3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
satu8030

New

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by satu8030 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:33 pm

mtaclic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mtaclic wrote:
satu8030 wrote:
mtaclic wrote:Has anyone applied and heard back from Legal Aid Society Juvenile Rights Practice (NYC)? Or had a final interview with attorney-in-charge?
I applied to the Brooklyn JRP Unit--I had a final interview with the attorney-in-charge at the end of February. AIC said offers wouldn't come until May. I even tried to leverage with a job offer but still nothing. :(. DId you apply?
Yeah I applied but I haven't heard anything. How do you think the interview went? I thought I did really well in my panel - but I couldn't tell in my final round.
Have you heard anything? Still nothing on my end. Thinking about sending an email.
No not yet - I really hope I hear back soon. At least a rejection if anything so I can figure everything out.
Checking in again--still nothing over here. Painful.

Carrie.B.Homeland

New

Post by Carrie.B.Homeland » Thu May 17, 2018 1:10 am

Anyone still in the LA or San Bernardino PD interview process? Recently received word from OC that they had chosen 'another candidate' anyone have any info re:number of PD1's they hired? Much thanks.

hahayahah

New

Post by hahayahah » Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hahayahah wrote:Longtime lurker, first-time poster.

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone with any insight or advice on the Skype interview with Colorado.
Do you already interview? I’m assuming so. Update?
Interview went very well and I wound up accepting an employment offer back in December. Hoping to get cleared for the bar soon and looking forward to finding out where I'm going to be. Like at least one other poster in this thread, I'm hoping to wind up somewhere rural. Curious about when most people wind up starting--I indicated I'd be available as early as August, but I suspect it'll be a while longer. Feel free to PM.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Did anyone apply to Legal Aid Society - PRDU?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:04 pm

satu8030 wrote:
mtaclic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mtaclic wrote:
satu8030 wrote:
mtaclic wrote:Has anyone applied and heard back from Legal Aid Society Juvenile Rights Practice (NYC)? Or had a final interview with attorney-in-charge?
I applied to the Brooklyn JRP Unit--I had a final interview with the attorney-in-charge at the end of February. AIC said offers wouldn't come until May. I even tried to leverage with a job offer but still nothing. :(. DId you apply?
Yeah I applied but I haven't heard anything. How do you think the interview went? I thought I did really well in my panel - but I couldn't tell in my final round.
Have you heard anything? Still nothing on my end. Thinking about sending an email.
No not yet - I really hope I hear back soon. At least a rejection if anything so I can figure everything out.
i just got informed i didn’t get the job but i was shortlisted

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone apply to Legal Aid Society - PRDU?
I did. Waiting to hear back about second round. I think they're looking to be done by the end of June.

Relatedly, is there any more news about the CDP line hiring? Are they done? I was a finalist for the Tina round, but then heard crickets.

I've also heard news that everyone is starting earlier this year - in September, instead of October/November. Is that 'right, too?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 pm

I heard September/October at the PRDU interview. I don't know anything about what's going on with the CDP practice. I've seen on prior posts in the forum that if you are a third interview finalist, then an offer is likely. At the end of the day, it seems like one can't really predict when people hear back. I know I'm not much help re: your question, but sending you good vibes~~

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 pm

Well the interview with the second office is coming up on 4 weeks old now. Didn't even acknowledge the thank you letter. I really thought that interview went great, the best I've ever had. I would be really happy for that job and a chance to work with the people and clients there. I'm seriously contemplating not sitting for July.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtaclic

New

Post by mtaclic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 pm

satu8030 wrote:
mtaclic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mtaclic wrote:
satu8030 wrote:
checking in - have you heard?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Well the interview with the second office is coming up on 4 weeks old now. Didn't even acknowledge the thank you letter. I really thought that interview went great, the best I've ever had. I would be really happy for that job and a chance to work with the people and clients there. I'm seriously contemplating not sitting for July.
I feel that. I get a little deflated and nervous when interviewer's don't acknowledge my thank you note, but I don't think I've ever had anyone respond to thank you letters yet. As for sitting for the bar, come through!

I've been through a year of not being barred (long story involving three JX), and it SUCKS. People seem to prefer to know you're barred elsewhere versus not being barred at all. I don't know what your particular situation is, but generally I have found that having a license is better than no license. Also, NY administers the UBE, sooooo you're taking the bar exam of like 25 different states (in case NY isn't the only place you're looking at).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well the interview with the second office is coming up on 4 weeks old now. Didn't even acknowledge the thank you letter. I really thought that interview went great, the best I've ever had. I would be really happy for that job and a chance to work with the people and clients there. I'm seriously contemplating not sitting for July.
I feel that. I get a little deflated and nervous when interviewer's don't acknowledge my thank you note, but I don't think I've ever had anyone respond to thank you letters yet. As for sitting for the bar, come through!

I've been through a year of not being barred (long story involving three JX), and it SUCKS. People seem to prefer to know you're barred elsewhere versus not being barred at all. I don't know what your particular situation is, but generally I have found that having a license is better than no license. Also, NY administers the UBE, sooooo you're taking the bar exam of like 25 different states (in case NY isn't the only place you're looking at).
not taking ube, this was my second chance at one of the state offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Although the state I was applying to was UBE, I wasn't going to take a UBE exam. (it's a thing, just if I were to explain it it would out where I applied and where I'm taking the bar). I am probably going to do UBE in Feb though, now.

SavvyLaw

New

Post by SavvyLaw » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:17 am

Hey, everyone.
Hope bar prep is going well. Its terrible I know. I am just checking in with fellow Colorado peeps. Any of you who put August start date hear from admin? Still hoping to get Pueblo or some other Southern Colorado office. Also current or form PD's where were y'all placed in CO?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:55 am

Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who is currently at Colorado PD or going there know when we will find out our office placements? I talked to some people who started last year and they said they learned their placement in July and started in August. Have they made placements sooner than that in the past? Any information is appreciated!
they will probably ask you if you want to start sooner or later when you get bar results. Sometimes you can start the next week if you really hate yourself. But generally most people will be placed in august with notice of where and when given about 30 days earlier. could be later though like guy above said. I didnt get placed till january, but got job offer in may.

@Borhas Did you find out placement in December then or not until January? I told them I could start at the beginning of the year or in January. Also any thoughts on placement? Southern Colorado an option, meaning placement in Pueblo, La Junta, Alamosa? Or are most people placed in the counties surrounding Denver?
Thanks!

BattleoftheForms

New

Post by BattleoftheForms » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:28 pm

SavvyLaw wrote:Hey, everyone.
Hope bar prep is going well. Its terrible I know. I am just checking in with fellow Colorado peeps. Any of you who put August start date hear from admin? Still hoping to get Pueblo or some other Southern Colorado office. Also current or form PD's where were y'all placed in CO?
Hey, Savvy! I said I could start mid-August, and still haven't heard anything. :cry: I recently met someone who heard from admin and is starting around the first of the month (I think they're going to Denver or somewhere close to it).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:49 pm

BattleoftheForms wrote:
SavvyLaw wrote:Hey, everyone.
Hey, Savvy! I said I could start mid-August, and still haven't heard anything. :cry: I recently met someone who heard from admin and is starting around the first of the month (I think they're going to Denver or somewhere close to it).

You’ll probably hear soon then. I told them January because I am coming from out of state. Also I tried to OM you but I don’t know how, new to TLS. I wanted to start sooner but wanted to wait for Bar results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:48 am

Hey all! Rising 3L here that could use a little advice on applying for PD jobs after two years of doing (mostly) civil rights/legal aid work, and a little bit of defense/capital work.

To make a long story still relatively long, I came into law school primarily interested in civil rights work. Accordingly, I spent my first summer doing police accountability work, and joined my schools civil rights clinic last year. It wasn't until after I decided on my internship for this summer (ridiculously early in the school year because #publicinterest) that I started to feel really compelled by criminal/juvenile defense work - due to a combination of pro-bono work I did last year, and some really kick-ass criminal procedure professors. For logistical reasons I wasn't able to split my summer and intern with a PD office, but I'm planning on joining the defense clinic my school runs and maybe volunteering part-time for my city's PD office next year.

I guess my question is this - does anyone have any advice in applying for jobs with a resume that is unquestionably "public interest" heavy, but that doesn't have a lot of pure criminal defense work? If it makes any difference, my job this summer is primarily focused on prisoners rights and criminal justice reform, with a decent amount of client/direct representation work.

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all! Rising 3L here that could use a little advice on applying for PD jobs after two years of doing (mostly) civil rights/legal aid work, and a little bit of defense/capital work.

To make a long story still relatively long, I came into law school primarily interested in civil rights work. Accordingly, I spent my first summer doing police accountability work, and joined my schools civil rights clinic last year. It wasn't until after I decided on my internship for this summer (ridiculously early in the school year because #publicinterest) that I started to feel really compelled by criminal/juvenile defense work - due to a combination of pro-bono work I did last year, and some really kick-ass criminal procedure professors. For logistical reasons I wasn't able to split my summer and intern with a PD office, but I'm planning on joining the defense clinic my school runs and maybe volunteering part-time for my city's PD office next year.

I guess my question is this - does anyone have any advice in applying for jobs with a resume that is unquestionably "public interest" heavy, but that doesn't have a lot of pure criminal defense work? If it makes any difference, my job this summer is primarily focused on prisoners rights and criminal justice reform, with a decent amount of client/direct representation work.

Thanks!
Recent graduate/future PD here! I had a very similar background (worked in legal aid before law school, did multiple internships at civil rights/legal aid offices). I switched gears and spent my 2L summer at a PD office, then did my school's PD clinic 3L, and was hired by a somewhat competitive office to start in August.

It's obviously a little more challenging than if you always knew you wanted PD work, but you can still do totally fine. Just have a really good answer for why you want to do PD work instead of civil rights/legal aid work. I was asked this in multiple interviews (specifically the "why not legal aid" part). And be able to talk about how any work you did in the past will translate directly into PD work (did you work directly with clients? stand up in court a lot? etc.) Interviewers can look at your resume and see right away that you care about the general mission, so they'll want to know what actual skills you have, and how they'll make you a good PD.

Most importantly, get some real criminal defense experience this year and play up the parts of your resume where it exists. Part of why PD offices like to see that you've spent time doing the work is because it's just really hard work that a lot of people think they'll like but actually don't. Most offices offices don't want to waste time training people who are going to get there and realize the work really isn't for them. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard September/October at the PRDU interview. I don't know anything about what's going on with the CDP practice. I've seen on prior posts in the forum that if you are a third interview finalist, then an offer is likely. At the end of the day, it seems like one can't really predict when people hear back. I know I'm not much help re: your question, but sending you good vibes~~
Anyone hear back from the PRDU?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Does anyone know how long it takes to get formal offer from LAS after recieving verbal offer + start date?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to get formal offer from LAS after recieving verbal offer + start date?
If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive your verbal offer and when is your tentative start date?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:29 pm

Applying for trial PD positions up and down the eastern seaboard. I've got a handle on eastern PA and NJ, but I'm less familiar with the NYC-area.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the culture and hiring process of LAS, NYCDS, BDS, BrxDef, NDS, NCLAS, WLAS, and SCLAS? Is there another defender org in the Queens and Staten Island boroughs? I've looked through this page, but it seems like things have changed in the past couple of years.

Thx

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:58 am

Any idea about the flexibility and timeline of the Orleans Public Defenders hiring process? I submitted my application recently and got an interview request only a few days later, which is AMAZING but it's so early in the year. I would love to work there, but I am gunning for Prettyman, Bronx and Brooklyn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Applying for trial PD positions up and down the eastern seaboard. I've got a handle on eastern PA and NJ, but I'm less familiar with the NYC-area.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the culture and hiring process of LAS, NYCDS, BDS, BrxDef, NDS, NCLAS, WLAS, and SCLAS? Is there another defender org in the Queens and Staten Island boroughs? I've looked through this page, but it seems like things have changed in the past couple of years.

Thx
Queens has Queens Law Associates, which I've heard is trying to make their program better. I know they hire pre-bar since a guy at my school was hired there last year. Not super sure about culture/hiring processes of the offices, but from what I've heard, Bronx hires first, LAS hires last or close to last.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:50 pm

anyone know what to expect in 3rd round interviews? have one with BDS coming up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”