The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Might be the wrong thread; apologies if so.

2014 grad currently working at a local/state/federal agency. I'm ~6 months away from tenure (i.e., the point from which I can only be fired for cause). I recently got a new supervisor who isn't that thrilled about my work product. Less about my research or analysis than about my writing style.

Anyway, enough has been said about the subject that I think there's a high chance that I'll be let go before I get tenure. I'll keep trying to deliver what I think is being asked while I'm there, but it's probably about time to start thinking about my future and best options going forward.

Mostly, I'm wondering how much better my prospects would be if I started looking for another job while still employed. If I'm looking at the private sector, I could say with a straight face that I'm looking for more money (and make up some other bullshit like helping real clients). One problem with this though is the ethics involved with firms that might have litigation with my agency. I definitely imagine I'd have to recuse myself (and tell my supervisor) about any firms that I apply to and are on my current docket. For reasons I don't want to get into, this could potentially be a lot of firms in my practice area & location. Less certain about the rules regarding other firms with litigation with my agency on a colleague's docket. I guess I need to look into this.

I could also look at other local/state/federal agencies, though to an extent I'd run into similar ethical issues and having to recuse myself from cases. Plus there'd be less of a believable reason as to why I'm leaving in the first place.

Other than the fact that my supervisor has been pretty critical of my work (more so than of my colleagues), I really like where I'm at. So my first preference is to stay. But I want to be prepared in case that's not an option. I had a hard time finding a good job after graduation, and I don't want to return to that.

Anyway, to return to the big question, how much better are my prospects of getting picked up by a firm while I'm still employed at my agency as opposed to after getting canned?
Much better. I just went from a state agency to biglaw. I doubt I would have gotten a sniff at a screener if I was unemployed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:50 am

any guidance as to when we should start applying for jobs as a 3L? no SA gig, so I am a little lost as to how to approach 3L OCI or applying to jobs in general.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any guidance as to when we should start applying for jobs as a 3L? no SA gig, so I am a little lost as to how to approach 3L OCI or applying to jobs in general.
I am so anxious to start applying. I would love to know what the timeline would look like...if there is one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any guidance as to when we should start applying for jobs as a 3L? no SA gig, so I am a little lost as to how to approach 3L OCI or applying to jobs in general.
Just had this conversation today with my career advisor since I'm in a similar position.

My understanding is that: if you're not looking for a Big Law job - as most of them do their hiring through SA - you have to start networking with small to mid-size firms in your practice area. Use 3L year to build your relevant skills and coursework. Maybe get an externship doing work in your preferred practice area. Job hunt should last almost the full year in these kinds of circumstances as the small to mid-size firms don't have the resources to hire a year out in the Fall of 2018. They will most likely start hiring in the Spring of 2019, but you potentially may not have an offer until right before you sit for the bar in your state.

Or so my cousnelor said today. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[+] Spoiler
Would like clarification if this is accurate. I feel you, buddy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Just had this conversation today with my career advisor since I'm in a similar position.

My understanding is that: if you're not looking for a Big Law job - as most of them do their hiring through SA - you have to start networking with small to mid-size firms in your practice area. Use 3L year to build your relevant skills and coursework. Maybe get an externship doing work in your preferred practice area. Job hunt should last almost the full year in these kinds of circumstances as the small to mid-size firms don't have the resources to hire a year out in the Fall of 2018. They will most likely start hiring in the Spring of 2019, but you potentially may not have an offer until right before you sit for the bar in your state.

[+] Spoiler
You may not have an offer (in non-big law) until after your pass the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

[+] Spoiler
You may not have an offer (in non-big law) until after your pass the bar.
You’re correct! I forgot to include that in my previous response.

The tl;dr for original poster is: we’re in for the long grind. Not hopeless, but it’s the grind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:14 pm

seems like it. the options seem very limited. time to buckle up. :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:14 pm

Does the BYU Job Bank username/password not work anymore? Anyone know of a way to gain access?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I graduated in 2014 and have logged in to this forum every year since around this time. In 2014 it was because I was in the Vale (like really f-ing deep in the Vale), and every year thereafter to share how I got out and to give, hopefully, some semblance of hope.

I went to a T-10 and had median grades after 1L. I've always been a decent writer and was lucky enough to write on to the law review, but still struck out at OCI and ended up working at a truly awful mom and pop in-house gig my 2L summer. I worked my ass off my 2L and 3L year and ended up in the top 1/3 of my class--not great, but not terrible either. I applied for job after job my 3L year and got nothing. Crickets. Graduation was particularly tough because all my friends who had BigLaw jobs lined up were whooping it up like there was no tomorrow, and I was sheeeeting my pants about school loans and having to move home. I continued to apply for jobs while studying for the July bar (and even had a few interviews), but still nothing.

A few weeks after the bar, Career Services sent an email blast asking for resumes for a transactional position in NYC--but no details beyond that. I've always been a west coast kid, and wanted to do litigation, but thought "what the hell" and sent my resume. One or two days after sending out my resume an HR person from the firm called and asked if I'd be willing set out some time for a phone screener later that day. Turns out the firm was a V10 and were looking for a new M&A associate. The phone screen went well and they flew me out to NYC for a half-day of interviews. My final interviewer (the hiring partner) asked if I had any dinner plans, and I lied and said no. The partner invited me to dinner with two of the associates who'd interviewed me earlier, and near the end of the dinner the partner surreptitiously had our waiter bring a bottle of champagne. Once glasses were poured, the partner offered a quick toast "here's to you joining the firm!". I was floored, and almost wept right then and there.

After being insecure about my future for the last three years I'd finally made it out of the vale, and at a V10. Sure, it wasn't litigation like I wanted (which, in retrospect, thank god!) and not in my preferred market. The partners at the firm were great, and so were the associates--but after three years I knew that firm life was not for me. A few months ago after bonuses were handed out I started looking for in-house jobs. I start in the Bay Area office of a Seattle tech giant in a month.

The moral of the story is, at least what worked for me, be flexible. The worst thing you can do is to get too down, which isn't to say there won't be bouts of depression. I spent three or four days in bed after getting rejected post-interview from a firm I applied to while studying for the bar. There are a lot of genuinely helpful people on this board, listen to them. There is also a vocal minority of trolls here, block them out. They're just miserable people who don't have anything better to do than to spread that around everywhere they go. Don't lose sight of your worth, or your dreams. Keep applying, I'm certain if you keep trying everything will work out.
I just want to second this for anyone reading. Somewhat similar story and I remember wanting to see or hear more of these stories like this from T10 schools because people seemed to think this was uncommon (or also didn't want to really talk about it, myself included). I think there were a lot more people in that class who struggled right before the economy got a little better but benefited from a surprise uptick in law firm hiring 3L and around the bar and it is hard being one of the (usually) fewer students without a biglaw or maybe comparable position at graduation.

But my key takeaway is and advice would be so many things (including yourself) can and do change in 3-5 years. And yes be flexible--not everything has worked out perfectly honestly (from practice area preference, a firm fit) but I am definitely also grateful for my time in big law firms considering the effort it took me to get my first job. I am now also moving in house soon like the OP with a pretty good offer and company. I think struggling in this way, particularly with a T10 etc background made me develop a little more of the grit and perspective I would sometimes see in students from lower ranked schools who didn't assume things would generally be easy.

I also received an offer around June or July right before the bar. My priorities were definitely more aligned with biglaw mostly because I realized my loans put me in a precarious financial situation that I honestly was very uncomfortable with so I will always be glad that I did eventually get a biglaw job just for that. But I know many people who were able to find government or in house jobs that actually have turned out to be way more desirable after 1-3 years at a firm. Most people I know aren't even at their same firm (or the prestige level whatever) or have moved on to other areas like government/nonprofits or in house. Priorities and life do change. I also think the whole experience (while honestly depressing) helped me get a little better at practicing gratitude for whatever my options are in more aspects of my life even now and with other subsequent life "hiccups". And I think this can really help generally even though I'm not always very good at it. Like the OP I would say keep trying and while I might also add that things might not always actually work out how you want or expect, they do work out in a way if you keep your head up and value the things/options in front of you while also remembering your true worth and thinking about your own personal drivers, values and priorities. I think a lot can be gained by remembering how much you really do have going for you and things that you can be grateful for. I hope another story here helps someone reading and feeling alone or dejected in their situation in the way I felt comforted by others stories and "success" stories. I hope you find a "success" story of your own that you can look back and be grateful for too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I graduated in 2014 and have logged in to this forum every year since around this time. In 2014 it was because I was in the Vale (like really f-ing deep in the Vale), and every year thereafter to share how I got out and to give, hopefully, some semblance of hope.

I went to a T-10 and had median grades after 1L. I've always been a decent writer and was lucky enough to write on to the law review, but still struck out at OCI and ended up working at a truly awful mom and pop in-house gig my 2L summer. I worked my ass off my 2L and 3L year and ended up in the top 1/3 of my class--not great, but not terrible either. I applied for job after job my 3L year and got nothing. Crickets. Graduation was particularly tough because all my friends who had BigLaw jobs lined up were whooping it up like there was no tomorrow, and I was sheeeeting my pants about school loans and having to move home. I continued to apply for jobs while studying for the July bar (and even had a few interviews), but still nothing.

A few weeks after the bar, Career Services sent an email blast asking for resumes for a transactional position in NYC--but no details beyond that. I've always been a west coast kid, and wanted to do litigation, but thought "what the hell" and sent my resume. One or two days after sending out my resume an HR person from the firm called and asked if I'd be willing set out some time for a phone screener later that day. Turns out the firm was a V10 and were looking for a new M&A associate. The phone screen went well and they flew me out to NYC for a half-day of interviews. My final interviewer (the hiring partner) asked if I had any dinner plans, and I lied and said no. The partner invited me to dinner with two of the associates who'd interviewed me earlier, and near the end of the dinner the partner surreptitiously had our waiter bring a bottle of champagne. Once glasses were poured, the partner offered a quick toast "here's to you joining the firm!". I was floored, and almost wept right then and there.

After being insecure about my future for the last three years I'd finally made it out of the vale, and at a V10. Sure, it wasn't litigation like I wanted (which, in retrospect, thank god!) and not in my preferred market. The partners at the firm were great, and so were the associates--but after three years I knew that firm life was not for me. A few months ago after bonuses were handed out I started looking for in-house jobs. I start in the Bay Area office of a Seattle tech giant in a month.

The moral of the story is, at least what worked for me, be flexible. The worst thing you can do is to get too down, which isn't to say there won't be bouts of depression. I spent three or four days in bed after getting rejected post-interview from a firm I applied to while studying for the bar. There are a lot of genuinely helpful people on this board, listen to them. There is also a vocal minority of trolls here, block them out. They're just miserable people who don't have anything better to do than to spread that around everywhere they go. Don't lose sight of your worth, or your dreams. Keep applying, I'm certain if you keep trying everything will work out.
I just want to second this for anyone reading. Somewhat similar story and I remember wanting to see or hear more of these stories like this from T10 schools because people seemed to think this was uncommon (or also didn't want to really talk about it, myself included). I think there were a lot more people in that class who struggled right before the economy got a little better but benefited from a surprise uptick in law firm hiring 3L and around the bar and it is hard being one of the (usually) fewer students without a biglaw or maybe comparable position at graduation.

But my key takeaway is and advice would be so many things (including yourself) can and do change in 3-5 years. And yes be flexible--not everything has worked out perfectly honestly (from practice area preference, a firm fit) but I am definitely also grateful for my time in big law firms considering the effort it took me to get my first job. I am now also moving in house soon like the OP with a pretty good offer and company. I think struggling in this way, particularly with a T10 etc background made me develop a little more of the grit and perspective I would sometimes see in students from lower ranked schools who didn't assume things would generally be easy.

I also received an offer around June or July right before the bar. My priorities were definitely more aligned with biglaw mostly because I realized my loans put me in a precarious financial situation that I honestly was very uncomfortable with so I will always be glad that I did eventually get a biglaw job just for that. But I know many people who were able to find government or in house jobs that actually have turned out to be way more desirable after 1-3 years at a firm. Most people I know aren't even at their same firm (or the prestige level whatever) or have moved on to other areas like government/nonprofits or in house. Priorities and life do change. I also think the whole experience (while honestly depressing) helped me get a little better at practicing gratitude for whatever my options are in more aspects of my life even now and with other subsequent life "hiccups". And I think this can really help generally even though I'm not always very good at it. Like the OP I would say keep trying and while I might also add that things might not always actually work out how you want or expect, they do work out in a way if you keep your head up and value the things/options in front of you while also remembering your true worth and thinking about your own personal drivers, values and priorities. I think a lot can be gained by remembering how much you really do have going for you and things that you can be grateful for. I hope another story here helps someone reading and feeling alone or dejected in their situation in the way I felt comforted by others stories and "success" stories. I hope you find a "success" story of your own that you can look back and be grateful for too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Does anyone know the current hiring timeline for Los Angeles district attorney offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:06 am

The Social Security Administration just posted an ad looking for attorneys at the GS11 level. It's a 4-year NTE position, and they're taking only 100 applications for 34 spots, so that's pretty good odds. Probably not what you went to law school for, but worth applying... it's certainly PSLF-eligible! https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/504119100

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:47 am

Hey is there an updated username/password for the BYU job bank? Current one isn't working.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi all- not going to go into the "everything is shit" speech that I want to but get straight down to the facts:

I graduated bottom at a T2 regional school on the west coast in 2017. I had a bad 1L but all As/B+s for 2L/3L. I was on academic probation after 1L, got off after fall 2L- no actual excuse for my grades besides missing home- I'm American but all my fam lives in Europe. Decided I needed to move east, took the NY bar and have no connections there- met with a few people for coffee, but all big law associates who obviously can't help me. I'm now admitted to the NY bar (took it twice), at home in Europe, have applied to 150+ jobs at mid to small firms in the last 3 months and have cold emailed around 30 firms (in the last 2 weeks as I've gotten more desperate). I'm applying all along the east coast to UBE bigger cities btw, not restricted to NYC at all. I'm currently working for my fam's firm (literally just my fam, no other ees) but it's not v legal, I do a lot of research & writing reports though, + reviewing Ks.

I've gone through a lot of this thread and just want some advice on if I'm literally wasting my time. So questions if anyone would be kind enough to throw an opinion my way:

1. I'm not even sending my transcripts with my apps/emails- so once I show that, there is no way in hell a firm will look twice at me. I really threw myself into cushioning up my resume w bs like excessive club e-boards at school and I was able to get an article published in my journal- but clearly that means nothing. Will all firms ask for transcript or is bar admission enough now? If they do, is it worth trying to explain or will I sound like a child?

2. My materials (cover letter, CV, writing sample, refs) have been reviewed by my CDO (who dumped me as soon as the ABA disclosures were done) and lawyer friends and everyone has made small changes but said they're great. Is going to a regional school really the end of the world? The firms I'm applying to are mostly filled with locals- like in NYC I'm aiming for firms that aren't filled NYU/Columbia....is there something I can do to show a huge interest in that market? I'm using an NY address + phone number but obviously my law school and undergrad are from 2 random states (non-UBE so can't bother applying there) soo? How on earth can I convince firms I'm genuinely interested in their market and building a career/life with them/their city?

3. Besides Martindale and Vault is there a substantive list of midlaw firms ANYWHERE? I feel like I've exhausted them but I know that can't be possible. I know 30 firms/150 jobs doesn't sound like a lot but I'm genuinely not finding more rn that aren't filled with T20 alumni OR do patent or personal injury (I know beggars can't be choosers but I'm still trying to aim for things I'd be marginally interested in- well aware this might have to change soon).

Thank you in advance for any responses. Wishing everyone here luck on their search.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omar1

Bronze

Post by omar1 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:32 pm

^ You need to apply to any legal job/volunteer opportunity you lay your eyes on, if you want to practice law. You are over a year out of law school and have ZERO legal experience in that period.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:44 pm

I agree with Omar1. You wouldn't get hired at a personal injury or patent firm right now, because you have 0 experience in either, so you definitely can't be "choosy." Especially at in a city as competitive as NYC that so many people want to move to, you should be applying to any openings. It's either that or still unemployed, and you don't want to stay unemployed because then people hiring will be wondering what you've been doing for over a year when other people are working.

Firms/industries that might not or don't tend to ask for transcripts: Criminal (prosecutor, P.D.'s office, private sphere), personal injury, family law, estate law planning, insurance defense, bankruptcy (creditor right's collections, foreclosure), document review.

Also, things you can do:
1. Use an NY phone number and NY address

2. If they ask for a transcript just send it and don't explain it. You want to avoid firms that ask for grades due to your own grades (so these firms should be a low priority), but HR people and Recruiters make tons of mistakes with paperwork, so you don't want to draw their attention to this. I've had HR people miss more important things with my own paperwork, and my friend's have had critical mistakes made on there's. Often times, the HR person that reviews paperwork (the screener/source) is a temp making sub-$20 an hour, they're not trying hard.

3. You just need a job so you can get back in the city. If you're K-JD, you're honestly worth very little on the non-legal job market. So, you might want to try a staffing or temp agency to place you, because you'll have a hard time finding any office job as a K-JD. Once you're in the city working, you'll feel more part of the NYC fabric and a local, it'll probably help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Curious if anyone’s done any callbacks yet? Or if anyone has gone through the 3L interviewing process and have an idea of timelines. I did a callback last Wednesday but at the end the recruiting director basically said they don’t know how long the decision process will take since they haven’t even extended offers to their current summers yet. I think this firm is traditionally known for quick turnarounds, but that's for 2L hires which are bound to be different.
They basically asked if I knew what group I would be interested in since one of their groups is really busy now but I didn't want to commit to anything so I just said I was generally interested in corporate. Starting to doubt that decision since I'd be happy doing anything biglaw really :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:14 pm

As a 3L applying to associate positions,should I only apply to positions that say hiring 3L (if they exist) or to any and all associate positions?

theswisswereright

New

Post by theswisswereright » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:22 pm

I know I’ve asked this elsewhere, but seriously, does anyone have the current BYU job bank login? My school’s career services is useless.

beckgirl123

New

Post by beckgirl123 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:31 pm

theswisswereright wrote:I know I’ve asked this elsewhere, but seriously, does anyone have the current BYU job bank login? My school’s career services is useless.
BUMP can someone update that please?

tlsadmin3

Post by tlsadmin3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:16 pm

beckgirl123 wrote:
theswisswereright wrote:I know I’ve asked this elsewhere, but seriously, does anyone have the current BYU job bank login? My school’s career services is useless.

BYU Jobs:
Username: jrcbcougar
Password: cougarstrong

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beckgirl123

New

Post by beckgirl123 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:43 pm

tlsadmin3 wrote:
beckgirl123 wrote:

BYU Jobs:
Maybe its just my browsers but that doesn't work either :? :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:43 pm

tlsadmin3 wrote:
beckgirl123 wrote:

BYU Jobs:
I just tried this, and it doesn’t seem to work. Maybe they’ve changed it since.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Curious if anyone’s done any callbacks yet? Or if anyone has gone through the 3L interviewing process and have an idea of timelines. I did a callback last Wednesday but at the end the recruiting director basically said they don’t know how long the decision process will take since they haven’t even extended offers to their current summers yet. I think this firm is traditionally known for quick turnarounds, but that's for 2L hires which are bound to be different.
They basically asked if I knew what group I would be interested in since one of their groups is really busy now but I didn't want to commit to anything so I just said I was generally interested in corporate. Starting to doubt that decision since I'd be happy doing anything biglaw really :roll:
Can depend on a lot of factors. What geographic region is the firm in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Curious if anyone’s done any callbacks yet? Or if anyone has gone through the 3L interviewing process and have an idea of timelines. I did a callback last Wednesday but at the end the recruiting director basically said they don’t know how long the decision process will take since they haven’t even extended offers to their current summers yet. I think this firm is traditionally known for quick turnarounds, but that's for 2L hires which are bound to be different.
Can depend on a lot of factors. What geographic region is the firm in?
New York

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”