Interests section on resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KM2016

Bronze

Re: Interests section on resume?

Post by KM2016 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:52 am

IME, interests sections are awesome. At almost every screener interview I came into during OCI, the interviewers had a thing or two from my interests section underlined or circled, and conversation always began with my interests. Makes for a much more personal, cordial, and conversational interview.

In fact, I really hit it off with several interviewers based on my interest section, and didn't get asked a single question about law school, my interest in the firm, etc. Most of these led to callbacks, and many callback interviewers also really enjoyed discussing my interests.

Long story short, definitely put an interests section on your resume. Don't make them too broad or too specialized.

eriedoctrine

Bronze

Post by eriedoctrine » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:31 am

Don't refrain from not excluding this section.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 am

Scuppers wrote:So it's too late for my summer apps (thanks a lot, CLS), but you guys have sold me on adding interests for future apps. So what about listing someone related to that field instead of the field itself?

Like instead of: Football, playing piano, writing screenplays

I put something like: Elway, Keith Jarrett, Tarantino

Asking about any of them leads into the general topic and other topics (Elway for fantasy football and because I was a QB in HS, Jarrett because I play piano, Tarantino because Pulp Fiction got me into it).

I didn't notice anyone else do that in these 9 pages except for the $100, $50, $20 guy, so maybe this is a bad strat.
I agree this comes across as sort of stalkerish. It also requires the reader to know who the people are, and while it probably means I'm a philistine, I didn't know who Keith Jarrett is. You don't want your reader to have to figure out what your interest is. (I think you could get away with Tarantino movies or Tarantino screenplays, but just the person is a little weird. An interest should be a thing or activity, not a person.).

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:14 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote: I agree this comes across as sort of stalkerish. It also requires the reader to know who the people are, and while it probably means I'm a philistine, I didn't know who Keith Jarrett is. You don't want your reader to have to figure out what your interest is. (I think you could get away with Tarantino movies or Tarantino screenplays, but just the person is a little weird. An interest should be a thing or activity, not a person.).
I likewise had no clue. And to tell the truth, my 1 minute of googling did not enlighten me greatly (American jazz pianist and composer, though I kinda guessed the pianist and composer part). Agreed about it needing to be a thing or activity. If you say jazz or jazz piano, someone might ask who your favorite performer is and you can then talk about Keith Jarrett.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:32 am

eriedoctrine wrote:Don't refrain from not excluding this section.
nice triple negative; glad you were helpful

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:43 am

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:11 am

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:21 am

i changed my interests per employer so for jenner i said my interests included the color blue and spreading the wealth

for quinn i said my interests were beach sandals, refusing to capitalize letters, and hiking with the people that i hate

and for kirkland ny i said i that i was interested in putting my dog down right before trial

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:17 pm

Are interests sections as important when applying to public interest positions? I have one on my fellowship resume, but no employer has ever asked about it; they're more interested in relevant experience, language proficiency, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:43 pm

BlueLotus wrote:Are interests sections as important when applying to public interest positions? I have one on my fellowship resume, but no employer has ever asked about it; they're more interested in relevant experience, language proficiency, etc.
From what I've heard the process is different. Biglaw hiring is already largely decided based on your grades/journal, so interviewers are mostly looking for fit. Public interest on the other hand is less picky about grades and looks for people who are actually committed to the mission of the organization or who have relevant experience. The interests section is really just an icebreaker and a decent way to flesh out whether you seem like a good fit personality-wise for the firm. They don't actually care that you're into X sports team, and skiing, just that you seem normal and like someone they would want to work with. Public interest interviews often ignore this aspect because they simply don't have time to talk about your hobbies when they have other things to figure out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:50 am

I don't think these ideas were brought up, but would it be weird or creepy if I have LEGOs under my interest section. I used to work for LEGO and I collect them. Also, I know saying videogames is probably frowned upon, but what about "meta-gaming".

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think these ideas were brought up, but would it be weird or creepy if I have LEGOs under my interest section. I used to work for LEGO and I collect them. Also, I know saying videogames is probably frowned upon, but what about "meta-gaming".
Is LEGO on your resume in the other experience section? If not, see if it will fit chronologically. That's how it can be brought up without looking odd on the interest section.

"WTF is meta-gaming?" is my reaction, and likely that of many potential employers.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:35 pm

FWIW, I might actually put "advanced Lego design and construction" or something in my interests, as long as there were also some more traditionally adult (and less mom's basement) sounding hobbies on there too. Lego is awesome.

I don't know what meta-gaming is either. From wiki it just looks like cheating at RPGs? I don't get it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think these ideas were brought up, but would it be weird or creepy if I have LEGOs under my interest section. I used to work for LEGO and I collect them. Also, I know saying videogames is probably frowned upon, but what about "meta-gaming".
I'd ding for pluralizing LEGO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:FWIW, I might actually put "advanced Lego design and construction" or something in my interests, as long as there were also some more traditionally adult (and less mom's basement) sounding hobbies on there too. Lego is awesome.

I don't know what meta-gaming is either. From wiki it just looks like cheating at RPGs? I don't get it.
I have some other solid stuff like home-brewing and boxing, the game I'm referring to with "meta-gaming" is Eve Online, where a lot of the game can take place outside of actually playing the game, and you use some skills that could be useful in real life (such as economics, diplomacy, negotiations, ect.)

Although, the more I talk about this, the more I realize I sound like an idiot so "meta-gaming" is out of the question :lol:

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:FWIW, I might actually put "advanced Lego design and construction" or something in my interests, as long as there were also some more traditionally adult (and less mom's basement) sounding hobbies on there too. Lego is awesome.

I have some other solid stuff like home-brewing and boxing, the game I'm referring to with "meta-gaming" is Eve Online, where a lot of the game can take place outside of actually playing the game, and you use some skills that could be useful in real life (such as economics, diplomacy, negotiations, ect.)

Although, the more I talk about this, the more I realize I sound like an idiot so "meta-gaming" is out of the question :lol:

irish921

New

Post by irish921 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:47 pm

Don't get too cheeky.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Don't fucking put meta-gaming. JFC.

pdwannabe

New

Post by pdwannabe » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:36 am

would it be bad to put fantasy football as an interest? I feel like it could lead to good convo depending on the interviewer, but could also make you look lazy or something

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:51 am

NVMND

wsparker

Bronze

Post by wsparker » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:39 pm

would documentaries be a weird interest?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:09 am

wsparker wrote:would documentaries be a weird interest?
No. Sounds good. Might be a good conversation starter.

How is this? Specific/interesting enough?
• Kayaking, hiking, birding, gardening, art history, animal rescue, salsa dancing, harmonium, meditation, Wii, Scrabble.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:53 am

Too many. Pick three or four you can really hold a conversation about.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Too many. Pick three or four you can really hold a conversation about.
Thanks, which 3-4 are the most interesting/compelling?

I'm worried that people might think "animal rescue"=PETA freak. But it is a big part of my life.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:46 am

Whichever 3-4 you can speak most interestingly/compellingly about.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”