The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 11:48 am

So, serious question, but do people think about skipping graduation? I really, almost physically can't stand being around my peers right now; we recently had our last day of classes, and while all my classmates were celebrating, popping bottles of champagne, I just kind of watched from a corner cuz I was too depressed to join in. I hit another low yesterday when I went into office hours with my study group, and the professor said, "Oh, you are all 3Ls? How wonderful! Where are you going after graduation?" Friend 1: "Big law job." Friend 2: "Big law job." Me: "Oh... I'm still looking..." I literally wanted to dig a hole in the floor and crawl in and hide. I imagine graduation would be like these experiences x100, so now I'm really not sure if I want to go. Would I likely regret it later if I don't go to my own graduation (this is my friends' arguments), or is it not really a big deal?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed May 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Is it important for your family? I was in the same boat as you, unemployed and feeling terrible about it. My mom was really excited for me and so I went anyway to appease her and make her happy. Sometimes these moments are as important for your loved ones as they are
For you. In the end, I'm happy I went because it felt great walking across the stage, knowing my time in LS was done.

I don't think you should skip out just because you are bummed about your job position. With that said, some of my friends didn't go and it was NBD. It's not that exciting and it was pretty long.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Wed May 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, serious question, but do people think about skipping graduation? I really, almost physically can't stand being around my peers right now; we recently had our last day of classes, and while all my classmates were celebrating, popping bottles of champagne, I just kind of watched from a corner cuz I was too depressed to join in. I hit another low yesterday when I went into office hours with my study group, and the professor said, "Oh, you are all 3Ls? How wonderful! Where are you going after graduation?" Friend 1: "Big law job." Friend 2: "Big law job." Me: "Oh... I'm still looking..." I literally wanted to dig a hole in the floor and crawl in and hide. I imagine graduation would be like these experiences x100, so now I'm really not sure if I want to go. Would I likely regret it later if I don't go to my own graduation (this is my friends' arguments), or is it not really a big deal?
Graduations are not for the graduates . . . . it's for their families. Do you have anyone set on coming to the graduation? If not, you could always watch the commencement speech on Youtube and receive the diploma via USPS. :) However, if you parents paid for any part of your tuition, you owe it to them to show up so they can attend and feel proud. That's the least you can do. (disclosure: I skipped my high school graduation . . . . just because. My indifferent parents didn't even notice. lol).

Cheer up, bro/sis. The most successful people from the school I attended, 20 years later, are the ones who started their own firms (as a solo, duo or trio) straight out of law school because they couldn't find a job. . . . any job. They found their tiny little niches in law and grew their practice over time. Now they are loving it and making FU money, while their BigLaw cohorts are no longer in BigLaw or even practicing law. Don't worry. But definitely pass the bar, no matter what. Peace and love.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Counter: I went to my graduation, it was fine, but I don't think I would have missed much by not going.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed May 03, 2017 1:53 pm

I went to graduation and was unemployed at graduation. I know a lot of people don't care/don't go, but I wanted to go and also knew it was really important to my family.

I don't remember any mention of jobs, really. I just sat with my friends and listened to the speakers, took pics with some friends and family, and then went home and had a fun party.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Wed May 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Of my close friends who I spent graduation with, I was one of maybe half who had a job lined up, so take it as you may. Graduation was unremarkable beyond getting drunk beforehand with my friends at 10AM. No one talked about jobs or the bar or anything stressful. But I was also with a great group of friends who I'm still close with years later.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed May 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, serious question, but do people think about skipping graduation? I really, almost physically can't stand being around my peers right now; we recently had our last day of classes, and while all my classmates were celebrating, popping bottles of champagne, I just kind of watched from a corner cuz I was too depressed to join in. I hit another low yesterday when I went into office hours with my study group, and the professor said, "Oh, you are all 3Ls? How wonderful! Where are you going after graduation?" Friend 1: "Big law job." Friend 2: "Big law job." Me: "Oh... I'm still looking..." I literally wanted to dig a hole in the floor and crawl in and hide. I imagine graduation would be like these experiences x100, so now I'm really not sure if I want to go. Would I likely regret it later if I don't go to my own graduation (this is my friends' arguments), or is it not really a big deal?
No one talked about jobs on my graduation and your professor sounds like a complete asshoke. Try not to get to caught up in the whole what other classmates are doing though. Obviously you have to do what is best for your own mental wellbeing but you also do not want to get in a cycle of increasing isolation from classmates.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Thu May 04, 2017 7:31 am

If you attend, you might get lucky - your Dean just might get up there and tell y'all that the value of a law degree is way more than superficial poop like employment -- the $150,000 legal edumacashun made you a better person, and now you can be anything, like a US Senator from Texas who always looks like giving birth to a rhino. Such a flexible degree, he reiterates as all of you roll your eyes.

Good times.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 9:12 am

I skipped graduation and went to a music festival that weekend instead. My family wasn't planning to attend anyway and didn't care, and I got to celebrate on my terms with people I actually wanted to be around. You should celebrate this accomplishment however you want - not attending the graduation ceremony is NBD.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Thu May 04, 2017 9:27 pm

I didn't attend my graduation ceremony and have zero regrets whatsoever many years later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Somebody please help me. I just had my last final ever for my law school career, and instead of rejoicing or celebrating, I have been crying non-stop for the past hour and fifteen minutes. I honestly don't know what came over me, but as soon as I walked out of the exam room, I felt the tears kind of welling up in my eyes and I have literally locked myself in my clinic office since then. I go to a T6, I am literally the only one of three people I know (including 2Ls!) who doesn't have a job. Like legitimately, of the people know, I am one of only 6 people (in private sector) who is NOT going to Big Law (3 of those 6 are doing clerkships), and the only 3L I know who doesn't have a job. I feel like a complete failure, I feel like I wasted over $100 grand and kinda screwed my brother in the process too because my family invested in me so that once I graduate, I'd be able to refinance his education, so he has been holding off applying to grad school. I have applied/cold emailed over hundreds of firms. The last time I checked, I was at 514, although I've stopped counting. Of those hundreds of emails, I've only gotten 3 interviews. I've had 7 informational interviews. I've been to too many networking events to count. And I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't even know why I'm posting this. I just, I don't know, I can't do this any more. Fuck. I'm so sorry for letting this all out here, but I feel like I needed to post this or tell someone or something. I'm trying to control myself so I can walk out of this room and get home. Sorry.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri May 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Somebody please help me. I just had my last final ever for my law school career, and instead of rejoicing or celebrating, I have been crying non-stop for the past hour and fifteen minutes. I honestly don't know what came over me, but as soon as I walked out of the exam room, I felt the tears kind of welling up in my eyes and I have literally locked myself in my clinic office since then. I go to a T6, I am literally the only one of three people I know (including 2Ls!) who doesn't have a job. Like legitimately, of the people know, I am one of only 6 people (in private sector) who is NOT going to Big Law (3 of those 6 are doing clerkships), and the only 3L I know who doesn't have a job. I feel like a complete failure, I feel like I wasted over $100 grand and kinda screwed my brother in the process too because my family invested in me so that once I graduate, I'd be able to refinance his education, so he has been holding off applying to grad school. I have applied/cold emailed over hundreds of firms. The last time I checked, I was at 514, although I've stopped counting. Of those hundreds of emails, I've only gotten 3 interviews. I've had 7 informational interviews. I've been to too many networking events to count. And I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't even know why I'm posting this. I just, I don't know, I can't do this any more. Fuck. I'm so sorry for letting this all out here, but I feel like I needed to post this or tell someone or something. I'm trying to control myself so I can walk out of this room and get home. Sorry.
I think this sounds like a normal reaction to this situation. I would like to know your job search strategy because it seems like maybe there is some tweaks you can make to get better results.

Don't compare yourself to other people because it isn't helpful. I worked for years in biglaw and I am telling you that many people who feel like it's the answer to their career will find out that they are wrong. You have to find you own path.

I would also try to find therapy or counseling as you need support in dealing with this. Beating yourself up only makes it worse.

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Fri May 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Honestly, graduation was one of my hardest moments in law school. I went because my family was proud of me. I didn't even know anyone else who was jobless, all my friends were either clerking or going to big law so that day was really difficult for me. Luckily I was able to find a job about 2 months later and so far I love it. Keep going at it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Fri May 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Somebody please help me. I just had my last final ever for my law school career, and instead of rejoicing or celebrating, I have been crying non-stop for the past hour and fifteen minutes. I honestly don't know what came over me, but as soon as I walked out of the exam room, I felt the tears kind of welling up in my eyes and I have literally locked myself in my clinic office since then. I go to a T6, I am literally the only one of three people I know (including 2Ls!) who doesn't have a job. Like legitimately, of the people know, I am one of only 6 people (in private sector) who is NOT going to Big Law (3 of those 6 are doing clerkships), and the only 3L I know who doesn't have a job. I feel like a complete failure, I feel like I wasted over $100 grand and kinda screwed my brother in the process too because my family invested in me so that once I graduate, I'd be able to refinance his education, so he has been holding off applying to grad school. I have applied/cold emailed over hundreds of firms. The last time I checked, I was at 514, although I've stopped counting. Of those hundreds of emails, I've only gotten 3 interviews. I've had 7 informational interviews. I've been to too many networking events to count. And I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't even know why I'm posting this. I just, I don't know, I can't do this any more. Fuck. I'm so sorry for letting this all out here, but I feel like I needed to post this or tell someone or something. I'm trying to control myself so I can walk out of this room and get home. Sorry.
It's tough. I went to a T8 and went through the exact same things you did. You just have to keep at it. Have you tried applying for clerkships? I ended up getting more clerkship interviews than firm interviews after not getting big law my 2L year. There are usually state clerkships available, they aren't nearly as prestigious as fed but a COA or S Ct State clerkship is still a solid landing. Try looking for smaller firms also. That's where I'm at, a firm just under 20 and so far I love it. Doesn't pay like biglaw 75-85k starting out with the lesser workload is still very doable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2017 7:54 pm

dusters wrote:
Honestly, graduation was one of my hardest moments in law school. I went because my family was proud of me. I didn't even know anyone else who was jobless, all my friends were either clerking or going to big law so that day was really difficult for me. Luckily I was able to find a job about 2 months later and so far I love it. Keep going at it.
Hi, just curious, were you applying/interviewing while studying for the bar? I'm trying to prep myself for the long haul, but the thought of going through applications while studying for the bar is nauseating :cry:

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Fri May 05, 2017 8:04 pm

I actually graduated in winter so I was applying all through 3L year and then the first few months after I graduated. I think I got my offer early March maybe. Doing bar study right now while I'm working.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Sat May 06, 2017 9:20 am

Longtime lurker on this thread. Somehow I managed to pull off getting a job just before Graduation while being in the lower 50% and at a T2 school. Everyone keep grinding and working on your connections. I got my position completely through networking

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Sat May 06, 2017 12:19 pm

Some thoughts:

1. It may not feel like it now, but perhaps 50% of all law students would gladly switch places with someone who is at T6 (and presumably kicked arse in undergraduate, too).

2. Based on what I have read, I suspect that you did not do as well as you would've liked in terms of GPA/class rank, and was not on a journal or moot court. Correct me if I am wrong.

3. Based on your applications-to-interviews ratio, I must ask are you listing your GPA/class rank on your resume, or attaching your transcript to the email? If so, stop. Sure, they will find out later either way, but if you don't get an interview, you have zero chance of winning them over with whatever you got going on.

4. Forget BigLaw at this juncture. They have a pretty rigid interview cycle and they typically complete their entire hiring quota with their 2L Summer Associates and limited 3L fall interviews. They usually can't change hiring quota until the next firm budget comes out. It's all planned out well ahead of time. Unless there is a mass disaster wiping out the entire summer class (don't get any ideas. lol), BigLaw is out of reach at this point. Maybe later in your career - though not likely, to be honest - there are ways. BigLaw is not the nirvana that people make it out to be.

5. Don't feel bad about your family too much - you have tried, and you have beaten yourself up over it, it seems. Your brother can fend for himself just fine.

6. No matter what people tell you, BigLaw is only a means to an end, not the end in itself. There are so many different ways to get to the end (happiness? fulfillment? wealth?). Most BigLaw first-year associates never sniff becoming a partner. In fact, many don't last even 3 years. Then, they move onto to something else. BigLaw is just a very good stepping stone.

7. State clerking positions or medium/smaller law firm positions are what you might want to target. Medium and smaller firms have much less rigid hiring cycle - it's more of "as needed" basis.

8. You have to regain your confidence - your interviewers will undoubtedly see that. If you can't, fake it well.

9. Recruiters (aka headhunters) would not help you. Very few corporations hire law students immediately upon graduation (and definitely not those who didn't spend a summer there).

10. In your situation, you MUST pass the bar the first time, which means you must treat it like a full-time job. Go to the lectures in the morning, study, eat lunch, and study until 5. Relax. Repeat. You can do job search stuff after dinner, but don't sacrifice your bar prep for a job search in any material way. You fail the bar and that will further reduce your chances of securing a position that you covet, whatever that might be.

11. Consider seeing a counselor or psychiatrist - no biggie, I am pretty sure a good majority of lawyers do. It doesn't mean you are crazy, weak or anything.

If you have additional questions, feel free to reply to this message, DM me here, or through the contact page at don't link your off-site commercial endeavors here You will do fine. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Hello. So post-final meltdown OP here. I ended up staying in my clinic office for another thirty minutes before going home and spent the rest of the day in bed. I feel a little embarrassed now that it's the next day, but thought that I should post a response. First, I want to thank you all for your encouraging responses. It did make me feel better a little. Second, I guess I kind of want to apologize again for posting my meltdown on here. I've been keeping it together all year, just telling myself "Something will turn up before school is over, something will turn up before school is over", and everyone I know, from my school's career services office, to partners I've met through networking events, to my friends, have all been telling me, "You have really good credentials and a great resume - you'll find something in no time!", so when I finished my last final still sans job, I think it just kind of hit me like a brick wall. I feel bad now for airing this because I know that this thread doesn't need any more anxiety than it already has, so again, I really apologize.

In terms of approaching job search and my application; I've served on the exec board on two student groups, and I'm on a journal. I actually wrote a note that was published in one of the student journals at my school. I've worked in legal internships my past two summers. My Achilles' heel has been my grades. I finished just under 3.0 my 1L year, which kind of started the whole downward spiral that has been my ensuing law school career. My grades have improved over the years, but they are not stellar. I honestly don't care about big law/small firm at all; I just really want a job. The reason why I mentioned that in my previous post I guess was just kind of to paint a picture of the environment I'm in. I know that I shouldn't compare myself to other people, and to be honest, I never really cared about the whole big law lifestyle; but it's just been really hard not to compare myself to others when everyone I know has a big law position, and I'm scrambling to just secure ANY position. Ironically enough though, the three interviews I got above were all with Big Law firms. I've been sending applications to EVERYTHING I can find - legal, big or small size firms, boutiques, consulting firms, banks, regulatory practices. And it's only been Big Law firms which have expressed interest, which has been a weird twist of fate. I've been looking at positions on Symplicity, and just cold-emailing people directly through the contact info provided on firms. Are there any other resources or sites that I should be looking at? I would actually like to know if there's a good database for smaller sized firms or midsize firms, because my school, being upper-tier, has great resources with regards to big law, but almost NO info with regards to even mid-size firms :cry: If there are resources people can direct me to, I would definitely appreciate it. Also, I've been sending in my resume, transcript, and a writing sample. Should I just not send my transcript in? Would hiring people find that suspicious?

Thank you again for all the support guys. Like honestly, it has really, really been helpful. Thank you.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sat May 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello. So post-final meltdown OP here. I ended up staying in my clinic office for another thirty minutes before going home and spent the rest of the day in bed. I feel a little embarrassed now that it's the next day, but thought that I should post a response. First, I want to thank you all for your encouraging responses. It did make me feel better a little. Second, I guess I kind of want to apologize again for posting my meltdown on here. I've been keeping it together all year, just telling myself "Something will turn up before school is over, something will turn up before school is over", and everyone I know, from my school's career services office, to partners I've met through networking events, to my friends, have all been telling me, "You have really good credentials and a great resume - you'll find something in no time!", so when I finished my last final still sans job, I think it just kind of hit me like a brick wall. I feel bad now for airing this because I know that this thread doesn't need any more anxiety than it already has, so again, I really apologize.

In terms of approaching job search and my application; I've served on the exec board on two student groups, and I'm on a journal. I actually wrote a note that was published in one of the student journals at my school. I've worked in legal internships my past two summers. My Achilles' heel has been my grades. I finished just under 3.0 my 1L year, which kind of started the whole downward spiral that has been my ensuing law school career. My grades have improved over the years, but they are not stellar. I honestly don't care about big law/small firm at all; I just really want a job. The reason why I mentioned that in my previous post I guess was just kind of to paint a picture of the environment I'm in. I know that I shouldn't compare myself to other people, and to be honest, I never really cared about the whole big law lifestyle; but it's just been really hard not to compare myself to others when everyone I know has a big law position, and I'm scrambling to just secure ANY position. Ironically enough though, the three interviews I got above were all with Big Law firms. I've been sending applications to EVERYTHING I can find - legal, big or small size firms, boutiques, consulting firms, banks, regulatory practices. And it's only been Big Law firms which have expressed interest, which has been a weird twist of fate. I've been looking at positions on Symplicity, and just cold-emailing people directly through the contact info provided on firms. Are there any other resources or sites that I should be looking at? I would actually like to know if there's a good database for smaller sized firms or midsize firms, because my school, being upper-tier, has great resources with regards to big law, but almost NO info with regards to even mid-size firms :cry: If there are resources people can direct me to, I would definitely appreciate it. Also, I've been sending in my resume, transcript, and a writing sample. Should I just not send my transcript in? Would hiring people find that suspicious?

Thank you again for all the support guys. Like honestly, it has really, really been helpful. Thank you.
Sorry to hear about your situation. It seems like you're spamming everything that is coming across your radar, which is good, but it's also likely why you're not getting any traction. Everywhere you're applying is getting a million applications because they're coming across every law students' radar. Whichever state you're in, find a list of every single DA, PD, and city attorney office. Send paper and email copies of a cover letter and resume to every one, regardless of whether they say they're hiring. Do the same for Wyoming, Idaho, Mississippi, and so on. Look for states that have had abnormally low bar passages (Arizona and New Mexico come to mind), they're likely scrambling to find attorneys when their summers/interns/students they extended offers to failed the bar.

keong678

New

Post by keong678 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:44 am

Lincoln wrote:
andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Hi OP, here. Thank you for the summary. This unfortunately leaves me in a bit of predicament tho, because I am international and I would need to secure a job by September, or else I'd get deported. Am I out of luck? :cry:
I'd look for the most desperate offices in desperate places. Rural mountain west DAs and PDs.
This is not great advice. Many (most?) DA offices require you to be a citizen.
I am not a citizen but I got a job at States attorney's office in one of the biggest cities in the East Coast. Should try applying. The pay is not bad either (69K) for state gov't. Median grades, although I was top 30 1L at a T3.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Fri May 12, 2017 5:33 pm

keong678 wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Hi OP, here. Thank you for the summary. This unfortunately leaves me in a bit of predicament tho, because I am international and I would need to secure a job by September, or else I'd get deported. Am I out of luck? :cry:
I'd look for the most desperate offices in desperate places. Rural mountain west DAs and PDs.
This is not great advice. Many (most?) DA offices require you to be a citizen.
I am not a citizen but I got a job at States attorney's office in one of the biggest cities in the East Coast. Should try applying. The pay is not bad either (69K) for state gov't. Median grades, although I was top 30 1L at a T3.
I imagine you're authorized to work thanks to a green card. It sounds like OP has only a student visa, though I am not 100% sure. Is there such a thing as a state DA job that would sponsor you for a green card or at least a work visa? Probably not, no?

MichelleMichelle

New

Post by MichelleMichelle » Sun May 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Last edited by MichelleMichelle on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm sorry you're in the situation you're in. As someone who was in a very similar position a few years ago (graduating a T6 and not knowing what I'd be doing next), I just want to say that you're not doomed. You aren't a failure. You're still really smart and capable and things can absolutely still work out for you.

I'd like to echo MichelleMichelle's suggestion that you look into your school's fellowship offerings. I did a public interest fellowship for a year after graduation. I got good experience, and more importantly I got to interact and network with other attorneys. I'm now in a job that I'm really happy with (its honestly quite close to what I wanted to do at the time I entered law school), and all my 3L anxiety is just a bad memory.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello. So post-final meltdown OP here. I ended up staying in my clinic office for another thirty minutes before going home and spent the rest of the day in bed. I feel a little embarrassed now that it's the next day, but thought that I should post a response. First, I want to thank you all for your encouraging responses. It did make me feel better a little. Second, I guess I kind of want to apologize again for posting my meltdown on here. I've been keeping it together all year, just telling myself "Something will turn up before school is over, something will turn up before school is over", and everyone I know, from my school's career services office, to partners I've met through networking events, to my friends, have all been telling me, "You have really good credentials and a great resume - you'll find something in no time!", so when I finished my last final still sans job, I think it just kind of hit me like a brick wall. I feel bad now for airing this because I know that this thread doesn't need any more anxiety than it already has, so again, I really apologize.

2016 T6 who graduated without a job while seemingly everyone else had BigLaw:

I felt exactly the same way.

I subsequently discovered that more people than I had thought didn't have anything lined up. So for starters, know you FEEL like it's just you but there are many others in your boat. Like you, I didn't do well first semester. Got a B- and I still blame that for my striking out for BigLaw.

The commenter who said that you need to focus on the bar is 100% correct.The job market felt incredibly stagnant until around October/November. I know that's not what you want to hear but that's what I saw. At that point, firms/government agencies know that Bar results are coming out. They wait so they know that they'll hire someone who passed. It really helps to pass.

Keep in mind that although a lot of people have jobs lined up, not all of them start on September 1st. A lot of people defer and firms stagger their start dates. I ended up getting a job in November and ended up starting before many of my BigLaw brethren. You're not unemployed. You will find a job. It'll take time and it's frustrating to be in a world where you feel like you failed by not getting a job offer two years before you could even work. Take your mindset out of the legal/law school world for a second. Almost no other field operates this way. Relax. Focus on the bar and keep applying. You'll get there soon.

I know you asked for mid-law advice, but I know empathy really helped me.

PS: Look into government work, too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”