The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 am

For mass mailing, is it appropriate to send your application material to an alumni in the group you want to practice in? And if so, should you still cc the firm's recruiting contact?

Thanks for any help guys. And remember, all in the Vale will prevail!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For mass mailing, is it appropriate to send your application material to an alumni in the group you want to practice in? And if so, should you still cc the firm's recruiting contact?

Thanks for any help guys. And remember, all in the Vale will prevail!
Only mass email application materials to recruiting contacts. If you want to contact an alum, send him an email introducing yourself, noting your practice area of interest, and asking him if he knows what the needs of the firm are. He might just tell you to contact recruiting, but you might get lucky and he will ask you for your app materials, or he will invite you to coffee.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:58 pm

I guess that's it for me. Unless I lock down a job in the next 30 days and start working soon thereafter, gonna get deported. Thank you for all the support thus far. Although it didn't work out for me, it was comforting to have some people to weather this out with. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess that's it for me. Unless I lock down a job in the next 30 days and start working soon thereafter, gonna get deported. Thank you for all the support thus far. Although it didn't work out for me, it was comforting to have some people to weather this out with. Thank you.
I'm so sorry to hear that - why do you have to leave the country if I may ask? I'm a Class of 2017 in a similar situation. From I understand, our OPT status doesn't expire until like next July, no? I'm sure you can find some kind of part-time/volunteer job now to tide things over.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I guess that's it for me. Unless I lock down a job in the next 30 days and start working soon thereafter, gonna get deported. Thank you for all the support thus far. Although it didn't work out for me, it was comforting to have some people to weather this out with. Thank you.
I'm so sorry to hear that - why do you have to leave the country if I may ask? I'm a Class of 2017 international student in a similar situation. From I understand, our OPT status doesn't expire until like next July, no? I'm sure you can find some kind of part-time/volunteer job now to tide things over.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Apply to New Mexico's 6th DA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anonymous User wrote:
I guess that's it for me. Unless I lock down a job in the next 30 days and start working soon thereafter, gonna get deported. Thank you for all the support thus far. Although it didn't work out for me, it was comforting to have some people to weather this out with. Thank you.
I'm so sorry to hear that - why do you have to leave the country if I may ask? I'm a Class of 2017 in a similar situation. From I understand, our OPT status doesn't expire until like next July, no? I'm sure you can find some kind of part-time/volunteer job now to tide things over.
OP here. As per the requirements of our OPT, we can't accrue more than 90 days of unemployment from the time the OPT period starts. This means that if we don't START working by mid-October, we will be outstaying our welcome and making us illegal :( Honestly, my visa status has been my crutch throughout this whole process... I originally got an offer from my summer firm, but then had it rescinded when I told them about visa sponsorship. It honestly makes me want to cry just thinking about it because the only reason I am in this situation is literally just because I was born in a different country :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. As per the requirements of our OPT, we can't accrue more than 90 days of unemployment from the time the OPT period starts. This means that if we don't START working by mid-October, we will be outstaying our welcome and making us illegal :( Honestly, my visa status has been my crutch throughout this whole process... I originally got an offer from my summer firm, but then had it rescinded when I told them about visa sponsorship. It honestly makes me want to cry just thinking about it because the only reason I am in this situation is literally just because I was born in a different country :cry:
This is all true but you CAN actually find a part-time job (e.g. clerking for a solo practitioner) or volunteer position such as unpaid internship/research assistant for a professor. These positions will count as employment for OPT purposes. While these jobs certainly aren't ideal or permanent, they will allow you more time to stay in the country and look for an actual job.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is all true but you CAN actually find a part-time job (e.g. clerking for a solo practitioner) or volunteer position such as unpaid internship/research assistant for a professor. These positions will count as employment for OPT purposes. While these jobs certainly aren't ideal or permanent, they will allow you to stay in the country to look for an actual job.
Accidental double post

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 pm

This is all true but you CAN actually find a part-time job (e.g. clerking for a solo practitioner) or volunteer position such as unpaid internship/research assistant for a professor. These positions will count as employment for OPT purposes. While these jobs certainly aren't ideal or permanent, they will allow you to stay in the country to look for an actual job.
Very true, but at this point, I don't know how much longer I can do this anymore. I have sent out +800 job applications/cold emails to every single firm or company that I can find/think of. I've attended countless network events. Had 14 "coffees"/informational interviews. And still nothing. Ironically enough, the only places that I HAVE received interest from are BIG law firms, and as soon as I mention visa status, they're like "Oooh, do we do that?" It just gets demoralizing at some point. Sorry, did not mean to vent.

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:55 pm

Saw post for associate who has LLM in tax, CPA, accounting experience or transferrable skills for 20+ attorney law firm in South
Central PA. Send resume and cover letter to msmith@n-hlaw.com

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Accidental double post
If I'm not mistaken, OPT requires all jobs to be paid positions directly related to your field of study and which cannot be on-campus/school-funded to count as employment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm out of the Vale boys and girls. V10 firm in a secondary market. Good luck to everyone!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm out of the Vale boys and girls. V10 firm in a secondary market. Good luck to everyone!
Congrats!! Are you 2017 or 2018? How did you get the gig?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm out of the Vale boys and girls. V10 firm in a secondary market. Good luck to everyone!
Congrats!! Are you 2017 or 2018? How did you get the gig?
2018. Sent an email, got a screener, a callback, and an offer all within 48 hours. Pretty wild.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Can you give us stats (school range/gpa/level of work experience)? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
T14. 3.30. Summered at another firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why were you in the Vale if you summered, no offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yep.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 am

For AmLaw firms without a nalp page, or firms without recruiting emails on the nalp page, how do you find the recruiting email? Just surf the firm website?

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:45 am

For anyone with ties to the Central Valley (CA) and an interest in corporate work - Dowling Aaron is looking for corporate associates.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For AmLaw firms without a nalp page, or firms without recruiting emails on the nalp page, how do you find the recruiting email? Just surf the firm website?
Call reception and ask for the email. It's always worked for me.

eminentdomain

New

Post by eminentdomain » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yep.
Can you pm me the name of the firm please? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:05 pm

eminentdomain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yep.
Can you pm me the name of the firm please? Thanks!
I don't see what the point of that would be.

anonymous1905

New

Post by anonymous1905 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:07 am

Dinged from Morgan Lewis NYC and Philly via email

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”