3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Does anyone know what kinds of questions Massachusetts asks during the interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:38 pm

1) Do any individual Virginia offices hire pre-bar?

2) How competitive are Maryland OPD pre-bar positions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Colorado is doing calls for more interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Is there any hope for a 1L who wants PDS in DC, or should I not even try?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Anyone get a CO offer yet (and willing to identify yourself)? Anyone accept a CO offer or know of someone who’s been placed in the last couple of years? Hoping to chat with someone about this mysterious placement process. Curious to know how many people really have to wait near a whole year after graduating to start working.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:15 am

Is there any hope for a 1L who wants PDS in DC, or should I not even try?
While I would by no means put all of your eggs in the PDS basket, there is always hope. Someone awhile back posted something on here about how no one will get hired at PDS, but I have a different opinion. Talking to someone that works fairly high up there, she said that everyone truly has a shot. PDS seems to have this reputation for being prestige whores, but I really don't find that to be true. They have hired many people that went to non-T14 schools that also didn't have some other amazing attribute or story (ex. was personally abused by the justice system). Just keep in mind that they are federally funded which is wonderful but also means they are subject to hiring freezes (like this year).

As a 3L going through the post-grad hiring process now, the biggest piece of advice I would give is to cast your net wide. I have found it really difficult to predict which offices will or will not like me. Some offices I thought I had no chance at have given me final interviews and some offices I thought I had a good shot at turned me down. Just be open to lots of possibilities, don't take yourself too seriously, and remember that you're here because you love the work. Frankly, I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to calm down and stop worrying about which office I'd end up at. Personally, I have found that if you get solid PD experience, have a passion for the work, and are geographically flexible, you will end up in a competent office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:32 am

Can anyone who has done the Maryland OPD final panel shed some light on what kind of questions are asked? Is there a scenario?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get a CO offer yet (and willing to identify yourself)? Anyone accept a CO offer or know of someone who’s been placed in the last couple of years? Hoping to chat with someone about this mysterious placement process. Curious to know how many people really have to wait near a whole year after graduating to start working.
Current Colorado PD. Started in November of 2016 (graduated May 2016). Most people won't have to wait an entire year. Generally you start either right after the bar in early August or shortly after bar results come out. You can indicate which you prefer, and they try to follow that request.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Salary Question
It might be helpful to consider salaries at different offices that hire prebar.

Palm Beach (40's) after bar passage
Orlando (40's) after bar passage
Colorado approximately 60 after bar passage

A lot of offices will pay you slightly less if you start before bar results come out but will increase your pay after you receive your results.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hahayahah

New

Post by hahayahah » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) Do any individual Virginia offices hire pre-bar?
To my knowledge, no. I have heard of multiple people who were interning before the bar getting informal promises to be hired upon passing in some of the bigger cities, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:47 pm

Some Miami offers went out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:15 am

Got an offer from Miami yesterday! :D Planning on accepting next week, will be pulling out of BDS and Philly. Good luck all!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer from Miami yesterday! :D Planning on accepting next week, will be pulling out of BDS and Philly. Good luck all!
Congrats!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:11 pm

Has anyone who interviewed with Fed Defenders of San Diego at EJW heard anything back or had a second round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who interviewed with Fed Defenders of San Diego at EJW heard anything back or had a second round?
I had a great interview with them and I haven't heard, but I had a friend last year who e-mailed the woman they said to e-mail McKenzie and pretty quickly got an interview set up

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who interviewed with Fed Defenders of San Diego at EJW heard anything back or had a second round?
I had a great interview with them and I haven't heard, but I had a friend last year who e-mailed the woman they said to e-mail McKenzie and pretty quickly got an interview set up
Thanks! Happy holidays pd-ers!

TXTOCO89

New

Post by TXTOCO89 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone get a CO offer yet (and willing to identify yourself)? Anyone accept a CO offer or know of someone who’s been placed in the last couple of years? Hoping to chat with someone about this mysterious placement process. Curious to know how many people really have to wait near a whole year after graduating to start working.
Current Colorado PD. Started in November of 2016 (graduated May 2016). Most people won't have to wait an entire year. Generally you start either right after the bar in early August or shortly after bar results come out. You can indicate which you prefer, and they try to follow that request.
Sent you a PM!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BattleoftheForms

New

Post by BattleoftheForms » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:41 pm

TXTOCO89 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sent you a PM!
Also going to Colorado! Just accepted! Would love to chat about it. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 pm

Any advice for Colorado round one?

BattleoftheForms

New

Post by BattleoftheForms » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice for Colorado round one?
I would say really the best thing you can do it be relaxed and be yourself. It’s not like the other PD interviews where you’ll have to answer a bunch of hypos. At least in my experience, it really felt like they were just trying to get to know me. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Does anyone know where Orleans Public Defenders and Bronx Defenders are in their hiring processes?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know where Orleans Public Defenders and Bronx Defenders are in their hiring processes?
Did the panel interview with them the first week of December. Followed up by sending the requested references the following day. No word from Bronx to me or my references since.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:17 pm

A few Bronx offers went out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Has anyone heard from Prettyman?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:18 pm

did the bx defender give out offer via phone or emai?l