St. Louis Biglaw Summer Associate Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: St. Louis Biglaw Summer Associate Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:45 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Sorry meant to post that anon - would you mind removing my quote?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:32 pm

St. Louis also has some very good boutiques. As someone who has had some experience with biglaw, I think it'd be foolish for any top litigation-minded student not to seriously consider somewhere smaller.

I'd strongly recommend Dowd Bennett for defense-side work and Korein Tillery for plaintiffs-side / public interest-y work. Both will generally take a summer associate here or there, so it's worth reaching out if you're interested (both also hire post-clerkship). I think the general profile necessary to be competitive for either place is around top 5-10% WashU or top 10-25% at a T14, depending on connections. I think a good rule of thumb for either place is that if you're competitive for a federal clerkship out of your school, you're probably competitive for a position (so, for example, I think the top couple students at SLU, and some others--such as President of the Law Review--are also likely competitive). Fit is obviously going to be key for any smaller shop.
I would 110% second the Dowd Bennett recommendation. I personally know a partner there, and it is really a top notch firm for defense, including white-collar criminal defense and False Claims. The CVs, including the schools represented, of the lawyers at the firm read like a high level big market litigation boutique. Excellent firm.

mizzoulaw2017

New

Post by mizzoulaw2017 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Does anyone know how much a summer associate at Brown and James gets paid?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:55 pm

mizzoulaw2017 wrote:Does anyone know how much a summer associate at Brown and James gets paid?
I don't know about their SA program, but I met a second or third year there making $60k. If it's prorated it's probably $1000-$1200 a week. I know some ID places don't pay prorated, so it could be hourly or a lower monthly salary too. Hopefully someone more helpful comes along.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mizzoulaw2017 wrote:Does anyone know how much a summer associate at Brown and James gets paid?
I don't know about their SA program, but I met a second or third year there making $60k. If it's prorated it's probably $1000-$1200 a week. I know some ID places don't pay prorated, so it could be hourly or a lower monthly salary too. Hopefully someone more helpful comes along.
Not only is the above accurate, but the associates work as much as the Bryan Caves in town.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Anybody have any idea what the partner comp for stl biglaw is? How are salary increases?

Bumping old thread cause niche question

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:42 pm

I was on Bryan Cave's NALP page and saw they recently raised salaries to $135,000 effective 2017. Was this announced recently? Are there any firms comparable in the market? I think the next highest is $125,000 correct?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was on Bryan Cave's NALP page and saw they recently raised salaries to $135,000 effective 2017. Was this announced recently? Are there any firms comparable in the market? I think the next highest is $125,000 correct?
Announced like 2 weeks ago in office. Correct that other firms start at 125 in STL. Wish it was effective sooner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:42 pm

What BC 135? and STL at 125? KC SA here firmly at 120.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:What BC 135? and STL at 125? KC SA here firmly at 120.

Yeah, BC has historically paid more in STL than KC and the STL Market has generally been higher than the KC market. BC and Polsinelli both started paying 125 starting in KC last year. BC just raised KC office to 130 effective January 1, 2017.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, BC has historically paid more in STL than KC and the STL Market has generally been higher than the KC market. BC and Polsinelli both started paying 125 starting in KC last year. BC just raised KC office to 130 effective January 1, 2017.
Yep, and Polsinelli just announced a raise to $135k in STL and KC (and raises in other offices, too).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep, and Polsinelli just announced a raise to $135k in STL and KC (and raises in other offices, too).
Wow thanks for that info. My firm would definitely consider those firms "peer" firms so I'm hoping they match.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Had to bump with this: http://abovethelaw.com/2016/07/180k-hits-a-new-market/

Dowd Bennett to 180k.

anon because at a competing firm.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Had to bump with this: http://abovethelaw.com/2016/07/180k-hits-a-new-market/

Dowd Bennett to 180k.

anon because at a competing firm.
My jaw hit the floor when I saw this article.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:36 am

Hate to necro a somewhat old thread, but I figured it's best to keep this as the STL big law thread.

So it seems that Bryan Cave, Thompson Coburn, Husch Blackwell, Armstrong Teasdale, Greensfelder, Lewis Rice, Lathrop Gage, and Polsinelli are what would be considered the big law firms. What kind of t14 grades would be needed to land a job at one of those?

In addition, what other firms are there to target? Does Stinson Leonard Street, Dentons, and Norton Rose Fulbright hire many/any entry-level attorneys?

What about smaller firms (midlaw/boutiques)? I've read about Dowd Bennett and Korein Tillery, but they seem pretty high-end. Do they hire entry-level attorneys? Also, Sandberg Phoenix and Foley & Mansfield seem pretty legit, but I don't know much about them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hate to necro a somewhat old thread, but I figured it's best to keep this as the STL big law thread.

So it seems that Bryan Cave, Thompson Coburn, Husch Blackwell, Armstrong Teasdale, Greensfelder, Lewis Rice, Lathrop Gage, and Polsinelli are what would be considered the big law firms. What kind of t14 grades would be needed to land a job at one of those?

In addition, what other firms are there to target? Does Stinson Leonard Street, Dentons, and Norton Rose Fulbright hire many/any entry-level attorneys?

What about smaller firms (midlaw/boutiques)? I've read about Dowd Bennett and Korein Tillery, but they seem pretty high-end. Do they hire entry-level attorneys? Also, Sandberg Phoenix and Foley & Mansfield seem pretty legit, but I don't know much about them.
Dowd Bennett doesn't take summers, but I have no idea if they hire 1st years. Pretty sure every associate there clerked.

I did a 1L summer at Lewis Rice last year. Every summer then and this past summer came from a Missouri law school except for 1 person from Vanderbilt. It's all about ties and how you interview. St. Louis firms have a huge city inferiority complex. It's not even inferiority vs NYC, but they're concerned about people going to Chicago, DC, LA, etc. They're very, very ties sensitive. Bryan Cave is the least ties sensitive, but they still care a lot.

These firms don't hire many SAs aside from Bryan Cave. I mean, 2016, Greendsfelder had 2 1Ls and 6 2Ls. Lewis Rice took 5 1Ls and 5 2Ls. I don't know Husch Blackwell's numbers, but it was commensurate. Each firm probably makes it a point to take one or two from SLU/Mizzou, and they'll take a handful from Wash U, so I don't know, there just don't seem to be any spots for T14 people really. I don't know if that's self selection or what, and I can't explain it, but very, very few T14 grads end up in STL biglaw.

Frankly, your only real shot is at Bryan Cave if you want to be in STL. That's my take.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aspire2esquire

New

Post by aspire2esquire » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:51 am

T14 kid, PM me for information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Anyone know anything about Senniger Powers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hate to necro a somewhat old thread, but I figured it's best to keep this as the STL big law thread.

Dowd Bennett doesn't take summers, but I have no idea if they hire 1st years. Pretty sure every associate there clerked.

I did a 1L summer at Lewis Rice last year. Every summer then and this past summer came from a Missouri law school except for 1 person from Vanderbilt. It's all about ties and how you interview. St. Louis firms have a huge city inferiority complex. It's not even inferiority vs NYC, but they're concerned about people going to Chicago, DC, LA, etc. They're very, very ties sensitive. Bryan Cave is the least ties sensitive, but they still care a lot.

These firms don't hire many SAs aside from Bryan Cave. I mean, 2016, Greendsfelder had 2 1Ls and 6 2Ls. Lewis Rice took 5 1Ls and 5 2Ls. I don't know Husch Blackwell's numbers, but it was commensurate. Each firm probably makes it a point to take one or two from SLU/Mizzou, and they'll take a handful from Wash U, so I don't know, there just don't seem to be any spots for T14 people really. I don't know if that's self selection or what, and I can't explain it, but very, very few T14 grads end up in STL biglaw.

Frankly, your only real shot is at Bryan Cave if you want to be in STL. That's my take.
I was born and raised in St. Louis, and my family still lives there. Went to a good high school in the area if that ever comes up.

Will STL firms be pissed if an applicant is targeting other markets as well?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was born and raised in St. Louis, and my family still lives there. Went to a good high school in the area if that ever comes up.

Will STL firms be pissed if an applicant is targeting other markets as well?
I think you're good. Brush up on high school football in case you interview with older partners who are sometimes into that. Yes, they will not like that you are targeting other markets, but they should have no way of finding out. If they ask, say you're casting a wide net because you don't want to risk not getting a job, since you know how competitive it is to get a position in STL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Dowd Bennett hired two summers from WUSTL last year.

With all of the firms STL ties are big and coming from the T14 you need to let them know that being in STL is your priority. Most of the firms largely hire 1Ls so you should be working to get hired for 1L summer, not waiting until 2L year because often times there are few if any spots remaining in a class if the previous 1Ls return. If you have STL connections and are able to be in STL, I would apply and email firms (as a 1L) letting them know you will be in STL over winter break and are available to interview. I had a friend do this and he lined up five interviews with STL firms over winter break. Bryan Cave is more flexible and much more open to hiring 2Ls based on my experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dowd Bennett hired two summers from WUSTL last year.
Good for them! I stand corrected about them not taking summers. Do you know if those summers got full-time offers? And whether full-time offers are an expected outcome for 2L summer associates? I went to take a look at their current associate bios and it looks like I have severely overstated the clerkship requirement--there are plenty of associates without clerkships.

That said, a large portion of the associates come from local law schools like Mizzou and SLU, so I think this firm will also be particularly ties sensitive. The only T14 associate I saw was from Northwestern. I wouldn't bank on them being a realistic option for people who don't happen to be at or near the top of their class at WUSTL/Mizzou/SLU.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:59 pm

T14 struggles to get MO Biglaw is a real thing. Top 10 school student; I grew up in the state my entire life before attending UG and LS out of state. Had CBs with most of the major MO firms but didn't land a single offer. This wasn't due to grades or poor interviewing; I know a lot of my fellow MO folks who had no issues getting top jobs in Chicago but struggled to land anything in-state. I understand why some of the firms hesitate to hire T10 SAs, but they also seem to hire T14 3Ls with no ties to the state to fill positions sometimes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T14 struggles to get MO Biglaw is a real thing. Top 10 school student; I grew up in the state my entire life before attending UG and LS out of state. Had CBs with most of the major MO firms but didn't land a single offer. This wasn't due to grades or poor interviewing; I know a lot of my fellow MO folks who had no issues getting top jobs in Chicago but struggled to land anything in-state. I understand why some of the firms hesitate to hire T10 SAs, but they also seem to hire T14 3Ls with no ties to the state to fill positions sometimes.
Did you apply as a 1L or a 2L?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”