3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
RCSOB657

Gold

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:28 am

http://www.gapubdef.org/

Everything you just asked can be answered at the above website.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:14 pm

I heard LAS made 3 offers. I am not sure if they are laterals, or if they plan to make more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard LAS made 3 offers. I am not sure if they are laterals, or if they plan to make more.
Is this all anyone has heard? Nothing formal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I heard LAS made 3 offers. I am not sure if they are laterals, or if they plan to make more.
I heard they made offers already

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I heard they made offers already
I got a rejection on 8/30

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flashdril

New

Post by flashdril » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry all, brand new to this thread. Hoping I could get some insight about applying for an attorney position with DC PDS. Background: I graduated in May and accepted a position in my hometown Public Defender where I will begin in a few weeks, so long as I passed the bar.

Having said that, the office I'll be in is a small, midwestern operation, which is totally fine, but I'd really like to compete for a job at a place like DC PDS. I saw a tweet a couple days ago saying DC PDS is now accepting applications for fall 2018, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to compete for one of these positions or if they exclusively hire 3Ls. Any insight regarding whether a PD with approximately 1 year of experience can compete for an entry level attorney position at DC PDS would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've heard that DC PDS essentially wants public defense purists and that I should omit any DOJ/DA experience I have from my resume. Can anyone vouch for whether that's accurate? I'd like to think I could effectively show a commitment to public defense while still including my DOJ and DA office internships, but if those experiences would be viewed negatively, I can leave them off.

Advanced thanks for any insight you might have on either of these two issues.
If you leave out the experience, how would you explain the gaps?
Unequivocally a concern of mine I had already been thinking of. Not sure I have a very good answer as of yet. Even if I leave off a DOJ and DA internship, I also did a clinic, interned in a PD's office, was a research assistant for a professor, and clerked at an immigration firm, but you're still right -- it'd be hard to explain why it my resume doesn't show what I did in the summer leading up to my 3L year.
Yes, that is a tough one. My gut tells me to steer into the skid mainly because you don't want to get caught lying. So I would be prepared to say what you learned from that, and what you saw in those jobs that made you not want to go back. You would have to walk a fine line between classy/confidentiality and passion. This is a tough situation, but I think you'll have an advantage considering that you'll have one year of experience in a PD office. By then hopefully you'll have some solid examples that show you are really a PD rather than a person looking for the hottest opportunity for yourself. I would certainly ask around. The more feedback the better.
This makes total sense. I appreciate your insight, many thanks.
If you try this, make what I've bolded as clear as possible in a cover letter. From what I've heard, hyper competitive places like PDS will use any lack of "public defense purism" as a filter and just throw out those resumes off the top. You're not going to have the opportunity to get an interview and then explain why you have prosecution experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Have a panel interview with LAS coming up. Anyone whose done it, can you describe what actually happens during it? Do you just show up and do your summation or do they do some q&a first and then go into it?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:33 pm

So those of you applying to big pd places are you getting local experience prior to applying and moving, or are all of you applying out of school prior to bar test?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:05 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:So those of you applying to big pd places are you getting local experience prior to applying and moving, or are all of you applying out of school prior to bar test?
Unsure what your question is here.

Majority of PD offices don't hire pre-bar. There's the big name places that hire pre-bar and people from around the country typically apply without it being strange that they are not from there, e.g. NYC Legal Aid Society, Bronx Defenders, PDS, OPD, Miami. Almost every serious applicant has serious PD chops in terms of summer internships/clinics/semester externships etc.

Then there are the offices that hire pre-bar that are smaller and are more inclined to take applicants who are from the area/have a reason to be there.

Then there are the post-bar offices that you usually end up at because you worked somewhere locally and then laterally over at some point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:So those of you applying to big pd places are you getting local experience prior to applying and moving, or are all of you applying out of school prior to bar test?

Majority of PD offices don't hire pre-bar. There's the big name places that hire pre-bar and people from around the country typically apply without it being strange that they are not from there, e.g. NYC Legal Aid Society, Bronx Defenders, PDS, OPD, Miami. Almost every serious applicant has serious PD chops in terms of summer internships/clinics/semester externships etc.

Then there are the offices that hire pre-bar that are smaller and are more inclined to take applicants who are from the area/have a reason to be there.

Then there are the post-bar offices that you usually end up at because you worked somewhere locally and then laterally over at some point.
Sorry, I'll try to clarify.

I see more active posts in here relating to the first description. I was asking if those of you trying to get on to the larger cities are doing so out of school or as laterals after working locally for a couple years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:23 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry, I'll try to clarify.

I see more active posts in here relating to the first description. I was asking if those of you trying to get on to the larger cities are doing so out of school or as laterals after working locally for a couple years.
Majority of offices that hirer pre-bar hirer the majority of their class pre-bar (if that makes sense). As in, if you want to go to one of those big offices you should definitely be applying for the pre-bar start. However, everyone needs laterals so it's not that nobody hires them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a panel interview with LAS coming up. Anyone whose done it, can you describe what actually happens during it? Do you just show up and do your summation or do they do some q&a first and then go into it?
Usual PD interview stuff. My panel came at me pretty hard with their questions about my general experience then shifted to strategy/legal analysis about the fact pattern. We did some client interaction role-play, then I gave my summation and that was pretty much it. I think every panel might be different though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:22 pm

Anyone have any info on what to expect from OPD during first screening interview?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:37 am

Has anyone who applied for an EJW interview with Bronx Defenders received an actual response from them (either accepted or not accepted)? My application on the EJW system still says "Requested" even though the deadline for employers to choose interviewees was Friday...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who applied for an EJW interview with Bronx Defenders received an actual response from them (either accepted or not accepted)? My application on the EJW system still says "Requested" even though the deadline for employers to choose interviewees was Friday...
A friend of a friend asked and they are expecting responses this evening.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Has anyone who did not summer at Bronx Defenders hear about full-time interviews yet? No one I know has heard from them (minus people who summered there)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who applied for an EJW interview with Bronx Defenders received an actual response from them (either accepted or not accepted)? My application on the EJW system still says "Requested" even though the deadline for employers to choose interviewees was Friday...

Like late evening or what???

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This person got a no from Bronx this AM

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This person got a no from Bronx this AM

Got ya, still waiting on my end. Hopefully no news is good news. Thanks for the update

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:10 am

Accept at Bronx through EJW-3L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Got an interview invite for Bronx too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Invitation to interview with Kings County. Anyone know what to expect?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview invite for Bronx too.
through EJW or outside EJW?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an interview invite for Bronx too.
through EJW or outside EJW?
Through EJW.

alli-22

New

Post by alli-22 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Invitation to interview with Kings County. Anyone know what to expect?
King County in Seattle or Kings County in New York City? And as an intern or for a job?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”