Let's Talk San Francisco - Taking Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Let's Talk San Francisco - Taking Questions

Post by rpupkin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:34 pm

ilovesf wrote: Honestly based on everything you said I get the impression you didn't do much research at all into where you lived. I've always parked in the street and it's been fine (a break in, yeah, in the last 6 years). I was fine parking even living in mob hill.
Agreed. There are plenty of neighborhoods in SF that have street parking. I'd say SF is better than the typical big city in this respect, not worse. And lol @ the suggestion that SF has more careless drivers who scratch bumpers. If you want to live in a city and if you park on a street, your bumper is going to get scratched/dinged.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:38 pm

^ yup. I have no idea why people spring for nice cars.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:41 pm

My only anecdote to add: people in LA are objectively worse drivers than the Bay.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:03 pm

bk1 wrote:My only anecdote to add: people in LA are objectively worse drivers than the Bay.
I drove 5 from SF to SD the weekend before last. Holy fuck, there is such a difference in driving skills.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:31 pm

It also makes no sense because I suspect people in SoCal spend more time in the car than those in the Bay Area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:33 pm

bk1 wrote:It also makes no sense because I suspect people in SoCal spend more time in the car than those in the Bay Area.
2.5 hours a day for me now!

patentlitigatrix

Silver

Post by patentlitigatrix » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:22 pm

bk1 wrote:My only anecdote to add: people in LA are objectively worse drivers than the Bay.
This is backwards. I am sure it was just a typo, bk1. :wink:

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:16 pm

patentlitigatrix wrote:
This is backwards. I am sure it was just a typo, bk1. :wink:
:lol:

I drive down a 4 car-wide side streets here nearly every day and there are countless people coming the opposite way who don't understand how to make room for both our cars to pass when there are cars parked on both sides (they either drive down the middle or stop and let me go). There is also a complete inability to read/comprehend the writing on the ground that says "keep clear" in intersections.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:18 pm

bk1 wrote:It also makes no sense because I suspect people in SoCal spend more time in the car than those in the Bay Area.
I think it does make sense. Drivers in LA are purposefully mean and aggressive. I've learned that I simply can't safely use my turn signal to change lanes on the highway because inevitably the person in that lane will speed up to purposefully close to gap for me to merge in.
My favorite is when a lane ends or like freeway on ramps when the driver won't let you in even though there is physically no other place for you to go.
LA drivers are just the worse. And to boot LA has a 50% hit and run rate.
Amazingly, the new Metro seems to work great.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Drivers in LA are purposefully mean and aggressive.
This is not what I mean. I mean that they have much less understanding about the size and spacial position of their vehicle. There is nothing purposeful about believing your car is 12" wider than it actually is.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Sat May 20, 2017 9:10 am

tag

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Interested pretty broadly in FS-related work, starting with securities enforcement/litigation/regulation, but also potentially transactional-side work with FS (everything from banks to funds as opposed to startup or traditional tech corporate work). From research, seems like strongest lit firms in SF tend to also have strongest groups in this particular area, so places like GDC, MoFo, Munger (though I'd have to SA in LA I think), and Latham appear to be at the top of the list. Any other firms I should be looking at? I know lit boutiques like Keker and Boies appear to have good securities practices as well, but not sure if I'm neglecting other firms with specific strengths in this area. Long term I'd love to work a regional office of a regulator or in-house at a NorCal FS firm, assuming I can't hack the partner track. Doing related work this summer, but out of market. Grades are roughly 10% at CCN, no word on LR yet. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Bottom 25% at T14, good summer jobs w/ secondary journal & URM. Very strong ties to SF -- born there, went to high school there, etc. Any suggestions of where to mass mail in SF for a rising 2L?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bottom 25% at T14, good summer jobs w/ secondary journal & URM. Very strong ties to SF -- born there, went to high school there, etc. Any suggestions of where to mass mail in SF for a rising 2L?
I had identical stats w/ only 1L summer ties. Snagged a pre-select with MLB at BADCF, so you might do the same via MM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are transactional-leaning and interested in startup/EC/VC work but also want to try out more traditional public company M&A type corporate work, is there any benefit to starting out an NYC V-5 for a few years and then lateraling out-west? Deciding between Cooley/Fenwick/MoFo and Cravath and similar NY firms.
Some SF firms don't allow incoming associates to do M&A and specifically hire laterals only.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Gibson Dunn vs. Covington for lit in SF? GD associates seemed like they were doing more interesting work on average, but I can't tell if I'm letting their national reputation cloud my judgment. Any other thoughts on office culture, hours, etc?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:41 pm

Bump for any insight / experience with these offices.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you are transactional-leaning and interested in startup/EC/VC work but also want to try out more traditional public company M&A type corporate work, is there any benefit to starting out an NYC V-5 for a few years and then lateraling out-west? Deciding between Cooley/Fenwick/MoFo and Cravath and similar NY firms.
Some SF firms don't allow incoming associates to do M&A and specifically hire laterals only.
I have never heard of this. The only thing close to this is WSGR's lateral-heavy M&A group in SF. However, WSGR also does plenty of public company M&A in Palo Alto, which is heavily populated by people who started with the firm.

Maybe there's one weird firm that does this, but it is far from common out here.
Last edited by dabigchina on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump for any insight / experience with these offices.
In my very limited experience with Bay Area lit, it seems that GDC is more well rounded than Covington. My understanding is Covington's office is primarily IP lit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Can anybody speak to APKS (although I guess it's mostly Howard Rice with a dusting of Arnold & Porter and very little Kaye Scholer?) both broadly and in regard to securities/white collar work in SF?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any opinions on Mayer Brown Palo Alto?
Bump.
Correct me if I am wrong, but they do a lot of litigation work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 am

Tips for lateraling to SF with no apparent ties ? I have family in the area and a love for the city, but that is obviously not reflected in my resume.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson Dunn vs. Covington for lit in SF? GD associates seemed like they were doing more interesting work on average, but I can't tell if I'm letting their national reputation cloud my judgment. Any other thoughts on office culture, hours, etc?
+1, anybody got any info on this front? Or anon- find any info outside of this thread that helped you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on Skadden Palo Alto (lit)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”