St. Louis Biglaw Summer Associate Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: St. Louis Biglaw Summer Associate Taking Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:38 pm

What's the word on polsinelli? Recently had a cb, and was definitely impressed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do we feel about sending post-CB thank-you emails? There's a lot of conflicting advice, and I'm trying to gauge whether it's worthwhile/expected for STL firms.
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do we feel about sending post-CB thank-you emails? There's a lot of conflicting advice, and I'm trying to gauge whether it's worthwhile/expected for STL firms.
+1

Thank-you emails are unlikely to put you over the hump. When I receive thank-you emails, I get a sense that someone is a bit desperate. I've noticed that the strongest candidates that we have come through our office do not send thank-you emails.

As a younger attorney who interviewed a number folks this past OCI season, I would advice that you not send any emails. Typically, the minute a person walks out of my office, I am sending recruiting my thumbs up/down. By the time that you send me an email, it will be too late.

I have also received thank-you emails from people that were addressed to the wrong person (i.e., not me), included the name of the wrong firm (i.e., not our firm's name), and contained typos.

A lot more bad than good can come from sending thank-you emails.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:43 am

What's the word, gossip, reputation, what-have-you on the main Stl firms? How hard do they work associates, which ones are snobby, which ones are friendly, is there supposedly some sort of hierarchy?

I'd like to get a sense of each firm's identity, however anecdotal it might be.

Would someone with some real knowledge wanna put together a little "Guide to Stl big-law"?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:20 am

Which firms have the highest CB:offer ratios? What about the lowest?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Any news or corrections on the above information or expectations for this year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:28 am

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:44 pm

Polsinelli is having 2 summers and TC is having 8, both done recruiting

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:53 pm

What about Bryan Cave or Husch? Anyone know if they are done ??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Anyone know anything about Armstrong Teasdale's recruiting process or summer program?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about Armstrong Teasdale's recruiting process or summer program?
Do you want to know anything specific? I interviewed with them last year, but ended up at a different firm. Recruiting process itself was pretty standard - definitely be ready for the why St. Louis/why AT questions. The offices are beautiful, probably the nicest interior of any St. Louis firm. They also run (or, at least, did run) on a very late timeline - you might be waiting a while for a recruiting decision to come down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about Armstrong Teasdale's recruiting process or summer program?
Do you want to know anything specific? I interviewed with them last year, but ended up at a different firm. Recruiting process itself was pretty standard - definitely be ready for the why St. Louis/why AT questions. The offices are beautiful, probably the nicest interior of any St. Louis firm. They also run (or, at least, did run) on a very late timeline - you might be waiting a while for a recruiting decision to come down.
Thanks for the information. I know their recruiting process is still ongoing.

What would you say that AT is known for? I know they have a big IP department. What else is the firm strong in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for the information. I know their recruiting process is still ongoing.

What would you say that AT is known for? I know they have a big IP department. What else is the firm strong in?
Honestly, I'm not completely sure. I was pretty much dead-set on doing corporate when I was interviewing, so that's what I was looking out for. Talked to several corporate attorneys, and work seemed kinda slow (both generally and relative to the more established St. Louis corporate law groups), and they were fairly upfront about new associates getting a lot of diligence work. In any case, it seemed the firm's emphasis veers heavily towards litigation.

I have heard good things about the IP group, yeah, and I know they've been expanding that group pretty rapidly over the last few years.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I won't be too much help here. For what it's worth, even though AT has been around for quite some time, it still felt a little like they were angling to establish themselves (/carve out a segment) of the St. Louis (and perhaps regional) market. I got that feeling with a lot of St. Louis firms: Bryan Cave and Thompson Coburn have strong, entrenched positions, and there was a general feeling that the rest of the market was kind of in flux/up for grabs.

For what it's worth, I think this is why you're seeing very aggressive expansion by Polsinelli and another longstanding firm (Husch Blackwell) essentially reworking itself. There are several firms that kind of occupy the same space right now (Lewis Rice, Husch Blackwell, AT, Polsinelli), and it seems they're all angling to become that dominant third firm, or to carve out a particular niche (as AT seems to be doing with IP).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:14 am

I am at WashU and would like to stay in StL. I don't really have ties to the city, but immediate family lives 3 hours one way, and extended family lives three hours the other (both in MO) , will that be helpful or do employers care mainly only about actual StL ties?

Thanks.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am at WashU and would like to stay in StL. I don't really have ties to the city, but immediate family lives 3 hours one way, and extended family lives three hours the other (both in MO) , will that be helpful or do employers care mainly only about actual StL ties?

Thanks.
Hate to say it, but you are going to be facing a very steep uphill struggle. St. Louis is stupid insular so if you don't have an answer to "what high school did you go to." you aren't going to be looked at as having ties with just family 3 hours away alone.

Work up a really good answer to "Why St. Louis?". If you need help feel free to shoot me a PM or there are people in the Wustl Career Service office who can help you with that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:05 pm

This thread is great! Is this the most current one? Also very interested in this topic

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:27 pm

St. Louis also has some very good boutiques. As someone who has had some experience with biglaw, I think it'd be foolish for any top litigation-minded student not to seriously consider somewhere smaller.

I'd strongly recommend Dowd Bennett for defense-side work and Korein Tillery for plaintiffs-side / public interest-y work. Both will generally take a summer associate here or there, so it's worth reaching out if you're interested (both also hire post-clerkship). I think the general profile necessary to be competitive for either place is around top 5-10% WashU or top 10-25% at a T14, depending on connections. I think a good rule of thumb for either place is that if you're competitive for a federal clerkship out of your school, you're probably competitive for a position (so, for example, I think the top couple students at SLU, and some others--such as President of the Law Review--are also likely competitive). Fit is obviously going to be key for any smaller shop.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 am

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Current SA at a STL "biglaw" firm - anon because posting with my username would out me easily.

What kind of URM? And do you already have a screener with TC lined up? And honestly without any ties to STL I would say the chances are pretty low. Combine that with mediocre grades from a school ranked lower than WUSTL and I wouldn't put too many eggs in this basket.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current SA at a STL "biglaw" firm - anon because posting with my username would out me easily.

What kind of URM? And do you already have a screener with TC lined up? And honestly without any ties to STL I would say the chances are pretty low. Combine that with mediocre grades from a school ranked lower than WUSTL and I wouldn't put too many eggs in this basket.
Also not to be rude, but the kid's english is not good at all. I would say 0% chance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 pm

chuckbass wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Current SA at a STL "biglaw" firm - anon because posting with my username would out me easily.

Also not to be rude, but the kid's english is not good at all. I would say 0% chance.

hispanic kind of URM (so the language I speak is spanish, french, english). yes, I already have a screener with TC lined up. now this is making me feel kinda sarcastic because I chose bc law over WUSTL. probably bc law' s ranking is only "lower" than wustl in midwest area. (are we really looking at usnews)

*getting comments on english by someone using a gossipgirl username that was some pretty intense humiliation

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chuckbass wrote:

hispanic kind of URM (so the language I speak is spanish, french, english). yes, I already have a screener with TC lined up. now this is making me feel kinda sarcastic because I chose bc law over WUSTL. probably bc law' s ranking is only "lower" than wustl in midwest area. (are we really looking at usnews)

*getting comments on english by someone using a gossipgirl username that was some pretty intense humiliation
Again, commenting on your english wasn't an insult but let's be realistic here. Your english, as evidenced in your second post as well, really doesn't cut it in a profession where precision of language is paramount. I don't know what you meant by "sarcastic" but yes going to BC instead of WUSTL was a mistake if you wanted to work in STL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:39 pm

can I just hear what OP has to say about TC, and how strong does "regional ties" or "URM" play in their consideration.
and most importantly, there is no nalp form so I still dont know the size of their summer class. i assume STL office has larger size since its HQ. my boyfriend is in chicago but not sure if that constitutes "ties" at all.

midwest is definitely secondary market for me. but Im treating every screener as seriously as possible. i dont get to be particular about the geo area right now.

NoChainz

Bronze

Post by NoChainz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can I just hear what OP has to say about TC, and how strong does "regional ties" or "URM" play in their consideration.
and most importantly, there is no nalp form so I still dont know the size of their summer class. i assume STL office has larger size since its HQ. my boyfriend is in chicago but not sure if that constitutes "ties" at all.

midwest is definitely secondary market for me. but Im treating every screener as seriously as possible. i dont get to be particular about the geo area right now.
Last edited by NoChainz on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”