The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Diamond

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
6) This might be a controversial opinion, but I do not think that anyone gives a fuck about cover letters. Make it as short as possible. Unless, there is some unique circumstance, I do not think overly thought-out cover letters are necessary or appropriate for the general application. All it can do is hurt you (misspellings, etc).

100% agree. I did not even submit a cover letter when applying for the job that got me out of the vale of tears after 7 months (big law staff attorney gig) and again did not submit a cover letter for my next job after that (mid law associate). Keep it super short and simple. It comes down to your resume and substantive work experience.

Yeah my employer clearly didn't read my cover letter because it had a typo in it. I remember discovering the typo right after I submitted the application and figured I was fucked. I told my hiring partner about it about a year after getting the job and she said she wouldn't have selected me for an interview if she had noticed it.

Anonymous User
Diamond

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an interview across the country scheduled for next week. Found out today that they have to reschedule. Checked with Delta, and they say my only options are either to pay a $200 change fee on my $205 ticket, which I can't afford, or to throw away the $205 I already spent...

How's everyone else's day going?

It's disappointing law firms do this and don't pay for the ticket or expenses. Law firms, especially big firms care so much about "prestige" and image. But they don't treat interviewees well.

If they really cared about perception they'd pay for it. Many tech companies will pay for flight and hotels for interviews, as well as give a generous allowance for food expenses. Many will give an extra night so you can see the city. I haven't interviewed at one that didn't do this.

If you're interviewing in the same state and plan to drive instead, they'll offer to pay for your car rental and fuel. You don't spend any money during the process. The plane tickets, hotels are all booked by them and they pay for it.

Even startups try the best that they can.

PorscheFanatic

Postby PorscheFanatic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had an interview across the country scheduled for next week. Found out today that they have to reschedule. Checked with Delta, and they say my only options are either to pay a $200 change fee on my $205 ticket, which I can't afford, or to throw away the $205 I already spent...

It's disappointing law firms do this and don't pay for the ticket or expenses. Law firms, especially big firms care so much about "prestige" and image. But they don't treat interviewees well.

If they really cared about perception they'd pay for it. Many tech companies will pay for flight and hotels for interviews, as well as give a generous allowance for food expenses. Many will give an extra night so you can see the city. I haven't interviewed at one that didn't do this.

If you're interviewing in the same state and plan to drive instead, they'll offer to pay for your car rental and fuel. You don't spend any money during the process. The plane tickets, hotels are all booked by them and they pay for it.

What are you talking about? Every firm I interviewed with paid for my flight, meals throughout the trip, hotel, and ubers to and from the airport in both cities.

Anonymous User
Diamond

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:31 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What are you talking about? Every firm I interviewed with paid for my flight, meals throughout the trip, hotel, and ubers to and from the airport in both cities.

I'm talking about the post I just replied to. What are you talking about?

PorscheFanatic

Postby PorscheFanatic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PorscheFanatic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm talking about the post I just replied to. What are you talking about?

What firms did you interview with that didn't pay for interview expenses? That's not something that happens at the "big firms." It sounds like you have experience with startups, but did you actually interview at big firms?

You literally print the form off the NALP website, send it to the firm with all your receipts, and then the firm writes you a check. I said "what are you talking about" because your information is wrong with respect to "big firms."

Anonymous User
Diamond

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 pm

hey- the bYU link isn't working right now

shantideva

Postby shantideva » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Hey, this thread was really helpful to me when I was an unemployed 3L so just wanted to pay it forward.

Saw this fellowship listing earlier today:
https://serviceyear.org/californiajusti ... ow/VbO4YJ/

Anonymous User
Diamond

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Out of the vale in a fedgov honors program.

shantideva

Postby shantideva » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of the vale in a fedgov honors program.

Congrats! :D

Anonymous User
Diamond

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of the vale in a fedgov honors program.

First of all congrats! Second, how did you get into an honors program post grad?

Anonymous User
Diamond

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Here is a job that doesn't require bar results to be hired. http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/docs/postings/LegCounI.pdf

Return to “Legal Employment”