The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:48 pm

ladybug1989 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a call back with a firm over a month ago, still no news... hoping they would at least get back to me before Thanksgiving...

At least one day out of a week I feel this unbearable sense of despair that I will never get a legal job. Today is one of those days. Being a 3L at a T14 with nothing lined up is truly the worst. I don't look forward to my classes next semester at all, nor graduation/bar trip.
I graduated from a lower T14 in May and landed a big law job at the end of September. Don't stress out, you're going to get more attention from firms after you graduate (I had several big law interviews), and even more attention once you pass the bar (if you don't land something sooner). I also had a couple big law interviews 3L spring. Make sure to have a contact in your career services office who will reach out to you with openings that are not listed.
That's incredible, congrats! How'd you stay positive throughout bar study?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:20 am

Did not think I would be here again :cry:

Back in the vale after being essentially fired....

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ladybug1989 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a call back with a firm over a month ago, still no news... hoping they would at least get back to me before Thanksgiving...

At least one day out of a week I feel this unbearable sense of despair that I will never get a legal job. Today is one of those days. Being a 3L at a T14 with nothing lined up is truly the worst. I don't look forward to my classes next semester at all, nor graduation/bar trip.
I graduated from a lower T14 in May and landed a big law job at the end of September. Don't stress out, you're going to get more attention from firms after you graduate (I had several big law interviews), and even more attention once you pass the bar (if you don't land something sooner). I also had a couple big law interviews 3L spring. Make sure to have a contact in your career services office who will reach out to you with openings that are not listed.
That's incredible, congrats! How'd you stay positive throughout bar study?
Just remember that you’re more marketable after passing. And as a corollary, If you don’t pass (assuming you still lack a job when results come out), you are in a much much shittier spot than you currently are.

Stay motivated by remembering those two things.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did not think I would be here again :cry:

Back in the vale after being essentially fired....
I’m sorry to hear that. What were the circumstances? Are you still on the website (if a firm)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Still here. Graduated last May and I've been doing a state trial court clerkship.

I've been networking and developed a very good relationship with a senior biglaw associate at one of the firms in town who is on the recruiting team of the firm. He’s determined to get me into a bigger firm, but I’m still wondering if that’s even the life I want. Having too much time to ponder this is causing me analysis paralysis. Should I just do it even if I don’t think I’ll enjoy it? I summered at a mid-sized regional and strongly disliked it.

In the interim, I have gone through three rounds of interviews with a county attorney’s office (civil – dream job in the dream location—ended up not getting it), a huge telecom company, and a very big regional firm. No word on the latter two; however, this whole process of not knowing sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still here. Graduated last May and I've been doing a state trial court clerkship.

I've been networking and developed a very good relationship with a senior biglaw associate at one of the firms in town who is on the recruiting team of the firm. He’s determined to get me into a bigger firm, but I’m still wondering if that’s even the life I want. Having too much time to ponder this is causing me analysis paralysis. Should I just do it even if I don’t think I’ll enjoy it? I summered at a mid-sized regional and strongly disliked it.
Yes. First, being employed beats being unemployed 1000X. Second, even if you hate it, it will be much, much easier for you to lateral to a different job once you have that BigLaw stamp on your resume. It's always easier to get a second job than to get the first job, and especially so when the first job is BigLaw. Third, you may not even hate it at all! Depending on the midlaw you summered at, you may find the BigLaw life significantly more to your speed. Some midlaw firms work associates brutal, BigLaw-ish hours without providing the corresponding BigLaw pay, benefits, or support staff.

This is a golden opportunity. I urge you to seize it with both hands (and be very thankful to that senior associate for being willing to go the extra mile to get you in!). Worst case scenario, you leave after ~a year with an enviable resume line item and significantly better finances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Help! I have a big firm interview next week and I'm 99% sure the only reason I got the interview was because I have some state judicial internship experience in my background. My competitors/classmates have much better credentials (grades/ranks) than me. How do I convince this firm to hire me, their pity interviewee, despite my below average grades?
Some good advice I once heard is to assume that you are on equal footing with all of the other interviewees right before each respective interview begins. In other words, if there are 5 interviews, they are 20% likely to hire each interviewee before speaking with them. Then, the only thing that could sway the firm’s feelings one way or another is how much they like you when they meet you.

So if you can get into that mindset, you’ll do better than assuming it’s a pity interview.
This is very solid advice. I like this. I never looked at it like this, but this is a better mindset to have than having your present mindset. Because lets say you did not get an interview, you sure as hell would have STILL BEEN saying the same thing to yourself... "it's because my friends have better credentials" and yada yada.. "that's why I did not get the interview..." Now, you got an interview, yet you're still making it seem like "oh, I just got lucky because of the internship... and my friends still have better credentials than me." Listen man, you got the interview because they liked you for you, not your friends, not because you got lucky, not because they had pity on you.

The point is, if you did not get this interview, you would have been upset and probably have said the same thing to yourself that you're saying now. So now when you do have the interview, why complain and say the same thing to yourself? In other words, when you're "down", you complain, but when you're "up," you still complain. You see how irrational this is. Complaining is normal. It's human nature, but you can work on it. Just chill out and go nail this interview. Also, it is not your job to convince anyone to hire you technically. That sounds desperate. "Hire me please and have pity on me" is not something you want to portray at the interview because interviewers can smell that vibe from you. If anything It's a two-way streak, both of you should be interviewing each other to see if they are a right fit for you, and if you are a right fit for them. In this situation, you are choosing to have a negative mindset. You have nothing to worry about. Switch up your mindset, and you are golden bro!

Anonymous User wrote: I'm sorry that is honestly terrifying. I'm so scared to graduate.

I'm applying for mostly employment/bankruptcy positions/firms in the midwest. I'm applying all over the country but I feel like I have more of an advantage around my area since I'm also at a regional tier 1. I've gotten a handful of interviews, perhaps 1/10 of the applications I send out? And i don't know how many applications I've sent but I'm sure it's less than a hundred. I try but I get depressed from rejections and can go weeks without applying.

I'm just really scared. It seems like I keep hearing stories of law grads not finding jobs and it sounds like my future.
We have different experiences. I am no way similar to you. Don't let my story scare you. What applies to me may not apply to you. Yes, there is a consensus that the legal market sucks, but we are all unique in our ways. My experiences do not mirror yours. Why compare my life to yours then? For one, I am limited to my home state market. I am applying for a completely different niche than you. You are not limited to a particular state, see what I mean. That is a huge difference technically. All this is to say is that you are an individual of your own. Don't let my stories scare you because they may have no effect on you. Who knows maybe you will find something before you graduate, but to find that job, you will have to keep hustling... now that is one thing, we have similar experiences on. To get a job, you must hustle in today's market. Also. don't be depressed. Just look at it like it's a numbers game and laugh it off at the end of the day. Keep working hard though!

1 interview out of 10 applications!! Dude, you're on fire. That's the average. So, for every 10 applications you send, expect 1 interview. I sent about 150 application, and I got 15 interviews, so that was 10%. Some people will get more than 10% (maybe 15-25%), but it will never be as high as 40 to 50% for most people (meaning you get half the interviews lol so for 100 applications, you got 50 interviews.... rare as hell these days). 1/10 is what you should be expecting when initially starting out, and 1/10 is what it will be normally for everyone regardless of law school rank, class rank, etc... because it really is the average. This improves with experience, class rank, school, etc, but as long as you're 1/10 atm, you're doing great! Granted these are all numbers, individual experiences markets, etc, will vary, but 1/10 is the expected norm if you are really going out there and hustling.
First OP here. Thanks all! I had my interview yesterday and then a final exam almost immediately after so I didn't have too much time to agonize over it. I agree that acting like it's a pity interview probably wouldn't have helped me. I walked in like I was their best candidate and the interview seemed to go well. But it's too soon to tell so fingers crossed!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Currently 3L at a T10 and slightly below median. Grades have gotten better, but I had a bad first semester and apparently that was enough to screw me at 2L OCI (plus lack of ties to major markets). It absolutely sucks to not have something lined up when you had to watch your friends work at massive firms for massive money SAs when you barely scratched out in a secondary market for peanuts. Have mass mailed around 1000 applications (clerkships, big/medium/small firms, government) but have a grand total of nothing to show for it. Gotten a couple of BigLaw callbacks and other smaller firm interviews but always seem to lose out after a "reevaluation of needs." I know interviewing has been a problem in the past and I have taken steps to try to correct it (coaching, practice interviews, etc.).

I wanted to go to a top school because I wanted the type of career that a brand-name school could get you (BigLaw followed by in-house, federal government, or manageable-hours midlaw). Now I feel like a fool for attending this school when I could have had the same bad prospects for free at a state school in a state I loved to lived in. People keep saying the legal market is good, but it is pretty hard to see how from my position. Have kept mass mailing to anyone I've heard of that has some semblance of an opening and places I think might be receptive to someone with my schooling/credentials. I'm really trying not to lose hope, but part of me just wants to drop out and go teach English in Europe.
Just got an offer and am out of the Vale. Thanks to everyone here for helping me keep up hope!

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:52 am

Partially an advice post, partially me venting. Graduated in 2018 below median from a T1 that is very strong regionally. Passed the bar last July, yet still no job. Actually got an offer that I turned down because i didn’t wann do real estate transactions and really wanna do litigation. I’ve sent out hundreds of apps and had a fair amount of interviews. I try to stay positive generally but some days the job hunt seems hopeless and I just get depressed af. Now it’s coming up on a year after graduation and I feel even more pressure cause soon I’ll be competing with 2019 grads. I’m also worried cause I’ve just been doing doc review and bascislly it’s months of no meaningful legal work. What can I do to put myself in a better position or make myself a stronger candidate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Iceman22

New

Post by Iceman22 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:31 pm

MGH1989 wrote:Partially an advice post, partially me venting. Graduated in 2018 below median from a T1 that is very strong regionally. Passed the bar last July, yet still no job. Actually got an offer that I turned down because i didn’t wann do real estate transactions and really wanna do litigation. I’ve sent out hundreds of apps and had a fair amount of interviews. I try to stay positive generally but some days the job hunt seems hopeless and I just get depressed af. Now it’s coming up on a year after graduation and I feel even more pressure cause soon I’ll be competing with 2019 grads. I’m also worried cause I’ve just been doing doc review and bascislly it’s months of no meaningful legal work. What can I do to put myself in a better position or make myself a stronger candidate?
You're at the bottom of the career field working in doc review, so you need to work your way out.

Step 1: Get a judicial clerkship. State district level is easier. This is a great way to sell yourself in interviews for "litigation" positions, for obvious reasons.

Step 2: Don't fall into the clerkship trap. It can be a cushy job and some people linger for far too long. It should be used as a spring board; 1-2 years and you should be out. Also, talk with your judge about your goals and see if they are okay with you leaving when a job opportunity comes. Some judges require a year from their clerks, but if the opportunity is right, consider burning that judge bridge.

That's my general advice without knowing more.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed May 22, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2019 6:39 pm

For any graduating 3L’s still looking for a job, my school’s simplicity shows a few firm jobs advertised in the last couple weeks:

Paul Hastings (Costa Mesa office; finance group)
Morris Manning (Large Atlanta firm; corporate group)
Morgan Lewis (DC office; structured finance group)

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ladybug1989 wrote:

New Mexico's 5th DA is hiring right now, and they're always desperate. When I worked there we hired very single resume that came into the door. Fired from last DA job and working doc review in Seattle? Hired. Cooley grads who have never found legal work? Hired. If you're willing to move, there are legal jobs to be had.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 22, 2019 4:11 pm

I had a screener interview that a partner connection help me out with almost two months ago. Interview went really well but no word afterwards. I've reached out to the HR contact three times now and he keeps telling me they are still conducting first round interviews. I haven't heard anything now for two weeks and I'm honestly hesitant to reach out to HR for a fourth time. At what point does this become harassment? I also reached out to the partner a couple days ago and no word, but he could just be busy. Additionally they have now posted another associate position that I'm very qualified for but I don't want to jeopardize my current pending status by applying for another position there. Thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Wed May 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:Partially an advice post, partially me venting. Graduated in 2018 below median from a T1 that is very strong regionally. Passed the bar last July, yet still no job. Actually got an offer that I turned down because i didn’t wann do real estate transactions and really wanna do litigation. I’ve sent out hundreds of apps and had a fair amount of interviews. I try to stay positive generally but some days the job hunt seems hopeless and I just get depressed af. Now it’s coming up on a year after graduation and I feel even more pressure cause soon I’ll be competing with 2019 grads. I’m also worried cause I’ve just been doing doc review and bascislly it’s months of no meaningful legal work. What can I do to put myself in a better position or make myself a stronger candidate?
You're at the bottom of the career field working in doc review, so you need to work your way out.

Step 1: Get a judicial clerkship. State district level is easier. This is a great way to sell yourself in interviews for "litigation" positions, for obvious reasons.

Step 2: Don't fall into the clerkship trap. It can be a cushy job and some people linger for far too long. It should be used as a spring board; 1-2 years and you should be out. Also, talk with your judge about your goals and see if they are okay with you leaving when a job opportunity comes. Some judges require a year from their clerks, but if the opportunity is right, consider burning that judge bridge.

That's my general advice without knowing more.
(1) Easier said than done to just get a clerkship. And of course state district level is easier (it's the only barely viable option at this point)
(2) OP should not be passing up non-doc review gigs just because he/she wants to do litigation. OP is in no position to be turning down offers, because once 2019 grads get their bar results, OP will be SOL barring a miracle.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed May 22, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2019 9:47 pm

I’m the d00d that went to a Texas t1 regional who had like 15 interviews and had no luck. Recently landed a job on my 16th. Look if I had stopped after that 15 and lost hope, I wouldn’t have gotten this job. I get a decent salary and the added benefits which will soon become active, are nice. It took me more than 3 months after passing July bar to find a gig.

The point is like I said before, it’s a numbers game. Just like everything in life is. [Misogynistic bragging redacted]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:53 am

Finally out of the vale!!!!!

Big law in a major market in a niche corporate practice group.

2019 T2 grad with just below median grades. I didn't do great my first year but I compensated that by interning every semester after 1L summer and by participating on journal and clinic. Additionally I took practically every "corporate law" course my school offered: seg reg, m&a, banking regulation, ect.

Ive lurked this forum since before law school so I want this to be an inspiration to anyone that is still in the vale - if i can make it out so can you! Im a first generation college and law student and all through law school I constantly felt like I wasn't good enough or that I would never get a job. Regardless of my pessimism I kept applying to job postings and one finally stuck.

Good luck to everyone and don't give up!!!!

Wbrem

New

Post by Wbrem » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Finally out of the vale!!!!!

2019 T2 grad with just below median grades. I didn't do great my first year but I compensated that by interning every semester after 1L summer and by participating on journal and clinic. Additionally I took practically every "corporate law" course my school offered: seg reg, m&a, banking regulation, ect.

Ive lurked this forum since before law school so I want this to be an inspiration to anyone that is still in the vale - if i can make it out so can you! Im a first generation college and law student and all through law school I constantly felt like I wasn't good enough or that I would never get a job. Regardless of my pessimism I kept applying to job postings and one finally stuck.

Congrats!!
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finally out of the vale!!!!!

Congrats! I had a similar story, with slightly better grades and better school, and I can't stress enough how important it is too beef up the resume with internships, specific coursework, journal, etc.

Some advice for those in the vale: if you don't have a job secured after the first semester of 2L, it's important to find a specific practice you're interested in and focus on internships/coursework in that practice. I would also advise writing articles about hot issues in that specific practice, becoming a research assistant for profs, etc. This is what will set you apart from the dozens of resumes employers get for that 1 position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Hey, so any advice from the Vale would be helpful. I'm doing a biglaw interview in two days and I'm pretty nervous... I didn't SA my second summer (did gov) but worked at a small firm last semester, did well grades-wise just before graduating so bumped up to lets say top 35-45% at a T14. The firm that reached out is top 15 vault and while not NYC, still big city. I had pretty much given up on biglaw and not sure how I should prepare for this. On top of that, the people I'm interviewing with are ridiculously qualified, I guess just wondering if anybody has any advice. I feel like the job is out of reach and I'm happy about the opportunity but also worried about getting my hopes up (especially considering I'm halfway through bar prep, got enough on my plate). I suppose they extended an interview so they must be interested on some level.

I guess as a more practical bonus question, I'm interviewing with 4-5 people over a 2-2.5 hours and looks like I'm hitting multiple partners in this more specialized practice. Would this be a CB-type interview or will they do a 2nd round (I'm assuming the latter). I haven't done a screener.

Thanks

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, so any advice from the Vale would be helpful. I'm doing a biglaw interview in two days and I'm pretty nervous... I didn't SA my second summer (did gov) but worked at a small firm last semester, did well grades-wise just before graduating so bumped up to lets say top 35-45% at a T14. The firm that reached out is top 15 vault and while not NYC, still big city. I had pretty much given up on biglaw and not sure how I should prepare for this. On top of that, the people I'm interviewing with are ridiculously qualified, I guess just wondering if anybody has any advice. I feel like the job is out of reach and I'm happy about the opportunity but also worried about getting my hopes up (especially considering I'm halfway through bar prep, got enough on my plate). I suppose they extended an interview so they must be interested on some level.

I guess as a more practical bonus question, I'm interviewing with 4-5 people over a 2-2.5 hours and looks like I'm hitting multiple partners in this more specialized practice. Would this be a CB-type interview or will they do a 2nd round (I'm assuming the latter). I haven't done a screener.

Thanks
This is a callback and you need to hit it out of the park with the partners. Be prepared, do a mock interview if you can tomorrow with career services, even if it's over the phone. Learn something interesting about each attorney (e.g., member of a board, etc.) and fit that in with a question. Always have 3-4 questions ready to go. You should ask questions within the interview and not leave it just for the end...in other words, it should be a conversation. Be sure to have certain questions, like why this firm, why this practice, etc. locked down. Think about some cool work you did at the small firm/gov position that you can tie into the practice you're interviewing for.

Good luck, and most importantly, just be yourself. Don't be nervous, be confident. They just want to see that you're normal and someone they're willing to spend 12 hours a day with.

Lastly, definitely don't count yourself out of big law, even if you miss out on this opportunity. You got good grades, I would just keep improving and don't settle for less.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkateboardT

New

Post by SkateboardT » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:39 pm

As somebody who will officially be a 3L in about a month am I worrying too much that I don't have a job lined up right now? I feel like the goal is to wind up with a job before 3L year starts and that I should be going all out contacting alumni, mass mailing, and applying to everything I can.

I've applied to around 30 or so clerkships, will be trying for DOJ honors, and have reached out to some firms and alumni in my home-state trying to capitalize on my geographic connections. I'm top 45% at a T1, Federal Prosecutor to Big Gov on my 1st and 2nd summers. Not a shoe-in candidate in major markets, but still better than most at my school which performs well regionally.

I guess my question is should I be freaking out and working overtime mailing any and every firm I can find? I figure networking and getting a contact at a firm is always beneficial, but that it'll only go so far for the time being because firms aren't sure who they'll be keeping from their SA classes and firm needs materialize later on in the cycle.

Hoping I'm overthinking it but it's a bit terrifying...seems like most folks in here are 2019 grads...sorry if I'm stepping on any toes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Iceman22

New

Post by Iceman22 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:01 pm

SkateboardT wrote:As somebody who will officially be a 3L in about a month am I worrying too much that I don't have a job lined up right now? I feel like the goal is to wind up with a job before 3L year starts and that I should be going all out contacting alumni, mass mailing, and applying to everything I can.

I've applied to around 30 or so clerkships, will be trying for DOJ honors, and have reached out to some firms and alumni in my home-state trying to capitalize on my geographic connections. I'm top 45% at a T1, Federal Prosecutor to Big Gov on my 1st and 2nd summers. Not a shoe-in candidate in major markets, but still better than most at my school which performs well regionally.

I guess my question is should I be freaking out and working overtime mailing any and every firm I can find? I figure networking and getting a contact at a firm is always beneficial, but that it'll only go so far for the time being because firms aren't sure who they'll be keeping from their SA classes and firm needs materialize later on in the cycle.

Hoping I'm overthinking it but it's a bit terrifying...seems like most folks in here are 2019 grads...sorry if I'm stepping on any toes.
It's too early to be freaking out, so relax a bit. You're doing enough right now to set yourself up for success, but even then don't worry if nothing you have done up to this point pans out. Generally, the student who have jobs lined up this early are biglaw for the most part, some with clerkships, and a small number with other circumstances. Everyone else gets jobs post graduation, post bar, or post clerkship.

Keep an eye out for government honors application windows, which tend to start opening up soon.
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunbun28

New

Post by sunbun28 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Unsure how many still here are seeking public interest positions, but I'll give this a shot to see if anyone has an answer for me.
I applied to LSNYC and received a "conditional offer." I am not entirely sure on what it is conditioned, but I am currently going through what is called the "rostering" process. Had a recent interview-like phone call with a project director, who told me that they would be in touch soon.

Does anyone know if a "conditional offer" is given only to those LSNYC is genuinely going to hire, and if rostering is just more of a formality? Or do they give conditional offers to like 100 people and only finalize offers for 50? Because when I was given the offer initially, I assumed it was more final than perhaps it was.

So, TL;DR, how legit is a "conditional offer" with LSNYC, and what exactly does the rostering process entail?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help! I graduated in May, so fingers crossed for a final offer. :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:04 am

Hey! I'm an anon from earlier, finally got a job!! As others have said, reading other stories of success and advice was helpful to me throughout the whole process and so I wanted to say my own piece.

Just keep hitting every eligible opening on symplicity/Indeed and emailing/networking. It's so true that you only need ONE to work out and then you're good, and all the previous suckiness doesn't matter anymore. I also think it was good in some ways to have only gotten this at the last moment, because the true test of character and who you really are comes when everything everything isn't necessarily clicking into place as easily as you want. I know I wouldn't be the same person if I'd gotten a job right after the summer of my first year. I was able to appreciate working to get a position at a firm and learning to understand that not having a job is NOT AT ALL a reflection of who you are. So much of this whole thing is genuinely just luck/timing and this has helped me understand that.

Some practical advice, as others have said, see if you can find a specialty field that can give you a leg-up in 3L hiring. Also, get your GPA up as much as possible, even if it means taking some easy fluff classes.

Whether its small/mid/big law, just keep plugging away. For the recent grads, enjoy the post-bar time you have and for rising 3L's, get to work mass mailing and applying to whatever you can. Good luck to everybody and stay positive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Does the 3L hiring timeline happen a little slower than 2L? I had what I thought was a on-the-spot CB for a screener I had last week but they've yet to reach out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”