NYC Law Department Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Law Department

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am

Does anyone have any information on the interview process (how many rounds, types of questions, etc.) for either the 2L Honors Program or permanent counsel positions? Information on here seems scarce.

thaddjoog

New

Re: NYC Law Department

Post by thaddjoog » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Interview process for permanent positions and 2L positions are the same. Screener --> panel --> maybe a meet and greet with a young attorney --> meeting with the head of hiring --> maybe a meeting with an executive . (the italicized may not happen in every case)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Anyone know what a screener is like with them and the size of an average class since they take a substantial amount of first year corporation counsels from their summer interns? Thanks for the help!

thaddjoog

New

Post by thaddjoog » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:12 pm

A screener at the NYC law department is largely the same as a screener for any other type of legal job. Have the materials you're supposed to have (see website), and demonstrate a genuine interest in public service in NYC. The panel stage is when things can get a bit tricky, and you may be asked to demonstrate some relevant legal knowledge and highlight some litigation specific skills.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 am

thaddjoog wrote:A screener at the NYC law department is largely the same as a screener for any other type of legal job. Have the materials you're supposed to have (see website), and demonstrate a genuine interest in public service in NYC. The panel stage is when things can get a bit tricky, and you may be asked to demonstrate some relevant legal knowledge and highlight some litigation specific skills.
Has anyone heard back from the Law Dept.? Had an interview in October and still haven't heard anything good or bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Bump - had an interview recently. Anyone heard anything?

ukhalid24

New

Post by ukhalid24 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:01 pm

i
Last edited by ukhalid24 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

NYC Law Department

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Heard they kind of suck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm

ukhalid24 wrote:anybody hear back from their callbacks?
6.5 weeks since callback, haven't heard anything

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Just FYI, there has been movement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:59 pm

when you say movement, are you referring to candidates getting third round interviews, dings after second round, and getting into the honors program?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Anon above, I mean that I'm personally aware of two people receiving/signing offers with NYC Law Department this month after 2nd round interviews. (They are both 3Ls).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:47 pm

So I'm assuming they're doing their hiring for post-grad positions first and then hiring 2L interns or is this happening simultaneously?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Not to wrongly get everyone's hopes up but last year I interviewed for a 2L position in September and got an offer this February. It might have been because someone turned down their offer but just saying. Don't get too distraught if you haven't heard yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:36 am

I had my second round a couple months ago. Checked back in 2 weeks ago and was told I was "under consideration" but no movement.

However, I know someone who was offered a position (he's a 3L), 1 friend who was rejected after final round, and 1 rejected after second round. My guess is if they really like you, theyll offer you something but they want to keep the rest in a pool to decide as a whole.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:09 pm

anon above, who did you contact to find out your application status?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi,

I just got my offer.

I originally interviewed in September, it took 3 weeks to get a callback. At the callback, I interviewed with a panel and then another person. The next day I got a phone call for a third round where I met with the head of recruiting. It took about 2.5 weeks after that interview to get my offer. This was for the 2L summer.

But, I was in a bit of a different circumstance because I had another offer with an upcoming deadline, and told the CLD that they were my first choice (which they were!) but I had to know by my other offer deadline.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anon above, who did you contact to find out your application status?
The recruitment office
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

SlippinJimmy

New

Post by SlippinJimmy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

I just got my offer.

I originally interviewed in September, it took 3 weeks to get a callback. At the callback, I interviewed with a panel and then another person. The next day I got a phone call for a third round where I met with the head of recruiting. It took about 2.5 weeks after that interview to get my offer. This was for the 2L summer.

But, I was in a bit of a different circumstance because I had another offer with an upcoming deadline, and told the CLD that they were my first choice (which they were!) but I had to know by my other offer deadline.

Mind if I ask what tier school do you attend/grades did you get? PM if desired. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:00 am

I just got my offer.

congrats on getting the offer! Any tips for the third round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anon above, who did you contact to find out your application status?
The recruitment office/ Linda Williams
thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I just got my offer.

congrats on getting the offer! Any tips for the third round?
Sorry for the delay. Since I'm posting anon I don't think I get told when people reply.

What are your specific questions? Tips? It's a lot different. First round in general, I think it's just to see if you're a personality match. The guy who interviewed me was in a department that I knew nothing about. The second was a lot more formal. In the panel interview, they asked really tough questions about my writing sample.

The Third was much for "straight to the point." I was asked if I had ever been involved in any controversies, to describe my moot court partner, and to tell about a time I was asked to do something by management I disagreed with.

kristaann_vt

New

Post by kristaann_vt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:42 am

SlippinJimmy wrote:

I just got my offer.

Mind if I ask what tier school do you attend/grades did you get? PM if desired. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:07 am

If this helps anyone, I scheduled my third round interview earlier this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:If this helps anyone, I scheduled my third round interview earlier this week.
Are you interviewing only for family court by any chance? I heard they are going faster for that division.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”