3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi everyone, a heads up for '17 grads still looking that the National Juvenile Defender Center, a non-profit in DC that works to promote justice for children by ensuring excellence in juvenile defense, is hiring a two-year Gault Fellow to start this fall. They are particularly interested in applicants who have interest and experience in juvenile or criminal defense. More information about fellowship is available here: http://njdc.info/wp-content/uploads/201 ... cement.pdf

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i heard there is a hiring freeze ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anonymous User wrote:WHAT
IS
GOING
ON,
DEAR
LEGAL
AID
SOCIETY?!!

Anyone has gotten a no yet? They said they would let those who had final interview know either way, yeah?
Just figured I'd check one more time. Has anyone gotten an offer, or is the hiring freeze still in effect?

I was hoping this uncertainty would be gone - for better or worse - this close to the bar. No such luck :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:49 pm

For those still interested, LAS said they will give offers by next week. Keep hope alive!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those still interested, LAS said they will give offers by next week. Keep hope alive!
FINALLY! Although it might only be like 5 offers or so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those still interested, LAS said they will give offers by next week. Keep hope alive!
SOOooooOOo, did anyone get an offer this week?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SOOooooOOo, did anyone get an offer this week?
Nothing here!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi.

Checking in re LAS.

Any offers after their email saying they were hoping to make offers last week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi.

Checking in re LAS.

Not here!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Checking in re LAS.

Not here!
I've through double hearsay that they just decided to make a few (single digits) offers. This was around the time the letters went out. They are trying to make the offers "soon." In LAS time, that can still be several weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think new 3Ls are able to now post here. Does anyone have a list of offices that start interviewing pretty early and should be applied to during 2L summer?
YES! great to start early! Fior the usual top targets it is best to start early: The Bronx Defenders, Neighborhood Defenders of Harlem, PDS, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Prettyman, and all of your other dream jobs. You also cannot forget about others like N.J., N.H. Colorado, Baltimore, LAS, Miami, etc.. Also, go to the EJW career fair website and try to get an idea of who will be there this year. Do not wait until EJW to apply to them; apply early and directly to them. Then when EJW roles around try to secure in person interviews there. Finally, and most importantly, find out why you want to apply to each of these locations. What do you plan to accomplish? What is about that jurisdiction that attracts you? Please figure it out soon because very very soon the flood of applications will start and you do not want to get lost in the avalanche.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Checking in re LAS.

Not here!
I've through double hearsay that they just decided to make a few (single digits) offers. This was around the time the letters went out. They are trying to make the offers "soon." In LAS time, that can still be several weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Sorry all, brand new to this thread. Hoping I could get some insight about applying for an attorney position with DC PDS. Background: I graduated in May and accepted a position in my hometown Public Defender where I will begin in a few weeks, so long as I passed the bar.

Having said that, the office I'll be in is a small, midwestern operation, which is totally fine, but I'd really like to compete for a job at a place like DC PDS. I saw a tweet a couple days ago saying DC PDS is now accepting applications for fall 2018, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to compete for one of these positions or if they exclusively hire 3Ls. Any insight regarding whether a PD with approximately 1 year of experience can compete for an entry level attorney position at DC PDS would be greatly appreciated.

Second, I've heard that DC PDS essentially wants public defense purists and that I should omit any DOJ/DA experience I have from my resume. Can anyone vouch for whether that's accurate? I'd like to think I could effectively show a commitment to public defense while still including my DOJ and DA internships, but if those experiences would be viewed negatively, I can leave them off.

Advanced thanks for any insight you might have on either of these two issues.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry all, brand new to this thread. Hoping I could get some insight about applying for an attorney position with DC PDS. Background: I graduated in May and accepted a position in my hometown Public Defender where I will begin in a few weeks, so long as I passed the bar.

Having said that, the office I'll be in is a small, midwestern operation, which is totally fine, but I'd really like to compete for a job at a place like DC PDS. I saw a tweet a couple days ago saying DC PDS is now accepting applications for fall 2018, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to compete for one of these positions or if they exclusively hire 3Ls. Any insight regarding whether a PD with approximately 1 year of experience can compete for an entry level attorney position at DC PDS would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've heard that DC PDS essentially wants public defense purists and that I should omit any DOJ/DA experience I have from my resume. Can anyone vouch for whether that's accurate? I'd like to think I could effectively show a commitment to public defense while still including my DOJ and DA office internships, but if those experiences would be viewed negatively, I can leave them off.

If you leave out the experience, how would you explain the gaps?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry all, brand new to this thread. Hoping I could get some insight about applying for an attorney position with DC PDS. Background: I graduated in May and accepted a position in my hometown Public Defender where I will begin in a few weeks, so long as I passed the bar.

Also, I've heard that DC PDS essentially wants public defense purists and that I should omit any DOJ/DA experience I have from my resume. Can anyone vouch for whether that's accurate? I'd like to think I could effectively show a commitment to public defense while still including my DOJ and DA office internships, but if those experiences would be viewed negatively, I can leave them off.

Unequivocally a concern of mine I had already been thinking of. Not sure I have a very good answer as of yet. Even if I leave off a DOJ and DA internship, I also did a clinic, interned in a PD's office, was a research assistant for a professor, and clerked at an immigration firm, but you're still right -- it'd be hard to explain why it my resume doesn't show what I did in the summer leading up to my 3L year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Unequivocally a concern of mine I had already been thinking of. Not sure I have a very good answer as of yet. Even if I leave off a DOJ and DA internship, I also did a clinic, interned in a PD's office, was a research assistant for a professor, and clerked at an immigration firm, but you're still right -- it'd be hard to explain why it my resume doesn't show what I did in the summer leading up to my 3L year.
Yes, that is a tough one. My gut tells me to steer into the skid mainly because you don't want to get caught lying. So I would be prepared to say what you learned from that, and what you saw in those jobs that made you not want to go back. You would have to walk a fine line between classy/confidentiality and passion. This is a tough situation, but I think you'll have an advantage considering that you'll have one year of experience in a PD office. By then hopefully you'll have some solid examples that show you are really a PD rather than a person looking for the hottest opportunity for yourself. I would certainly ask around. The more feedback the better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, that is a tough one. My gut tells me to steer into the skid mainly because you don't want to get caught lying. So I would be prepared to say what you learned from that, and what you saw in those jobs that made you not want to go back. You would have to walk a fine line between classy/confidentiality and passion. This is a tough situation, but I think you'll have an advantage considering that you'll have one year of experience in a PD office. By then hopefully you'll have some solid examples that show you are really a PD rather than a person looking for the hottest opportunity for yourself. I would certainly ask around. The more feedback the better.
This makes total sense. I appreciate your insight, many thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Any news from LAS, and what were these letters that went out?
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Checking in re LAS.

Not here!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from LAS, and what were these letters that went out?
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Checking in re LAS.

Not here!
I also want to know what's up with LAS. I wonder if the few who got a job are just not posting on here. lol.
I believe the letters are the one email that went out about three weeks ago saying they were hoping to make offers soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news from LAS, and what were these letters that went out?
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Checking in re LAS.

Not here!
I also want to know what's up with LAS. I wonder if the few who got a job are just not posting on here. lol.
I believe the letters are the one email that went out about three weeks ago saying they were hoping to make offers soon.
I didn't receive an email three weeks ago, but I emailed last week to ask for an update. I was told I was still in the running, and final decisions hadn't been made. :-/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Checking in re LAS.

Not here!
Hmm, who was this email from? Last I heard, I was still under consideration, but I did not receive this update. Guessing a ding is forthcoming.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:54 am

deleted

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Checking in re LAS.

Not here!
Hmm, who was this email from? Last I heard, I was still under consideration, but I did not receive this update. Guessing a ding is forthcoming.
First time posting, but I've been following this thread and in the same boat as the rest of the LAS folks. I spoke with a CDP Staff Attorney today, and they also heard there was a hiring freeze, but someone they went to law school with received an offer last week. This person has been practicing for a while now, so I'm assuming their friend from law school is not a recent a grad. Maybe the hiring freeze only applies to recent grads?

Anyways, the Fall CDP class doesn't start until October, so maybe they are just really taking their time. I reached out a couple weeks ago and was told the same thing as everyone else - still under consideration and no final determinations had been made.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Checking in re LAS.

Not here!
First time posting, but I've been following this thread and in the same boat as the rest of the LAS folks. I spoke with a CDP Staff Attorney today, and they also heard there was a hiring freeze, but someone they went to law school with received an offer last week. This person has been practicing for a while now, so I'm assuming their friend from law school is not a recent a grad. Maybe the hiring freeze only applies to recent grads?

Anyways, the Fall CDP class doesn't start until October, so maybe they are just really taking their time. I reached out a couple weeks ago and was told the same thing as everyone else - still under consideration and no final determinations had been made.
Don't mean to be a broken record, but has anyone heard anything from LAS at all since the last post?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Checking in re LAS.

Not here!

Don't mean to be a broken record, but has anyone heard anything from LAS at all since the last post?
I haven't heard from LAS and would also like to know if anyone has gotten an update.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Does anybody know anything at all about PD offices in GA? It appears that they hire by county as opposed to state-wide, and that they don't necessarily hire "classes," but just hire as needed? Interested to know if people know anything about their training programs or lack thereof? Is there an established training program like PDS, Maryland, etc., or is it pretty much just get out there and get to it? Salary in comparison to the "average" PD salary? I know the GA offices don't carry the buzz that most of the offices frequently discussed on this thread do, but any information is appreciated. Are they good offices, or not basically lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”