The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:29 am

Congrats. I keep hearing it is pretty much a waste of time for a 3L to find a decent private practice job at this point until passing the bar. What do you think? Seems like most all the big firms are set and the mids are waiting til spring or summer to determine needs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Just out of curiousity... what market and what size firm? I am just wondering if is the same firm I recently interviewed with over the phone.
Definitely not, because I'm doing gov't/PI, not firm stuff.
Oh ok. Well congrats and good luck!
Thanks and good luck hearing back from your phone interview!

quakpond

New

Post by quakpond » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:27 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:Congrats. I keep hearing it is pretty much a waste of time for a 3L to find a decent private practice job at this point until passing the bar. What do you think? Seems like most all the big firms are set and the mids are waiting til spring or summer to determine needs.

Yea, I wonder if this is true too. Has anyone had any luck with law firms recently?

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:36 pm

I'm too forlorn too even read this thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During 2L OCI I was top 15% at a T1 school with LR. (now top 10%) During 2L I won several national moot court competitions and got on LR e board. After striking out at 2L OCI and subsequent mass mail I ended up working shitlaw during the summer.

I've been massmailing like crazy for for the past three months. 150 mass mails resulted in 4 interviews. Waiting to hear back on one of them, dinged at the others.

At this point, I'm just going to ride out the rest of this loan money. I'm going to party balls. If I still don't have anything lined up when I graduate I'm going to move away from this crappy city and move to Colorado. I swear to god, I'll ski bum the rest of my life and never pay a penny back. On the bright side, even though I'll be poor I'll probably enjoy my life more than many of my friends who landed biglaw.

The unfortunate part is realizing that I have failed. I already knew this after 2L summer, but now it's getting real. So much for a family, decent car, and home. Cheers bros, and good luck to all of you.
Back again. Scored a job with a small office of a midsize regional firm. Looks like I get (have?) to foregoe the ski bum life for a while. All I can say is keep up the mass mail and tailor cover letters as much as possible, especially when contacting small firms. And then most importantly, follow up. The only reason I got the job is because I followed up with another email a week after first mailing them, and then a week later called. That's what got me the interview, and ultimately the job. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:During 2L OCI I was top 15% at a T1 school with LR. (now top 10%) During 2L I won several national moot court competitions and got on LR e board. After striking out at 2L OCI and subsequent mass mail I ended up working shitlaw during the summer.

I've been massmailing like crazy for for the past three months. 150 mass mails resulted in 4 interviews. Waiting to hear back on one of them, dinged at the others.

At this point, I'm just going to ride out the rest of this loan money. I'm going to party balls. If I still don't have anything lined up when I graduate I'm going to move away from this crappy city and move to Colorado. I swear to god, I'll ski bum the rest of my life and never pay a penny back. On the bright side, even though I'll be poor I'll probably enjoy my life more than many of my friends who landed biglaw.

The unfortunate part is realizing that I have failed. I already knew this after 2L summer, but now it's getting real. So much for a family, decent car, and home. Cheers bros, and good luck to all of you.
Back again. Scored a job with a small office of a midsize regional firm. Looks like I get (have?) to foregoe the ski bum life for a while. All I can say is keep up the mass mail and tailor cover letters as much as possible, especially when contacting small firms. And then most importantly, follow up. The only reason I got the job is because I followed up with another email a week after first mailing them, and then a week later called. That's what got me the interview, and ultimately the job. Good luck!
Congrats!!!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Glad you've left the vale bro. Hope all of us can be so lucky.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm getting a large amount of "check back in January / February" responses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Whelp just got no-offered from my 2L SA today. Not even sure where to begin right now. Is it too late in the game?? Stats: Median at T10.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Whelp just got no-offered from my 2L SA today. Not even sure where to begin right now. Is it too late in the game?? Stats: Median at T10.
What kind of firm let's you know in October? That's fucked up.

It's not too late in the game. There is no 3L hiring season, so it's not really a "game."

quakpond

New

Post by quakpond » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:50 am

kalvano wrote:I'm getting a large amount of "check back in January / February" responses.
I just get a lot of rejections.. you mind me asking what market you've been trying? I'm wondering if it's my stats that cause the rejections, or if it's because of the different markets.

I'm focusing mainly on California.

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:42 am

While there are conflicting views and occasional luck, for the most part, big law is done and mids and smaller firms mostly will not make any further hiring decisions until February or so. The one exception I have seen is some smaller and mid sized firms are hiring for winter break contract work and school year project work. The assumption is that they have some need and if you do a good job and a position opens up, you should be first in line.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:39 am

I'm buying into this whole firms-not-going-to-pay-attention until the spring thing so that I can stop thinking about it so damn much and work on improving my grades. Hate to be doing that as a 3L.

I'm working a lot at the firm that no-offered me this summer and hoping they wind up having a spot for me, but I glanced at our timekeeping software last week and none of the associates are on pace to be over the hours goal for the year. Bad news bears.

Sigh. I mean, I guess I could always go back to being a union rep.

Sigh.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:43 am

TTH wrote:I'm buying into this whole firms-not-going-to-pay-attention until the spring thing so that I can stop thinking about it so damn much and work on improving my grades. Hate to be doing that as a 3L.

I'm working a lot at the firm that no-offered me this summer and hoping they wind up having a spot for me, but I glanced at our timekeeping software last week and none of the associates are on pace to be over the hours goal for the year. Bad news bears.

Sigh. I mean, I guess I could always go back to being a union rep.

Sigh.
I wish I had done something before law school so I could have something to fall back on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:49 am

These firms can suck my nuts. I had a V50 that gave me a callback 2L year call me up (which I thought was me getting an offer from another big law firm I had a CB with) and say we are going to be interviewing people and your resume was forwarded by X partner. My resume had my gpa on it and the partner said that my grades were much better in the email to HR (bottom 15% 1L, got it up to about median 2L). Send my transcript, and exactly two days later I have a rejection in the mail...i didn't even fucking apply in the first place.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:17 am

Also, does anyone else think networking for legal employment is an elaborate flame?

For two years, I went out of my way to cultivate relationships around town, and it's resulted in precisely dick. Mileage may vary for family connections and what not, but as someone who didn't have lawyers in the family or grow up around lawyers, my vaunted network hasn't accomplished shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 am

You cannot force networking. Networking played a huge part in getting my 3L offer from a firm I did not summer at. My guess is you still need a little tweeking. And networking does not always present you with an opportunity right now. You should never expect immediate results from networking. You will reap the benefits of it as you move along in your practice (i.e., lateralling, referals, etc.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2LsAPlenty

Bronze

Post by 2LsAPlenty » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:28 pm

There is certainly a luck component. My friend kept in touch with a hiring partner who ended up sending her an overflow assignment or two and it end up not only in a 2L SA but a permanent offer after the summer. Have another friend on journal that just got a part time gig with firm with at least some prospect of an offer if the work is good. Is that luck or not.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:20 am

Had a CB Friday which I partly got through some family connects. Said they'd let me know early this week. No calls M or T. Got a bad feeling about this.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:55 am

rad lulz wrote:Had a CB Friday which I partly got through some family connects. Said they'd let me know early this week. No calls M or T. Got a bad feeling about this.
Good luck man. I wouldn't be too worried. Shit, I had a clerkship interview over a month ago and the judge hasn't made a decision. I know he hasn't picked someone because I called and asked on Monday.

I have an interview with a Vault firm Friday, so we'll see how that goes.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Omerta wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Had a CB Friday which I partly got through some family connects. Said they'd let me know early this week. No calls M or T. Got a bad feeling about this.
Good luck man. I wouldn't be too worried. Shit, I had a clerkship interview over a month ago and the judge hasn't made a decision. I know he hasn't picked someone because I called and asked on Monday.

I have an interview with a Vault firm Friday, so we'll see how that goes.
Ya I just gotta remember theses deadlines mean nothing.

Solid mang, good luck. You get that interview from that round of mass mails earlier this year?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Chin up bro. I bet you're going to get good news.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:01 pm

TTH wrote:
If I get the offer I'll mail you a 5th of whiskey in celebration.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTH wrote:
If I get the offer I'll mail you a 5th of whiskey in celebration.
Well shit, now I really want you to get it. :lol:

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:08 pm

quakpond wrote:
kalvano wrote:I'm getting a large amount of "check back in January / February" responses.
I just get a lot of rejections.. you mind me asking what market you've been trying? I'm wondering if it's my stats that cause the rejections, or if it's because of the different markets.

I'm focusing mainly on California.

Texas / P-NW / New England.

No idea about California, but I'm running about 50 / 50 on straight-up "no's" versus "check back with us later."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”