3L Public Defender Applications Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: 3L Public Defender Applications

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:55 pm

fuuuuutureeeee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:they might still be inviting to interview? just know of at least one person who got a call
Thanks for the update! Also waiting to hear from them and haven't heard anything. Do you happen to know when your friend got called?
My 2 friends who got Prettyman interviews got calls last Thursday. I haven't heard anything yet but I'm assuming it's not taking them multiple days to call people for interviews so I'm just waiting for the eventual rejection.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:17 pm

Does anyone have any information about the application process for the Colorado Public Defender? I am an out-of-state applicant, but I applied back in August for a Fall 2018 position, and I still haven't heard anything back. Do people who interned with the Colorado Public Defender over the summer have a better chance of securing a job? I have a significant amount of experience working at a public defender's office, just not in Colorado. I tried to email them to get an update, but I didn't get a response. I know that the deadline to apply is November 30, so maybe they interview people after the deadline?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information about the application process for the Colorado Public Defender? I am an out-of-state applicant, but I applied back in August for a Fall 2018 position, and I still haven't heard anything back. Do people who interned with the Colorado Public Defender over the summer have a better chance of securing a job? I have a significant amount of experience working at a public defender's office, just not in Colorado. I tried to email them to get an update, but I didn't get a response. I know that the deadline to apply is November 30, so maybe they interview people after the deadline?
they've been doing second round interviews with out of state people who did screeners at EJW. Maybe they don't do non-EJW first rounds until after the application closes? they made it sound like in the second round that they're not even interviewing local applicants yet, so i wouldn't give up all hope, but maybe time to make sure youre applying broadly

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:06 pm

what kinds of questions did NJ ask?

and for those who interviewed at other places, what kinds of questions should I expect in a PD interview, more generally? should I study criminal law? memorize outlines?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Could anyone who has gone through the 2nd round with Bronx please tell me what the general structure is like, i.e. a conversation or hypos?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:26 pm

When people say hypos, what are they talking about? Like law school fact patterns where you analyze legal doctrine?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When people say hypos, what are they talking about? Like law school fact patterns where you analyze legal doctrine?
It could mean analyzing legal doctrine, but could also apply to ethical situations with clients and how you would respond. For job interviews, I group mock presentations (opening, closing, cross) in that category as well since you are basing it off a presented hypothetical.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Could anyone who has gone through the 2nd round with Bronx please tell me what the general structure is like, i.e. a conversation or hypos?
Literally just a conversation with you and 5-6 staff (including attys, social workers, advocates). No hypos, no performance aspect, really all about you and why BxD. Conversation kind of goes from there. They might ask you about how you would handle certain clients in crisis, but not as a hypo just to see what you think is important etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Could anyone who has gone through the 2nd round with Bronx please tell me what the general structure is like, i.e. a conversation or hypos?
Literally just a conversation with you and 5-6 staff (including attys, social workers, advocates). No hypos, no performance aspect, really all about you and why BxD. Conversation kind of goes from there. They might ask you about how you would handle certain clients in crisis, but not as a hypo just to see what you think is important etc.
Thanks so much for answering. I really appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks so much for answering. I really appreciate it.
thats the point of this thread!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:34 am

How are we supposed to analyze legal doctrine without research tools? My crim pro class was a while ago I don't have cases memorized ...

Also, has anyone interviewed for an appellate position or know if those interviews are similar to trial interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:How are we supposed to analyze legal doctrine without research tools? My crim pro class was a while ago I don't have cases memorized ...

Also, has anyone interviewed for an appellate position or know if those interviews are similar to trial interviews?
No one expects you to have memorized cases. Also it’s very rare to be asked crim pro hypos on the spot Miami does it but few others. And even when Miami does it it’s like super basic crim pro. Reasonable suspicion needed probable cause needed, Miranda required etc

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:43 am

I know of at least one King County (Seattle) offer going out

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know of at least one King County (Seattle) offer going out
Is King County still interviewing applicants? Any rejections to second rounders?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know of at least one King County (Seattle) offer going out
Is King County still interviewing applicants? Any rejections to second rounders?
Likely not the demographic you are looking for, but I received a rejection email. Was never invited for an interview. Was told I could apply for open attorney positions that might become available in 2018.

Sighhhhhh

The PD application process can be so demoralizing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Likely not the demographic you are looking for, but I received a rejection email. Was never invited for an interview. Was told I could apply for open attorney positions that might become available in 2018.

Sighhhhhh

I got rejected yesterday too. Had a first-round interview via skype about 5-6 weeks ago, hadn't heard anything since then. Another classmate of mine in the same boat also got rejected.

This application process has indeed been very demoralizing (getting rejected places where I interned without even an interview, womp womp)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:45 pm

sorry to hear that guys, it sucks but its still early in the application process for a lot of places!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Does BDS do two or three rounds of interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sighhhhhh

Any idea on how many King County was looking to hire? Trying to gauge the competitiveness. Are they a newer office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sighhhhhh

Any idea on how many King County was looking to hire? Trying to gauge the competitiveness. Are they a newer office?
Unfortunately, I have no idea. The email only said the office anticipated some open attorney positions that might be posted in the 1st quarter of 2018. I am not sure about whether the office is new or not, but during EJW table talk was told that they are undergoing a restructuring in their model.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sighhhhhh

Unfortunately, I have no idea. The email only said the office anticipated some open attorney positions that might be posted in the 1st quarter of 2018. I am not sure about whether the office is new or not, but during EJW table talk was told that they are undergoing a restructuring in their model.
The office was formed about 5 years ago when the local nonprofits consolidated and became county employees. According to this thread, last year was the first time the office hired pre-bar but they still hired some folks post-bar. All this info is easily available via google, on their website or by looking back in this thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sighhhhhh

The office was formed about 5 years ago when the local nonprofits consolidated and became county employees. According to this thread, last year was the first time the office hired pre-bar but they still hired some folks post-bar. All this info is easily available via google, on their website or by looking back in this thread.
This helpful thank you. I sadly admit 3l has made me lazy....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Has anyone ever interviewed with the Division of Mental Health Advocacy or the Special Hearings Unit (aka SHU, which handles all things Megan's Law) within the New Jersey Office of the Public Defender? Tips/tricks? Know how people in those units are traditionally hired? Thank you!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 pm

King County is planning to hire 15 new attorneys initially.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:King County is planning to hire 15 new attorneys initially.

How do you know?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”