Lets Talk Seattle... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lets Talk Seattle...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:33 am

Anyone have anything to say about Seattle this OCI cycle? SA experiences last year? Offers? SA class sizes? I feel like I'm in the dark.

Small market anon...

Anonymous User

Re: Lets Talk Seattle...

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:49 am

On a similar note, does anyone have anything to say about the Northwest Minority Job Fair? I'm thinking of participating, but not from Seattle and not sure if it's worth my time if my odds of breaking into this market are so low.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 am

Nobody?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 am

Also interested in Seattle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:45 am

Interested. What I know: Perkins and K&L run the town. 2-5 students come from the local schools, the rest t14. Seattle is a small market. I think only a few firms pay market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:52 am

No chance for a non-local?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:No chance for a non-local?
Without strong ties I have heard Seattle is near impossible. As is Portland.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:55 pm

HLS sends like 0-2 people each year. (0-1 for Summer 2011). People with very good grades and strong ties (Seattle native, K-12 and undergrad there) have struck out there. People I've talked to who used to be part of hiring committees there state there was generally a divide regarding people with good grades from top schools--some thought they were worth extending offers to, but majority often overrules and considers the candidates to have too high a flight risk. I know someone whose father is on the hiring comittee at one of the top Seattle firms who brags that he auto-dings Harvard applicants for being from Harvard. When a friend told her father that I was at HLS(he doesn't actualy know me, just "a friend of mine from the area") and interested in Seattle he laughed and said not to bother trying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Everyone I know from my T14 who summered in Seattle had extensive ties, and they said their small summer classes were packed with T14ers. UW places just a handful in Seattle big law. The problem with Seattle is that there are only a few dozen summer associate positions, and only a fraction of those are true big law (K&L, Perkins, DWT). There are hundreds of summer associate positions in Chicago, DC, LA, etc., and thousands in New York, so targeting Seattle isn't particularly wise if you lack significant ties.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Is attending undergrad in the state enough of a tie to get any looks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is attending undergrad in the state enough of a tie to get any looks?
Was it UW? That should help. But, again, people with top grades who had undergrad + K-12 have struck out in Seattle, so just plan accordingly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is attending undergrad in the state enough of a tie to get any looks?
Was it UW? That should help. But, again, people with top grades who had undergrad + K-12 have struck out in Seattle, so just plan accordingly.
It was a smaller school not in Seattle. I'm worried that it's a bit tenuous, but I do love the area and have family sort of around there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It was a smaller school not in Seattle. I'm worried that it's a bit tenuous, but I do love the area and have family sort of around there?
You could at the very least mass-mail if you're worried that the bids you'll toss at OCI will be a waste.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Nobody wants to talk about Seattle?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:57 pm

What exactly does "strong ties" mean? Is being a Seattle native with family in Seattle enough, or do you actually need to have personal connections with Seattle law firms?

On a related note, what school outside of HYS gives you the best shot at Seattle Biglaw? Boalt, CCN or UW?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What exactly does "strong ties" mean? Is being a Seattle native with family in Seattle enough, or do you actually need to have personal connections with Seattle law firms?

On a related note, what school outside of HYS gives you the best shot at Seattle Biglaw? Boalt, CCN or UW?
This thread has EXACTLY the info you're looking for

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=189981

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Bump for northwest job fair info if anyone knows anything

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump for northwest job fair info if anyone knows anything
NW Minority Job Fair is this weekend and UW/SU are wrapping up the first week of OCI.

How's it going?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Any idea on when CBs and dings might come from PC? T14 attendee, had a screener with them this month. Curious about the possible time frame for a response.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Any idea on when CBs and dings might come from PC? T14 attendee, had a screener with them this month. Curious about the possible time frame for a response.
Same situation; haven't heard anything, don't know anyone who has.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CB from a Seattle satellite office.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Can you give us more info on which firm? Maybe don't need to name the specific firm. The focus or the size of the mothership would be helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Can you give us more info on which firm? Maybe don't need to name the specific firm. The focus or the size of the mothership would be helpful.
not OP but assumed this referred to PC Bellevue

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Has ANYONE heard from PC Seattle? I did screener at T14 a while ago. No nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:37 pm

I have worked in Seattle and can echo what was said above. The market is brutally small and insular. Even with ties, there are just not enough jobs to go around, so it will still keep you outside the fence if you don't just connect well with an interviewer or something. Also, most firms there tend to pay between 100-130, so don't expect a real biglaw salary unless you score Perkins Coie or K&L Gates (these might be 145 though? Don't remember).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”