new york bar admission: is the interview a formality? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

new york bar admission: is the interview a formality?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:04 pm

third department here. my interview is scheduled on the same day as admission.
suppose we all get our admission certificate on the same day, that means all our certificates will have been ready before our interviews.

how does this make sense, unless the interview is a mere formality?

piccolittle

Silver

Re: new york bar admission: is the interview a formality?

Post by piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:third department here. my interview is scheduled on the same day as admission.
suppose we all get our admission certificate on the same day, that means all our certificates will have been ready before our interviews.

Pretty much. They usually take around 5-10 minutes and I think it's just an anti-serial killer screen. As long as you wear a suit, can talk normally about your experience in law school and your future plans, and don't do anything wild, you're fine. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being rejected at the interview stage.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:12 pm

It's a formality.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:16 pm

i have this question because (1) I got a letter telling me that my application was complete and no documents were missing. it also told me that my application had been forwarded to the committee for review. (2) in the same letter, I got the interview date and swear-in date which are the same.

so, it seems that even before my application had been reviewed, the interview an swear-in date have been set on the same day.

does the statement that my application was complete indicate that there was no red flag with it?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so, it seems that even before my application had been reviewed, the interview an swear-in date have been set on the same day.
Pretty sure this is what usually happens. Mine was the day before because I was coming from out of state and it was one of those consolidated programs so I had my interview after the ethics talk, but I'm pretty sure they usually do them on the same day or close to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:32 pm

so, the c & f had been cleared even before it was sent to the review committee?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so, the c & f had been cleared even before it was sent to the review committee?
I mean, isn't the assumption that once you pass the bar you are getting admitted unless there is a C&F problem? Starting to wonder why you even care. Do you have a C&F issue you're worried about? Just rely on the fact that they assigned you a date, and if there's a problem, they'll tell you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:47 pm

i don't, except that an ex-employer refused to send me an employment affidavit (just like they withheld my W2 form and got penalized). I filed a due diligence affidavit detailing my effort to get it but failed and included it in my application package.

I was told that getting admitted is a privilege not a right. so, passing the bar =/= getting admitted.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told that getting admitted is a privilege not a right. so, passing the bar =/= getting admitted.
That's true, in that they have discretion not to admit you. However, those decisions aren't arbitrary, and it's certainly more common to be admitted than to be rejected for C&F reasons. The worst thing that could happen is perhaps that your admission gets delayed because of the paperwork issues. I'm sure you're fine :) Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:02 am

thanks. very helpful already.

Rams55

New

Post by Rams55 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:30 am

Most people have already submitted the C&F materials? I was told that a lot of people take care of that after the exam. Am I way off on that?

clockwerk

New

Post by clockwerk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 am

A friend of mine got a 15 minute lecture over a parking ticket s/he paid late when s/he was in college, although s/he still got admitted.

Woriesq

New

Post by Woriesq » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Definitely, formality... I spent three months torturing myself over the "interview" but it's no big deal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EliotAlderson

New

Post by EliotAlderson » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:30 am

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:third department here. my interview is scheduled on the same day as admission.

Pretty much. They usually take around 5-10 minutes and I think it's just an anti-serial killer screen. As long as you wear a suit, can talk normally about your experience in law school and your future plans, and don't do anything wild, you're fine. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being rejected at the interview stage.
This. Have a few arrests back when I was young and dumb (still dumb, no longer young). No issues. Had a friend that got caught up in C&F, took about half year to sort out. Once his interview was scheduled, swearing in was shortly after

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:47 am

My interviewer pretended to screw with me for 30 seconds about an old speeding ticket and then said congratulations on joining the bar, and we talked about my career plans for a while. You could blow it by walking in covered in blood I guess, but it's usually a formality.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:54 am

Why are you so paranoid/approaching this as conspiracy theory? If you fail the interview they won't issue the certificate, it doesn't matter at all that they have been printed. There are a bunch of kids in Africa wearing Atlanta Falcons super bowl champion shirts too...

The 3rd department does this as a courtesy because Albany is where all of the out of staters have to go to get admitted and it would be cumbersome to have you travel in twice or stay an extra night. Other departments where people live closer do their interviews on different days than swearing in and it doesn't make either more or less legitimate.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:09 pm

2014 wrote:Why are you so paranoid/approaching this as conspiracy theory? If you fail the interview they won't issue the certificate, it doesn't matter at all that they have been printed. There are a bunch of kids in Africa wearing Atlanta Falcons super bowl champion shirts too...

The 3rd department does this as a courtesy because Albany is where all of the out of staters have to go to get admitted and it would be cumbersome to have you travel in twice or stay an extra night. Other departments where people live closer do their interviews on different days than swearing in and it doesn't make either more or less legitimate.
Lol check out the dates - this bump was 5 years too late
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:00 pm

JenDarby wrote:
2014 wrote:Why are you so paranoid/approaching this as conspiracy theory? If you fail the interview they won't issue the certificate, it doesn't matter at all that they have been printed. There are a bunch of kids in Africa wearing Atlanta Falcons super bowl champion shirts too...

Lol check out the dates - this bump was 5 years too late
lol whoops

Should have made reference to Patriots shirts :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”