The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
theswisswereright

New

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by theswisswereright » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Well, 3L has begun, and I just got rejected from my dream job (had callback, thought it went well, fork my life). I have heard nothing from either of my summer splits, and nothing from any applications I've sent out.

I think this is where I enter the Vale.

I'm still pushing and mass mailing, but things are looking pretty bleak.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:46 am

Just want to warn people that sometimes emails requesting interviews can end up in your spam folder.

theswisswereright

New

Post by theswisswereright » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:57 pm

theswisswereright wrote: I have heard nothing from either of my summer splits, and nothing from any applications I've sent out.
HAHAHAHAHA one of my summer splits just told me they aren't hiring anyone, so fuckkkkkk me

EDIT: Accidental anon, I was quoting myself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
theswisswereright wrote: I have heard nothing from either of my summer splits, and nothing from any applications I've sent out.
HAHAHAHAHA one of my summer splits just told me they aren't hiring anyone, so fuckkkkkk me

Holy shit. They couldn't have told you that at the beginning of the summer?

theswisswereright

New

Post by theswisswereright » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Holy shit. They couldn't have told you that at the beginning of the summer?
Nope! And at my exit interview they went on about how I did more work than anyone else, I'd hear back soon, etc. Nah.

I'm also striking out at OCIs again, as it appears. I may actually die. Career services is SO SURE I'll be employed... MAYBE after I take the bar. I have cried so many times this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:12 pm

I interviewed with one whom I could tell had been looking for a while. They were courteous, intelligent, said all the right things, and were infinitely well prepared. I was impressed. I gave HR the go-ahead to make an offer a few hours after the interview.

They have been unable to contact this individual. Email bounces, and it seems phone calls are rejected because of an anti-spam app gone rogue.

TIP: After an interview, send thank you notes. When you get a business card, take that as an opportunity to later try to connect. (Minor Tip: I don't give out business cards to those whom I know I'm going to ding.) You never know what complications may arise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with one whom I could tell had been looking for a while. They were courteous, intelligent, said all the right things, and were infinitely well prepared. I was impressed. I gave HR the go-ahead to make an offer a few hours after the interview.

They have been unable to contact this individual. Email bounces, and it seems phone calls are rejected because of an anti-spam app gone rogue.

TIP: After an interview, send thank you notes. When you get a business card, take that as an opportunity to later try to connect. (Minor Tip: I don't give out business cards to those whom I know I'm going to ding.) You never know what complications may arise.
Oh my gosh sucks for her/him!!! I wonder why the email would bounce though.. how did they even schedule the interview in the first place? I hope she/he checks back with your office and gets the offer. I feel so bad for that person right now, but then again I'm sitting here with no offer..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Any 3L movements? CBs, offers, openings??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any 3L movements? CBs, offers, openings??
I got an offer from K&E NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with one whom I could tell had been looking for a while. They were courteous, intelligent, said all the right things, and were infinitely well prepared. I was impressed. I gave HR the go-ahead to make an offer a few hours after the interview.

Would the app block text messages too? Might be worth having HR send them a text via a personal cell phone to see if that gets around the app issue if you really want to get in touch with the person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Weil NY is looking for 3Ls to place into their Real Estate and Structured Finance groups

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:43 pm

Jones Day in Dallas is looking for 3Ls for its transactional group.

theswisswereright

New

Post by theswisswereright » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Jones Day in Dallas is looking for 3Ls for its transactional group.
Source? I don’t see a posting on their site.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFutureElleWoods

New

Post by TheFutureElleWoods » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What practice area of K&E did you get an offer from? (Litigation/Real Estate Restructuring etc.) and when did you apply?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:01 pm

theswisswereright wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Jones Day in Dallas is looking for 3Ls for its transactional group.
Career Services at my school sent an email to 3Ls.

theswisswereright

New

Post by theswisswereright » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
theswisswereright wrote:
Career Services at my school sent an email to 3Ls.
Gotcha. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Aw man. Congrats. I loved them. Enjoy your spiffy digs

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:00 am

help please.

graduated near bottom of class (2017) at state school (ranked in the 20s), never did OCI, have sent firms my resume but don't include transcript.

to be honest, was working as a public defender and didn't like the legal profession. left within 3 months.

don't have any real legal connections and have been living at home and working retail/driving uber for the past few months.

currently live in california. thinking about going back to school for computer programming or something. anyone help?

ImaginaryDay

New

Post by ImaginaryDay » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Legal Sector Adds Jobs in September After Two Months of Decline
By: Scott Flaherty

The uptick in legal services employment comes as the U.S. economy as a whole added jobs and unemployment dropped to its lowest level in decade.

https://www.law.com/thelegalintelligenc ... f-decline/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:17 pm

MASH_Law wrote:Legal Sector Adds Jobs in September After Two Months of Decline
By: Scott Flaherty

The uptick in legal services employment comes as the U.S. economy as a whole added jobs and unemployment dropped to its lowest level in decade.

https://www.law.com/thelegalintelligenc ... f-decline/
Really? I feel like 3L OCI has been the worst, especially for those who dont have a prior SA. Or am I the only one who is not having any luck?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:36 pm

same here. any 3L positions in CA? I am running out places to apply to

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Re: Mourning and Weeping in the Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:42 am

TTH wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:
nevdash wrote:Anyone else seriously weighed the pros and cons of shitlaw vs. suicide?
I think it's probably better to work retail than to work in shitlaw. Better pay, better hours, and more upward potential.
You're probably gonna have a hard time pulling down BIGRETAIL with all your credentials.

I guess it would all depend on the flavor of the shitlaw. Low-end insurance defense or doc review is always going to be a grind with no end in sight. At least with plaintiff's work, you'll always have the dream of landing the right client and cashing in.
Hahaha Ever feel like you’re under-qualified for big law, morally above shitlaw, and over-qualified for damn near everything else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:help please.

graduated near bottom of class (2017) at state school (ranked in the 20s), never did OCI, have sent firms my resume but don't include transcript.

to be honest, was working as a public defender and didn't like the legal profession. left within 3 months.

don't have any real legal connections and have been living at home and working retail/driving uber for the past few months.

currently live in california. thinking about going back to school for computer programming or something. anyone help?
Computer programming is good, because there are plenty of jobs out there for mediocre programmers and it pays to be mediocre. There are plenty of people graduating from comp sci programs with Bs and Cs working $70,000-$120,000 jobs. There are also various routes to fall back on if you don't like programming but have a background in it (a lot of people go into program management/product management or software sales).

However, the high end salaries you see, of mid-level software developers signing for $500,000+ are highly competitive. The pool of competition for software engineering jobs at those companies is much larger than in law - they recruit all around the world with lots of talent coming in from China, India, Europe. China for instance, has a huge STEM culture with many grads that go for these jobs. You'll be competing with people on immigration visas who unquestionably work 16 hour days to stay in the US.

If you're thinking of doing a coding bootcamp, typically people who excel in doing that have science or engineering backgrounds already. There are exceptions of people who didn't but they probably already had the natural aptitude (they could have majored in computer science or math in university if they wanted to). There are a lot of people out of those bootcamps that end up in $40,000 jobs, but you can work your way up to $70,000 pretty easily - in these types of roles you follow a similar career path as someone in Personal Injury or Insurance Defense (you hope to get lucky at a startup and make it big financially or you just climb a rough career ladder).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TTH wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:
nevdash wrote:Anyone else seriously weighed the pros and cons of shitlaw vs. suicide?
I think it's probably better to work retail than to work in shitlaw. Better pay, better hours, and more upward potential.
You're probably gonna have a hard time pulling down BIGRETAIL with all your credentials.

I guess it would all depend on the flavor of the shitlaw. Low-end insurance defense or doc review is always going to be a grind with no end in sight. At least with plaintiff's work, you'll always have the dream of landing the right client and cashing in.
Hahaha Ever feel like you’re under-qualified for big law, morally above shitlaw, and over-qualified for damn near everything else?
I don't get the TLS belief that shitlaw is morally better than biglaw. They're both morally questionable, the difference being in biglaw you don't actually have to see the clients or witness the damage you've caused.

I wouldn't say you get better hours with retail (you work weekends, holidays). Amazon is known for brutal hours, and you'll be a drone just like at a big law firm, but to a way larger extent (1 out of 570,000 employees as opposed to 1 out of 2000). At least in law there's some sense of professionalism and they have to find a semi-competent JD holder to replace you because there's some sort of liability. In retail, you could probably be replaced in a couple of hours. There are a ludicrous amount of resumes for entry and mid-level positions at places like Amazon.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hahaha Ever feel like you’re under-qualified for big law, morally above shitlaw, and over-qualified for damn near everything else?
I don't get the TLS belief that shitlaw is morally better than biglaw. They're both morally questionable, the difference being in biglaw you don't actually have to see the clients or witness the damage you've caused.
I don't think the above poster is arguing that small law is "morally better" than BigLaw. If anything, their "morally above shitlaw" claim suggests they view small law as morally worse.

FWIW I agree that most of BigLaw's probably better, morally speaking. It's generally large corporation v. large corporation (whether transactional or lit).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”