Lets Talk Seattle... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:39 pm

I heard from recruiting a couple weeks ago their class was full. Did something happen?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:So Perkins to 145 happened. Will this affect the market generally and, if so, how much lag will there be given the recent market raise to ~120/25? Alternatively, perhaps PC is making the move to further differentiate itself from the rest of the pack?
Other firms (DWT, K&L, and Dorsey etc.) matched the raise to 145k. So 145K starting is the new "market" for Seattle "Biglaw" (of course, the Techies were already paying 160k).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:13 am

Anonymous User wrote: - Foster & Dorsey: both satellite offices of large firms, so it would seem reasonable for them to bump as well (at least marginally to remain competitive locally)--maybe both to 125.

Tl;dr: The market seems to be moving towards a somewhat uniform number (maybe 125), while Perkins is taking further steps to keep talent from heading to larger markets.
Dorsey was already paying 125K, since way back. They recently matched Perkins' 145K, as did DWT, and K&L. So 1st years make (or will be making, beginning January 1, 2016) 145K at Perkins, Dorsey, and DWT, at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: - Foster & Dorsey: both satellite offices of large firms, so it would seem reasonable for them to bump as well (at least marginally to remain competitive locally)--maybe both to 125.

Tl;dr: The market seems to be moving towards a somewhat uniform number (maybe 125), while Perkins is taking further steps to keep talent from heading to larger markets.
Dorsey was already paying 125K, since way back. They recently matched Perkins' 145K, as did DWT, and K&L. So 1st years make (or will be making, beginning January 1, 2016) 145K at Perkins, Dorsey, and DWT, at least.
Good catch--I mistakenly thought both were 122.5. Re: the matching, do you think Stoel Rives/Lane Powell are large enough to follow suit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:38 am

Would NorCal be enough of a tie to Seattle?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:55 pm

I know someone who has done it. I think that, the stronger you are as a candidate, the less that ties matters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good catch--I mistakenly thought both were 122.5. Re: the matching, do you think Stoel Rives/Lane Powell are large enough to follow suit?
Stoel Rives announced increases in salaries in Seattle (and other offices). The increase in Seattle is to $135k though, not 145k like the others.

See http://www.law360.com/articles/723366/s ... n-3-cities

Btw, I can answer very generic questions about practicing in Seattle "biglaw"...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stoel Rives announced increases in salaries in Seattle (and other offices). The increase in Seattle is to $135k though, not 145k like the others.

Btw, I can answer very generic questions about practicing in Seattle "biglaw"...
Can you talk at all about exit opportunities for "big" firm associates within the broader legal community in Seattle? What's the timeline like for associates who want to go in house? Is it better to have experience at a larger firm in a different market than at a Seattle regional?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote: Stoel Rives announced increases in salaries in Seattle (and other offices). The increase in Seattle is to $135k though, not 145k like the others.

Raises are raises, so that's all good news.

Glad to have you here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Can you talk at all about exit opportunities for "big" firm associates within the broader legal community in Seattle? What's the timeline like for associates who want to go in house? Is it better to have experience at a larger firm in a different market than at a Seattle regional?
Bump. Also, can you speak to compensation (generally) after 1st year? What you've seen or heard and if you know whether it varies substantially by firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:08 pm

Has anyone received start dates for the summer? Do summer programs start later because there are naturally more UW students (thus, folks on the quarter system ending May 27) or do different people start at different times?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received start dates for the summer? Do summer programs start later because there are naturally more UW students (thus, folks on the quarter system ending May 27) or do different people start at different times?
Start dates for PC (at least for this year) are staggered. 5/31 for non-quarter system schools, and 6/13 for quarter system schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:25 am

What have people been doing for the housing search? Should things be picking up in terms of availability or am I just out of the loop?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:34 pm

Does anyone have any insight about the culture/vibe of DWT Seattle? I've been able to find a good deal about the culture at Perkins (which seems like it would agree with me) but less so about DWT. How does it compare to Perkins in terms of people, hours, etc?

redtalun

New

Post by redtalun » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insight about the culture/vibe of DWT Seattle? I've been able to find a good deal about the culture at Perkins (which seems like it would agree with me) but less so about DWT. How does it compare to Perkins in terms of people, hours, etc?
Nicer people overall and better work/life balance. Drop me a PM if you have some more specific questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 08, 2016 3:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received start dates for the summer? Do summer programs start later because there are naturally more UW students (thus, folks on the quarter system ending May 27) or do different people start at different times?
5/31 start date; 9 week program. I'm on semester, but I know another SA who attends UW so he will have 4 days between the end of the quarter system and the start date.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:19 pm

Any insight whether the move to 180 will impact anyone in Seattle, or if the recent moves to 145 are the most we will see?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any insight whether the move to 180 will impact anyone in Seattle, or if the recent moves to 145 are the most we will see?
Well Cooley matched in all offices (including Seattle) although it is a very small office and I eagerly anticipate fighting you all for the one SA slot.

I wouldn't be shocked if WSRG also matches eventually (although another small office).

I think too early to say how it will affect K&L/Perkins/etc. but I have to think they will feel some pressure to raise somewhat.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Raise seems doubtful. All of those who decided to summer in Seattle last Fall went in thinking Seattle would pay 35k less than NY. Seattle still had plenty of applicants. This isn't a market that needs to match NY to get people to come. With 20k raises both in Seattle and NY in the past year, don't think anything more will happen. Also, Seattle has lower billing rates, so a raise would be tough to afford.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:46 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any insight whether the move to 180 will impact anyone in Seattle, or if the recent moves to 145 are the most we will see?
Well Cooley matched in all offices (including Seattle) although it is a very small office and I eagerly anticipate fighting you all for the one SA slot.

I wouldn't be shocked if WSRG also matches eventually (although another small office).

I think too early to say how it will affect K&L/Perkins/etc. but I have to think they will feel some pressure to raise somewhat.
Nah, they just gave a big raise. People who want to live in Seattle are more than happy to leave $$$ on the table, and fit is more important to them than attracting the very tippy top candidates. Maybe if they (Perkins) feel pressure to raise their Chicago office or something, but I doubt it.

HerculesQEinstein

New

Post by HerculesQEinstein » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:19 pm

UnicornHunter wrote:
Auxilio wrote:

Nah, they just gave a big raise. People who want to live in Seattle are more than happy to leave $$$ on the table, and fit is more important to them than attracting the very tippy top candidates. Maybe if they (Perkins) feel pressure to raise their Chicago office or something, but I doubt it.
I wouldn't expect to see 180, but some form of symbolic raise wouldn't surprise me. Any Perkins lawyer working in the VC space has to be tempted if there's an opening down the street at Cooley/WSGR/Fenwick. The spread only grows with seniority.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:29 pm

HerculesQEinstein wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:
Auxilio wrote:

I wouldn't expect to see 180, but some form of symbolic raise wouldn't surprise me. Any Perkins lawyer working in the VC space has to be tempted if there's an opening down the street at Cooley/WSGR/Fenwick. The spread only grows with seniority.
Yeah, if they're feeling any pressure I assume it's pressure to keep mid level and senior associates around. Seems like it would make more sense to bump comp for them than across the board. But who knows, I have no idea if Perkins is struggling to retain talent, but I'm 100% sure they have no problem attracting it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:13 am

HerculesQEinstein wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:
Auxilio wrote:

This is what I've heard. A raise is likely, but not to 180.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:47 am

Any insight on the Portland market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:37 pm

I heard rumors that a perkins raise is coming. Any idea which firms will match?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”