The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Can I post a bar related question here?

Currently in the vale and going to school in IL. I would like to stay here post-graduation, but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to find a job here after graduation and couldn't afford rent without a job. I'm from NorCal and could easily live back at home if I do not get a job, but it would be a lot harder to find an IL job if I'm not in IL (so I would likely search for CA jobs).

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should sign up for the IL bar or apply to both IL and CA? The final filing deadline for IL is May 15th, and CA is June 15th. As of now, I think the best course of action is to wait until the IL deadline (since it's earlier) and if I do not have anything, sign up for CA. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, being in the vale is not fun.

Thanks

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:59 am

Can speak to IL bar but the moral character for the CA bar is super long. And if you have anything that could be problematic, passing the moral character stage will take even longer, delaying getting your license even after you pass the bar.

There have been people who lose their jobs because of licensing delays in CA.

So here's something else to consider.

Good luck on your search!

PS my two cents is to take the bar in the jurisdiction you'd like to practice in. If I hadn't gotten a job, I would have had to move back in with my parents in AL. You better believe I would never want to work there. Your situation might be different. Just stuff to think about.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can I post a bar related question here?

Currently in the vale and going to school in IL. I would like to stay here post-graduation, but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to find a job here after graduation and couldn't afford rent without a job. I'm from NorCal and could easily live back at home if I do not get a job, but it would be a lot harder to find an IL job if I'm not in IL (so I would likely search for CA jobs).

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should sign up for the IL bar or apply to both IL and CA? The final filing deadline for IL is May 15th, and CA is June 15th. As of now, I think the best course of action is to wait until the IL deadline (since it's earlier) and if I do not have anything, sign up for CA. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, being in the vale is not fun.

Thanks
I would pick one, CA bar is just loaded with bullshit to keep the pass rates artificially low so I can't imagine studying for that and somewhere else. It's worse for you since neither of your targets is a UBE state.

edit- accidental anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:00 pm

SECRETLY STARTED APPLYING TO PARALEGAL JOBS 3LOL WOOOOHOOO I LOVE LAW SCHOOL

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:07 pm

I know it's easier for me to say this looking from the outside, but if you can, don't do this yet. I applied to many jobs as a 3L but I tried to not apply to anything I didn't want to do. Simply put, I didn't want to end up having to take a job just because I had an offer and I needed the money.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:04 pm

NVM
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SECRETLY STARTED APPLYING TO PARALEGAL JOBS 3LOL WOOOOHOOO I LOVE LAW SCHOOL
Are you still in law school? Because if you are it's way too early for this level of desperation.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Yeah, if you're a 3L you have a long stretch between now and bar results coming out for applications (and there are a lot of places that won't hire until after you're licensed). It's too early to apply for paralegal gigs.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:20 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, if you're a 3L you have a long stretch between now and bar results coming out for applications (and there are a lot of places that won't hire until after you're licensed). It's too early to apply for paralegal gigs.
Yeah. I remember I had biglaw interviews (and for other gigs) until graduation.

Some of the strike-outs at my school ended up with biglaw gigs after graduation. It's not over yet. Just keep hustling. You shouldn't be applying for paralegal gigs until after your bar results, and even still. I know people who are just getting job offers now (they graduated last year). It's a long process

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:33 pm

3L with an offer from a midsize firm. I want to continue to take a swing at biglaw. Just having difficulty determining who is still hiring. Should I just email previous contacts and cold email firms? Any advice would be great!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I just email previous contacts and cold email firms?
Yes. Everybody's hiring, unless they're not. If you assume they're not you run the risk of missing those who are.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:30 pm

narfkarta wrote:Just use this: https://lawsalaries.blogspot.com/
Stop shilling this blog, dude. Not helpful in this thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L with an offer from a midsize firm. I want to continue to take a swing at biglaw. Just having difficulty determining who is still hiring. Should I just email previous contacts and cold email firms? Any advice would be great!
You're not in the vale so not the best thread to ask for advice. But obviously, yeah keep mass mailing and networking if you want a different job.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L with an offer from a midsize firm. I want to continue to take a swing at biglaw. Just having difficulty determining who is still hiring. Should I just email previous contacts and cold email firms? Any advice would be great!

majority of my 3L interviews with biglaw were from posts on Simplicity.
I stopped mass mailing since I saw no results from it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Dinged from my second callback (was dinged from first months ago). Now have no serious leads. Also checked my student loans for first time. Holy shit.

law school was far and away the biggest mistake i've ever made and i've made so, so many. tried to do it right. ended up at a t14. have above median grades. have a personality. fuck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, if you're a 3L you have a long stretch between now and bar results coming out for applications (and there are a lot of places that won't hire until after you're licensed). It's too early to apply for paralegal gigs.

Im at a T1 (25-30 range), been mostly top third throughout law school. I had a bad semester where I made a few B-'s and zero A's. I dropped to just outside median. Other than starting my own practice, odds of practicing law anywhere for a salary are looking dim. I need a job right out of graduation because I have a large amount of loans from law school and undergrad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Again, it's January; I think it's too early to say that. I get that you need to do what works for you but I don't want you to sell yourself short this early in the game. Also, keep in mind that payment on law school loans doesn't kick in until November and you should be able to have everything on an income-based plan. If your income is low enough your payments are 0.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Im at a T1 (25-30 range), been mostly top third throughout law school. I had a bad semester where I made a few B-'s and zero A's. I dropped to just outside median. Other than starting my own practice, odds of practicing law anywhere for a salary are looking dim. I need a job right out of graduation because I have a large amount of loans from law school and undergrad.
I know plenty of people in your same situation (re school and class rank) who found jobs either as 3Ls or within the first 9 months after graduation.

Outside of biglaw, firms, local government, and public interest organizations care a lot less about grades. Then it becomes a who you game in a way. So tap your resources, go to every networking event available, smile and be likeable. I once got offered a job with A Family Law Firm because I met the partner and he liked my terrible jokes. He didn't even ask what my class standing was or what classes I had taken.

If you do graduate without a job, you can get in income-driven payment plans. If your income is zero, that means your payment will also be zero. But if you can't for some reason, you can always talk to your lender about deferment.

I know a little bit on how you feel. I didn't get my offer for the job I'm in until a week before I was set to take my last law school finals. The stress and pressure was real, and I was freaking the fuck out. Despite that, I tried to keep my goals clear. You will likely not work during the bar full time. So you have all of that summer to look for paralegal jobs if you're in fact feeling like there's nothing else. But for now, all of your energy should go to finishing the semester strong and continuing to look for attorney jobs. It's not gonna be easy. Actually, with more rejections, this shit will be depressing AF. But it only takes one fucking yes. So keep pushing.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dinged from my second callback (was dinged from first months ago). Now have no serious leads. Also checked my student loans for first time. Holy shit.

law school was far and away the biggest mistake i've ever made and i've made so, so many. tried to do it right. ended up at a t14. have above median grades. have a personality. fuck

Same boat as you.
Just take it slowly. I looked on linkedin and it seemed like some of my strikeout classmates are in biglaw now, or in a decent gov. gig, or working for pwc/kpmg/similar firms. i'm a 2016 grad.

I'm utilizing my school funded fellowship since I had to move back to my home market where there are less jobs. Not sure what the outcome will be for me but it is getting me some great experience.

Also, I see tons of job postings for entry level jobs (much more after November when bar results come out) but on Simplicity. I haven't applied to them since they're not in my home market.

Moving forward: keep applying. Make sure you pass the bar. If you can, keep your grades up.

Loans: there's IBR. Don't worry. I'm 99% sure I have more loans than you. It's stressful sometimes but look at the big picture. Look at it over 10-20 years. Right now you might not be able to make a dent in your student loans but over the next couple years it will be paid back (slowly). Just keep your head up and don't let it get in the way of enjoying life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:16 pm

zot1 wrote:Can speak to IL bar but the moral character for the CA bar is super long. And if you have anything that could be problematic, passing the moral character stage will take even longer, delaying getting your license even after you pass the bar.

There have been people who lose their jobs because of licensing delays in CA.

So here's something else to consider.

Good luck on your search!

PS my two cents is to take the bar in the jurisdiction you'd like to practice in. If I hadn't gotten a job, I would have had to move back in with my parents in AL. You better believe I would never want to work there. Your situation might be different. Just stuff to think about.
Anon from above, thanks for the advice!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:20 pm

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I know plenty of people in your same situation (re school and class rank) who found jobs either as 3Ls or within the first 9 months after graduation.

Outside of biglaw, firms, local government, and public interest organizations care a lot less about grades. Then it becomes a who you game in a way. So tap your resources, go to every networking event available, smile and be likeable. I once got offered a job with a family law firm because I met the partner and he liked my terrible jokes. He didn't even ask what my class standing was or what classes I had taken.

What networking events? the only thing I know about is the public interest networking events organized by my law school and I have ZERO interests in PI. Where can I find networking events in the Bay Area or in general?

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Outside of biglaw, firms, local government, and public interest organizations care a lot less about grades. Then it becomes a who you game in a way. So tap your resources, go to every networking event available, smile and be likeable. I once got offered a job with a family law firm because I met the partner and he liked my terrible jokes. He didn't even ask what my class standing was or what classes I had taken.

What networking events? the only thing I know about is the public interest networking events organized by my law school and I have ZERO interests in PI. Where can I find networking events in the Bay Area or in general?
Join the local bar association
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:30 pm

I wasn't the one who mentioned networking events, but join the local bar association(s) (any and all, like usually the state and the local big city will have separate associations - dues are usually 0 for students), join the local associations for the kind of law you're interested in (like AILA for immigration lawyers - there are lots and lots of these, not limited to public interest), find out if you can join any the local Inns of Court (this can require getting someone to vouch for you but is an excellent opportunity if you can swing it), join the appropriate race/ethnicity/gender-in-law group if one is available to you, and go to any and all events any of these groups hold that you can. Talk to people. Don't walk up and say "I need a job," but just be a normal human being and talk to them and socialize and talk to them about what they do. Go to local CLEs in your field, if you can afford to (often they waive fees or are very cheap for law students). Volunteer to help out for events and such (people LOVE volunteers).

You can also do the informational interviewing thing - reach out to people from your law school/undergrad/whatever community you might have in common, ask them if they have time to answer some questions about getting into their field, ask genuine questions, have conversations with them, maintain contact in the future. But there are also lots of organized events.

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:39 am

Does anyone have the updated BYU password? The one listed on the first post (cougs16) isn't working.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”