Women's suits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ozymandias

Bronze

Re: Women's suits

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:15 pm

MissMock wrote:
sheD wrote: 2. Is it necessary to wear the jacket buttoned? What about seated vs. standing?
I don't think anybody's addressed this yet. I have always been told that the jacket should be buttoned while standing and unbuttoned while sitting.
I have only ever heard that rule regarding men's suits. I leave my jacket buttoned.

sheD

New

Post by sheD » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
MissMock wrote:
sheD wrote: 2. Is it necessary to wear the jacket buttoned? What about seated vs. standing?
I don't think anybody's addressed this yet. I have always been told that the jacket should be buttoned while standing and unbuttoned while sitting.
I have only ever heard that rule regarding men's suits. I leave my jacket buttoned.
Same here, heard that rule for men, but wasn't sure if there was a corresponding rule for women.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:59 pm

This isn't about suits, but I'd like to get some lady-opinions on it and don't feel like making a thread. I have longer, platinum-blondish hair that, while not Lady Gaga platinum, is not natural (though men often think it is). Should I dye it darker for OCI or just tie it up in a bun? Pic for color reference--I am not Jenny McCarthy. :D

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This isn't about suits, but I'd like to get some lady-opinions on it and don't feel like making a thread. I have longer, platinum-blondish hair that, while not Lady Gaga platinum, is not natural (though men often think it is). Should I dye it darker for OCI or just tie it up in a bun? Pic for color reference--I am not Jenny McCarthy. :D

That's fairly close to my natural color. I have low lights in now so its darker. I'd pull it up, but that's me. Mostly because I don't want to worry about "shedding" all over my dark colored suit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 am

i'm 5'7". should i wear lower or higher heels. i personally prefer higher, but i dont want to seem to intimidating...

im overly generalizing, but what do men prefer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i'm 5'7". should i wear lower or higher heels. i personally prefer higher, but i dont want to seem to intimidating...

im overly generalizing, but what do men prefer?
I'm not convinced "what do men prefer" is an appropriate question to be asking. I am not going to spend my entire life guessing at what men prefer, and I will look down on any female who does. Don't wear 4-inch heels at 5'7. You don't want to look like a giant or a skank. I think 3-inches would be fine, but be safe and just wear a low heel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Any suggestions for where to buy suiting in charcoal/navy?

Theory fits me ALL WRONG and they don't carry petite sizes. I'm not a petite usually, but apparently I am in suits.

I look TERRIBLE in black (or so my close friends, mom, and boyfriend think), and Ann Taylor doesn't have any non-black non-light color petite suits out now. (I have a brown one from Ann Taylor that I like, and I plan on wearing it to OCI, even though it's brown (GASP!)- but I need one more.)

Didn't find much that fit at J.Crew and Banana, either.
I'm thinking Macy's?
Other suggestions?

Also, I didn't get my Ann Taylor suit tailored. I ASSUME that's cause it fits me really well. This is possible, right? For a suit to fit well without tailoring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Any suggestions for where to buy suiting in charcoal/navy?

Theory fits me ALL WRONG and they don't carry petite sizes. I'm not a petite usually, but apparently I am in suits.

I look TERRIBLE in black (or so my close friends, mom, and boyfriend think), and Ann Taylor doesn't have any non-black non-light color petite suits out now. (I have a brown one from Ann Taylor that I like, and I plan on wearing it to OCI, even though it's brown (GASP!)- but I need one more.)

Didn't find much that fit at J.Crew and Banana, either.
I'm thinking Macy's?
Other suggestions?

Also, I didn't get my Ann Taylor suit tailored. I ASSUME that's cause it fits me really well. This is possible, right? For a suit to fit well without tailoring?

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:33 am

Please, do not wear brown to an interview. After spending a small fortune on tuition, I can't believe you would shoot yourself in the foot that way. Part of the interview process is to determine whether or not you can belong to their club. They don't wear brown in the club---not for initial interviews.

Honestly, I've never met anyone who couldn't wear black if they had an appropriate flattering color for a shirt/blouse underneath, but that is beside the point. I understand that Theory can fit quite strangely, but I'm guessing either J. Crew or Banana Republic could work with proper alterations. Other possibilities are Classique Entier at Nordstrom, Brooks Brothers, and Hugo Boss. The latter is pricey, I know, but an investment in your future, frankly. Given the possible return on investment, invest in a good suit for interviews and have it professionally altered as needed. Don't wear something in an inappropriate color just because it fits well off the rack.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:44 am

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Please, do not wear brown to an interview. After spending a small fortune on tuition, I can't believe you would shoot yourself in the foot that way. Part of the interview process is to determine whether or not you can belong to their club. They don't wear brown in the club---not for initial interviews.

Honestly, I've never met anyone who couldn't wear black if they had an appropriate flattering color for a shirt/blouse underneath, but that is beside the point. I understand that Theory can fit quite strangely, but I'm guessing either J. Crew or Banana Republic could work with proper alterations. Other possibilities are Classique Entier at Nordstrom, Brooks Brothers, and Hugo Boss. The latter is pricey, I know, but an investment in your future, frankly. Given the possible return on investment, invest in a good suit for interviews and have it professionally altered as needed. Don't wear something in an inappropriate color just because it fits well off the rack.

do you have any suggestions for where/what shell to buy and what color looks best. Is it best to stick to strictly white/cream or is a light blue better?

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:53 am

For a shell or a shirt, I would think the same stores would be good places to start. As for color, it doesn't absolutely have to be white, cream or light blue. I would think a French blue would be OK. Maybe even gray. While I might not wear pink, if it really enhances your complexion in, say, a black suit, a pale pink might be fine. I just wouldn't do anything shiny or too colorful, e.g., jewel tones, fuchsia, hot pink, etc. Honestly, as long as your suit is conservative, you can have a bit more leeway with the top. Again, I'm talking about an initial interview. Of course, when you've been working somewhere for awhile and earned your stripes, you can certainly branch out and be a bit more fashion forward. In an initial interview, however, there is simply no upside.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 am

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Please, do not wear brown to an interview. After spending a small fortune on tuition, I can't believe you would shoot yourself in the foot that way. Part of the interview process is to determine whether or not you can belong to their club. They don't wear brown in the club---not for initial interviews.

Does anyone know of anyone that carries petite suits?

You can't tailor the bottom of the jacket so that it's shorter, as far as I can tell, so I really need petite...

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know of anyone that carries petite suits?

You can't tailor the bottom of the jacket so that it's shorter, as far as I can tell, so I really need petite...
Ann Taylor and Banana Republic for sure, and I know department stores have whole petite sections so perhaps try those. I got a Calvin Klein suit that I love at Macy's and I'm pretty sure they do petites as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know of anyone that carries petite suits?

Ann Taylor has petite suits that fit very well off-the-rack. You also buy suits as separates, so if you need a bigger/smaller size in the jacket/skirt it's super easy.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:32 am

This is timely, I am heading out to the mall to look for suits this weekend. It's been tough to find nice, interview-appropriate skirt suits, and I'm not even an unusual size.

If I can shift the topic a little bit, what are those of you with longer hair (in my case, a few inches below the shoulder) planning to do with your hair? I normally wear mine down or pulled back in a basic low ponytail, but I'm wondering if I should try out a bun for OCI. I will be getting mine cut the week before, so if I do wear it down there won't be scraggly ends.

This is for a large-ish market in the northeast, if that changes anyone's opinion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 am

HWS08 wrote:This is timely, I am heading out to the mall to look for suits this weekend. It's been tough to find nice, interview-appropriate skirt suits, and I'm not even an unusual size.

If I can shift the topic a little bit, what are those of you with longer hair (in my case, a few inches below the shoulder) planning to do with your hair? I normally wear mine down or pulled back in a basic low ponytail, but I'm wondering if I should try out a bun for OCI. I will be getting mine cut the week before, so if I do wear it down there won't be scraggly ends.

This is for a large-ish market in the northeast, if that changes anyone's opinion.

I was planning on wearing it down and straight. Is pulled back substantially more professional even though it is substantially less attractive?

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 am

I think down is just dangerous if you tend to fidget with your hair. I like it out of my face, so I do half-up, half-down because I think it looks pretty but still is pulled out of my face and professional.

As long as it's not distracting to you or the interviewer, up v. down isn't going to matter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:44 am

to keep it going with the hair questions:

how long is too long? my hair is a few inches below my chest/a few inches above my elbow. too long?

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Please, someone, tell me where I can find a suit that fits properly - I am tall and busty. I don't want to buy jackets two sizes too big and have them tailored - they never end up looking right.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm

I'm interviewing for an associate job at a litigation boutique, and there will be a post-interview dinner. The actual interviews will be in the morning. Should I wear the same suit, or something more casual?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:42 pm

On the topic of interview hairstyles, I've always thought a sleek french twist is always appropriate. Feel free to disagree, but I think it's classy and professional (not in your face, not tempting to mess with).

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ew_dLZdcQhA/T ... ssicup.JPG

no?

Edit: I assume you all have already checked out Corporette, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 am

I'm still debating between a black suit and a charcoal/gray one. My hair is really dark (not black, but just about as close as you can get -- think Jaime Murray-esque) and I am ridiculously pale -- I'm worried that if I wear a black suit I'll look too much like a vampire/emo person. But if black really is best, I'm sure I could find a way to make it work.

Also, what are opinions on makeup? How dolled up do they expect you to be? I wear makeup daily (and I worked as a makeup artist for a little while, so I'm no stranger to technique and products and whatnot) but I tend to go by "less is more" and my daily routine is basically eyebrows, mascara, lips. Too basic?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 am

why are so many people asking fashion questions anonymously?

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:52 am

How bad would it be if I got a suit jacket that has a collar like this:
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Stella-Mc ... at19670732

:(

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm still debating between a black suit and a charcoal/gray one. My hair is really dark (not black, but just about as close as you can get -- think Jaime Murray-esque) and I am ridiculously pale -- I'm worried that if I wear a black suit I'll look too much like a vampire/emo person. But if black really is best, I'm sure I could find a way to make it work.

Also, what are opinions on makeup? How dolled up do they expect you to be? I wear makeup daily (and I worked as a makeup artist for a little while, so I'm no stranger to technique and products and whatnot) but I tend to go by "less is more" and my daily routine is basically eyebrows, mascara, lips. Too basic?
No one cares whether you wear charcoal v. black. As long as you are dressed conservatively and professionally, it will be fine.

And http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &p=4618453

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”