St. Louis Biglaw Summer Associate Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: St. Louis Biglaw Summer Associate Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, but which are your dream firms? For the grades: I think you'd probably want to be in the top 10ish percent to get a look.
Man, that's as strong an indictment of Wash U. as I've ever read on this site, and I've read plenty. Top 10ish % to even get a look in your home market assuming decent ties? I guess the old joke about having to show them the mortgage papers and be married to the mayor's niece is true.

And I guess, based on what I know, that my dream firms would be Thompson Coburn, Husch, or maybe Polsinelli (but they're tiny in STL). Heard anything specific about them?

And why no Bryan Cave on that list? If you want top St. Louis, you've got to start there!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Would you say the bar is set lower for WashU students with significant ties to STL (born/raised/ all family still there) that want biglaw? I have always heard top 1/3rd will get your foot in the door for an interview in most cases, is this wrong?

wjs98

New

Post by wjs98 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Any idea about what kind of grades you need from a T14 with ties?
What about NU/UChi without ties, other than "going to school in the midwest" (assume an ability to convey a professional reason for being in STL)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, but which are your dream firms? For the grades: I think you'd probably want to be in the top 10ish percent to get a look.
Man, that's as strong an indictment of Wash U. as I've ever read on this site, and I've read plenty. Top 10ish % to even get a look in your home market assuming decent ties? I guess the old joke about having to show them the mortgage papers and be married to the mayor's niece is true.

And I guess, based on what I know, that my dream firms would be Thompson Coburn, Husch, or maybe Polsinelli (but they're tiny in STL). Heard anything specific about them?

And why no Bryan Cave on that list? If you want top St. Louis, you've got to start there!
Yeah, that was an oversight. I bid them very highly. And obviously their large class played a role. I've heard that their hours/lifestyle are a little closer to what you'd expect from a big Chicago/NYC shop, but I'm certainly not going to complain if they deign to give me an interview.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:20 pm

juicyj wrote:@OP. Comments on Mizzou and Biglaw?
While Mizzou doesn't place terrible well into Big Law and a Big Law job will be incredibly competitive; Notwithstanding such considerations, I recall that when I was a 1L summer back in 2009, we had 6 1L summers and 3 were from Mizzou. However, all were in the top 10% and on law review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the transfer market like for associates at V10's with ties?
With such a small sample size, it's tough to say, but I have a few friends who have made such transfers in recent years (i.e, Kirkland, Sidley, Jenner --> big law in St. Louis).

Reprisal

Bronze

Post by Reprisal » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would you say the bar is set lower for WashU students with significant ties to STL (born/raised/ all family still there) that want biglaw? I have always heard top 1/3rd will get your foot in the door for an interview in most cases, is this wrong?
I think this is true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:36 pm

When can a 2L SA at a big Stl firm expect to hear about offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:When can a 2L SA at a big Stl firm expect to hear about offers?
Word on the street at my firm is that we'll find out the first week of August (so a few days after the summer program ends).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When can a 2L SA at a big Stl firm expect to hear about offers?
The firm that I worked at 1L summer gave offers 1-2 weeks after the summer program ended.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:47 am

So, reading above, there are about 20-30 2L slots at big law and 10-15 at the sophisticated 2nd tier business firms of which at least half are local schools, so getting in from a school outside of the state has to be a long shot and next to impossible for the 2nd tiers.

Makes you wonder where all the 500+ other students at the local schools end up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:09 am

Does anyone have any idea how much the yearly salary would be at some of those sophisticated mid-level firms? (i.e. Danna McKittrick, Stolar, Rosenblum, Carmody MacDonald)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:11 am

Know anything about Spencer Fane in St. Louis? Will be interviewing with them. Work life, culture, needs, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:04 am

Mid levels should be in the range of $ 70s to $ 90s.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:17 am

Spencer Fane has a smaller office in St. Louis, about 20-25 attorneys, some of whom recently joined from the dissolved Gallop Johnson firm. Others came from the old Green Hoffman firm. Likely a hodge podge culture based upon that I would guess. Not too high profile and certainly less so than many of those mid levels mentioned above though the pay may be higher if it tracks their other offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:07 am

The working environment is somewhat different at the mid levels. Carmody McDonald is pretty similar to biglaw in terms of hour requirements but is still highly sought after by students. Jenkins Kling, Rosenblum Goldenhursh, Summers Compton and Dana McKitrick are a little more relaxed and collegial. They each have a few summers each year and some hire during the school year for part time work. They seem to be able to attract top talent I guess for the trade off of a lower salary than biglaw versus lifestyle requirements, and don't seem to lose people often from what I hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Anybody have an idea on the size of the summer class at Lewis Rice? I notice that they aren't on NALP for whatever reason.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have an idea on the size of the summer class at Lewis Rice? I notice that they aren't on NALP for whatever reason.
They're on NALP. Looks like they have 5 2Ls and 5 1Ls this summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 pm

beachbum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have an idea on the size of the summer class at Lewis Rice? I notice that they aren't on NALP for whatever reason.
That's what I was afraid of. I got a screener with them but if they just offer all of their (soon to be) 2Ls and 5 more 1Ls then what's the point.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
beachbum wrote:
That's what I was afraid of. I got a screener with them but if they just offer all of their (soon to be) 2Ls and 5 more 1Ls then what's the point.
If history repeats itself, 2-3 of the 1Ls will likely take offers with other firms. This is what happened when I clerked in 2010. I believe that 2011 was similar. As such, Lewis Rice likely will be looking to add 2-3 2Ls this coming fall.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The working environment is somewhat different at the mid levels. Carmody McDonald is pretty similar to biglaw in terms of hour requirements but is still highly sought after by students. Jenkins Kling, Rosenblum Goldenhursh, Summers Compton and Dana McKitrick are a little more relaxed and collegial. They each have a few summers each year and some hire during the school year for part time work. They seem to be able to attract top talent I guess for the trade off of a lower salary than biglaw versus lifestyle requirements, and don't seem to lose people often from what I hear.
What's the expectation in terms of hours and availability at these firms (MO biglaw and midlaw firms)? Are people at these firms generally leaving the office by 6:00 or 7:00 PM? What about the frequency of weekends in the office?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Just curious, but when did you apply? I applied a week or so ago and haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:19 pm

beachbum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Just curious, but when did you apply? I applied a week or so ago and haven't heard anything.
Early in July.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The working environment is somewhat different at the mid levels. Carmody McDonald is pretty similar to biglaw in terms of hour requirements but is still highly sought after by students. Jenkins Kling, Rosenblum Goldenhursh, Summers Compton and Dana McKitrick are a little more relaxed and collegial. They each have a few summers each year and some hire during the school year for part time work. They seem to be able to attract top talent I guess for the trade off of a lower salary than biglaw versus lifestyle requirements, and don't seem to lose people often from what I hear.
What's the expectation in terms of hours and availability at these firms (MO biglaw and midlaw firms)? Are people at these firms generally leaving the office by 6:00 or 7:00 PM? What about the frequency of weekends in the office?
At my mid, most associates come in around 8-8:30 and leave 5:30-6:00. 1750 annual billed hours required. No weekends unless project demands it or a partner asks, which I understand happens a couple times a year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks for this. Are you in corporate, lit or something else?

Any others care to chime in with customary hours and expectations at their firms in StL as well?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”