The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Vale of Tears (3L Job Hunting) (No advice for 0/1/2Ls)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm checking in here as well. Rising 3L, decent grades at HYS, struck out at OCI and mass mail because I'm an autist, working at a boutique/midlaw this summer in a specialty I like, but they have said they won't be making offers to anyone. Going to mass mail again this summer, but since I didn't have much luck with interviews before, and 3L hiring is so much worse, I'm expecting nothing.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm checking in here as well. Rising 3L, decent grades at HYS, struck out at OCI and mass mail because I'm an autist, working at a boutique/midlaw this summer in a specialty I like, but they have said they won't be making offers to anyone. Going to mass mail again this summer, but since I didn't have much luck with interviews before, and 3L hiring is so much worse, I'm expecting nothing.
Out of curiosity, is it that you don't get interviews at all, or you don't get an offer after interviews?

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:13 pm

What's the situation with OCIs for 3Ls? Still no legal work experience but ~25% at T20

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:53 pm

3L OCI is a sad joke. What do you mean still no legal work experience? Not even this summer?
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgepwnd

New

Post by Rodgepwnd » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm checking in here as well. Rising 3L, decent grades at HYS, struck out at OCI and mass mail because I'm an autist, working at a boutique/midlaw this summer in a specialty I like, but they have said they won't be making offers to anyone. Going to mass mail again this summer, but since I didn't have much luck with interviews before, and 3L hiring is so much worse, I'm expecting nothing.
Hey I'm heading to H this fall so I'm wondering how you ended up striking out. I'm a pretty quiet/anti-social guy in general so I feel like I need to know this stuff. Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:21 pm

Rodgepwnd wrote:
Hey I'm heading to H this fall so I'm wondering how you ended up striking out. I'm a pretty quiet/anti-social guy in general so I feel like I need to know this stuff. Thanks

Get out.

[Not to mention the thread title actually says it.]
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:39 pm

BVest wrote:
Rodgepwnd wrote:

Get out.

[Not to mention the thread title actually says it.]
It amazes me that the occasional 0/1L/2L comes into this topic asking for advice. IT ****ING SAYS IT IN THE THREAD TITLE!

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:05 am

BVest wrote:3L OCI is a sad joke. What do you mean still no legal work experience? Not even this summer?
Correct. Not even this summer.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:41 am

browniestasty wrote:
BVest wrote:3L OCI is a sad joke. What do you mean still no legal work experience? Not even this summer?
I'm sorry to say, but no legal experience as a 1L or 2L is a gaint red flag, bordering on the kiss of death. Network, volunteer and pray. Apply everywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:03 am

Sprout wrote:you guys I think I got a job today. :shock: Reluctant to say so until I get a for sure offer situation or rather walk into the office but...

holy shit

have faith all <3
Congrats!!
browniestasty wrote:
Why?

In any event, I'd try to pick up an internship this summer, and a clinic or externship for the fall.

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:05 am

It's not a total zero. I did intern at a small law firm for first year. Problem is after striking out at OCI I haven't found anything else for this summer.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:23 am

browniestasty wrote:It's not a total zero. I did intern at a small law firm for first year. Problem is after striking out at OCI I haven't found anything else for this summer.

You can still find something unpaid and no one would be able to tell that you just got it. But apply to everything now!

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:48 pm

Yeah, I am working on that now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:15 pm

Not to be rude, but it is really, really easy to find unpaid summer legal work for someone who is top 25% at a T20. It might not be "prestigious", or in a field you are interested in, but it's out there. And not to pile-on, but the fact you haven't found anything makes me wonder how much effort you put into it (and it will surely make employers wonder the same thing).

Apply like your legal career depends on it, because it probably does.

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:25 pm

I would treat applying to summer positions like a full-time job. I'd check Idealist, PSJD, Symplicity, etc. every day, if not multiple times a day. Also, have you been in touch with your school's career services office? They should be helping you. And does your school have any institutes or programs that hire summer interns?

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:20 pm

I'm working on those. Quite honestly my effort was lacking but I had a good reason for it. (I was trying to stay out of jail.)

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:37 pm

browniestasty wrote:I'm working on those. Quite honestly my effort was lacking but I had a good reason for it. (I was trying to stay out of jail.)
Please, go on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:05 am

Let's just say I had to clean up someone else's mess and it was severe enough with high enough probability I'd get dragged into it that I had to fly across the country and miss most of my classes for almost a month right before finals.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:33 am

browniestasty wrote:Let's just say I had to clean up someone else's mess and it was severe enough with high enough probability I'd get dragged into it that I had to fly across the country and miss most of my classes for almost a month right before finals.
...?
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:54 am

browniestasty wrote:Let's just say I had to clean up someone else's mess and it was severe enough with high enough probability I'd get dragged into it that I had to fly across the country and miss most of my classes for almost a month right before finals.
Please, go on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I've been struggling with the job hunt and thinking about trying to find a career coach or outside advisor. Any good success stories or recs?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Mickfromgm wrote:
Out of curiosity, is it that you don't get interviews at all, or you don't get an offer after interviews?
Got 30-40 interviews between OCI and mass mail, total of 5 callbacks, no offers.

Edit: The vast majority of those were from the OCI lottery. I did 4 interviews in response to mass-mail.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mickfromgm wrote:
Got 30-40 interviews between OCI and mass mail, total of 5 callbacks, no offers.

Edit: The vast majority of those were from the OCI lottery. I did 4 interviews in response to mass-mail.
Based on your numbers, I would say your paper cred is very solid and good enough for most firms out there, but you are probably in need of honing your interviewing skills. Per NALP, 53% of all callback interviews result in an offer, so 0 for 5 on callbacks seems indicative of a significant issue with your interviews.

You have gotten plenty of interview experience; so it's not a matter of getting more reps in, getting over nervousness, knowing which questions to expect, etc. -- my recommendation is to seek out as many mock interviews from attorneys (who interview for their firms on a regular basis) as possible; more than anything, you seem to need meaningful and honest feedback. I've been there, man. Hang in there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:32 pm

3L here. Through family friends I have arranged a lunch with the managing partner at a big firm in the city I want to work in. He told the family friends he was "willing to help out." My question is what should I be aiming to get out of this meeting? What goal should I have in mind going into the meeting? To simply establish a contact and make a good impression? To see if he'll push my resume places? I have networked quite a bit but it's mostly been 15 minute phone calls with alums about their practice/old professors/whatever. I guess I'm just looking for some general advice as to how I can make the most of this networking opportunity. Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:08 pm

For those of you who just graduated studying for the bar, how is job search looking for you so far? Are y'all massmailing firms or just focusing on studying?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”