ... [blank stare ... WTF? Did he really just say that??]

Got offer and - needless to say - rejected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:11 pm

Does pronounce the firm name wrong a bad interview moment? ....

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does pronounce the firm name wrong a bad interview moment? ....
Remember, it's FREED Frank.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If a partner and associate screened me, and the partner went absolutely ballistic on me for saying something like "I understand associates have to do some doc review" is reporting her to my school gonna hurt. After all, there was a witness... I can't describe how awful this partner was. No justification to what she did. She screamed at me for a long amount of time in the interview.
I don't understand. What did she scream at you about? Why was she upset?
It's a partner. She doesn't need a reason to be upset. :lol:

She was just trying to show Anon what it's like at a law firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

strawberrieee

Bronze

Post by strawberrieee » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does pronounce the firm name wrong a bad interview moment? ....
https://law.duke.edu/career/pronunciation/

I don't go to Duke, but this saves my life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:48 am

I accidentally-on purpose ate a bug during an outdoor CB lunch. I felt something brush up against my face so I instinctively put my hand up to my face. My mouth was partially open so when I put my hand to my mouth, I smushed a bug that had landed on my face and accidentally shoved it in my mouth. I thought it would be weirder to then pull the bug out of my mouth/spit it out, so I just ate it. I was panicking about whether my interviewers saw it, but I was lucky and got next day offered. I will never sink lower for a job. Maybe.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I accidentally-on purpose ate a bug during an outdoor CB lunch. I felt something brush up against my face so I instinctively put my hand up to my face. My mouth was partially open so when I put my hand to my mouth, I smushed a bug that had landed on my face and accidentally shoved it in my mouth. I thought it would be weirder to then pull the bug out of my mouth/spit it out, so I just ate it. I was panicking about whether my interviewers saw it, but I was lucky and got next day offered. I will never sink lower for a job. Maybe.
:lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Several of the firms I interviewed at were proud of the fact that there were fervent Trump supporters who'd recently left (either of their own volition or due to being "nudged out"). I certainly wouldn't want to turn an interview into a political gabfest but don't think politics - if it comes up naturally - is necessarily interview kryptonite.

I think it's important to remember interviews go both ways - the firms are evaluating us, but we're also evaluating the firm. I like to think of it as a shared goal - both you and your interviewer want to discover if you'd be a good fit at the firm.
They want to know that if they have you sit in on a meeting with a client, you won't fuck things up by saying something inappropriate

Law is a client service business, and you need to be presentable to clients. Most law students can't read the room well enough to know when politics is appropriate, so they should STFU in interviews. It shows good judgment to not take big risks in an important interview.

If you're one of those top of the class law review freaks who can do whatever in interviews and get hired, fine, but that's not true for most people and so this is bad advice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I accidentally-on purpose ate a bug during an outdoor CB lunch. I felt something brush up against my face so I instinctively put my hand up to my face. My mouth was partially open so when I put my hand to my mouth, I smushed a bug that had landed on my face and accidentally shoved it in my mouth. I thought it would be weirder to then pull the bug out of my mouth/spit it out, so I just ate it. I was panicking about whether my interviewers saw it, but I was lucky and got next day offered. I will never sink lower for a job. Maybe.
Pros: Professional, engaging, good conversationalist, charismatic
Cons: Possibly a grownup Donnie from Wild Thornberrys

Offer recommended, with reservations

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Several of the firms I interviewed at were proud of the fact that there were fervent Trump supporters who'd recently left (either of their own volition or due to being "nudged out"). I certainly wouldn't want to turn an interview into a political gabfest but don't think politics - if it comes up naturally - is necessarily interview kryptonite.

I think it's important to remember interviews go both ways - the firms are evaluating us, but we're also evaluating the firm. I like to think of it as a shared goal - both you and your interviewer want to discover if you'd be a good fit at the firm.
They want to know that if they have you sit in on a meeting with a client, you won't fuck things up by saying something inappropriate

Law is a client service business, and you need to be presentable to clients. Most law students can't read the room well enough to know when politics is appropriate, so they should STFU in interviews. It shows good judgment to not take big risks in an important interview.

If you're one of those top of the class law review freaks who can do whatever in interviews and get hired, fine, but that's not true for most people and so this is bad advice
It's also entirely possible that they're just bad interviewers who enjoy making other people uncomfortable. Not every law firm interview is run by some psychology genius whose every move is designed to test your reactions.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I will never sink lower for a job. Maybe.
TBH I think a surprising number of associates would take you up on it if you offered to let them avoid the worst indignities of Biglaw in exchange for eating a bug every day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:04 pm

Welp, I just finished my interviewing season so I feel it's time to contribute to this thread and tell my stories.

1. I was at a callback and was interviewing with the last attorney (a partner) before going to lunch with associates. He wasn't in my preferred practice group, but our conversation was going really smoothly. Finally, there's a knock at the door from the associates who would be taking me to lunch. We both stand up, say our goodbyes, and I shake his hand. For whatever reason, after letting go I just swing my hand at high speed and end up smashing my arm into an open box of paper clips. Naturally, these rainbow paper clips go flying all over the room. He shakes his head and I offer to pick up the paper clips. "No, it's ok". "Are you sure? I can -" "No, really. It's fine." I sort of just nod and then slowly walk out of the office. As I'm leaving, I turn around and ask him if he wants the door to be open or closed. He says it doesn't matter. The last good look I get of him before I go to lunch is him hunched over the floor picking up these rainbow paper clips one by one.

Surprisingly, an offer.

2. Not exactly an interview, but related. I got an email from a firm giving me the generic "You were a great candidate, but unfortunately..." I think to myself that's really too bad. That's when I realize that not only did I not interview with this firm, but I had never even applied to the firm in the first place. I've looked back through my emails and tried to figure out if I've ever reached out to them in any way, but it doesn't look like it. It's still a mystery how they managed to get my email, but apparently I was such a terrible candidate they just wanted to really make it clear that I would not be offered a position.

No offer (obviously).

3. This one still kind of makes me cringe when I think about it. :oops: Interviewing with the hiring partner of a firm; the screener had gone really well previously, and I had gotten a callback on the spot. The hiring partner was in somewhat of a bad mood though; he kept emphasizing he was really busy and at one point took a call in the middle of the interview, letting me know afterwards that he was really busy and had to get something to a client before he got on his flight. At this point, I knew I would really have to impress to win him over.

Hiring Partner: So, read anything good lately?

Me (Mind racing to decide whether to just list off a generic book or this actual book I've been reading lately): Uhhh...

Hiring Partner: It's really not a trick question. I just want to read something new.

I decide to be honest for some reason. I could have said literally any other book in the world, but instead...

Me: Oh, ok. So there's this book I've been reading right now... It's about this African-American guy living in LA who owns one of the Little Rascals as a slave...

At this point I think about how stupid it is to be talking about this book, but I've already started talking about it, so full speed ahead right? My face is beet-red from embarassment.

Me: So he owns one of the former Little Rascals as a slave, but he wants to be a slave, because he's looking for a purpose in life where everyone's forgotten about him.

The partner is blank faced. I try to save it.

Me: The guy doesn't want to have a slave, but the Little Rascal makes him do it... uhhh, so it's a satire... about race relations. It's an award winning book. Eventually he goes to the Supreme Court and tries to overturn the 17th amendment - that's the amendment about slavery, right?

HP: Yeah. (It's not.)

Me: Yeah, so it's a comedy and just really supposed to be humorous and tongue-in-cheek and... award-winning... it's a satire.

HP: You told me that already.

We talk for a couple more minutes before he ends the interview early to take me to the associate who would be having lunch with me.

No offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EIWIsMyFetish

New

Post by EIWIsMyFetish » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Welp, I just finished my interviewing season so I feel it's time to contribute to this thread and tell my stories.

3. This one still kind of makes me cringe when I think about it. :oops: Interviewing with the hiring partner of a firm; the screener had gone really well previously, and I had gotten a callback on the spot. The hiring partner was in somewhat of a bad mood though; he kept emphasizing he was really busy and at one point took a call in the middle of the interview, letting me know afterwards that he was really busy and had to get something to a client before he got on his flight. At this point, I knew I would really have to impress to win him over.

Me (Mind racing to decide whether to just list off a generic book or this actual book I've been reading lately): Uhhh...

Hiring Partner: It's really not a trick question. I just want to read something new.

I decide to be honest for some reason. I could have said literally any other book in the world, but instead...

Me: Oh, ok. So there's this book I've been reading right now... It's about this African-American guy living in LA who owns one of the Little Rascals as a slave...

At this point I think about how stupid it is to be talking about this book, but I've already started talking about it, so full speed ahead right? My face is beet-red from embarassment.

Me: So he owns one of the former Little Rascals as a slave, but he wants to be a slave, because he's looking for a purpose in life where everyone's forgotten about him.

Me: The guy doesn't want to have a slave, but the Little Rascal makes him do it... uhhh, so it's a satire... about race relations. It's an award winning book. Eventually he goes to the Supreme Court and tries to overturn the 17th amendment - that's the amendment about slavery, right?

Me: Yeah, so it's a comedy and just really supposed to be humorous and tongue-in-cheek and... award-winning... it's a satire.

We talk for a couple more minutes before he ends the interview early to take me to the associate who would be having lunch with me.

No offer.
this is the kind of shit i live for

Graybrow

New

Post by Graybrow » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Welp, I just finished my interviewing season so I feel it's time to contribute to this thread and tell my stories.

1. I was at a callback and was interviewing with the last attorney (a partner) before going to lunch with associates. He wasn't in my preferred practice group, but our conversation was going really smoothly. Finally, there's a knock at the door from the associates who would be taking me to lunch. We both stand up, say our goodbyes, and I shake his hand. For whatever reason, after letting go I just swing my hand at high speed and end up smashing my arm into an open box of paper clips. Naturally, these rainbow paper clips go flying all over the room. He shakes his head and I offer to pick up the paper clips. "No, it's ok". "Are you sure? I can -" "No, really. It's fine." I sort of just nod and then slowly walk out of the office. As I'm leaving, I turn around and ask him if he wants the door to be open or closed. He says it doesn't matter. The last good look I get of him before I go to lunch is him hunched over the floor picking up these rainbow paper clips one by one.

Surprisingly, an offer.

2. Not exactly an interview, but related. I got an email from a firm giving me the generic "You were a great candidate, but unfortunately..." I think to myself that's really too bad. That's when I realize that not only did I not interview with this firm, but I had never even applied to the firm in the first place. I've looked back through my emails and tried to figure out if I've ever reached out to them in any way, but it doesn't look like it. It's still a mystery how they managed to get my email, but apparently I was such a terrible candidate they just wanted to really make it clear that I would not be offered a position.

No offer (obviously).

No offer.
This is incredible in every way. You're the best.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Surprisingly, an offer.

No offer (obviously).

No offer.
#2 happened to a friend of mine and after like a month of mystery, we finally figured out what happened. She got rejected from a firm she had never heard of in a market she had no interest in. Turns out that she had sent her resume to a friend to use as a template for his. When applying, he accidentally attached her resume with the rest of his materials (transcript, cover letter). They sent her the rejection letter in the mail.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:36 pm

#2 happened to me and my group of friends when I was in LS. Seemed like the firm just sent it to the entire class that participated in OCI to be SURE they hit all the rejected candidates. Or maybe they were getting their name out as a HIGHLY selective firm.
Last edited by JenDarby on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:40 pm

solid contributions
Last edited by El Pollito on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:28 pm

Recently had a callback at a v20-40 firm in NY. My first interviweing partner changed last minute without notice, so I probably looked totally unprepared and surprised to see this other partner I did not research about. Later, the 4th person to interview me got pulled into a meeting or sth and my interview with him got cancelled (but the third interviewer got an update on this during the interview and ended up spending more time with me). When I casually brought this up at the end the recruiting staff (whom I didn't get to see when the interview was over until I called her lol) was just like "oh sorry I forgot to tell you in advance."
Don't think this happens commonly at firms, and I am definitely starting to have second thoughts about this place.

masque du pantsu

Bronze

Post by masque du pantsu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recently had a callback at a v20-40 firm in NY. My first interviweing partner changed last minute without notice, so I probably looked totally unprepared and surprised to see this other partner I did not research about. Later, the 4th person to interview me got pulled into a meeting or sth and my interview with him got cancelled (but the third interviewer got an update on this during the interview and ended up spending more time with me). When I casually brought this up at the end the recruiting staff (whom I didn't get to see when the interview was over until I called her lol) was just like "oh sorry I forgot to tell you in advance."
Don't think this happens commonly at firms, and I am definitely starting to have second thoughts about this place.
Bro this happens literally all the time, certainly don't let that influence your choice. If you think they managed it unprofessionally then that's one thing, but cancellations left and right is often the norm. I mean think about it, who is even here at the office at the end of August, it's generally people who NEED to be here, and they need to be here because they are busy af. If a client on my deal says "we need to get on the phone asap" you can bet that i cam cancelling my interview. This is also why you should (i) always include interests on yoru resume, because it gives us something to ask about when we haven't had time to look at your resume before yo uwalk in teh door and (ii) try not to get butt hurt if someone hasn't read your resume ahead of time (because lol and just wait until you are in our position)

BlueParrot

New

Post by BlueParrot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recently had a callback at a v20-40 firm in NY. My first interviweing partner changed last minute without notice, so I probably looked totally unprepared and surprised to see this other partner I did not research about. Later, the 4th person to interview me got pulled into a meeting or sth and my interview with him got cancelled (but the third interviewer got an update on this during the interview and ended up spending more time with me). When I casually brought this up at the end the recruiting staff (whom I didn't get to see when the interview was over until I called her lol) was just like "oh sorry I forgot to tell you in advance."
This really does happen all the time and the recruiting staff at all firms is completely overwhelmed right now. I wouldn't put too much weight on this in considering firms.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:59 pm

BlueParrot wrote:
This really does happen all the time and the recruiting staff at all firms is completely overwhelmed right now. I wouldn't put too much weight on this in considering firms.
OP here. Thanks for the advice. I guess I should assume that too since I don't think they were mixing up interviewers on purpose. I just hope I didn't look too surprised with the change.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:32 pm

masque du pantsu wrote:
Bro this happens literally all the time, certainly don't let that influence your choice. If you think they managed it unprofessionally then that's one thing, but cancellations left and right is often the norm. I mean think about it, who is even here at the office at the end of August, it's generally people who NEED to be here, and they need to be here because they are busy af. If a client on my deal says "we need to get on the phone asap" you can bet that i cam cancelling my interview. This is also why you should (i) always include interests on yoru resume, because it gives us something to ask about when we haven't had time to look at your resume before yo uwalk in teh door and (ii) try not to get butt hurt if someone hasn't read your resume ahead of time (because lol and just wait until you are in our position)
Thanks. Just hoping my reaction with the change didn't come off as being unprepared. Perhaps I should have just mentioned "oh, you're not on the list I got" instead of awkwardly pretending I knew this new partner was going to interview me. I would of course be happy with an offer from them lol

masque du pantsu

Bronze

Post by masque du pantsu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
masque du pantsu wrote:
Thanks. Just hoping my reaction with the change didn't come off as being unprepared. Perhaps I should have just mentioned "oh, you're not on the list I got" instead of awkwardly pretending I knew this new partner was going to interview me. I would of course be happy with an offer from them lol
you gonna be fine. If anyone noticed, no way they care (unless your reaction was totally off the wall, f they do care, then THAT'S a red flag that you're dealing with a dickhead). Also, mostly the callbacks are about just having a conversation; you have the credentials to get in the door, the callback is just for them to decide whether they want to actually work with you. The only point of research is to "know your audience" in general and make yourself more comfortable, not necessarily to ask pointed questions. Bottom line, shake it off. In the future, the less you believe these things matter, the less they will matter. Feedback loop, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Had a screener with a very prestigious firm that has a reputation for working its associates very hard.

At the screener was a partner and an associate. For the first 15 minutes of the screener, the associate did all the talking and the partner was sending emails on his phone, barely noticed I was in the room. The associate was asking me a series of pre-planned questions "what was your favorite class?" "What was your least favorite class?" "What area of law are you interested in and why?" "Why are you interested in X market?" Etc. Kind of rote, and she didn't really follow up too deeply either. She was polite, but she was just getting through a list of questions.

About 15 minutes in she asks me "what about your prior work experience would make you a good associate at our firm?" (I am a former military officer). Obviously this question was my softball question that I looked forward to in every interview, and I had a specially crafted answer just for this specific, prestigious and hard working firm.

"Well," I said, "a big part of being in the military working hard, but also balancing work and life. I feel that's a skill that I have developed that will serve me well in law."

I thought I did pretty well on that question.

For the first time in the interview, the partner takes notice of me, and he was not pleased. This is what he said, pretty close to verbatim.

"Let me just stop you right there. Everyone has that exact same line. Everyone that we interview thinks that we are a hard working firm and that we are just gonna be so impressed with your ability to work hard. Guess what? EVERYBODY WORKS HARD!! Let me tell you something. We win a lot of our cases. We win more than we lose. But let me tell you something else. We don't win 100%, or 90% of our cases. Don't you think that if we worked 50% as hard as any other firm, we would win all of our cases? Sure, maybe we work harder than the other firms. But it's not that much harder. And that's what really gets me with law students and young associates. LAW IS HARD WORK!! I mean, look at me, I love summer. And I especially love July. July is like the Saturday of summers. Work slows down, and I get to go to the beach with my family. You know how many hours I billed in July? 350. I billed 350 hours in my slowest month of the year. Do you hear me complaining about how hard I work? You remind me of this associate in my office. I told him last Monday that on Wednesday he had to go to London for six weeks. And do you know what he said? He told me that wasn't reasonable. Are you kidding me? Like I said, law is hard work. If you don't wanna work hard, go sell insurance."

Right at that moment came the knock on the door from the next interviewer. Which, at the moment, was a happy blessing.

Got the callback. Was the very first callback I cancelled.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”