Where do I stand at Penn? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where do I stand at Penn?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:28 pm

Rising 2L here. My grades are: A-, B+, B+, B- for the first semester and A-, A-, B+, B for the 2nd semester -- though the two A-s in the second semester were electives and 3 unit instead of 4 unit classes. I think I'm almost right exactly at median? Just want to confirm.

Anonymous User

Re: Where do I stand at Penn?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Same question: B+, B+, B+, A, A, A+, A-, A-

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L here. My grades are: A-, B+, B+, B- for the first semester and A-, A-, B+, B for the 2nd semester -- though the two A-s in the second semester were electives and 3 unit instead of 4 unit classes. I think I'm almost right exactly at median? Just want to confirm.
no one can confirm this but you should be slightly above

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Same question: B+, B+, B+, A, A, A+, A-, A-
And you should know better (based on your grades) than to ask or wonder. :mrgreen:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L here. My grades are: A-, B+, B+, B- for the first semester and A-, A-, B+, B for the 2nd semester -- though the two A-s in the second semester were electives and 3 unit instead of 4 unit classes. I think I'm almost right exactly at median? Just want to confirm.
Oh wow, even better (if slightly) than I suspected. Am I looking good for OCI? Also have two years of work experience with a V50.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Oh wow, even better (if slightly) than I suspected. Am I looking good for OCI? Also have two years of work experience with a V50.
On paper you should be fine. Just bid well, and use your connections. I assume if you left on good terms, and if you want to go back to the same firm, you are in great shape. I'd just have a good answer for that one B- in case anyone asks. Honestly, you stand better than your GPA, because it's getting dragged down by that one B-. And you have relevant work experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
On paper you should be fine. Just bid well, and use your connections. I assume if you left on good terms, and if you want to go back to the same firm, you are in great shape. I'd just have a good answer for that one B- in case anyone asks. Honestly, you stand better than your GPA, because it's getting dragged down by that one B-. And you have relevant work experience.
I'm still working on a good story for the B-. Think I may just say I was very sick (I did have a cold, but might inflate that into the flu?). I'm still not entirely sure what happened because it was the class I "gunned" hardest. I had Kraus and now he's gone, too, so I'm kind of bitter about it haha. I did leave on good terms with my firm though and would love to work for them, so that is on my radar. Also, what chance do you think I stand for cracking some of the tougher markets, however? Especially SF and DC.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'm still working on a good story for the B-. Think I may just say I was very sick (I did have a cold, but might inflate that into the flu?). I'm still not entirely sure what happened because it was the class I "gunned" hardest. I had Kraus and now he's gone, too, so I'm kind of bitter about it haha. I did leave on good terms with my firm though and would love to work for them, so that is on my radar. Also, what chance do you think I stand for cracking some of the tougher markets, however? Especially SF and DC.
Well, don't lie or exaggerate. Don't find excuses, find a substantive reason. They may never ask, then don't offer. If they ask about law school, talk about what you liked.

DC/SF depends on ties. Your grades give you a shot anywhere, you just have to do the heavy lifting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I'm still working on a good story for the B-. Think I may just say I was very sick (I did have a cold, but might inflate that into the flu?). I'm still not entirely sure what happened because it was the class I "gunned" hardest. I had Kraus and now he's gone, too, so I'm kind of bitter about it haha. I did leave on good terms with my firm though and would love to work for them, so that is on my radar. Also, what chance do you think I stand for cracking some of the tougher markets, however? Especially SF and DC.
Well, don't lie or exaggerate. Don't find excuses, find a substantive reason. They may never ask, then don't offer. If they ask about law school, talk about what you liked.

DC/SF depends on ties. Your grades give you a shot anywhere, you just have to do the heavy lifting.
Would it be wrong to answer (and this is the truth) that Contracts was actually my favorite class, the class I thought I *knew* the best, and the class I studied hardest/most for? But that I just really don't know what happened when test day rolled around? That is the truth, but it doesn't really offer a reason for why I sucked. In fact, it almost makes me sound helpless since I worked so hard and still got bombed like Dresden.

And is DC really tie-heavy too? I thought (have heard) it was more NY-like in that they don't care as much as say Philly, Boston, SF, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Also, any suggestions on how to structure classes for next semester? Would it maybe be smart to make it a MWF or MTW thing for OCI if possible? And any class suggestions (and professors) for a rising 2L?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, any suggestions on how to structure classes for next semester? Would it maybe be smart to make it a MWF or MTW thing for OCI if possible? And any class suggestions (and professors) for a rising 2L?
I am also rising 2L. But I plan to only be on campus for two days a week - I have other commitments. As far as classes, there are the usual hot classes like evidence and corporation, and you should choose classes base on your interest and intended practice area.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Would it be wrong to answer (and this is the truth) that Contracts was actually my favorite class, the class I thought I *knew* the best, and the class I studied hardest/most for? But that I just really don't know what happened when test day rolled around? That is the truth, but it doesn't really offer a reason for why I sucked. In fact, it almost makes me sound helpless since I worked so hard and still got bombed like Dresden.

Actually that is not bad, because it shows you didn't get a bad grade from not trying. People know the grading is to a degree arbitrary, and having a good attitude about one bad grade is probably best.
And is DC really tie-heavy too? I thought (have heard) it was more NY-like in that they don't care as much as say Philly, Boston, SF, etc.
Probably not as much as Philly but not as easy as NY. It's really in demand as always, so you need a bit more to crack. I think if you can have good personal reason and good professional reason that you can somehow back up (like if you want to do regulatory or ITC work) then you have a decent chance.

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:12 am

There were a couple of posts in the last 2 years' OCI threads that estimated the following rankings based on GPA:

3.3 = median

3.5 = top 33%

3.7 = top 10%

Not sure exactly how accurate that is, but just eye-balling it it doesn't really seem wrong and gives a good starting place to work from.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 am

Real question. Why do all these Penn posters post their grades instead of their cumulative GPA?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:19 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:Real question. Why do all these Penn posters post their grades instead of their cumulative GPA?
We don't have GPA on our transcripts, so no standard way of calculating a GPA.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:25 am

dabomb75 wrote:There were a couple of posts in the last 2 years' OCI threads that estimated the following rankings based on GPA:

3.3 = median

3.5 = top 33%

3.7 = top 10%

Not sure exactly how accurate that is, but just eye-balling it it doesn't really seem wrong and gives a good starting place to work from.
I think the median is a bit lower, but that's what I think. I also think the middle 20-25% is probably within 0.1, so finding a median is probably not all that helpful. The individual grades may actually be more important for people with the usual spread of A- to B grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:27 am

r6_philly wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:Real question. Why do all these Penn posters post their grades instead of their cumulative GPA?
Since that is the case.

A+ Law Review (your Gulfstream awaits you at the airport)
A Maybe Law Review (in any case your limo is ready)
A- They will love me at OCI. For sure!
B+ They will like me at OCI. Correct?
B B=Good, good is good, right?
B- I go to Penn, let me repeat that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 am

r6_philly wrote:
Can't you just use a GPA calculator? Or they don't even tell you which classes are worth certain credits etc?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A+ Law Review (your Gulfstream awaits you at the airport)
A Maybe Law Review (in any case your limo is ready)
A- They will love me at OCI. For sure!
B+ They will like me at OCI. Correct?
B B=Good, good is good, right?
B- I go to Penn, let me repeat that.
C = let me post this anon

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:29 am

ajaxconstructions wrote: Can't you just use a GPA calculator? Or they don't even tell you which classes are worth certain credits etc?
Yes, but different calculators gives different numerical values. Remember LSAT gives 4.33 to a A+ but your school doesn't?

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:31 am

r6_philly wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote: Can't you just use a GPA calculator? Or they don't even tell you which classes are worth certain credits etc?
Yes, but different calculators gives different numerical values. Remember LSAT gives 4.33 to a A+ but your school doesn't?
What's the point of this system?!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:35 am

ajaxconstructions wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
What's the point of this system?!
Because Penn likes to think grades don't exist so that "everyone gets a shot at everything" even though this clearly isn't the case.

Although I will say that they are surprisingly good at keeping what the median exactly is on lockdown to the point where I don't know anyone who can say for sure what it is. So that probably actually does help those who are +/- 10% of median have a fighter's chance at jobs that wouldn't consider them if they were knew for a fact the student was below median.

Still, it's annoying not know even around what % you are in the class

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:44 am

Explain please.

Since law review is said to be in some way connected to the top 10%, how do they know who is in the top 10% (it might be top 15/20% but the same “how do they know” question remains).

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Explain please.

Since law review is said to be in some way connected to the top 10%, how do they know who is in the top 10% (it might be top 15/20% but the same “how do they know” question remains).
Not at Penn because that's not how we select law review.

Also, there is of course a rank list, it's just not public. Law review can get the dean to select the grade-on list. But since more people get on through other ways, law review does not reveal rank, especially when you don't know how you got on anyway.

And stop posting anon.
Last edited by r6_philly on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 am

What you noted above is likely correct. Probably good grades for some and good writing for others.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”