3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge or insight into King County (Washington State) Department of Public Defense? TYIA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge or insight into King County (Washington State) Department of Public Defense? TYIA
I'm a current 3L who was hired there in January and will be starting in the fall. I was told that this is the first year they have hired pre-bar and so are still sorting out exactly how it is all going to work. Happy to answer more specific questions if you have them and I actually know the answer :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge or insight into King County (Washington State) Department of Public Defense? TYIA
I'm a current 3L who was hired there in January and will be starting in the fall. I was told that this is the first year they have hired pre-bar and so are still sorting out exactly how it is all going to work. Happy to answer more specific questions if you have them and I actually know the answer :)
Thanks for the reply. Can you advise what DPD might look for in an interview; what the caseload/hours are like; how they determine which division you are sent to? Is there a say in divisions, and do they do different kinds of work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. Can you advise what DPD might look for in an interview; what the caseload/hours are like; how they determine which division you are sent to? Is there a say in divisions, and do they do different kinds of work?[/quote]

Not sure exactly what they were looking for in an interview besides dedication to public defense. It was a pretty standard interview- a few questions about my background, why PD?, and why Seattle, and then there was a somewhat challenging hypo, but it seemed like they just wanted to see you think through it. The caseload is supposedly about 150 felonies/year or about 300 misdos/year. However, they said that when you start, you'll have no more than 2/3 of a normal caseload. It sounds like if you've worked for them before, they are hoping to send you back to that division, otherwise it's just where they need people. You start in either regular misdos or involuntary commitments depending on which division you're placed in. I don't know much more than that from the interview and conversation I had with them when they made the offer. DPD is still relatively new (they merged the 4 nonprofits to create it a few years ago) so it sounds like they are figuring out how it will all work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:19 pm

What was the earliest interview anyone had for full-time staff attorney gigs? I am planning to travel a bit through the first week of September of upcoming 3L year. Is this a terrible idea? I'd have cover letters/resumes together already and probably send out some applications end of August, but wouldn't be able to interview until second week of September.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous Defender

New

Post by Anonymous Defender » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What was the earliest interview anyone had for full-time staff attorney gigs? I am planning to travel a bit through the first week of September of upcoming 3L year. Is this a terrible idea? I'd have cover letters/resumes together already and probably send out some applications end of August, but wouldn't be able to interview until second week of September.
That may work. My first interview was in late July. The EJW career fair was in October. I had a few interviews in late September. Just to cover all your basis I would articulate your plans in the emails you send with your applicatins. However, I would plan to have some applications done by late July. Especially for your most desired and highly competitive organizations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Anonymous Defender wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What was the earliest interview anyone had for full-time staff attorney gigs? I am planning to travel a bit through the first week of September of upcoming 3L year. Is this a terrible idea? I'd have cover letters/resumes together already and probably send out some applications end of August, but wouldn't be able to interview until second week of September.
That may work. My first interview was in late July. The EJW career fair was in October. I had a few interviews in late September. Just to cover all your basis I would articulate your plans in the emails you send with your applicatins. However, I would plan to have some applications done by late July. Especially for your most desired and highly competitive organizations.
Thank you for the advice. So not a red flag that I should cancel travel plans? Figuring this is the last time I'll have 3 weeks to backpack...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous Defender wrote:
Thank you for the advice. So not a red flag that I should cancel travel plans? Figuring this is the last time I'll have 3 weeks to backpack...
I think if you are upfront about it, (not in your cover letter, obviously. But in the initial email perhaps) I think you should be fine. Most places don't force a date on you. Most places give you a range of dates to chose from. The only concern is Legal Aid. They tell you when you interview and if you don't make it, they push you to the back of the line. But I think they ask what dates are good for you before they give you a date.

Have fun! and start looking early!

Ric Flair

New

Post by Ric Flair » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Have they given you a start date? I only ask because I'm another 3L hire.

Also congratulations!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Philly is canvassing for more applicants for its fall class. I got an email yesterday asking whether I was still interested, and if so, when I could come in for an interview.

I applied way back in early November, hadn't heard a peep, and saw friends go in for fall 2016 panels, so I assumed they were passing me over. Weird.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Ric Flair wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also congratulations!
Nope! Still waiting on that. Congrats to you too, and looking forward to meeting you soon!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Ric Flair wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also congratulations!
Nope! Still waiting on that. Congrats to you too, and looking forward to meeting you soon!
How long did the process take? I just recently contacted the office, haven't heard back yet. Fingers crossed they're still hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ric Flair wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also congratulations!
How long did the process take? I just recently contacted the office, haven't heard back yet. Fingers crossed they're still hiring.
It was about 3 months from when I sent my application to when I had my interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Regarding Los Angeles County PD: I had a second round interview on March 1, does anyone know if and when third round interviews were scheduled or already concluded? Should I not expect too much because third rounds and offers were already made and they are done hiring for this cycle? This is my dream job so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping against hope.
I'm in the same position as you (except my 2nd interview was march 16). Hoping against hope myself. I do have a little information if you'd like to talk...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Hello,

Anyone have any information on Portland Public defense agencies? Metropolitan Public Defender Services or Multnomah Defenders?

Other than Portland and Seattle agencies, anyone have any experience with the PNW?

Thanks

Whyjd

New

Post by Whyjd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello,

Anyone have any information on Portland Public defense agencies? Metropolitan Public Defender Services or Multnomah Defenders?

Other than Portland and Seattle agencies, anyone have any experience with the PNW?

Thanks
What about Alaska? The pay isn't bad, and the work tends to be interesting. If you're around anchorage, you're a quick flight to Seattle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:51 pm

[/quote]
What about Alaska? The pay isn't bad, and the work tends to be interesting. If you're around anchorage, you're a quick flight to Seattle.[/quote]

I am going to push back on this a bit. It's $250.00 (one way) and 3 1/2 hours to Seattle. I think you would have to like Alaska to move there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Whyjd

New

Post by Whyjd » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What about Alaska? The pay isn't bad, and the work tends to be interesting. If you're around anchorage, you're a quick flight to Seattle.[/quote]

I am going to push back on this a bit. It's $250.00 (one way) and 3 1/2 hours to Seattle. I think you would have to like Alaska to move there.[/quote]

Ok. It is a bit farther than I thought to Anchorage. But, its only 2 hours to parts. And I'm finding round trip for $250. I think that parts of Alaska have a similar climate to Seattle. Plus, there's a connection between the two.

I guess my point was more "consider Alaska, you might like it".

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Regarding Los Angeles County PD: I had a second round interview on March 1, does anyone know if and when third round interviews were scheduled or already concluded? Should I not expect too much because third rounds and offers were already made and they are done hiring for this cycle? This is my dream job so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping against hope.
I'm in the same position as you (except my 2nd interview was march 16). Hoping against hope myself. I do have a little information if you'd like to talk...
Yes, please any information would be helpful.

zealousdefender

New

Post by zealousdefender » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, please tell us what you know. I have been waiting since January.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:59 pm

zealousdefender wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ric Flair wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also congratulations!

I think they finished hiring a while ago. Most people applied this fall and winter and they made decisions by the end of march. They might need to fill spots again in the fall and winter once the advance hires are all placed, so if you are still interested in the fall you should reach out after passing the wa bar. This is the first year they have hired pre bar and they are contractually limited in the numbers of advanced spots they can offer. The need is likely greater than that number. Most of the early hires are former or current interns or others with some connection to the office.

That being said, there are many other counties near Seattle/king co that hire quickly post bar such as pierce co and snohomish co. I know many happy recent grad public defenders at both offices. Also I have heard good things about starting in smaller counties such as island county. If you are interested in working as a pd in the Seattle area and missed the advanced hiring at king co you should definitely look into the neighboring counties. Many (most) of the king co pds got their start elsewhere.

zealousdefender

New

Post by zealousdefender » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zealousdefender wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, please tell us what you know. I have been waiting since January.
Email me
Ok. I will be using my youtube gmail account. Sending you an email now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ric Flair wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also congratulations!

I think they finished hiring a while ago. Most people applied this fall and winter and they made decisions by the end of march. They might need to fill spots again in the fall and winter once the advance hires are all placed, so if you are still interested in the fall you should reach out after passing the wa bar. This is the first year they have hired pre bar and they are contractually limited in the numbers of advanced spots they can offer. The need is likely greater than that number. Most of the early hires are former or current interns or others with some connection to the office.

That being said, there are many other counties near Seattle/king co that hire quickly post bar such as pierce co and snohomish co. I know many happy recent grad public defenders at both offices. Also I have heard good things about starting in smaller counties such as island county. If you are interested in working as a pd in the Seattle area and missed the advanced hiring at king co you should definitely look into the neighboring counties. Many (most) of the king co pds got their start elsewhere.
Solid advice, thanks. I heard that king might have some opening again soon, so I'll keep looking. The smaller counties are also a good idea. I haven't lived in the area since I was a kid, so it's hard to know what's good and what's not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Did anybody hear from LAS or BDS this week before the NY Bar deadline? I know the classes are supposed to be small but not hearing before the deadline surprises me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”