Where do I stand at Penn? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Where do I stand at Penn?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:05 am

-
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote: [deleted before someone quotes]
Don't quite understand how Internet works either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:06 am

OP has what would be, if GPAs were calculated, a 3.25. That's slightly below the median, actually, on a 3.3 scale -- which is what Penn essentially uses -- they just don't publish it. Actually, they use there own numerical system, but it works out near identically math-wise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do they just use an LSAC type scale and plug everything in?
A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
and so on?
Is this grading scale somewhat accurate for Penn? Is 3.3 median?
Yes.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Median is between B+B+B+B+ B+B+B+B+ and B+B+B+B+ B+B+B+B OP has the equivalent of A-B+B+B+ B+B+B+B+
I didn't know 3Ls served as Dean of Registrar.
Will you please unquote that brah.
Don't take requests from unnecessary anons. Also you are worng anyway so no point to unquote it. Plus they don't know who you are.

Like I said supra . . .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Is this grading scale somewhat accurate for Penn? Is 3.3 median?
Yes no

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP has what would be, if GPAs were calculated, a 3.25. That's slightly below the median, actually, on a 3.3 scale -- which is what Penn essentially uses -- they just don't publish it. Actually, they use there own numerical system, but it works out near identically math-wise.
You also don't know. Stop posting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 am

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Median is between B+B+B+B+ B+B+B+B+ and B+B+B+B+ B+B+B+B OP has the equivalent of A-B+B+B+ B+B+B+B+
I didn't know 3Ls served as Dean of Registrar.
That's not what the OP has, and short of GC actually coming on here and disclosing the grading system, 3Ls are as good as it gets.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote: 3Ls are as good as it gets.
Why?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:09 am

[/quote]

Will you please unquote that brah.[/quote]

Don't take requests from unnecessary anons. Also you are worng anyway so no point to unquote it. Plus they don't know who you are.

Like I said supra . . .[/quote]

Look, I'm not the guy you were arguing with man. But thats kind a douche move.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Much less than saying this anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:11 am

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP has what would be, if GPAs were calculated, a 3.25. That's slightly below the median, actually, on a 3.3 scale -- which is what Penn essentially uses -- they just don't publish it. Actually, they use there own numerical system, but it works out near identically math-wise.
You also don't know. Stop posting.
I know that on a B+ curve, the OP, with credit hour differentials included, has grades that average out to slightly lower than a B+.

Anonymous User

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Much less than arguing about GPA anon.
People argue about GPA anon because this is the uber secret of Penn and no one wants to get outed to their sources.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

r6_philly wrote:
Why?
Because the administration doesn't come on TLS.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote: I know that on a B+ curve, the OP, with credit hour differentials included, has grades that average out to slightly lower than a B+.
But it's not a "B+ curve." There is a curve guideline but it's not followed strictly in every class in every section because A+ and C are discretionary, and people don't get the same grade in every class, class distribution does not follow per class distribution, even aggregated, precisely.
Last edited by r6_philly on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Why?
But why are 3Ls more credible than 2Ls? Upper classes are not curved the same way, we all have the same 1L classes, I don't see how 3Ls are anymore credible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Much less than arguing about GPA anon.
People argue about GPA anon because this is the uber secret of Penn and no one wants to get outed to their sources.
I just don't want people to know that I go to Penn, because that would, combined with my prior posts, likely out me. I have relevant information so I decided to post it. I'm not sure why it's so controversial. I know, from experience, that Penn curves to a B+, I've looked at the grade distributions and confirmed that professors all curve to a B+ for 1L classes, and I've calculated OP's weighted GPA and noted that it comes to less than a B+ average.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:16 am

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Why?
But why are 3Ls more credible than 2Ls? Upper classes are not curved the same way, we all have the same 1L classes, I don't see how 3Ls are anymore credible.
We aren't, necessarily. I just said that 3Ls are as good as it gets (on TLS), not that 2Ls can't also be as good as it gets provided they have knowledge of Penn's grading system. As I said prior, this isn't rocket science here. We're calculating that OP is no higher than median on a B+ curve -- they have a B- and a B in four credit courses for chrisakes.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pate

Bronze

Post by Pate » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:16 am

Speaking of A+, has anyone here received an A+, or a grade lower than a B? Curious.
Last edited by Pate on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I just don't want people to know that I go to Penn, because that would, combined with my prior posts, likely out me. I have relevant information so I decided to post it. I'm not sure why it's so controversial. I know, from experience, that Penn curves to a B+, I've looked at the grade distributions and confirmed that professors all curve to a B+ for 1L classes, and I've calculated OP's weighted GPA and noted that it comes to less than a B+ average.
But grade distribution does not work that way. It works that way per individual class, but not for the entire 1L class. There are too many moving parts because people don't perform the same across all classes (read above). That's why the median region is packed and there is regression to the mean.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
We aren't, necessarily. I just said that 3Ls are as good as it gets (on TLS), not that 2Ls can't also be as good as it gets provided they have knowledge of Penn's grading system.
But most of these "knowledge" are not correct.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:18 am

Pate wrote:Speaking of A+, has anyone here received an A+, or a grade lower than a B? Curious.
They give out A+ and C, yes. Not every class. And when they give out, not necessarily just one or two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:18 am

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
But grade distribution does not work that way. It works that way per individual class, but not for the entire 1L class. There are too many moving parts because people don't perform the same across all classes (read above). That's why the median region is packed and there is regression to the mean.
If it works that way for every 1L class (it does), then it works that way for the entire 1L class.

Actually, electives are graded I believe a bit higher than the standard curve, which moves it slightly higher than a B+ -- further lending to the fact OP is median/below median.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:We're calculating that OP is no higher than median on a B+ curve -- they have a B- and a B in four credit courses for chrisakes.
The "B+" curve is an approximation, so I don't want someone to come up here and say definitively, "yes XXX is above/below" the median, because that statement may be off like 15 percentage points depending on what the real median.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
If it works that way for every 1L class (it does), then it works that way for the entire 1L class.
I take it you don't understand distribution.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”