2012 UVA OGI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 UVA OGI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone shed light on whether there are any firms/offices that would be nearly impossible for someone who is in the top 10% but not quite LR grade-on level? Specifically for my situation, I have nothing else really going for me (no connections w/ firms, lackluster undergrad and WE, etc.) outside of grades and a fairly cohesive resume for litigation.

I assume Cravath and Williams & Connolly aren't possible, but is there any where else I should cross off my list from the start?

Thanks in advance.
Everything in common with this poster, except between 10 and 25 instead. Want NYC. Anything I should leave off aside from Cravath/W&C? S&C worth a shot?

Also, is a drop from LR level grades to this range over the two semesters something that needs explaining, or just a standard regression to the mean?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:18 pm

If you're posting anonymously, you should just say what your GPA is, since top 10% to top 25% is a big range. The closer you are to a 3.5, the less good a S&C bid is going to do you.

I had a similar decline in my grades and was never asked about it. Cumulative GPA matters way more than any trends/classes. It is probably 95% of what goes into a GPA analysis.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey Guys - thanks for resurrecting this thread, very helpful. I have a couple questions for rising 3Ls who were below median going into OGI:

1. Bid strategies, what worked, what didn't work?

2. For those who received multiple pre-selects despite being below median (saw several post between 2-8 pre-selects last year) what qualities and/or strategies worked?

3. Any other things you would do differently knowing what you know now?

Bumping...can anyone speak to this please?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:26 pm

5ky wrote:If you're posting anonymously, you should just say what your GPA is, since top 10% to top 25% is a big range. The closer you are to a 3.5, the less good a S&C bid is going to do you.

I had a similar decline in my grades and was never asked about it. Cumulative GPA matters way more than any trends/classes. It is probably 95% of what goes into a GPA analysis.
Sorry. Anon above. It's 15% according to the past figures/calculators. Was just wondering whether being above 3.6 (which I am not) is some sort of cutoff generally, separate from the rough figures we have. I seem to remember a lot of the worries from last year's thread stemming from people in my range (who didn't write on, at least) because the firms seemed to preselect the top 10% or so, and then other factors (where like the poster I quoted, I am weaker) came into play.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:If you're posting anonymously, you should just say what your GPA is, since top 10% to top 25% is a big range. The closer you are to a 3.5, the less good a S&C bid is going to do you.

Sorry. Anon above. It's 15% according to the past figures/calculators. Was just wondering whether being above 3.6 (which I am not) is some sort of cutoff generally, separate from the rough figures we have.
I had a 3.54 going through OGI (class of 2012) and I can tell you that I performed significantly poorer with firms in the S&C (NY), Covington (DC), A&P (DC) range than my peers with 3.6+ GPAs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry. Anon above. It's 15% according to the past figures/calculators. Was just wondering whether being above 3.6 (which I am not) is some sort of cutoff generally, separate from the rough figures we have.
I had a 3.54 going through OGI (class of 2012) and I can tell you that I performed significantly poorer with firms in the S&C (NY), Covington (DC), A&P (DC) range than my peers with 3.6+ GPAs.
What range of firms did end up getting CBs offers from?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:09 pm

I did quite a lot of research into NYC firms last year and was pretty successful at OGI, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I had basically the same GPA two years ago (c/o 2012) and came out with about a dozen NYC callbacks, with multiple V10. My feeling is that 3.5 to 3.6 is a significant difference in DC (and for Cravath and S&C) but really doesn't matter much for any other NYC firm.

Again, I reiterate: a dude with 3.6x should be bidding about the same as a dude with a 3.9x

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What range of firms did end up getting CBs offers from?
CBs: Several NYC V20s, one V10 and one DC V50*

Offers: the DC V50*, one V20, one V10

*I had extremely useful work experience that helped me land the DC V50

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:32 pm

3.5 from last year here. 2 v5 offers, 2 v15 offers in NYC.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry. Anon above. It's 15% according to the past figures/calculators. Was just wondering whether being above 3.6 (which I am not) is some sort of cutoff generally, separate from the rough figures we have. I seem to remember a lot of the worries from last year's thread stemming from people in my range (who didn't write on, at least) because the firms seemed to preselect the top 10% or so, and then other factors (where like the poster I quoted, I am weaker) came into play.
The difference between 3.6 and 3.58/3.59, which is top 15%, is negligible, and shouldn't dissuade you from bidding on firms. S&C might be worth a flier there if you're running out of firms on which to bid, although that would be a pretty big longshot. But it'd be the first to go if you had to squeeze anything of note.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:47 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The difference between 3.6 and 3.58/3.59, which is top 15%, is negligible, and shouldn't dissuade you from bidding on firms. S&C might be worth a flier there if you're running out of firms on which to bid, although that would be a pretty big longshot. But it'd be the first to go if you had to squeeze anything of note.
Know for a fact S&C offered someone with a 3.58 last year.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Know for a fact S&C offered someone with a 3.58 last year.
Hence why I didn't say "impossible." But 3.58 + lackluster UG/WE is a longshot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:51 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Know for a fact S&C offered someone with a 3.58 last year.
Hence why I didn't say "impossible." But 3.58 + lackluster UG/WE is a longshot.
If any firm cares about UG (and that's questionable), it would be S&C.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.5 from last year here. 2 v5 offers, 2 v15 offers in NYC.
Curious about this poster's experience as I also have a 3.5 even. Great undergrad? Work experience? Awesome interviewer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Curious about this poster's experience as I also have a 3.5 even. Great undergrad? Work experience? Awesome interviewer?
I had a 3.5 two years ago and had similar level and number of offers. Crappy undergrad, ho hum work experience, but very good interviewer.

Keep in mind there are also people with 3.4-3.5 in the class of 2012 who got nothing, or only one offer. Realize that being bad, or good, in a 20 minute interview can be the difference between getting 2-3 callbacks (and zero offers) and 15-20 callbacks (and 10+ offers). Seriously.

I'm not sure how much better the class of 2013 fared.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I've been told that I'm a good interviewer and also think I present pretty well. I also have some pretty interesting things on my resume, despite being straight through. Think Varsity Sports, TFA, UG President type stuff. But, honestly these results were not out of the ordinary for people w/ my grades in NYC who were above average interviewers.

Of my friends I can think of off the top of my head that bid heavily in NYC at top 1/4+ all of them got at least 1 v10 offer.

Seriously, for NYC a top 25% GPA qualifies you for every firms sans S&C, Cravath, Quinn, and probably Paul Weiss and Cleary.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:40 pm

I have a 3.52 GPA and interview well. I have substantial ties to DC and some ties to NYC, but I'd strongly prefer to go to DC. I have limited but relevant work experience, and I won either best memo or best brief.

1) As far as my DC bids go, since my GPA is only a bit above 3.5, should I mostly bid on the DC firms either in the 3.4-3.5 range or those in the 3.5 range but not in the top 35 average callback GPA group? On a related note, should I generally avoid firms in the top 35 average callback GPA group, or am I competitive at some of those firms?

2) I don't like NYC, but I do like the idea of having a job next summer. Would it be adequate to use about 33-40% of my bids on NYC (making sure to put 3-4 in the top 10)?

Thanks everyone!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a 3.52 GPA and interview well. I have substantial ties to DC and some ties to NYC, but I'd strongly prefer to go to DC. I have limited but relevant work experience, and I won either best memo or best brief.

1) As far as my DC bids go, since my GPA is only a bit above 3.5, should I mostly bid on the DC firms either in the 3.4-3.5 range or those in the 3.5 range but not in the top 35 average callback GPA group? On a related note, should I generally avoid firms in the top 35 average callback GPA group, or am I competitive at some of those firms?

2) I don't like NYC, but I do like the idea of having a job next summer. Would it be adequate to use about 33-40% of my bids on NYC (making sure to put 3-4 in the top 10)?

Thanks everyone!
1) If you have a 3.5 then there are only a handful of firms not worth bidding on: Cravath, Williams & Connolly, Sullivan & Cromwell (NY), Gibson (DC), Covington (DC) are the only ones I can think of, and have already been mentioned in this thread. As for the rest of the firms: go wild.

2) If you want to work in DC, don't put any NYC bids in your top 10. You're going to get enough preselects that you don't want your 1-2 (maximum) lottery interviews to be with firms you're not very interested in. If this year's OGI bid system is anything like the last few years, if you have a 3.5+ then the order of your bid list is almost irrelevant because you're not going to get many (or any) lottery interviews. And if you have a 3.5+ and that firm STILL passed on your resume, you're not going to gain much by effectively forcing that firm to sit down and talk to you for twenty minutes. Don't worry much about your bid order; just get the right firms on your list. A two-thirds DC, one-third NY approach is not a bad idea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:15 pm

RVP11 wrote:
2) If you want to work in DC, don't put any NYC bids in your top 10. You're going to get enough preselects that you don't want your 1-2 (maximum) lottery interviews to be with firms you're not very interested in. If this year's OGI bid system is anything like the last few years, if you have a 3.5+ then the order of your bid list is almost irrelevant because you're not going to get many (or any) lottery interviews. And if you have a 3.5+ and that firm STILL passed on your resume, you're not going to gain much by effectively forcing that firm to sit down and talk to you for twenty minutes. Don't worry much about your bid order; just get the right firms on your list. A two-thirds DC, one-third NY approach is not a bad idea.
Not questioning this, but confirming, I shouldn't be spending hours creating the perfect ideal order for my bidlist?

Edit: All NYC bids.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:27 pm

The better your grades are, the less the order of your bids matters. If you hit the maximum from preselects, and don't decline any, you won't even participate in the lottery at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:46 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any 2Ls or 3Ls have advice/experience with dealing with an outlier grade? Just got hit with a B- as my last grade (in an elective I liked no less) that basically dropped me from a 3.4 to a 3.3 (My transcript reads 2A-, 5B+, 1B- for context) My plan before was to bid NY and my home secondary market, so I guess that doesn't change, though I'm still kind of reeling from it.
I am in a similar situation and may reach out to the professor to see what happened. My approach to exams was the same for all of my classes and my grades for all the others were very consistent with each other. I really don't want to even meet with this professor since I found him really irritating all semester. He also mentioned in class that he has no formal grading checklist / point system.

Is an interviewer likely to ask about an outlier grade if the student is a VLR grade-on? If a question does come up, I doubt that the best way to handle it is to go into specifics about the exam / professor / class and rather just be upbeat about it and say that you met with the professor and realized that he was looking for X and you focused on Y or something like that.

Thanks again to all the 2Ls / 3Ls that are providing advice in this thread!
It's possible both of you will get asked about the outlier grade, though unlikely (more unlikely for a VLR grade on). If your grades are 3.7+, nobody is going to care that you got a B in International Law or Property or whatever. I guess it's more likely for the first person, but it's safe to say if you do get asked about it, it probably won't be by a majority of firms.

The bolded is probably the best way to go about it.
First anon with outlier grade here. Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm gonna gently try to get in touch with the prof Monday to hopefully get at least some sense of what happened so I'll be ready for it in interviews if asked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Thoughts:

Here is how my thought process broke down last year. I had a 3.59 and I knew I wasn't competitive at some of the top firms. I immediately knocked Williams, Cravath, and S and C off my list. But by the time you actually rank all the bids you really want and think you're competitive for, you still have slots left in a lot of cases. Thus, I ended up bidding some firms that were out of my reach at like 50 and indeed they did not pre-select me. If I were you I'd try to be a little safer at the top, but 50 bids is just way too many to use intelligently with a 20 interview cap.

I also remember that I hit the interview cap after pre-select fairly quickly and thus didn't have a lot of luck in the lottery because I wasn't allowed to participate. However, I picked up interviews outside the lottery and outside pre-select. I think, and maybe others want to comment, that the cap meant some top firms ended up getting turned down by pre-selects and thus had to fill their spots with people they didn't pre-select the first time. Depending on the firm, there are only so many 3.4+ or 3.5+ people in the class love. Career Services will throw you in there. I was thrown in with some firms I didn't really want to interview with because, for them to come back this year, UVa had to fill those seats. Bottom Line: you're always alive, sometimes just by blind luck.

I'm also thinking the "DC is death" thing may have been a little overblown last year. Other will have better insight. I had one DC screener and I converted it into an offer, I had 20 NYC screeners and ended up with 2 offers. Obviously that data is near useless, but there it is. Combine it with other data, make a graph, I don't care. My inference is also based on talking to other people.

In the end, OGI is a crazy and random process. I met some cool people and experienced some weird interview stories. Some things you just can't control for - like getting interviewed after lunch when the person is sleepy. I thought I totally nailed one interview with a firm I really wanted and it didn't pan out. Keep your head up, enjoy the delicious food, and realize that there is usually a little bit of reason to the interview. For instance, I didn't click with a lot of people during my callbacks. What did that tell me? Well, maybe this place isn't for me. No hard feelings. It's not always you, sometimes it really is them.

Schedule your shit EARLY! Several times I waited a day or two after getting a callback to schedule it, that is stupid. Schedule as soon as you can, duck out of class for 10 minutes if it's an 80 minute class that just started. As someone who was still going on callbacks in October, you do not want to go on callbacks in October. It's not only harmful to drag the process on, but it's bad for your chances of landing a job. In the beginning of callback season attorneys are excited to meet and interview you. By the end it's less exciting. You'll also burn out. On a related note - try to schedule back-to-back-to-back . . . callbacks. Spend a week in New York in September, it's fine. Flying back and forth to La Guardia twice a week sucks. You might be worried about missing class, but it's more time efficient to miss a week or two of class early on than to miss 5 classes in September and 1 in October. The travel time really adds up and going in and out ruins your flow.

Another comment is that in this next month you're going to read Chambers and Vault and make assumptions about the type of people who work at these firms and what their cultures are like. Who they are, what the personality is like, what the quality of life is like. Your assumptions will be wrong. It's not your fault, and it's not that you shouldn't do it. It's just that it's hard to access that information from where you sit and learning about firms is not that simple. Different offices and groups will have different personalities. I was lucky enough to go on a callback at a firm very near the top of my list, and everyone there was weird. I knew as soon as I left that I would never set foot in that office. I ended up taking an offer at a firm that was barely on my radar coming in. Now that I'm at the firm it is indeed what I was looking for, but there was no way for me to know that beforehand.

Also, I found career services to helpful but sometimes they're prone to "yeah, go ahead, shoot for it." If you have good but not great grades, below a 3.6 or so, don't interview with Sull Crom just because some guy 3 years ago landed an offer there. If you have a 3.31 don't bid on Skadden NYC because some chick, who did private equity for KKR for 7 years before going to law school, went to UVa then summered for them. Sure, it might happen, but try to play smart. Sometime I feel like CSO is telling me I could be the exception to the rule, but I'm probably not. This goes triple if you came straight through from undergrad and don't have cool WE.

./End Ramblings

Apologies for my likely useless and unedited post.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Question about the warnings against bidding multiple cities. I am interested in a three different secondary markets (all of which I have ties/compelling stories to wanting to be there). All of the best firms from these markets come to OGI. I am planning on bidding the top couple of firms from the three markets pretty high and then fill the rest out with NYC firms. Is this a bad idea, even if I just targeting a few firms in certain markets and then apply about half NYC? Why is this a bad idea? I have a 3.614 if that matters.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts:

Here is how my thought process broke down last year. I had a 3.59 and I knew I wasn't competitive at some of the top firms. I immediately knocked Williams, Cravath, and S and C off my list. But by the time you actually rank all the bids you really want and think you're competitive for, you still have slots left in a lot of cases. Thus, I ended up bidding some firms that were out of my reach at like 50 and indeed they did not pre-select me. If I were you I'd try to be a little safer at the top, but 50 bids is just way too many to use intelligently with a 20 interview cap.

I also remember that I hit the interview cap after pre-select fairly quickly and thus didn't have a lot of luck in the lottery because I wasn't allowed to participate. However, I picked up interviews outside the lottery and outside pre-select. I think, and maybe others want to comment, that the cap meant some top firms ended up getting turned down by pre-selects and thus had to fill their spots with people they didn't pre-select the first time. Depending on the firm, there are only so many 3.4+ or 3.5+ people in the class love. Career Services will throw you in there. I was thrown in with some firms I didn't really want to interview with because, for them to come back this year, UVa had to fill those seats. Bottom Line: you're always alive, sometimes just by blind luck.

I'm also thinking the "DC is death" thing may have been a little overblown last year. Other will have better insight. I had one DC screener and I converted it into an offer, I had 20 NYC screeners and ended up with 2 offers. Obviously that data is near useless, but there it is. Combine it with other data, make a graph, I don't care. My inference is also based on talking to other people.

In the end, OGI is a crazy and random process. I met some cool people and experienced some weird interview stories. Some things you just can't control for - like getting interviewed after lunch when the person is sleepy. I thought I totally nailed one interview with a firm I really wanted and it didn't pan out. Keep your head up, enjoy the delicious food, and realize that there is usually a little bit of reason to the interview. For instance, I didn't click with a lot of people during my callbacks. What did that tell me? Well, maybe this place isn't for me. No hard feelings. It's not always you, sometimes it really is them.

Schedule your shit EARLY! Several times I waited a day or two after getting a callback to schedule it, that is stupid. Schedule as soon as you can, duck out of class for 10 minutes if it's an 80 minute class that just started. As someone who was still going on callbacks in October, you do not want to go on callbacks in October. It's not only harmful to drag the process on, but it's bad for your chances of landing a job. In the beginning of callback season attorneys are excited to meet and interview you. By the end it's less exciting. You'll also burn out. On a related note - try to schedule back-to-back-to-back . . . callbacks. Spend a week in New York in September, it's fine. Flying back and forth to La Guardia twice a week sucks. You might be worried about missing class, but it's more time efficient to miss a week or two of class early on than to miss 5 classes in September and 1 in October. The travel time really adds up and going in and out ruins your flow.

Another comment is that in this next month you're going to read Chambers and Vault and make assumptions about the type of people who work at these firms and what their cultures are like. Who they are, what the personality is like, what the quality of life is like. Your assumptions will be wrong. It's not your fault, and it's not that you shouldn't do it. It's just that it's hard to access that information from where you sit and learning about firms is not that simple. Different offices and groups will have different personalities. I was lucky enough to go on a callback at a firm very near the top of my list, and everyone there was weird. I knew as soon as I left that I would never set foot in that office. I ended up taking an offer at a firm that was barely on my radar coming in. Now that I'm at the firm it is indeed what I was looking for, but there was no way for me to know that beforehand.

Also, I found career services to helpful but sometimes they're prone to "yeah, go ahead, shoot for it." If you have good but not great grades, below a 3.6 or so, don't interview with Sull Crom just because some guy 3 years ago landed an offer there. If you have a 3.31 don't bid on Skadden NYC because some chick, who did private equity for KKR for 7 years before going to law school, went to UVa then summered for them. Sure, it might happen, but try to play smart. Sometime I feel like CSO is telling me I could be the exception to the rule, but I'm probably not. This goes triple if you came straight through from undergrad and don't have cool WE.

./End Ramblings

Apologies for my likely useless and unedited post.
Thanks, good stuff

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”